Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    Well, we are all waiting with bated breath for Ironman 70.3 Dublin in Aug '15.

Now that it has been announced, there is no risk to that not happening, right....?;)

This was put up on Facebook this morning...my thoughts? 'ummm that's not real''

1545022_10204312993532422_843009219194503878_n.jpg?oh=701b191a027f17991efde5c28b528924&oe=54CDA83A&__gda__=1422201986_f24bdffe78b71e99de52450fbd9bbe5f

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^^^Ive seen pictures of leprechauns too but they don't really exist either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I just had a look at the official results, and I have a correction to make - my cheating hussy friend did indeed finish the race - finished 13th. She must've gotten herself together and started moving again, so I will give her that. But she's still a cheater. Karma still wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I just had a look at the official results, and I have a correction to make - my cheating hussy friend did indeed finish the race - finished 13th. She must've gotten herself together and started moving again, so I will give her that. But she's still a cheater. Karma still wins.

Speaking of official results there's a hilarious thread on Slowtwitch where people are arguing that the first person over the line wasn't actually the winner because there were no pros in the race. WTC seem to be of this opinion apparently as well.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Speaking of official results there's a hilarious thread on Slowtwitch where people are arguing that the first person over the line wasn't actually the winner because there were no pros in the race. WTC seem to be of this opinion apparently as well.

cham·pi·on
    ˈCHampēən/
    noun
    a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.
    "a champion hurdler"
    synonyms: winner, titleholder, defending champion, gold medalist, titlist, record holder

win·ner
    ˈwinər/
    noun
    a person or thing that wins something.
    "a Nobel Prize winner"
    synonyms: victor, champion, conqueror, vanquisher, hero

I scanned some of that slowtwitch, and I don't get it. ?? Why would anyone, including WTC, argue the fastest male and female participants in IM Maryland were not the champions? During the briefing I attended on Thursday, the folks at IronMan made a big deal about this event being able to crown non-pros IronMan Champions. They were all jazzed about it. So unless I'm missing something here (other than perhaps some pros' egos being out of whack), I honestly don't get it. ???

• Advertisement

Confuses the hell out of me too. I havent seen the thread on st tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

griffin100 wrote: »

Who was the winner then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Happy Birthday Dory, hope you're having a lovely day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Happy n+1day Dory! I do believe a set of 100's off 2:00 is traditional?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

That next age grade can't come quick enough :D

Happy birthday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I was thinking it was very quite over here. Must have been some party !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Happy Cake Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy bday DD. Special day for me now too :D

I believe a set of years of age x 100m reps is the tradition

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Dory, hope you're having a lovely day.

I did! Thank you!!! :)
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Happy n+1day Dory! I do believe a set of 100's off 2:00 is traditional?:)

Pity. I'm in recovery from the IM, otherwise you know I would have been <cough> all over that idea! ;)
    catweazle wrote: »
    That next age grade can't come quick enough :D

Happy birthday!

Stop trying to make me older than I already am!!! ;) (but thanks :))
    pgmcpq wrote: »
    I was thinking it was very quite over here. Must have been some party !

Don't worry, I've been doing a bit of training...but I decided that I'd give you folks a break from my long-winded drivel while I was recovering. Instead, I'll just write up one epic post this weekend recanting the last 2 weeks of life and training after IM Maryland. :D
    Happy Cake Day!

No cake today. :( But I am sitting here eating a hell of a bowl of Espresso Chocolate Chip ice cream and sipping on a Straw-ber-Rita Margarita. Happy birthday to me!! :)
    Happy bday DD. Special day for me now too :D

I believe a set of years of age x 100m reps is the tradition

A very special day for you indeed. Happy birthday little Zoe - what an honor to share this day with you. :)

After IM Maryland, I decided to give this piece of Boards real estate a bit of a breather for two weeks while I recovered and did nothing of any structure....but here it is two weeks to the day after my race, so in very brief form (by Dory standards) here are the highlights of the past 14 days:

Sunday, September 21st, 2014 - Hobbled home with stinky race clothes and a shiny IM medal that is in the shape of the official state crustacean of Maryland (not kidding!!!), the blue crab. :D
    Monday, September 22nd, 2014 - Tummy still not able to take much real food in, but I had no trouble eating an entire large bag of Gummi Bears all by myself during work.
    Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 - Still struggling with real food, so it seemed logical to try and eat half my weight in Oreo cookies.
    Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 - Why ruin a good thing? Tried to eat the other half of my weight in Oreo cookies.
    Thursday, September 25th, 2014 - Finally!! I felt up for a little evening swim!! Woo hoo! 2,000 easy yards.
    Friday, September 26th, 2014 - Honestly, I have no recollection of anything of any significance on this day.
    Saturday, September 27th, 2014 - Drank a bottle of wine (first in months!) and devoured a piping hot homemade (by yours truly!) lava cake with vanilla ice cream as I celebrated with friends. :)

Sunday, September 28th, 2014 - After a week of basically eating my way in junk food, I felt up to an easy field run under the midday sun. Legs were heavy and quads had a dull soreness about them, but it was nice to shake them out. 6.3 easy field miles. Followed the run up with an evening swim to make the world right. 2,000 easy yards.
    Monday, September 29th, 2014 - Lunchtime sneaky field run...easy....and short. Legs still heavy. 4.2 easy field miles. A lovely evening swim was on the menu after work. 2,000 easy yards.
    Tuesday, September 30th, 2014 - Lunchtime sneaky field run...still felt the IM in them. 6.3 easy field miles. Another gorgeous evening, so another gorgeous swim. 2,000 easy yards.
    Wednesday, October 1st, 2014 - Lunchtime sneaky field run....but the legs felt pretty dang good!! Woo hoo!! :)6.3 easy field miles. Another evening swim to add balance to the day. 2,000 easy yards.
    Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 - Yep, it was another field run...6.3 easy field miles....and another evening swim...2,000 easy yards.
    Friday, October 3rd, 2014 - Total rest day!!!
    Saturday, October 4th, 2014 - Culpeper Cycling Century - You read that correctly...I did a century bike ride today, just 2 weeks after the IM. :o Briefly, it was a beautiful ride in an area in my region that I am not familiar with, so it was a treat to explore new territory. The ride consisted of mainly healthy rolling hills with a few relatively short climbs to provide an elevation gain of +5,750 feet. I didn't start to hate life until somewhere between the 60 and 70 mile range, but between the wind that was gaining more steam by the mile, and the hills that seemed to never end, let's just say the final 30 plus miles were character building for me. It was a great ride in so many respects (well organized, nice rest stops with plenty of food and drink), but I do not recommend doing a century only 14 days after a full IM. 102 miles on the Mad One way too soon after my IM.

A few other notes about these last two weeks:

I was shocked at how tired I was in week one post IM. All I wanted to do was sleep (and apparently eat crap!). In week two, the energy started coming back, and the body seems to be injury free after the 140.6 miles. I've been pouring over possible IM races for 2015, looking at the swim (is it one loop? point to point? downstream? upstream? rolling start? lake or river?), the bike (is it hilly or flat?), the run (basically, is it hilly or flat?), the location (can I drive? or do I have to fly?), and the time of year (is it late enough in the summer to maximize my pool time?). My gut tells me that my ideal race would contain a swim with a rolling start in a lake with a single loop, a bike on a semi-hilly course with about 3,500 feet of elevation gain, and a run that is flat. Haven't found that race yet. Still looking. But in the meantime, the one race that has caught my attention has all the elements of the swim I describe, but has ~8,000 feet of climbing on the bike followed by a hilly run. :eek: After today, I question the wisdom of me even considering a race that has that kind of bike climbing in it. Not sure how I'd even run on a flat course - I think my thighs would disown me!!

Sunday, October 5th, 2014

After yesterday's 102 mile mischief, I decided today might be a swim only day. :) But, as luck would have it, the temps dropped to near freezing last night and apparently my pool heater had kicked off sometime between Thursday and this morning, thus resulting in a water temp waaayy too nippy for me to dip my tootsies (or anything else!) into. :eek::mad: Sooooo, it didn't take too much arm twisting to convince me to go for a very gentle and very disciplined R-E-C-O-V-E-R-Y field trot in the spectacular evening that it was. OMG....September around here is gorgeous, but I kid you not, October is frickin' off the charts.

Legs felt remarkably good, which delighted me to no end....but curiously enough, this gentle jog unearthed some sore muscles shortly after I stopped moving. ?? So I decided to do a little yoga and foam rolling (both of which have been horribly neglected!). The yoga felt nice, but I was cursing the evil foam roller with gusto! Holy crap....I think every muscle in my legs and derriere were in misery...especially my glutes. ?? I guess those hills yesterday woke up some sleeping dogs! :eek:

Actual run: 3.5 recovery field miles followed by yoga and foam rolling

Monday, October 6th, 2014

Unstructured whateveryouwanttocallthis continues. Sneaky lunchtime field run done under a sun shiny sky with the wind blowing about. Lovely, really. This was done recovery style, so it was nice and easy....but that begs the question: have I allowed my "recovery" to be nice and easy "enough" these last two weeks? I'm not good at this...for many reasons...recovery, that is. So with that being said, the remainder of this week will be pretty boring around here....going to try and actually recover. Boo hiss...and barf. I'm not a fan.

Actual run: 4.2 recovery miles done sneaky lunchtime style in my field of dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Much though I hate to recommend things that aren't running :) easy cycling or easy swimming would be better for recovery because there's no impact.
    Particularly if you're the kind of person who always does their easy runs too fast...

What's your view on Phelps being banned for 6 months for a personal incident (Drunk Driving charge)? Unsure how I feel myself.

What's your view on Phelps being banned for 6 months for a personal incident (Drunk Driving charge)? Unsure how I feel myself.

He's a repeat offender, so I have no problem with it. He knows better....he's to set a good example for others....drunk driving kills....he knows better.

• Advertisement

He's a repeat offender, so I have no problem with it. He knows better....he's to set a good example for others....drunk driving kills....he knows better.

I guess you're right. If I had to choose a black or white standpoint I'd side with yours. Obviously the argument is his private life shouldn't affect his sporting/professional life.

I guess you're right. If I had to choose a black or white standpoint I'd side with yours. Obviously the argument is his private life shouldn't affect his sporting/professional life.

Yes, I totally understood/understand the argument, but my personal feeling is we are not talking about which (if any) religion he chooses to practice, or who he chooses to love, or what his favorite color is....drunk driving is highly irresponsible with tragic potential, and I would hope the sport I fondly and proudly associate myself with would take a hard stand on something so serious. Plus, he was only banned from doing something he loves for 6 months. If he had killed someone while driving drunk, that victim would be banned from doing something he/she loves for life. 6 months is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I disagree - they should keep out of it and let the law deal with it - certainly with misdemeanors anyways its opening up a can of worms and they will have difficulty in the future on where to draw the line.

Should Messi be banned for dodging tax
    Should Terry be banned for parking in a wheelchair parking spot
    Should Rooney have been banned for that granny prostitute

However I had forgotten its his 2nd time for this particular offense which is very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

From my reading about it when a swimmer signs up to the USA national team they enter a contract and it has rules attached to it, seems like he broke one of the rules that he agreed with and has to deal with the consequences now. I think it's right, not just for his second offence, should be the same if it was his first. Would they have banned him if he was in top form and pushing for a big number of medals, I don't think so. He might be a big name and will generate publicity but don't think he was fancied to win a huge number of medals at the world championships.

to bring it off topic a bit, footballers contracts are a stange thing. Since the premiership has grown it is only in the last 3-5 years that the contracts caught up. When Wenger brought one of the first batch of French players they said they couldn't get around how lax the contracts where, they could eat what they want, drink what they want, do what they want. Was a completely different story to the continent. England starting to catch up now but still a bit behind, Jack Wilshere being fined by the club for smoking is an example. But they still seem to keep it to things that might have a direct effect on the performance on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

catweazle wrote: »
    I disagree - they should keep out of it and let the law deal with it - certainly with misdemeanors anyways its opening up a can of worms and they will have difficulty in the future on where to draw the line.

Should Messi be banned for dodging tax
    Should Terry be banned for parking in a wheelchair parking spot
    Should Rooney have been banned for that granny prostitute

For the first two - while not good no one is likely to get killed/injured. For the third - what the guy does in private - who cares.

I'm not sure that DWI is a misdemeanor.

Looking from the perspective outside the sport (or any sport) I see the question asked: "Wait ... he'd get banned for doping, but they're ok with behavior that could potentially kill someone ?"

It also depends on what an athlete owes to his/her sport/team. In this case it seems it is laid out in a contract ?

Tuesday, October 7th, 2014

Yep, still tired today....more tired than I feel I should be at this point in the recovery process. Oh, but that's right, this is Dory, and it is quite possible that the 12,000 yards of swimming, 102 miles of cycling, and 37 miles of running I did last week may not have qualified as "recovery". :rolleyes: Crap. I am so not good at this...but today was pretty much a rest day due to my understanding that I need to fully recover, otherwise I will never "get on with it". Lots of come-to-Jesus moments today regarding training/racing, past and present...resulting in a bit of clarity in some respects. But I digress...as noted yesterday, the rest of this week will be all about getting the body back to where it needs to be. And if I write that enough times on my log I'll start to believe it. ;)So not good at this.

Evening storms eliminated all thoughts of going for an easy swim, so it was me and my two yogi cats bending, stretching and flexing in the comfort of my great room while the wind and rain howled all around us. Followed the yoga up with some core work (good god, do I have abdominal muscles?) and foam rolling.

That was about as far from recovery as you can get. For comparison, in my first two weeks post race I was not supposed to run over 20 mins, swim over 30, and bike over an hour. All low effort, no more than two sessions of each, and do nothing at all if I prefer.

Your body lies to you in the first while after IM. Saying it's fine when it's not!

Oryx wrote: »
    That was about as far from recovery as you can get. For comparison, in my first two weeks post race I was not supposed to run over 20 mins, swim over 30, and bike over an hour. All low effort, no more than two sessions of each, and do nothing at all if I prefer.

Your body lies to you in the first while after IM. Saying it's fine when it's not!

I don't do well without structure or defined parameters. If I'm told in general terms to "go easy for the next few weeks blah, blah, blah...let the body recover blah, blah, blah....leave the technology at home and just do things for fun blah, blah, blah...", what my mind processes is "do what makes you happy, just do less of it, and at an easier effort." Which, um, is sort of what I did (the happy/less/easy part)....but apparently I may not have embraced the full meaning of recovery with my actions. Plus, there's the inner struggle with my inner Super Woman and the fact that I've got the NY City marathon in just over 3 weeks, which was one of my come-to-Jesus moments yesterday with the realization that it's easy to do a lot of things very mediocrely, instead of doing a few things very well. But the good news is I'm learning, the body feels good (other than lingering fatigue), and after throwing up the white flag yesterday I have a little more of a realistic plan in my head. But make no bones about it, at this moment in time, recovery sucks worse than taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

recovery sucks worse than taper.

.... but less than the injury ? or getting to mile 18 in NYC and heading for a bagel instead of the finish line ?

:eek:

;)

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    .... but less than the injury ? or getting to mile 18 in NYC and heading for a bagel instead of the finish line ?

:eek:

;)

;) What kind of bagel are we talking?

:)

Advertisement