Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Oryx wrote: »
    I wondered the same but the pic earlier in the thread explains all. It is indeed a submerged treadmill.

I saw the picture, but still wan't very clear...are you running under water? So, do you wear your swimming togs and your runners???
    Must google it and see what it looks like in action!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It is indeed an underwater treadmill! And I do wear my swimming togs, but no runners. It's all bare feet, baby! This is all incredibly brand new to me, so I'm feeling my way through it....but for the two sessions I've done, I have the treadmill running while the wave current is at a swim pace of 2:15 min/100 meters. Obviously, the hope is to up the current slowly as time goes on. It's very dynamic. I love it!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It is indeed an underwater treadmill! And I do wear my swimming togs, but no runners. It's all bare feet, baby! This is all incredibly brand new to me, so I'm feeling my way through it....but for the two sessions I've done, I have the treadmill running while the wave current is at a swim pace of 2:15 min/100 meters. Obviously, the hope is to up the current slowly as time goes on. It's very dynamic. I love it!!! :)

What's next, a turbo trainer in the pool?
    Saw a couple of videos, and it seems to be very good for you...
    So how does it feel? And what are the reasons behind it? (from what I could find in google, it's used a lot for conditioning after injury, or after a long time off training...can't see that being you at all!!!

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    What's next, a turbo trainer in the pool?
    Saw a couple of videos, and it seems to be very good for you...
    So how does it feel? And what are the reasons behind it? (from what I could find in google, it's used a lot for conditioning after injury, or after a long time off training...can't see that being you at all!!!

:)

The hydro-treadmill is the offspring of my quest to install an endless pool. The endless pool idea came first, but when I was looking at all the bells and whistles I could get with the pool and saw the treadmill, I knew it would be absolutely ridiculous for me not to get it for many reasons. First and foremost, I'm getting ready to up my running mileage to crazy dimensions, and supplementing ground running with aqua running will help save my limbs. Next, having gone through a torn hip flexor injury last year, I see the how running in water can facilitate recovery while maintaining some running fitness. And, lastly, variety in training is the spice of life. ;)

How does it feel? Well, I smile a lot while I'm doing it. But it's interesting. The water hits me right at my armpits, so I have pretty much maxed out gravity-elimination....and because my entire moving body is working against the same resistance, my leg/body/arm movements are as similar to conventional running, but with drag. It's all about strength and pushing through the water...and my quads, hams and glutes can attest to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

:)
    The endless pool idea came first, but when I was looking at all the bells and whistles I could get with the pool and saw the treadmill, I knew it would be absolutely ridiculous for me not to get it for many reasons.

Ha ha the stock in trade comment for triathletes, I remember pulling out the ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS FOR ME NOT to phrase for the TT bike and for the foreign Ironman junket! Its kept in the bag and only used for the really big justification negotiations though. I would love to blag a foreign training holiday so it might be coming out soon but I think I am snookered on that one

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Ha ha the stock in trade comment for triathletes, I remember pulling out the ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS FOR ME NOT to phrase for the TT bike and for the foreign Ironman junket! Its kept in the bag and only used for the really big justification negotiations though. I would love to blag a foreign training holiday so it might be coming out soon but I think I am snookered on that one

Free room and board at Dory's Domicile. The training center is open!!! Blue Ridge Mountains....Skyline Drive...the Shenandoah River....Lake Arrowhead. Swimming, biking, running, hiking, kayaking....maybe even some hay bale jumping, if you time it just right! ;) And only 100 miles outside DC. :)

Friday, January 9th, 2015

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

Wind. Blustery, blowing arctic wind. Brrrr. But....the sun was shining. Hmmmm. ?? Nah....I just wasn't in the mood to slip and slide on the icy path for this 4 mile recovery run. Plus, this weekend is chock full of miles, so it was down to the warmth and safety of the treadie-in-a-basement for me!

Actual run: 4 recovery miles sneaky lunchtime treadie style

Snuck in some stretching and foam rolling post plod. Pampering the body before tomorrow's hell. ;):):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Free room and board at Dory's Domicile. The training center is open!!! Blue Ridge Mountains....Skyline Drive...the Shenandoah River....Lake Arrowhead. Swimming, biking, running, hiking, kayaking....maybe even some hay bale jumping, if you time it just right! ;) And only 100 miles outside DC. :)

Where do we sign up?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Where do we sign up?

All you have to do is PM me. ;)

It is a crazy idea....but we do have a good bit of room at our house....and with an outdoor lap pool and an indoor endless pool....and oodles of natural resources at our disposal, if anyone ever wanted to organize a boards week of training I'd take very good care of everyone!

All you have to do is PM me. ;)

It is a crazy idea....but we do have a good bit of room at our house....and with an outdoor lap pool and an indoor endless pool....and oodles of natural resources at our disposal, if anyone ever wanted to organize a boards week of training I'd take very good care of everyone!

Presumably you'd want us to leave at some point too though - therein lies the risk in your kind offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

I can attest to the awesome training resources on offer and that was before the endless pool. Truly great!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Open invitation to your gaff on a public message board.

Brave!

Oryx wrote: »
    Open invitation to your gaff on a public message board.

Brave!

Sure, what's the harm? Not like we don't have a little pond between us!

Sure, what's the harm? Not like we don't have a little pond between us!

And a 100mile radius around DC to search...

Saturday, January 10th, 2015

Run plan: 16 miles easy, am.....7 miles steady, pm

Oh, and I had a handicap today - no gels, and restricted nutrition between runs to help promote fuel efficiency.

:D

What's a girl not to like? ;)

AM -
    After giving the streets a glance, it was obvious there was still too much ice and snow laying about, thus making a street stomp way too dangerous for this Dory-do. So, into the snowy field in 18 degree Fahrenheit temperature I went to get this done. Sure, there's oodles of snow and ice on my running path, but all things considered this was the safer of the two choices.

From the very first mile, I really felt good - body felt good. I just ran by easy perceived effort, keeping in mind that the key run of the day was going to be the second one, so I was careful to be honest about my effort. No gels, no problem. The only mile I started to drag a bit on was mile 15, but I rallied on the final mile to finish in style. The snow and ice didn't cause me too much difficulty, but the slower paces below are pretty indicative of the miles that contained the most slippery of situations.

9:01, 9:10, 8:45, 8:58, 9:06, 9:13, 8:52, 9:06
    9:18, 8:55, 9:03, 9:02, 9:10, 8:47, 9:25, 8:47

Actual run, am - 16 miles in 2:24:48 for an average pace of 9:03 min/mile

PM -
    I kept nutrition between the two runs to a minimum, and after a 5 hour break, I hopped on the treadmill to knock out this second run. (The treadmill was the only option due to it being evening time, and due to the snow/ice on the streets) And, like the first run of the day, this went very well.

With the treadmill at a 1% incline, I eased into the first mile and settled into a pace of 8 min/mile - my steady pace....and I kept this pace going through mile 5. By mile 6, I was feeling strong enough to push it a bit, so I upped the pace to 7:54 min/mile...and then upped it again to 7:48 min/mile on mile 7. There honestly were no issues with this run - it was remarkably manageable, so I'm very, very pleased. :)

Actual run, pm - 7 miles steady on the treadie in 56:27

I immediately hopped on the Cat to spin the legs out for 30 minutes...then there was a little yoga mat action in the form of stretching and foam rolling.

Loving my run plan. Loving my pool. But need to give the Cat a little more love. !!!!

Sunday, January 11th, 2015

Run plan: 4 miles easy hydro-treadmill, am.....7 miles easy hydro-treadmill, pm

What an incredibly long day is seems to have been....

The first run was a lovely little number. I honestly don't remember all that much about it, but I'm sure I was smiling the entire time. Closed fists....rocking music....rushing current.....revolving platform. All in water. I've honestly died and gone to heaven. :)

Hopped out of the pool.....did some chores around the house while still in my bathing suit...and then hopped back in the pool for a short swim. I'm keeping the swimming easy for the moment....easing into things....concentrating on efficient stroke....but at times today I found myself hitting the wave grill indicating I was going a bit faster than the current. I considered upping the current, but I was enjoying the slow rhythm way too much to sway me. When I popped out of the pool I felt great. There is something therapeutic and comforting about a swim.

And....the last run of the day was the best aqua run to date! Arms were driving through the water with closed fists, and legs were following their cue. Not easy at times. And sometimes I found myself getting behind and having to claw my way back to the front of the treadmill. I also found myself belting out some pretty darned good harmony with the tunes that were coming from the wireless speakers at the edge of the pool. Pool acoustics are incredible! Who the feck knew?? :D I imagine my upper body might be a bit sore tomorrow...and maybe even my legs. This aqua running is going to be interesting to see how it translates in real performance.

Actual runs: 4 miles easy hydro-treadie, am....7 miles easy hydro-treadie, pm

Actual swim: ~1,800 meters in da tub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

So when we moved into the new(ish) house I installed a storm door on the front. Once the second person had attempted to walk through it :rolleyes: ...I took a decal the the kids of the previous occupant had left and taped it the storm door so people would see it and stop trying the walk though the door.

So tonight flipping through channels I found "Little Nemo". So it turns out we have Dory pasted on the front door !!!! Who knew !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    So when we moved into the new(ish) house I installed a storm door on the front. Once the second person had attempted to walk through it :rolleyes: ...I took a decal the the kids of the previous occupant had left and taped it the storm door so people would see it and stop trying the walk though the door.

So tonight flipping through channels I found "Little Nemo". So it turns out we have Dory pasted on the front door !!!! Who knew !

That's funny!! I'm a cute, vibrant little fish, aren't I?? ;):)

Monday, January 12th, 2015

Run plan: 40 minutes recovery hydro-treadie

Did this at high noon while it was raining outside. :) I started out at a slowish wave current pace but upped it twice because I felt like it was just too easy. I know this was a recovery run, but I had a good night's sleep last night and my body felt fine....and with the lack of pounding on the body, I wanted to experiment a little. And, it's worth another mention - water acoustics are seriously where it's at. I gave Colbie Caillat a run for her money today. Jason Mraz could be so lucky! ;)

Actual run: 40 minutes of splashing and singing recovery (?) style

I have neglected the Cat for way too long.....so tonight it was spinnin' and grinnin' while surfing the net and getting caught up on the logs here. This felt good. And hour of bent over sweating is in stark contrast to all that pool time!

I followed this spin up with stretching, then 30 minutes of kettle bells with my baby bells. I did MUCH better this week than last week. Of course, one of my house kitties was vying for my attention by rubbing against my legs while I was working my moves, and all I could think of was NOT dropping the bell on his noggin! All went well - I only dropped the bell once and it wasn't on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

An endless pool with a treadmill:eek:, taking it to a whole new level of spending and gadgets. No doubt it will get well used.

• Advertisement

Tuesday, January 13th, 2015

Run plan: 60 minutes easy hydro-treadmill, am....9 miles easy, pm

GOOOOOOOD MORNINGGGGG!!! :D This first session was a rise and shine kinda session at 4:30 in the morn'. Good god, what have I become? Nice session.....the resistance of the water is interesting.

The second session was done in the field sneaky lunchtime style. I was a little tight on time, so I probably pushed the pace a bit to get the entire 9 miles in. I wore my Garmin hoping to track the miles so I could mix up my course, but satellites wouldn't lock so I ended up going around the field 13 times. Gah. But on a bright note, I had a bit of company in the peanut gallery - a gorgeous red tailed hawk was perched on a low lying branch in the edge next to my path. To my delight, the raptor didn't seemed bothered by me running by him 13 times, but I went back and checked on him midday to be sure he wasn't still sitting there, potentially sick or injured. I was relieved that had gone on his merry way. :)

Actual runs: 60 minutes hydro-treadie, am.....9.1 miles easy bird watching field miles, pm

It was time to hit the pool immediately after work. An hour of swimming at a nice, comfortable pace was just the right way to finish the day. All good in the hood.

Actual swim: ~3,600 meters in da tub

Wednesday, January 14th, 2015

Run plan: 2 miles easy, (3 x 30 sec, 3 x 1 min, 2 min, 3 x 1 min, 3 x 30 sec - w/2 min recovery between each interval), 2 miles easy

The original plan for today looked a little different than what I've posted above, but due to the snow and sleet that was falling this morning, any chance of a track session went out the window. So....because there is better traction in a grassy field than on asphalt, the plan was modified to fit the field. :)

However, traction was a little tricky in the field - my beaten down path was covered in slick, icy snow, so I pretty much had to move off my path and onto the untamed edge. I was a bit skeptical during my warmup that I'd get anything of any quality out of this, but I got a little creative and found the best sections of the field that would allow for a little bit of speed without me slip sliding away. There's no point in posting my actual paces as I am well aware of the Garmin's limitations with such short distances, but based on what was recorded it is fair to say that effort was there, and I didn't die. In fact, it appears that my last 30 second and 1 minute intervals were faster than my first sets. Funny how sometimes getting that leg turnover can create leg turnover.

Actual run: 8.3 sneaky lunchtime miles in 1:11:45 for an average pace of 8:39 min/mile

I hopped on the Cat immediately after work for 60 minutes of evening spinning, then hit the mat for stretching and foam rolling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Swimming in the endless pool? How did you measure your distance?

Swimming in the endless pool? How did you measure your distance?

Oh, it's highly scientific and finely honed - a pace clock!!! ;) Okay, maybe not so scientific nor honed, but I've a digital display that shows my swim pace based on the wave current in units of "time/100 yards or meters" - my last session was at 1:30/100 yards, which, for 60 minutes, converts to 4,000 yards, or, 3,600 meters. It's not perfect, I know that, but I suspect it's not crazy far off base either. (Plus, I did a little over and hour.) I've also got a digital display for the treadmill showing mph pace, but actual pace as it relates to (land?) effort gets a little tricky since I use both the treadmill and the wave current together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Oh, it's highly scientific and finely honed - a pace clock!!! ;) Okay, maybe not so scientific nor honed, but I've a digital display that shows my swim pace based on the wave current in units of "time/100 yards or meters" - my last session was at 1:30/100 yards, which, for 60 minutes, converts to 4,000 yards, or, 3,600 meters. It's not perfect, I know that, but I suspect it's not crazy far off base either. (Plus, I did a little over and hour.) I've also got a digital display for the treadmill showing mph pace, but actual pace as it relates to (land?) effort gets a little tricky since I use both the treadmill and the wave current together.

Holy c**p. Does this come with a beach and tiki bar as well ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Holy c**p. Does this come with a beach and tiki bar as well ?

We arent really triathletes at all. Were not even in the same game.

Thursday, January 15th, 2015

Run plan: 60 minutes hydro-treadie easy, am....9 miles easy, pm

Alarm went off at 4:15....and I dragged my @ss out of bed and down to the pool. I had a headache. Totally wasn't feeling the love at that moment, but once I got running in the water with my tunes blasting...blasting as if they were forcing me to enjoy this session dammit!...I started to snap out of my early morning funk. I'm still working through these aqua runs, figuring things out, such as: what is easy, do I lean forward, do I push off the belt, should turnover be fast, should stride be long????? It's really interesting...and I'm finding that the harder I work, the more I lean forward and the more I push off the belt. And because running on the hydro-treadie is so easy on the body, I tend to feel like I'm not doing anything unless I work it. Legs were properly worked during this rise and shine run.

Aaaaand......the next run. Ugh. This was ugly. Barf. So many things went wrong - my legs were tired from the beginning, I went too fast, my path was slick with both snow and mud, I was annoyed at the uneven ground, a sudden wave of nausea overcame me on mile 7 and stopped me in my tracks, I was dying of heat so lost the gloves for some relief, considered calling it a day but couldn't bring myself to doing that, I regrouped after a few minutes of rest and consumption of water, and continued on at an easier pace to finally finish up the blasted run. I'm not totally sure what happened on mile 7 other than by the time I started this run my early morning headache was massive - exploding-head-if-I-bend-over massive. But I got it done, ugly.

Actual runs: 60 minutes running in water before the sun came up.....9.04 ugly field miles in 1:18:20 for an average pace of 8:40 min/mile at head-exploding high noon

I actually wondered how this post-work swim would go as I was still suffering from my headache this evening, but I decided to give it a go. And it was fine. I didn't wear my music headphones - just couldn't stomach that, I needed quiet...peace and quiet....and there is nothing like the peace and quiet you can find while swimming for an hour at a comfortable and soothing pace. I am really enjoying swimming in this endless pool - the current is smooth and steady, and there is very little turbulence in the pool. I still had my headache when I exited the pool, but it seemed to hurt a little less.

Actual swim: ~3,600 meters in da tub

Friday, January 16th, 2015

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

This was a very slow (read: disciplined) trot in the field over lunch in some pretty good sunshine and mud. Not much else to report!

Actual run: 4.2 recovery field miles

Saturday, January 17th, 2015 - Predicted Time 5 Miler

Yep, I signed up for this 5 mile race a few weeks back when it was suggested to me to get a race in during the month of January. I've never done a 5 mile race before, but when I spied this on the internet it floated my boat because it was less than an hour away from me and it only cost $10. :)

The weather forecast was predicting sunny and in the 40s (Fahrenheit) for today, but when I walked out the door this morning I knew Mr. Weatherman had played a cruel joke on us, for yet again the old mercury was nowhere near reaching the freezing point. :eek: Bah! Whatever. I just got on with it and didn't fret. I had proper clothing on, and, unlike the 5k race I did all layered up like an Eskimo in fluffy-puffy down last month, I opted for a vest to keep my core warm instead.

I got to the race plenty early, found a great parking spot, snagged my bib and chip, and then headed out with a friend for a 2 mile warm up. I had no idea what the course was going to be like, but based on the little of it we ran and the bits and pieces we heard from others, I knew it was going to be chock full of rollers and a few proper hills. My friend was targeting 33 minutes (soft target for him!), and I was hoping to go a sub 35.

The start was a very anti-climactic "ready, set, go", and it was also littered with kids and slower peeps at the front. :confused: But I made my way through the crowd and kept my eye on a fellow I recognized from the 5k last month - he was the winner of that race, but I was gambling I could hang pretty close to him today. However, a strange thing happened right away - something tweaked in my lower back. ?? Seriously, I was barely off the start line and something pulled. It wasn't horribly painful, but something happened. Ugh. But no time to worry about that...I just kept going and hoped it'd work itself out.

After the initial crest at the start, the first mile was pretty much all downhill. I didn't look at my watch on this mile at all, I just tried to run with proper effort and hoped I was doing a good job of it. This first mile was 6:26, and all things considered, this was probably a fair pace. The second mile was nothing like the first mile - this had some good rollers, and was honestly quite tough. And it had me questioning how this day might go, and wondering if this was a glimpse of things to come? Yikes! 6:55 The third mile was much better. A few hills, yes, but mentally and physically I was in the game...and I started to pass one or two runners who were starting to tire. 6:45 Ah, and on mile 4 we had wind. !! Hello, my breezy friend! And it was on this mile that I passed the very young gal (was she even a teenager??) who was impressing me with her better-than-average ability at her barely-out-of-diapers age. 6:52 And, mile 5.....oh how we love mile 5. This was probably the hardest of all 5 miles. This, no doubt, was all uphill. Up, up, up. Not a downhill or flat section to be found....and yet again, I passed a few peeps on this mile, including a gal I had been tracking for some time. Oh, and it was on this mile that I also passed that guy who won the 5k last month. Hello, winner of that 5k race last month....watch me as I pass you by. :)6:51 And, just to prove that my Garmin makes me look better than I really am, I still had 432 feet to travel to total 5 miles. :rolleyes: 34 seconds...or 6:58

Any way....totally delighted with my time. And this race reinforces for me the value in racing with respect to the mental aspect - staying tough. My back became a non-issue by the end of mile 1, but now that I'm home and resting, I can feel it tightening up. I'll do some gentle stretching later today....but fingers crossed it's just a momentary nuisance!

Actual, per Garmin: 5.08 miles in 34:25.73 for an average pace of 6:47 min/mile
    Actual, per chip (but there was no starting mat so clock started at gun): 34:27 for an average pace of 6:53 min/mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Advertisement