Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

DaveR1 wrote: »
    Hi Dory,
    Just a quick tip on running interval sets on the track. You have to forget about the Garmin!! Hard to do I know. When running a track set such as 12x400, somewhere between 3k pace and 5k pace sounds good... But it has to be consistent. Your target was 1.43, it has to stay between 1.40 and 1.45 for all of them.

And you want the pace to be consistent for the whole lap! The best way to do this is break it into 100m segmants which are marked on the track. That maeans you need to hold 25/26s per 100. Just use the time setting on the watch (so old fashioned...) pass 100m in 25s, 200m on 51s, 300m on 1.17 and 400m on 1.43. That way the pace stays consistent + you avoid running too fast for the 1st few reps and getting injured.

Yes, that is really solid advice - thank you so much. I never ran track in school so I am totally clueless - especially clueless about interval/sprints. After googling a little yesterday it seems apparent that sprints (with their sudden bursts) can set a runner up for injuries if not done correctly, which obviously I did not do. Most of the intervals I've done have been on the treadmill, so the pace was set and controlled - and they weren't done with me just starting off like a rocket. I will definitely follow your very logical suggestion for my next interval session on the track...right after I figure out all the lines on the track - there are white ones, blue ones, mustard colored ones...and then there are some arrows.... :confused:
    Really good advice there DD.

Wow it has taken me a while to get caught up here but it was worth it. You are putting in a power of work! Really looking forward to your race reports. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! It's fun to share and learn with all the other loggers. The big race is in 8 weeks, so let's hope it's a good report I get to write!! :)

Trainer

It's pretty much like Groundhog Day at my house right now as tonight's session was essentially a repeat of last night's session.....except I was jamming to JJ Grey and Mofro (fave songs - Brighter Days, Lochloosa, Orange Blossoms, The Sweetest Thing) instead of Foo Fighters, and was watching the Caps instead of politics. 30 miles at various levels of effort and various gears in just under 2 hours.

This and That

Some reflections and thoughts....
    This week has been a crap week where running is concerned due to my rookie mistake with my interval training on the track. Lesson learned, but I've lost a few days of running while my sore muscle is healing. On the bright side of that, I used real restraint (and if you know me, it was strength the size of Goliath) to resist running on it while it's recovering....and I used this time to put in some good time on the trainer. Tomorrow I will swim....and then back to running on Saturday, assuming I'm ready to go, which I should be.

Looking at my 18 mile run this Saturday, I think I may try a progression run a la Sir Krusty. The plan calls for the pace to be MP plus 30 seconds, so I will try to keep the average pace to 8:30 (yes....do the math...back it out....I know...). The one thing I like about dabbling in the progression run territory for this run is that it gives me a nice warmup to test out my strained muscle, then I can step it up gently, and then at the end it will test what I have left in my tank plus whether or not I can sustain a quicker pace for a specified number of miles in a row. If my muscle is still sore, I will back off. And if I fail at this progression run, then I fail at this progression run. I've got 8 weeks to go. :)

Swim Session

Snuck out of work and trekked the hour drive to the pool to get this set in, hoping the pool would be deserted. Chucked off the duds and away to poolside I went....to be greeted by what looked like "Water Aerobics for Senior Citizens". Good god, they must've bused in all the residents from the local old folks home....and they must've bused in all the well fed residents by the looks of them (in fact, I think I felt the water level drop when their class was done!). The good news is that I was in earshot of their music while I worked on my kicking, but the bad news is that their music of choice was the entire soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever. Ugh!

Fortunately the aerobics class only took up a few lanes, leaving plenty of space for me to have my own lane. I decided to really concentrate on the power of my stroke (been noticing some decreased strength in my left hand since I've been spending so much time on the trainer) and I got some quality mileage in today.

1,000 free
    500 kick, 500 pull
    500 free
    250 kick, 250 pull
    5 x 200 free (off 3:15)
    200 kick, 200 pull
    150 kick, 150 pull
    100 kick, 100 pull
    50 kick, 50 pull
    This set was done continuously, no stopping:
    100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard
    This set was also done continuously, no stopping:
    50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy; 50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy; 50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy; 50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy
    200 cool down

6,200 in 1 hour 49 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    The good news is that I was in earshot of their music while I worked on my kicking, but the bad news is that their music of choice was the entire soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever. Ugh!

Oh no no no Dory, one of the finest soundtracks you will ever hear, hopefully I would have the tight white Speedos on if I was ever so lucky to hear this song coming in my pool :D

catweazle wrote: »
    Oh no no no Dory, one of the finest soundtracks you will ever hear, hopefully I would have the tight white Speedos on if I was ever so lucky to hear this song coming in my pool :D

Note to self: find out Catweazle's swim schedule, swap out his usual black jammers that are housed in his pool locker for tight white (slightly transparent when wet) speedo briefs, pipe in above referenced disco music, and be on deck with drink/snacks/and camera for the show and the heart-stopping striking of the pose. :D CW, with the tickets we could sell to your, eh hem, display, think fundraiser for dental costs. We'll even rent a disco ball, assuming your pool doesn't already have one. I am totally at your disposal for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

At some point this year I will do at least one swim session that would be worthy of this log!

Nice swim set again there Dory Dory.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Swim Session

Snuck out of work and trekked the hour drive to the pool to get this set in, hoping the pool would be deserted. Chucked off the duds and away to poolside I went....to be greeted by what looked like "Water Aerobics for Senior Citizens". Good god, they must've bused in all the residents from the local old folks home....and they must've bused in all the well fed residents by the looks of them (in fact, I think I felt the water level drop when their class was done!). The good news is that I was in earshot of their music while I worked on my kicking, but the bad news is that their music of choice was the entire soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever. Ugh!

Fortunately the aerobics class only took up a few lanes, leaving plenty of space for me to have my own lane. I decided to really concentrate on the power of my stroke (been noticing some decreased strength in my left hand since I've been spending so much time on the trainer) and I got some quality mileage in today.

1,000 free
    500 kick, 500 pull
    500 free
    250 kick, 250 pull
    5 x 200 free (off 3:15)
    200 kick, 200 pull
    150 kick, 150 pull
    100 kick, 100 pull
    50 kick, 50 pull
    This set was done continuously, no stopping:
    100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard; 50 breast, easy; 100 free, hard
    This set was also done continuously, no stopping:
    50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy; 50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy; 50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy; 50 free, hard; 25 breast, easy
    200 cool down

6,200 in 1 hour 49 minutes

3 words "WOW AND WOW"!!!!:D:D

At some point this year I will do at least one swim session that would be worthy of this log!

Nice swim set again there Dory Dory.
    Runonewon wrote: »
    3 words "WOW AND WOW"!!!!:D:D

Thank you both. I really appreciate the encouragement. :)

18 Mile Progression Run

Between the needless injury I sustained last Tuesday during my track interval session, and the weatherman threatening us with an annoying wintery mix, I was a bit apprehensive about this run. I decided to stick with a flat course since my strained muscle seems to be aggravated by inclines, and I decided I would back off this run if at any point I thought I was adding insult to injury.

I settled on structuring this run as a progression as I felt that it would allow me to ease into my normal pace, give me a proper warmup, and test how much I had left at the end. I wanted my average pace to be 8:30, so I decided to break the progression down as follows:

Miles 1-3 at approximately 9:00 min/mile
    Miles 4-6 at approximately 8:45 min/mile
    Miles 7-12 at approximately 8:30 min/mile
    Miles 13-15 at approximately 8:15 min/mile
    Miles 16-18 at approximately 8:00 min/mile

I did a few gentle stretches to test out how I felt, then off I went. For the first three miles, my strained muscle felt like a tight rubber band. I don't think I've ever felt any of my muscles that tight before and thoughts of wondering if it could snap crossed my mind. It never hurt, so I decided to plod on, but to use care. The next three miles eased my mind as the tension seemed to diminish. At mile 7, the wind picked up like crazy and snow began to blow - just another dimension to this already complicated run. The rest of the run was a combination a tightness, concern, negotiating in my mind, watch watching, wind blowing me practically sideways, and looking forward to this session being over.

Actual splits as follows:
    Miles 1-3: 8:48, 8:49, 8:38
    Miles 4-6: 8:38, 8:39, 8:35
    Miles 7-12: 8:32, 8:25, 8:19, 8:21, 8:28, 8:21
    Miles 13-15: 8:07, 8:11, 8:13
    Miles 16-18: 7:55, 7:45, 7:46

18 miles, 2:30:41, average pace 8:22 min/mile

If I just look at my times, I should be fairly happy with this session, but I'm not. It was ugly and it was a struggle. I never once felt relaxed nor did I enjoy any aspect of this run until it was over and done with. It's all about the strain....so I will rest it some more, and then try again. This was a low point for me, but next Saturday is a 20 mile run so I will look forward to that and the opportunity it will give me to redeem myself and feel good again.

Post-Progression-Plod-Pity-Party on the Trainer*

All the usual suspects showed up for this soiree.....pity, doubt, self-flogging, memories of a happier time when running felt like freedom. Didn't even wear padded bike shorts for this session - opted for a pair of trusty old running shorts I usually slip into in the summertime....a silky number that is like a favorite pair of well-worn jeans that have holes in the knees from many years of usage. Happy times. Popped in the earbuds and cranked up the Foo Fighters classic live cd "Skin and Bones". It fit my mood. One of the great things about headphones when listening to music is that every last drop is siphoned into your head....nothing escapes, except maybe the listener.

22.14 miles....in the time it took to listen to the entire above referenced cd.

* Editor's note - this entry is littered with exaggerated self-pity for dramatic effect. ;) The author is currently in liquid-libation therapy under the watchful eye of Pinot Grigio. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

18 miles, 2:30:41, average pace 8:22 min/mile

If I just look at my times, I should be fairly happy with this session, but I'm not. It was ugly and it was a struggle.

You have to expect that, at those speeds and distances. It was a great run, and if you can do that in training you'll have no problem hitting 3.30 in the race itself. Have you tried taking gels? What are you planning to do on race day?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Those split times are damn good. So you can consign the pity to the bin. :) and you go on the trainer afterwards. Youre some woman for one woman.

RayCun wrote: »
    You have to expect that, at those speeds and distances. It was a great run, and if you can do that in training you'll have no problem hitting 3.30 in the race itself. Have you tried taking gels? What are you planning to do on race day?

It was my healing muscle that kept me from ever relaxing into this run...it altered my normal stride and I kept protecting it as I was so worried about doing further damage. Just three weeks ago I did an 18 miler at 8:20 pace, and that run felt grand - not the same ugliness I experienced yesterday. While I am glad I did this run as a progression, I think I prefer to run by feel, and run each mile based on what it presents to me. A this very moment, I am most comfortable running at an 8:15-8:30 pace for a long run and typically have enough to step it up for the last three miles.

Gels.....:o.....no, I am not currently using. I did find out what kind the race is handing out, so I need to swallow the bitter pill and try that brand....and try them this Saturday as I only have 6 more long runs, and then it's the big one. Gulp. I love my jelly beans, that's what I'm still using on these long runs, but I suppose gels are better.

Thanks for your kind words and guidance. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Those split times are damn good. So you can consign the pity to the bin. :) and you go on the trainer afterwards. Youre some woman for one woman.

Ahhhh....but every now and then we all need a good flogging and self-pity wallowing. It keeps us grounded and working harder. It's the Catholic in me (and perhaps a bit of the competitor in me too), I suppose, that directed me to that trainer after feeling like I had performed poorly....guilt and penance, familiar friends. I've a better attitude today....muscle is feeling better, but I'm still in a "Skin and Bones" mood. ;)

More GI Joan.. Of Arc, then ;)

More GI Joan.. Of Arc, then ;)

Thanks Barbie. ;)

Trainer

Because of the freezing cold, gusting wind, healing muscle, and hockey playing Caps, it was a no-brainer to stay indoors and get some more time in on the trainer. Nothing remarkable about this session - Caps lost miserably, Dave Grohl and I sound fabulous together, and my legs are pooped.

37.41 miles in 2 hours 20 minutes

Oryx....this is for you (and any other Foo Fighters fans). I'm so stuck on these two songs....wonderful transport while on the trainer. Don't quite "get" what the other lads listen to....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juw-pDJPX5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gssnKK4mYk4&feature=fvsr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That was a super long run session hoochiedoubledee well done ;) 2 long bike sessions since to boot too, you have some engine. You are putting down more volume than the IM kids :eek: I'd suggest plotting the bike taper from 8-3 weeks out from the marathon and then pick up the run taper. Just my 2c.

That was a super long run session hoochiedoubledee well done ;) 2 long bike sessions since to boot too, you have some engine. You are putting down more volume than the IM kids :eek: I'd suggest plotting the bike taper from 8-3 weeks out from the marathon and then pick up the run taper. Just my 2c.

Bike taper....I'm 8 weeks out now. Will still put in some good mileage on the bike this week as my strained muscle continues to heal and I know I'll want to go gingerly for a few more days where running is concerned. I'm hoping the strain will only be a memory by this weekend, but are you saying I should start reducing bike mileage soon/now/in a week? Or are you saying I can start reducing as late as 3 weeks out? New territory for me. Thanks.

Yours truly,
    Hoochiedoubledee

Short and Slow Lunchtime Trot

It's such a gorgeous day here today, and I really wanted to test out and stretch out my strained muscle so I decided to do a quick spin around my field over my lunch break.

4.19 miles, 38:39.83, 9:13 min/mile

This was a lovely, easy, squishy-in-mud, sunshiny-day kind of run that was very worthwhile in that it told me that my muscle is on the mend (not totally healed, but on it's way) and it allowed me to relax and get back to a good place. :)Purrrrrr....

• Advertisement

S-l-o-w Evening Run

This was a momma's-got-her-groove-back relaxing evening run in my field. Sort of a continuation of the lunchtime run in that I was in the same environment and gently testing my strained muscle, but what a different feeling it was to run in the darkness and stillness of the night in the field all by myself with limited visual depth. Well, limited visual depth only if I didn't look up at that amazing sky. Loved the feeling being out there. Thought briefly about wanting a head torch like the mountain goats have to do more running like this, but then decided what I liked most about this run was the darkness itself, and the head torch would only introduce an artificial element that would alter the entire feel that was so appealing to me.

I went slooooowww (in part because it was dark).......and didn't even look at the Garmin until the run had come to it's conclusion.

6.25 miles, 1:02:06, 9:56 min/mile

:)

Trainer

Quick spin on the trainer while watching the first period of Caps hockey. We're having a miserable year, and may not even make the payoffs at this rate. Ugh! But I will suffer along with them until the bitter end.

10.33 miles in approximately 45 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Happy Valentines Day, hot chick from Tri forum!

**mmmwwah!**

Happy Valentines Day, hot chick from Tri forum!

**mmmwwah!**
    He says that to all the girls.....

He says that to all the girls.....

I know....but maybe it's age related and he just "forgets". Poor guy. I hear he even named his new ride "Fanny". I say we go easy on the little fella...he seems to have a big heart....and he is kinda funny in a cute and quirky way.

Yoga

90 minutes of stretching, core work and balance on this Valentine's Day. Peace and love to everyone.

Trainer

Blah, blah, blah.....yada, yada, yada.....trainer tonight so it's basically the same report as always. I should just cut and paste. BUT....I felt good....legs seemed a bit sore when I started, however after a few miles they were warmed up and fresh. Biggest revelation while I was spinning, spinning, spinning was the desire to have a pommel on my saddle so I can hold on to it when I pedal handsfree - sort of like a western equestrian saddle. Could work.

31 miles in approximately 1 hour 40 minutes.

Strained muscle is hugely improved (yay!!) so I may attempt my planned tempo run either tomorrow or Thursday, depending on work schedule and weather. I have been apprehensive to push the speed while my strain has been on the mend, but I think I'm ready to give it a go. :)

Tempo Run

It's another absolutely gorgeous day.....in this sleepy little town known as Luray. I sneak out of work and off I go.....to tackle this dreaded run known as the tempo.

:)

With my strained muscle still on the mend (but immensely improved), I was a bit unsure how this run would go. I was only unsure, however, until I was about a quarter of a mile into my warmup when I checked my watch and it said my pace was 7:00 min/mile. :eek: Good grief, and this was my warm up. Slow it down was my mantra, which I did, but I knew then that this had the potential to be a good run.

My only criticism of this tempo (besides my warmup being too fast) is I probably went too hard on the third tempo mile because about halfway through the fourth mile I realized I was not as relaxed as I had been, I was panting pretty hard, felt a little nauseated, and was marginally dying a slow death. The funny thing was that my legs felt good even when I was dying during that last half tempo mile.

Actual splits:
    Warmup - 8:00
    Tempo - 7:28, 7:11, 7:08, 7:19
    Cool down - varying between 8:45 and 9:30

10.4 miles in 1:28:10 for an average pace of 8:22 min/mile

I'm happy with this run (and happy it's behind me).....and now I am looking forward to this weekend's 20 miler. :)

Trainer

Varying degrees of effort at various gears....and some good, fast spinning at a lower resistance. I thought the Caps were playing tonight so I had hockey on my brain, but it's tomorrow night when they play so I guess I have something to look forward to now (assuming they win).

30.3 miles in approximately 1 hour 45 minutes.

Tomorrow will be a rest day for me.....my first one in three weeks. :eek: I did not realize that it had been three weeks as I usually rest on Fridays, but I've trekked to the pool the last two Fridays, so that's why it's been so long. After my tempo last night, my body has been a little sore and tired, but overall (besides my still healing hip) I feel good. 20 miler on Saturday....and will try to get to the pool either this weekend or sometime next week. I just can't fret too much right now about swimming for as soon as my lap pool is open I'll be able to swim 24/7. :) Plus, it's all about the marathon in 7 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

By the looks of things the rest day is more than deserved!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

That's some serious turbo time you've been getting in recently. Making me feel very guilty - must dust mine off and get going again. Ta for the guilt trip :D

Good to see the leg is healing and all systems go.

Advertisement