Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Saturday, January 17th, 2015

A post-race evening swim....

:)

There is something very magical about being suspended in a tank of water, totally relaxed, and swimming completely uninterrupted with a hypnotic rhythm while being very aware of how the passing water feels on your skin. Amy Lee never sounded so good.

Actual swim: ~3,600 meters in da tub

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Dory Dory wrote: »

so let me get this straight. i miss my xmas dinner recoding the SBR Challenge to accept you inputting your swims in something called yards, and you go and start clocking your swims in metres?

bloody yanks...;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mossym wrote: »
    so let me get this straight. i miss my xmas dinner recoding the SBR Challenge to accept you inputting your swims in something called yards, and you go and start clocking your swims in metres?

bloody yanks...;)

No, she swims in 'meters'

WTF are they??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ok this log just went to a whole new level of silly..

Swimming treadmill for an hour. Good God :eek:

mossym wrote: »

bloody yanks...;)

Wait one cotton pickin' minute! (you do track time in minutes, don't you? ;)) I was told a yards to meters conversion was beyond you.
    No, she swims in 'meters'

WTF are they??? :pac:

And she runs in "miles" too! :)
    Ok this log just went to a whole new level of silly..

Swimming treadmill for an hour. Good God :eek:

Don't knock it til you try it!!! It's actually quite amazing.

• Advertisement

Sunday, January 18th, 2014

Run plan: 18 miles easy

It was a flip of the coin to decide where to do this run today, but in the end I decided I needed to stick close to home for various reasons, so basically I was committing to a 3 hour field run. (good god, what kind of person can do that??) Thankfully the weather was mild (relatively speaking)...but with that also brought a wet, muddy path! Mud can be fun....I have no problem with mud at all, but it can make for a slippery stride, and it can mess up my pretty pink running shoes. ;)

There is no doubt I had yesterday's spiffy little sprint in my legs from the get-go today (it occurred to me, I don't believe I have ever gone 5 consecutive miles at a pace under 7 min/mile before - ever!!! :cool:), so I just didn't worry about pace for this long run for I knew it would be even slower than normal...but rather I concerned myself with making this run comfortable and fun. How did I make this run comfortable and fun? I ran outside my normal lines and made it more like an adventure! In other words, I ran like an untamed rebel (albeit, a slow moving untamed rebel :o) zigzagging this way and that in the high grass in the middle of the field, following the deepest contours on the diagonal, and appreciating the various lines the deer have cut over time. That was in the lower end of the field. In the upper end of the field I ran up the steepest (and very muddy!) of inclines multiple times at random passes....and then immediately opened the legs up a little on the flat sections, unintentionally working on an interesting transition of sorts.

The run was good. I definitely kept it easy, but when my legs are tired and I'm putting in some long, slow mileage, I find the session becomes mainly about strength. Today was about strength. And no gels were taken in the making of this session!! :D

Actual run: 18 miles in 2:48:05 for an average pace of 9:20 min/mile

I immediately hopped on the Cat for an hour of spinning while I consumed my lunch....and while my pool was overflowing!!!! Crap! The water level was just a smidge too low, so I thought I'd multitask and save time by turning the water on while I did my hour of spinning. Well damn if I didn't overdo it! Water all over the place....and then I had to siphon off the excess. And the worst thing....it dropped my water temperature!! Good grief! :rolleyes:;):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And she runs in "miles" too! :)

All the best people do!

Monday, January 19th, 2015

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

Finally!!! A day with sunshine and not overly bitter cold! Don't get me wrong, it was chilly, but it wasn't freeze-your-patootie off kind of chilly. I did this sneaky lunchtime style in very slow fashion. I honestly think the harder I work the more I appreciate and embrace rest and recovery. And I also am hating my Asics Gel-Nimbus shoes as of late, and starting to wonder if I need to find them a new home. Compared to my light and bouncy adizeros, these clunky shoes make me feel like I'm running in high heels.

I hit the yoga mat immediately after the run for much needed stretching and semi-painful foam rolling.

Actual run: 4.2 sloppy recovery field miles in mud and muck

I gave the Cat 60 minutes of love tonight after work. It does feel good to sweat! Then it was 30 minutes of kettle bells....and I increased my kettle bell weight by 3 pounds to a whopping 8 pounds! :D No one can accuse me of overdoing it!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

....and I increased my kettle bell weight by 3 pounds to a whopping 8 pounds! :D No one can accuse me of overdoing it!! ;)

and here we go again!!!! I was just about to comment on Oryx saying that at least weights, dumbells, kettlebells are all in metric, and you have to come in a burst my bubble!! hehehehe!!!
    So, educate me, what's the standard weights so, do they go up by 1 lbs, by 2 lbs...etc etc??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    and here we go again!!!! I was just about to comment on Oryx saying that at least weights, dumbells, kettlebells are all in metric, and you have to come in a burst my bubble!! hehehehe!!!
    So, educate me, what's the standard weights so, do they go up by 1 lbs, by 2 lbs...etc etc??
    Mine are metric, but these Americans....

The ones I'm used to go in kilos 8, 12, 16, 20... 32 (I cant lift beyond 24!) You can get lighter ones but they're only really useful when learning proper form in a tricky move. I haven't seen anyone who couldn't manage at least 8kg for the basic moves. Hint, hint Dory. I see an Irish kb class in your future....

• Advertisement

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015

Run plan: 60 minutes easy hydro-treadie, am.....8 miles easy, pm

Alarm goes off at 4:15am.....yawn, stretch, rollover.....open one eye....open the other eye...cat climbs on my chest to say good morning...

So, down the stairs I go....Speedo on, iPad in hand, towel hanging off my shoulder, hair up in a swirl on my head. <deep breath....then exhale> Nothing like a morning run and sing-along in 85 degree water to start the day. I got myself all organized - towel placed by the pool, music at wake-the-dead decibel, a bottle of water within reach. Perfect. :) And then I tried to open the cover of the pool. The automatic cover....that runs off electricity.....that does not have a manual option. Nothing. huh? I go and check the breaker...and it's tripped. Whew! Sigh of relief, because that would really suck to have gotten up at 4:15 in the morning and not be able to get into my pool because I can't open the cover. So, I try again, with confidence. Nothing. whah??...but I... Back to check the breaker...it's tripped again....I reset it again..... feck! You folks know where this is going. That's right, there was no early morning trot in my pool....no.....apparently when I overflowed the pool on Sunday I got water in things I wasn't supposed to get water in. feck! So up the steps I tromped to basically fret about the sessions I might miss due to this most serious of personal disasters, or so it felt at 4:45 in the morning. :(:mad:

Any hoo.....
    After early calls to the installer, the electrician, and the pool company, :D I scheduled for both the installer and the electrician to be breathing life back into the pool cover before the close of business today.....and thankthegoodlordabove, the Do Not Resuscitate order did not have to be used - and the automatic pool cover lives to see another day!!! Whoop whoop!!! :)

And my decision to flip flop runs was a smart gamble - I did the 8 miles easy over lunch, but I had to do it on the treadmill since I had to be available for the electrician....and then I did the 60 minutes easy in da tub after work. The only thing I didn't get done today that I wanted to do is 60 minutes of swimming, but I can't sweat the small stuff!!!

Actual runs: 8 miles easy on the treadie over lunch waiting on the electrician....60 minutes in da tub-treadie after work

but I can't sweat the small stuff!!!

You call 60 mins swimming after 8 miles treadmill running, and 60 mins in the tub tready the small stuff??? you are one crazy dedicated lady DD. I wish I had your determination, and your ability to get up at 4.15 for a workout!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Not to mention a day's mountain biking as a recovery session from a 50k ultra!

Wednesday, January 21st, 2015

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 10 x 1 minute hills, 2 miles easy

This was one of those lonely sessions that a mere 10 minutes of quality work was an eternity to cement my resolve and belief that if you want something badly enough, then you push through it...you push through what is trying to stop you. And you embrace it. Work with it. Use it...use it to make you stronger...to enable you to grab that brass ring you are seeking. Let it be the vehicle that allows you to achieve your goal. These hills were my vehicle today. I ran up them hard, and on each interval when my legs were flooded and feeling heavy, I pushed through it and beyond it knowing that I would not die (literally!), and telling myself I just needed to get to the point where this sick/uncomfortable/super-yucky way my body was feeling was normal/acceptable/workable/super-okay. It sorta-kinda worked. It was a very good session.....and 10 hill repeats and 1 marriage proposal later, I was heading back home with a big old grin on my face. :)

Actual run: ~7 miles of streets in town, including 10 x 1 min hills (with 2:30 recovery), in the spitting snow at high noon

It was kitty love on the Black Cat post work tonight. And what started out as just a simple recovery spin, morphed into a relatively hard, quality session. I'm not sure what happened, but I just started working it...and the next thing I knew, I couldn't stop. Whoop whoop! !!! :)

And then the evening was rounded out with stretching and foam rolling on the mat with my two kitties for company. Love those two boys!!! :)

and 1 marriage proposal later, I was heading back home with a big old grin on my face. :)

Please explain this part!!!

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Please explain this part!!!

Oh that was just our local UPS driver shouting, "Dory, will you marry me?" as he passed by me. Made me laugh. ;):)

Oh that was just our local UPS driver shouting, "Dory, will you marry me?" as he passed by me. Made me laugh. ;):)

I had a really creepy neighbour drive around the route I was running, musta met him three times and the final time he told me I was a sight for sore eyes.

Ugh. Ugh! UGH!

Oryx wrote: »
    I had a really creepy neighbour drive around the route I was running, musta met him three times and the final time he told me I was a sight for sore eyes.

Ugh. Ugh! UGH!

Jim, the UPS driver, is far from creepy....but it's neighbors like yours that remind me (and all of you other ladies out there) to take my mace with me when I'm out running alone.

Don't think youre allowed to carry mace here.

Oryx wrote: »
    Don't think youre allowed to carry mace here.

No mace?? I guess tasers are out too then. How about handsome Irish Wolfhounds? ;)

• Advertisement

Thursday, January 22nd, 2015

Run plan: 60 minutes hydro-treadie easy, am.....8 miles easy, pm

The first little aqua-trot was met with no cover disasters at o'dark-thirty. Thank the good lord above!!! And this was a nice little run as everything seemed to be working well - good pace, good body position, good leg action (both the lift and reach, and the kick and return), and good drive with the arms. Other than it being so darned early in the morning, this is a great way to wake up the body and start my day. :)

Run number two was done midday in the field, and the legs were anything but fresh....and my entire body felt so incredibly heavy. Ugh. Good god, this was easy but not so easy, if you know what I mean. I suppose yesterday's hills were in the legs....or it could have been the massage I had just prior to doing these 8 miles. ??? But, 11 laps around the field plus twice around the middle, and we'll call this done.

Actual runs: 60 minutes of tub-trotting, am....8 miles of field-trudging, pm

I hit the pool after work for an hour of swimming. I may have to up the current a bit - I find I am starting to hit the grill where the current comes out on a regular basis now. It's pretty remarkable how delightful it is to swim in this pool - it's much more enjoyable than my friend's endless pool that I was swimming in last year. I remember in his pool, the current would push my hips down to the point that I preferred to swim with a pull buoy, and there was a good bit of turbulence that tossed me about. In my pool, there is none of either of those things. I think the two biggest reasons for this are: my pool is 2 feet longer than his, and I got the performance pool instead of the standard pool (I believe that has to do with the motor that drives the current, making it incredibly smooth and steady). Hmmm....and perhaps it also has to do with the fact that my pool is 12 inches deeper than his. Yeah, I'm sure that contributes to the delightful factor too.

Any way...

Actual swim: ~3,600 delightful meters in my tank

Friday, January 23rd, 2015

I just wasn't in the mood to deal with the bitter cold today, so I did this little trot on the treadie over lunch while watching "Girl Interrupted." Scary stuff....mental health. Especially in the 60s! :eek: Didn't get to see how the movie ends, but let's hope the healthcare system came through for Winona and Angelina.

Tomorrow will be some crazy stuff here. Fingers crossed the sleet/snow/rain mixture that's falling from the sky this evening doesn't f*ck up my day tomorrow! :)

Actual run: 4 miles recovery on the treadie

Saturday, January 24th, 2015

Run plan:
    AM: 1 mile easy, 4 x (3 miles @ MP, 3:30 recovery), 1 mile easy
    PM: 6 miles steady

I was warned, this could be a tough day. :eek: And I really wanted to make today as high a quality as I could, so when I popped outside into the falling icy, wet rain for the first run and had a hard time with traction at some places in my field, I knew within the 1 mile warmup I'd never be able to hit my MP target of 7:40 min/mile in these conditions with mud and snow underfoot. So, because the temps were above freezing, I decided I'd check out the Greenway to see what shape the surface was in - hoping it would just be wet, and not slick. Bingo! I hit the jackpot - it was fine. Puddles in places, but who doesn't love puddles!!?? :)

Briefly, the first set of three miles were fine. Well disciplined and felt fine. 7:36 average for the three miles

The second set of three miles started off way too fast (first mile was ~6:30, thru two miles, ~6:50) and I was feeling my lack of discipline on the final mile. 7:05 average for the three miles :o

The third set of three miles was evenly paced throughout, and this set felt good. 7:14 average for the three miles

And, the fourth and final set of three miles was by far the hardest. I focused on keeping my upper body relaxed and tapping into my strength, my legs....but by the very last mile, this was verging on uncomfortable. 7:19 average for the three miles

I never planned on going quite this fast as this was done at a way hotter pace than I could sustain for 26.2 miles, but also keep in mind that the Greenway is flat, and my Garmin is probably making me look better by 5 to 10 sec/mile. Oh, and during my recovery periods, I either walked, hit the loo, or sipped on water. And I wore my green Asics Nimbus on this run.

Actual run, AM: 1.09 miles in the field for a total time of 9:04 minutes...then 13.7 miles on the Greenway in 1:51:10 for an average pace of 8:07 min/mile

And......one chocolate milk, one yogurt, one peanut butter sandwich, a 90 minute nap, and 4 hours later....

I hit the Greenway again to get this steady run done before it was too dark to see. I honestly had no idea how this would go, but I just started running....running at a pace I thought I could sustain for an hour, but keeping in mind that my target steady pace should be ~8 min/mile. I have absolutely no frickin' idea what happened, but this went way better than I imagined. In fact, this was a better set than the morning set - this felt "easier". And I wore my pink adizero boston boosts on this run. :) Here are my paces:

7:35, 7:23, 7:18, 7:21, 7:17, 7:22

Actual run, PM: 6.01 miles in 44:22 for an average pace of 7:23 min/mile

Tomorrow is all easy....and I am so glad!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

You're on fire at the moment Dory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

So, that's over 18 miles at better than Marathon Pace?

That's some going!

Sunday, January 25th, 2015

Today was all about the easy! :D

Run plan: 60 minutes VERY easy hydro-treadie

What can I say? Aqua acoustics still sound amazing! If I'm not careful, I might get snatched up by some record producer, and there'd go my triathlon hopes and dreams! :rolleyes:;):):D

Actual run: 60 minutes VERY easy in some lovely water

Swim

Back to back pool sessions - I had goggles and headphones on hand so I could slip into them immediately after the run. I kept things low key for this 60 minute swim since this is supposed to be an easy day, but if I don't soon up my wave pace, all of my fingernails will be broken off from swimming into the wave grill! I think I've now severed off 4 of them. :(

Actual swim: ~3,600 meters in my tank

Trainer

And.....I hopped on the Black Cat for an hour immediately after the swim to round out the day and give equal love to all three disciplines. I popped in the movie Holiday for entertainment...and I actually liked it. Being of the female persuasion, I could relate. ;)

It was then time to stretch like Gumby....followed by some evil foam rolling.

Another week done....and another week in my sights. All good. :)

Monday, January 26th, 2015

We got some crazy weather happening here - rain, snow, ice, sleet, snow, snow, snow. But the poor north. :eek: The weatherman is predicting up to 24 to 30 inches of snow to accumulate tonight and tomorrow in the northeast. :eek: And intense wind. :eek: So this little recovery trot was done indoors on my good old trusty treadie over lunch while watching the news and the various Governors declaring a state of emergency in their states and were urging everyone to be prepared for the pounding to come. :eek: It's all about the blizzard, baby!

Actual run: 4 comfy-cozy recovery miles done treadie-style

I hopped on the Cat after work for a 60 minute sweatfest spin. And then it was 30 minutes of kettlebells with my baby bells. I'm making progress - no bells were dropped in the making of this session. :)

Tuesday, January 27th, 2015

Run plan: 45 minutes hydro-treadie, both am and pm

It was a rise and shine kind of morning....and I'm definitely getting more "skilled" at running in armpit deep water. This was nice. :)

The second run was over lunch, and this was equally as nice, especially since I could see the snow falling through the window while I was running in the pool. :) I increased the wave current by 5 seconds at about the halfway point, and the added resistance reminded me that this aqua running can be as hard as I want to make it. This was a bit of work for both the upper and lower body!

Actual runs: 45 minutes minutes running in the tank, both am and pm

Swim

This was an evening when I honestly just wanted to come home and curl up on the couch in my sweats and comfy T-shirt, but I just got on with it and donned the Speedo instead. And I'm glad. I upped the swim current by a mere 3 seconds from 1:30/100 yards to 1:27/100 yards, and I was impressed by how much 3 seconds adds to the effort of the swim over an hour. The first 30 minutes were no issue, in fact it seemed a perfect pace for the effort I wanted to expend. But by the second 30 minutes, my arms were starting to feel fatigued - nothing horrible, but there was definitely some effort taking place. And by the final 15 minutes, I was throwing in some breast stroke every so many minutes just to give the arms a break. My mantra for those final 15 minutes was "IM Louisville....IM Louisville." I imagine the double hydro-treadie session earlier today with all that upper body resistance contributed some to the protesting by my arms, but it's also clear to me that I've got some work to do to get to where I need to be in the water. !!!!

Actual swim: ~3,750 meters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm in work so can't post a link to it, but I seen Richard Varga on Twitter was training in an endless pool recently. In a wetsuit, 10 mins at 55 seconds per 100m! I hope to see you aim towards this now Dory ;)

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    I'm in work so can't post a link to it, but I seen Richard Varga on Twitter was training in an endless pool recently. In a wetsuit, 10 mins at 55 seconds per 100m! I hope to see you aim towards this now Dory ;)

:eek: I'm afraid you'd be peeling me off the back wall! ;)

Advertisement