Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Bring your waterproofs for Sunday. There's a nice drop of rain forecast ;)

Oh and your bike gloves :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

What's your run pace for saturday Dory?
    I may* have secured a last minute entry from a kind organiser ;) so will be doing about 35k as my LSR.
    See you there anyway....

*If not I will be running bandit anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's your run pace for saturday Dory?
    I may* have secured a last minute entry from a kind organiser ;) so will be doing about 35k as my LSR.
    See you there anyway....

*If not I will be running bandit anyway :p

Run pace? Am I allowed to divulge such secrets? ;)

Oh my vote is to go as a running bandit - that's way more sexy and dangerous sounding! :cool: I'll see you there!! :D

And in other news...I've had my come to Jesus moment, and I've broken out the big suitcase!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And in other news...I've had my come to Jesus moment, and I've broken out the big suitcase!!! :eek::eek::eek:

If you don't get that extra tech shirt in that plane you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your race.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    If you don't get that extra tech shirt in that plane you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your race.

That's EXACTLY what I told myself as I was moving my clothes from the small suitcase to the big suitcase! :D;)

Tuesday, February 10th, 2015

One more sleep......!!!!!!

Run plan: 4 miles easy, am...5 miles easy, pm

I was given the green light to do the first run in the water, so that's exactly what I did, over lunch. 45 minutes moving and grooving....with the stitch (or is it just muscle soreness?) making a subtle appearance (or is it merely in my head?). I tried a trick I read online regarding how to get rid of a stitch on the run - exhaling as the foot opposite the stitch hits the ground. I think it may have helped. ?? I really do. ??

Due to circumstances and reasons I won't bore you with, I boldly opted to do the second run in the same fashion I did the first run - in the tank. The stitch was simmering under the surface...but I do have to wonder am I just "looking" for it now. ?? I tried the opposite foot strike exhale trick, and it seemed to work....until I'd forget about my breathing and it'd come a knocking again...and then I'd to the exhale thing again...and so on. I don't believe either of these runs aggravated the stitch/soreness...but I'm being very mindful and being very careful.

Actual runs: 45 minutes hydro-treadie, am....60 minutes hydro-treadie, pm

Wednesday, February 11th, 2015

Run plan: 5 miles @ 8:00 min/mile

Ugh! I do believe I am overthinking this breathing thing now!! :( While on the treadie over lunch today, I was focusing so much on exhaling on my left foot that I started to get a stitch on my left side....so then I started exhaling on my right foot and my right stitch returned. wtf?? I had stitches coming and going to the point that I honestly didn't know how or when to breathe! :eek: And on the way over to the airport (I am typing this as I await my plane) I could swear my entire chain of abdominal muscles on both sides were painful and tense....but now that I sit here typing, they seem fine. Even though I have not tapered for this race, is this....could this be......TAPER MADNESS?? <dun-dun-DUUUUN!!!> Whatever it is, it sucks. And the 5 miles on the treadmill at 8 min/mile pace sucked too. Harder than they should have been. Or at least that's how they seemed based on the mental state I was in at the time. Of course, with all that hyperventilating I was doing to exhale on the left and exhale on the right, perhaps I was just light headed. ??

Any way....next stop Philly....then Dublin. Whoop whoop!! :D

Actual run: 5 miles breathing left and right at a pace of 8 min/mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have you tried just chilling the f%#k out? :D

Hope you've a great trip Dory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

(I am typing this as I await my plane) I could swear my entire chain of abdominal muscles on both sides were painful and tense....but now that I sit here typing, they seem fine. Even though I have not tapered for this race, is this....could this be......TAPER MADNESS??

Its more likely Taper Sanity. Logically you should text throughout the 50K race to avoid cramping.

Bon Voyage, see you soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Safe travels, and have a good race on Saturday!! Pity I can't make the Ballyhoura meet...maybe next time!!! It would be great to meet you, you inspire me so much, and make me feel so welcome here (as most people do!)

And do not overthink about the stitch, it's all in your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck tomorrow. No bother to you. Have a great race :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hi Dory, welcome to Ireland again. Best of luck tomorrow, enjoy :D

One raw potato per lap for all your food and drink, thats how we roll over here. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck !

Hello all! And thank you!! The flight here was long, and I can never sleep on these overnighters. I caught a nap yesterday, and slept so-so last night. Heading to bed now quite tired, so who knows how tomorrow might go...but job number one is to have fun and enjoy the 50k experience, and there is little doubt that that box won't be checked no matter the race outcome. I'll see some of you folks in the morning, and I'll see the rest of you folks on the other side. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I've just stumbled onto your log, and what a time to come across it :) Very best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Good luck tomorrow.

Wellllll..18 fabulous miles and a few piggy back rides by ecoli later, and that was my Donadea. !!! In short, muscle cramping and IT band trouble coupled with common sense meant a first ever for me - dnf. But, was going quite well until that point and pace felt quite comfortable. Good training run, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

That's a bummer but at least you took the sensible route, and like you already said, it was a good training run.

The big picture is Boston really, isn't it? No point ruining that for the sake of pig headed stubbornness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Never mind. Only a race.

Bummer :( But hey at least it wasn't raining ;)

I wasn't sure if RQ was going to show up with the baked goods tomorrow so I made some chocolate chip cookies and some chocolate, date and nut bread. Can you guess the common theme??

common sense meant a first ever for me - dnf.

Later on this year you'll be very thankful for this rare application of common sense. The alternative might have been a pyrrhic victory in todays non-goal race, but end your season before it began.

Now, all eyes on the main race: 100m free in the NAC this Tuesday...:cool::)

Oooooo.....chocolate!!!! Yay!! You are the bomb! :) Fingers crossed the leg does not have to be amputated ;) and I'll be able to actually pedal the bike with two legs. Wasn't kidding about ecoli having to carry me as I could not walk. I felt like a bride being carried over the threshold the first time he scooped me up, and then like a kid riding piggy back being carted about the place. I could use him now, to be honest. Kate isn't much use to me in that respect with 50 amazing kilometers in her legs. ;)

Oooooo.....chocolate!!!! Yay!! You are the bomb! :) Fingers crossed the leg does not have to be amputated ;) and I'll be able to actually pedal the bike with two legs. Wasn't kidding about ecoli having to carry me as I could not walk. I felt like a bride being carried over the threshold the first time he scooped me up, and then like a kid riding piggy back being carted about the place. I could use him now, to be honest. Kate isn't much use to me in that respect with 50 amazing kilometers in her legs. ;)

No worries we can improvise ..... if we have to we can just stay in the car park and eat :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Won't make it over...need to do a crazy like road cycle I'm afraid. Keep me informed about whatever plans are in place for Tuesday and I'll do my bestest to make an appearance...though I've just been daring and checked my bank balance....two weeks to pay day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sorry to read about the DNF Dory. I DNF'd after a few laps a couple of years ago. Sucks, but as usual your attitude is simply refreshing. You will bounce back without a shadow of a doubt.

Can't wait to hear how you found my local MTB trails :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Sorry to hear about the DNF. Smart move to DNF by the sounds of it. Hope it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What time is the head to head in the NAC on? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Sorry to hear about the DNF, it looks like it was the best decision at the time, not point injuring yourself. Put it behind you, and enjoy the rest of time in Ireland. How did sunday spin in ballyhoura go? I am sorry I missed it but I did have my bit of fun on my own spin with the club, with plenty of climbs...which strangely enough I kind of enjoyed!!! I will be writing another bit for the club page anyway, hopefully it'll be up later on today or tomorrow!!
    Best of luck with that head to head on the NAC, sounds like fun!!!

Advertisement