Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'm sure Catweazle has good insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

MojoMaker wrote: »
    I'm sure Catweazle has good insurance.

And Twinkle-Toes Tunney took me dancing after he lubed me up with a few bottles of wine. OH! And we can't forget Kurt trying to take advantage of my compromised state by challenging me to a duel in the pool. Good god. At least Oryx had the manners to take charge of my suitcase during my stay, especially dragging it up that steep flight of stairs of the B&B we stayed at the night after Donadea.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And Twinkle-Toes Tunney took me dancing after he lubed me up with a few bottles of wine. OH! And we can't forget Kurt trying to take advantage of my compromised state by challenging me to a duel in the pool. Good god. At least Oryx had the manners to take charge of my suitcase during my stay, especially dragging it up that steep flight of stairs of the B&B we stayed at the night after Donadea.
    And what a suitcase! I think you had an entire football team in there or something!

Tho I do carry some guilt, for the fact that I propped you up on a bike and pushed you down the car park in the first place. :o

Oryx wrote: »
    And what a suitcase! I think you had an entire football team in there or something!

Then why the hell didn't they carry the damn suitcase?
    Tho I do carry some guilt, for the fact that I propped you up on a bike and pushed you down the car park in the first place. :o

This is true. And you did that twice that day! Once pre-ride on flat land...and then post-fall down the mountain!! :eek:

T
    This is true. And you did that twice that day! Once pre-ride on flat land...and then post-fall down the mountain!! :eek:
    I would have cut your leg off at that stage if it meant getting back quicker.

• Advertisement

I would have cut your leg off at that stage if it meant getting back quicker.

I sensed that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I had nothing to do with either sporting event. I just tried to heal the lady with love and silky smooth dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Hi DoryDory,

Sorry to hear about the injury. Look up Krista Duchenne's blog for inspiration on recovery. Stress fracture of femur at end of Canadian half marathon champs last year, needed surgery, immobilization etc. Nevertheless, back hobbling a few months later, then walk, walk run, to eventually running. You'd think it would set one back a lot, but she ran 74 low for a half 2 weeks ago and is hoping for an Olympic marathon qualifying time in a few weeks in Rotterdam I think. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk to you about it all. You'll be back! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I like to think I've the ability to push through pain, but a fractured femur. Ouch!
    Sorry to hear about the injury.
    In this instance, I probably shouldn't be commending your determination to train regardless of the pain, but I think it speaks of a certain stubbornness that will ultimately stand to you.

Happy healing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sorry to hear about the injury :eek:

So I ran 2 laps with you with a broken leg :confused:

And you thought you were getting a bit of a cramp? No wonder luke's massage didn't get you back out for that 7th lap!!!

• Advertisement

^^^ Thanks again to all for the tidbits of wisdom and comedy.

(@ Tunney - I call a "Sex-Machine" redo when I'm fully functioning! You haven't experienced my full potential yet! ;)
    @ Larry Brent - I will read through Krista's blog - thank you!!! :)
    @ meno - Yes, you were witness to a fracturing Dory starting on the 4th lap. I remember not wanting to say anything to you for fear that the pain would then be "real", but near the end of the 6th lap I could not manage it any longer. But you did a fantastic job as my b*tch for those 6 laps!! :D)

Trainer

60 minutes of sneaky lunchtime spinning on the Cat. Looks like I'll be getting more time in the saddle, which in terms of IM training is a positive of sorts. But, no way will I venture out on the road until I get the all clear from the orthopedist!! (See, I do have some sense about me!)

Actual trainer: 60 minutes of low resistance spinning

Swim

My brand new submergible pace clock arrived today....and I couldn't wait to try it out. Very cool, but my only criticism is the numbers are not backlit, which makes it a little difficult to read when the goggles are fogged up. Granted, my goggles are probably 2 years old, so I could certainly use a new pair as I'm sure the anti-fog treatment they apply is long gone. I do have a bottle of some anti-fog spray I suppose I should try...but if anyone else has any tricks of the trade that work for them to stave off goggle fog, please feel free to share!

Swim session as follows:
    @ 1:24/100 yards - 30 minutes warmup
    @ 1:14/100 yards- 3 x (4 x 50 yards off 1 minute, 1 x 100 yards) w/ 1 minute rest between sets
    @ 1:24/100 yards - 10 minutes cool down

I honestly suspect there is a bit of a calibration discrepancy between the faster and slower wave paces, otherwise I am a disgrace to all former sprinters around the globe! :o In other words, the spiffy intervals were hard, and boy did my kick have to make an appearance. I love how high my body is in the water while sprinting, but boy-howdy did this take a good burst of effort to keep pace. And it was interesting to me to swim a 100 yard free all at a forced constant pace. Usually there is a bit of a split difference in 25s, but the aquatic treadmill forces uniformity no matter the distance. No pooping out allowed!!! I'll try lengthening the distance of the intervals (200s, 400s), but I'll probably need to sort out the goggle fog issue first. <googles Speedo.com for new goggles> :D

Actual swim: ~3,382 meters

Saturday, March 14th, 2015

Total frickin' rest day! I was scheduled to be doing the Rock and Roll half marathon in DC this morning, but due to a boogered up femur, my hope/quest to secure a shiny new pb was scuppered. Boo. :( But a fun day in DC with friends made up for my disappointment. :)

Sunday, March 15th, 2015

Trainer

90 minutes on the Black Cat while watching Ritchie Porte snatch his second Paris-Nice victory. This was just easy spinning and some sweating. Time in the saddle....these sessions for the next few weeks will be time in the saddle to get the body used to being down in position for extended periods of time. Gotta salvage some value from all this!

Actual trainer: 90 minutes pretending I was on my yellow jersey Paris-Nice quest in the handicapped division

Swim

@ 1:24/100 yards - 30 minutes
    @ 1:15/100 yards - 3 x (3 x 100 yards off ~1:35), w/ 1 minute rest between sets
    @ 1:21/100 yards - 15 minutes

With my new pace clock submerged, these 100s were all quality. Now the downfall to submerging the pace clock is that I have to estimate the rest. My hope was to give myself 10 to 20 seconds rest between the 100s within a set, and I was bang on target...so the 100s were off anything between 1:25 and 1:35, but we'll just call it 1:35 for these purposes.

Actual swim: ~3,739 meters

Water walking*

:o One of the things I'm missing by not running in water is the upper body and core work it gives me....so....it hit me while I was on the trainer today - why can't I WALK on the treadmill in water?? I was told no foot strike was allowed, but low/no impact activities, as long as they do not cause me any pain, are okay. And let's face it, there is way less weight on my feet while in armpit deep water, and as long as I walk and not run, there is no concussive foot strike. So, I tried walking at a snail's pace (treadmill set at 2.75 mph) with the wave current at 2:07/100 yards. At first I thought I was wasting my time, but after 5 or 10 minutes I could feel some benefit in this with the lower and upper body resistance.

(* Now, let me be clear...I totally understand how devastating and damaging it will be if I end up displacing my femur, so I have no interest in risking that. However, I do believe in working within acceptable/safe limits. But here's the thing - am I to be trusted in making that distinction? As I was reminded by a fellow boardsie on Friday, I can be my own worst enemy, so I do give pause to my decision to try walking in the tub....but after giving it a go this evening, and unless I am missing something here, I honestly think it is not detrimental to my healing. ?? Any one??)

Actual water walking: 15 minutes very lightly in the tub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

(* Now, let me be clear...I totally understand how devastating and damaging it will be if I end up displacing my femur, so I have no interest in risking that. However, I do believe in working within acceptable/safe limits. But here's the thing - am I to be trusted in making that distinction? As I was reminded by a fellow boardsie on Friday, I can be my own worst enemy, so I do give pause to my decision to try walking in the tub....but after giving it a go this evening, and unless I am missing something here, I honestly think it is not detrimental to my healing. ?? Any one??)

I think because you are in the water and therefore not load bearing it should be fine to WALK in the tub. Gentle exercise promotes blood vessel formation and fracture repair

The key is moderation and remembering what you are trying to achieve:

Increase fitness levels? NO
    Maintain fitness levels? NO
    Promote bone healing? YES
    Prevent muscle atrophy? YES

Have to go to work now but I can link you some studies later on fracture healing/hydrotherapy

I think because you are in the water and therefore not load bearing it should be fine to WALK in the tub. Gentle exercise promotes blood vessel formation and fracture repair

The key is moderation and remembering what you are trying to achieve:

Increase fitness levels? NO
    Maintain fitness levels? NO
    Promote bone healing? YES
    Prevent muscle atrophy? YES

Have to go to work now but I can link you some studies later on fracture healing/hydrotherapy

Brilliant! And definitely link the studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Brilliant! And definitely link the studies.

These are some of the papers I found:

Exercise Enhances Angiogenesis During Bone Defect Healing in Mice

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21259340

Models for the pathogenesis of stress fractures in athletes.
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/30/3/200

Stress fractures in female athletes. Diagnosis, management and rehabilitation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9421865

It's hard to find papers on hydrotherapy for humans specific to long bone fractures. Most of the work done focuses on osteroarthritis but there is a good chapter on aquatic therapy in a book on Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy by David Levine, Lauren Rittenberry, Darryl L. Millis. A lot of it is based on work done in humans (that I can't find :rolleyes:) and it has some useful stuff:

"There are many conditions for which aquatic therapy may be beneficial, including rehabilitation of postoperative fractures, CCL stabilization, neurologic conditions, tendinitis, conditioning, and other disorders in which there is a lack of strength, range of motion, proprioceptive ability, or weight-bearing status"

"the percentage of weight borne by human females when immersed in water is approximately 5.9% to 8.7% at the seventh cervical vertebral level, 25% to 31% at the level of the xiphoid, and 40% to 51% at the level of the anterior superior iliac spine"

"Performing closed-chain exercises such as walking in water in an environment where weight-bearing forces are decreased may minimize or eliminate damage and inflammation to the soft tissues, while maximizing functional training".

"Water’s buoyancy can ease the performance of exercise activities while also providing proprioceptive feedback to aid in the rehabilitation process. The effect of buoyancy allows for gentler active exercises by decreasing the loads placed on the injured tissues compared to exercises performed on land .... Water exercises are generally less painful than land exercises because of the support that buoyancy provides. Therefore water exercises may result in less discomfort and provide a better sense of security when initiating active movements. This helps maintain range of motion and functional movement before the strength gains needed to perform the same movements on land are achieved. There are many physiologic effects resulting from exercise in heated water. Among them are increased circulation to muscles, increased joint flexibility, and decreased joint pain"

"the benefits of aquatic therapy in humans include improved strength, muscle endurance, cardiorespiratory endurance, increased range of motion, decreased stress on healing tissues, and minimized pain"

Hope that's not an information overload!!!! :D

Fantastic information, career move. Thank you! The only thing missing is an article on equine hydro-rehab. ;)

Obviously this stress fracture is a worry for me - and obviously I need to rule out a bone density issue, so I've a DEXA scan on order. It's a necessary starting point before conclusions are made about what got me into this fix.

Monday, March 16th, 2015

Trainer

60 minutes of spinning on the Cat over the noon hour while reading about Krista DuChene's fractured femur. Brought tears to my eyes - very emotional since I could relate in some small way.

Actual trainer: 60 minutes of easy spinning

Swim

A sort of progression swim that I did makey-uppy on the fly.

@ 1:24/100 yards for 30 minutes
    @ 1:20/100 yards for 20 minutes
    @ 1:19/100 yards for 5 minutes
    @ 1:17/100 yards for 5 minutes

Not much to say....this got harder as the cumulative arm fatigue racked up. Was glad when this was over. A bit boring, but it's done.

Actual swim: ~3,971 meters in the tub

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 :D

Eh....not having a training plan is sort of like being lost at sea for me...unmoored and bobbing aimlessly about. I need a compass. I need a sextant and/or navigational charts. I need structure. My training personality needs structure.

Swim

This was a short, sneaky lunchtime swim. I was a little tight on time, so my hope was to get at least 30 minutes in the tub, but I boldly stretched it to 45 minutes. :) The perks of being the boss.

The entire swim was done at an easy wcp of 1:24/100 yards, but after 30 minutes of freestyle, my shoulders and neck were complaining a little, so for the final 15 minutes I alternated between backstroke and breast stroke. The backstroke was no trouble at the 1:24 pace (in fact, I kept hitting the front end of the pool!), but the breast stroke was a stretch. I tried to keep pace as best I could, but I'd slowly get behind and eventually hit the back wall only to push off, glide underwater and start over again. It was actually quite enjoyable and a nice change to break it up that way!

Actual swim: ~2,893 sneaky meters

Trainer

60 minutes spinning on the Cat after work. Dat's about it!

Actual trainer: 60 minutes of spinning

Tomorrow, we're going to do something different!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 :D

Eh....not having a training plan is sort of like being lost at sea for me...unmoored and bobbing aimlessly about.

You're not training right now though. Right?

You're not training right now though. Right?

That depends on your definition of training. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

. I need structure. My training personality needs structure.

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Eh....not having a training plan is sort of like being lost at sea for me...unmoored and bobbing aimlessly about. I need a compass. I need a sextant and/or navigational charts. I need structure. My training personality needs structure.

Oh I soooo get what you mean...I'm lost too :(

Then girls. Make a plan. A schedule of what you can do.

You know, you're right. I have been just faffing about, doing a turbo session here and there but totally half hearted. A plan must be drawn up. If I have a plan I will do it.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    You know, you're right. I have been just faffing about, doing a turbo session here and there but totally half hearted. A plan must be drawn up. If I have a plan I will do it.

I'm good at telling other people what to do....but when it comes to me, I sometimes flounder. (;)) For training, I do best when someone else does my thinking for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Solobally8 wrote: »

Sorry DD, don't want to take over your thread but I'd really recommend www.trainerroad.com

All you need is a speed & cadence sensor and an ant+ dongle and your good to go. Pick a training plan and all the thought and planning is done for you.

Virtual power isn't perfect but it's probably more accurate than RPE

pointer28 wrote: »
    Sorry DD, don't want to take over your thread but I'd really recommend www.trainerroad.com

All you need is a speed & cadence sensor and an ant+ dongle and your good to go. Pick a training plan and all the thought and planning is done for you.

Virtual power isn't perfect but it's probably more accurate than RPE

Thanks pointer, I use trainerroad already. It's great but I havent been using it to its full potential. I've just been picking random sessions and doing them. I checked out their plans just there. I'm going to give one a go. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Sorry for taking over the thread Dory

Wednesday, March 18th, 2015

After some shoulder and neck soreness while swimming yesterday, I made the executive decision to take a day off from the tub - I certainly don't need to have a broken leg AND a bum shoulder!!! :eek: I imagine I am putting a little extra strain on my shoulders in the endless pool due to the constant shoulder rotation since there are no walls or turns to give even the slightest of breaks. I need to continue to sprinkle my swim sets with back and breast, and I need to make sure I pace myself with the mileage. :)

So....with no swim on my radar today, I wasn't totally sure what I was going to be doing....that is, until catweazle sent me an email and, BOOM, clarity descended upon me. Yep. The bike...the trainer.....THE BLACK CAT! I need to commit to the bike, NOW. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I have this opportunity to get extra time in the saddle, even if it is restricted to the trainer for now, it will still play in my favor.

Trainer

Today was a double Black Cat day - the first, over the noon hour, and the second, after work. I've been easing into these spinning sessions to ensure no harm to the leg, and I'm gaining confidence that I am doing no harm. The first session was nice and sweaty with a bit of reservation....while the second was much more down to business. The resistance may be low, but the cadence is high and some work is being done.

Actual trainer: 2 x 60 minutes on the Cat

Okay, so I still don't have a specific training plan with any sort of structure in place, and until I get the results of my DEXA scan (being done tomorrow - checking for bone density) and have my femur re-x-rayed (being done in 2 weeks) I honestly don't see how I can have but so much of a plan in place. However, I have finally accepted the fact that my running focus is done for now, and it is time to concentrate on triathlon....specifically, the IM. This pivot to IM focus is coming 5 to 6 weeks earlier than I had intended, but maybe this is the silver lining to my fractured femur and will pay me dividends come October. Fingers crossed. Again, not a specific training plan...but yet I now have a plan of focus, and that's something positive at the end of the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I sometimes flounder.

No way ? a new stroke .... swim flat ? and smooth I guess ? perhaps a new chapter in an otherwise flawless book you're always quoting ?

aside: 2 60 min bike sessions a day between x-rays on a femur that you really really need to heel properly might be a 60 min spin session too much ;) but you know best.

interested wrote: »
    No way ? a new stroke .... swim flat ? and smooth I guess ? perhaps a new chapter in an otherwise flawless book you're always quoting ?

;) Swimmers' humor! You "got" it. :)

interested wrote: »
    aside: 2 60 min bike sessions a day between x-rays on a femur that you really really need to heel properly might be a 60 min spin session too much ;) but you know best.

Okay, that's it...obviously I haven't any perspective when it comes to my own well being.....so, I'm accepting 2 week plans to get me to my next x-ray starting now. Feel free to pm me if anyone is so bold! :D

• Advertisement

Thursday, March 19th, 2015

The guts of the day was spent traveling to the University of Virginia's Sports Medicine Clinic to have my bone scan done....so only a bit of training done today. Waiting on results.

Swim

This was super simple - 30 minutes at a wcp of 1:24/100 yards....then 30 minutes with the pull buoy at a wcp of 1:20/100 yards. The second 30 minutes with the pull buoy was tough at times...and I got behind pace once or twice, but managed to claw it back methodically with no trouble. New goggles arrived today, so we'll see about doing some meaty interval work at the weekend.

Actual swim: ~3,953 meters in the tub

Our very own super-duper-endurance-ultra-iron-with-the-sexy-legs hoochie has given me some homework to do these next two weeks. Tonight it was some core work - including crunches, Russian twists (OMG - I have never done these before and they were killer!), and V sits. We're picking things that don't involve my bum leg. :)

Advertisement