Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The more I read about this tub setup of yours the more I'm interested in seeing a pic - do you have any to share? Wish I had the space myself.

Trust me, the current setup in the garage is far from fancy, but it is quite functional. And because it's not been 100% decided if the endless pool is staying in the garage from here to eternity, the exterior of the pool remains unfinished. I'm at work at the moment, and the only pics I have of the tub are on my phone from when it was being installed, however this should give you a basic idea of things. You can get a sense of the size/depth of it in the one pic....and in the other pic you can see the big unit at the front of the pool where the wave comes out, and you can see my cute motorized treadmill just below it. :D. Honestly, this endless pool has been fantastic and invaluable, especially given all my circumstances....and, while this is yet to be determined come race time, my gut tells me this has to be a great piece of equipment to enhance any training program.

20141217_121745.jpg

20141225_113641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

very nice Dory, looks like a super investment, i'd be a little worried about the electrical sockets so close to the pool in the 1st picture:eek:

Pmaldini wrote: »
    very nice Dory, looks like a super investment, i'd be a little worried about the electrical sockets so close to the pool in the 1st picture:eek:

;) Good catch, but to meet code (and for my safety!), the electrician had to install GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets there. And it's already been proven they work!!! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey Dory, you say you haven't decided if it will stay where it is, will it be a hard thing to move?? Any I have seen have been fully built in so never seen the 'bones' of one before.

Without going into figures, I'd say it's fairly expensive to keep the water at a decent temperature or do you just swim wetsuit all year round?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ;) Good catch, but to meet code (and for my safety!), the electrician had to install GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets there. And it's already been proven they work!!! :eek::D

thats good to hear, electricity and water really don't mix:)

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey Dory, you say you haven't decided if it will stay where it is, will it be a hard thing to move?? Any I have seen have been fully built in so never seen the 'bones' of one before.

It won't be hard to move because it would be broken down into the pieces it came as originally. The steel frame you see is just sitting on the concrete floor, and that frame is actually 8 pieces screwed together, so they'd be taken apart and moved individually. The only element of the pool that would not survive the move is the liner. Apparently I'd need a new one as that can't be salvaged once removed from the pool.
    Without going into figures, I'd say it's fairly expensive to keep the water at a decent temperature or do you just swim wetsuit all year round?! ;)

Actually, once I got the water to my desired temperature it's stayed there with relative ease. I'm not even sure the heater has kicked on in ages. The steel exterior is encased in an insulation board to help trap the heat, and there is a fitted cover (automatic!) that also helps keep the water at a balmy 85 degrees Fahrenheit. :) And most times after I've done a session in the pool, the temperature goes up a degree. I think the biggest consumption of electricity occurs when I turn on the wave current and/or the treadmill. That's where the daily expense is, not the heater.

Friday, May 1st, 2015

Run

This was a sneaky lunchtime tub trot at a wave pace of 1:52/100 yards. This felt good. Really good. I believe this was the "fastest" wave pace for the longest amount of time post-fracture run. Yay! However, I know the leg is not 100% yet - I could feel it - so I'm having to put my patience cap on and really not stress, freak out, nor break bad. I'm 11 weeks in tomorrow (Saturday), and I've just about had enough of being a semi-invalid...but I'm 11 weeks in tomorrow (Saturday), and I don't want to do anything stupid that would set me back a single day. I've come way too far. !!!!

Actual run: 60 minutes running in water

Swim

15 minutes warmup
    20 x 100 yards w/ 10 seconds rest
    15 minutes cool down

Ugh. This felt tough from the get-go. I'm not sure if the earlier tub trot today did me in, or if this was just "one of those sessions." ?? Who knows. But I managed to get through this with a wave pace of 1:15 for the 100s, and 1:24 for the warmup and cool down. I briefly thought about slowing the pace on the very first 100 to 1:16 or 1:17, but I didn't want to cave so I just kept going. I stayed relaxed and clawed my way through it. My diet was pretty crap today too, so perhaps that's a culprit. Or at least it didn't help.

Actual swim: ~3,700 meters in the fish tank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not jealous at all Dory. You're being really clever about all this - great to see.

I forgot how generous US basements can be - sadly the size of average houses over here, especially in urban settings, makes this a dream for most.

Saturday, May 2nd, 2015

Bike

What a gorgeous day for a ride on the Mad One!!! The sun was shining and my legs were catching some rays - first time out in bike shorts in the fresh air since last fall. :)

I started this ride with my favorite route of up Shenk Hollow and Rocky Branch - it's a beautiful little section with some pretty good hills and the coolest 2 dogs that always run from the house to a particular rock by the stream that they sit on wagging their tails and barking happy greetings as I pass. Then I headed out to Jeremy's Run where I "enjoyed" a few more hills before getting to a flat-ish section (that I did up and back a few times) before I turned around and headed home. I'm so lucky that I have some pretty good roads around me with little traffic and beautiful scenery.

This was the longest proper bike ride I've done since last fall. (is there an echo in here? ;)) I think it went fairly well - I drank plenty (tried out my newly-purchased-at-the-Boston-marathon-expo Nuun tri-berry energy drink tabs and LOVED them!!) and consumed 2 of my homemade energy bars - however I couldn't help but think of all the work I have yet to put in to get me up to 112 miles...and that's 112 miles in between a swim and a run. Yikes!! I already feel the clock ticking!!!

Actual bike: 46.36 miles in 2:46:22 for an average pace of 16.4 mph and and elevation gain of 2,114 feet

Swim

5 x 10 minutes each done as: easy, moderate, buoy+band, buoy+band, cruise

The paces for these was: 1:24, 1:20, 1:21, 1:21, 1:21. No complaints, in fact the buoy+band felt great! :)

Actual swim: ~3,300 meters in the tank

Sunday, May 3rd, 2015

Trainer

Well, this one got a little mixed up and I ended up doing 2 extra pyramid cadence sets, but what's the harm, right? :rolleyes::o

45 minute warmup w/5 minutes of single leg spinning
    5 x (9 minute cadence pyramid w/1 minute each @ 50, 65, 75, 85, 95, 85, 75, 65, 50), 2 minutes easy - increasing power with each set
    7 minutes easy cool down

This session is a doozy! This is the second time I have done this cadence pyramid thingy and both times I have found this to be extremely difficult. The goal is to increase the power/effort with each passing set, and to also try and keep the power within each set relatively steady. Ugh! If you look at my Garmin file you'll see that my power increases as the cadence decreases, and conversely the power decreases as the cadence increases. And I find it nearly impossible to hit the target cadence on the way up, but on the way down I'm ahead of it. This is one meaty and challenging session for this little Dory fish!!! But who doesn't love a good challenge??!!!

I had a look at my figures from this week and last week for this session, and there is an ever so slight improvement in power this week...however, I also tightened my shoes a bit on my feet today as I had noticed I had some laxity in them and wondered if I might lose power with loose shoes. ?? Any way...numbers stated as "average cadence"..."normalized power" for the 5 sets...

Today's 5 sets:

Last Sunday's 5 sets:

Actual trainer: 105 minutes of sweaty fun on the Black Cat

Run

:D
    :D:D:D

:D
    !!!!!!!!!

Yeppers!! I hopped off the bike, skipped up the stairs for a quick change into my running gear (omg!! I had RUNNING GEAR on!!!!), and then bolted out the door and into my field to test my leg for the third weekend in a row with a slow, gentle, short trot. OMG, I held my breath....I went super easy and as light on my feet as I could possibly go....and praisejesusandsendmetoheaveninasugarbowl....the leg did okay!! Whoop whoop!! It won't need to be amputated....it won't need more time to rest and get all flabby and untoned and disgustingly cellulite riddled from lack of use....it won't need to be re-broken and set in a cast and subject me to a miserable existence on crutches for god only knows how long. Nope. I think I see the light at the end of the ol' tunnel. Yep. Momma's gonna run again! Can I hear a hell yeah?? Whoop whoop!

Okayokayokay...the leg wasn't 100% perfect, but it was way better than it was a week ago, which brings me great relief. There was virtually no pain on this little field trot, only some weakness and very vague soreness - what a HUGE improvement. Whew! I did 3.5 very slow miles, and I couldn't care less about the pace. However, I felt the pace increased as the run unfolded...and the body stopped being very confused about what I was asking it to do - going from bike to run - after about mile or two. What a great little run for me. 11 weeks from the fracture - right on time, I suppose. :)

Actual run: 3.5 of the best field miles ever run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Hell yeah ! Go hear you're on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Woohoo delighted for you!

Monday, May 4th, 2015

Today was supposed to be a total rest day, but with my outdoor lap pool already warmed to a perfect 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and with two very bold (and generously proportioned) bullfrogs basically thumbing their noses at me as they swam by as I stood on the deck in total disbelief that they beat me to the annual opening day cannonball punch - the nerve!!! - I had no choice but don my very best Speedo and show them how it's done. ;)

And because I was now in the pool with two slippery friends for company, I decided I'd do a few laps to see how things felt in a conventional pool. Different. At first I felt like I was just gliding through the water with the greatest of ease, but then I rather quickly got the impression I was very, very slow...and with a very, very slow stroke. Even my arms felt a wee bit tired after a few laps. ?? But I'm not going to overthink this tonight for many reasons. Bottom line, the lap pool is now open and I have yet another tool for training at my disposal. All good. :)

Actual swim: 600 yards with two frogs giving me the ol' stink eye

Tuesday, May 5th, 2015

Trainer - Big Gear/Hill Work :eek:

;)

20 minutes warm up (done as: 12 min easy, 6 min single leg spinning, 2 min easy)
    5 x (6 minutes big gear w/cadence 60-65 rpm, 3 minutes easy spin)
    5 minutes easy
    8 x (30 seconds very hard - watts over 200, 2 minutes super easy spin)
    5 minutes cool down

I am loving these big gear sessions - they are tough and challenging, and they are all business. I did this over lunch (an extended lunch :o) with some very loud music to drown out the misery I was certainly going to be feeling. I'll be honest, there was a lot of the "f" word being said over and over in my mind as I was pushing and grinding at a cadence in the 60s. What is it about that word that makes us feel better?

Looking at my stats I am pleased that my power increased with each 6 minute set, but I'm not sure if I conclude that I was too conservative at the start, or if I approached this session spot on. ?? Speaking of stats, here are some...

The 6 minute intervals, stated as "average cadence"..."normalized power":

The 8 x 30 second blasts of power went pretty well too. Looking at the stats, the average cadence ranged from 56 to 61...the average power ranged from 215 to 233...and max power ranged from 251 to 275. Normalized power was a different matter - that was a good bit lower than average power, and ranged from 163 to 226. I assume normalized power is lower due to the brevity of the interval. ?? (the 226 normalized power was during a "goofed" interval - forgot to hit the lap button so I was actually pushing hard for 45 seconds and not 30 seconds) No matter....all good in the hood!!! :)

Actual trainer: 95 sneaky lunchtime minutes on the Black Cat

Swim

1,000 yard buoy+band speed play warmup
    12 x 200s, done as: 4 x (2 off 3:00, 1 off 3:30)
    400 easy swim
    200 easy kick

No sign of my slippery friends this evening. I guess they didn't appreciate me crashing their party last night.

This was my first proper swim in a "real" pool since last October, so I honestly had no earthly idea how this would go tonight since swimming in the endless pool is a different ball of wax. Was I pleased? Eh....it went okay. Nothing stellar....no PBs...nothing to write home about....but it wasn't horrible either. It was...okay. The faster 200s came in anywhere between 2:45 and 2:55....and I cruised the slower 200s at 3:15ish as they were meant to be an active recovery. I'm currently not where I was when I was at my best last summer, but I'm not in the gutter either. Sure, I did a hard trainer session just 5 hours earlier, however I am no dummy - I know my swimming isn't up to snuff at this moment. But, today was the first day in the real pool doing real swimming, so hopefully I'll get there. :)

Actual swim: 4,000 yards in the gentle rain

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015

Run

This makes the second time in 3 days I've had running gear on. Woo hoo!! :) I did this sneaky lunchtime style in the grassy field. I think maybe, just maybe, this even felt a smidge better than Sunday's little run. Yay!!! No Garmin was worn, but I may throw it on the next time I'm in running shoes to get a feel for how much speed I've lost in these 11+ weeks. I always have a million conversations with myself while I'm running, and today I had an entire seminar in my head about how there is no substitute for specificity.

Actual run: 3.5 sunny-in-my-purple-shorts lunchtime field miles

Run

This second run of the day was done after work in the tub...however, it got cut a little short when one hell of an electrical storm rolled in and made me a bit uncomfortable running in a vat of water with two electrical motors humming their hearts out and powering my treadmill and wave current. :eek: Can anyone say, "electrofish"? ;)

Actual run: 45 minutes in the fish tank at a 1:52 wave pace

Thursday, May 7th, 2015

Trainer

30 minutes warmup, w/5 minutes of single leg spinning
    30 x (1 min strong at race cadence, 30 second easy spin)
    15 minutes easy

The 30 x 1 min strong were done in sets of ten, with increasing effort within each set of ten. The first set was all over the place - I started too hard and just got all discombobulated. I re-grouped on the second set and did a really nice job (my opinion) in this set and in the third set to up the effort gently through the ten.

For sh*ts and giggles, normalized power for those 3 sets of ten:

121, 118, 118, 130, 128, 130, 128, 126, 127, 140
    111, 109, 117, 125, 126, 136, 140, 144, 157, 156
    111, 120, 129, 134, 137, 138, 140, 146, 160, 168

I kept the cadence for these intervals as close to 90 rpm as possible, and it actually got easier to keep that pace as this session went on. I also fueled fairly well with my 2 homemade energy bars and bottle of sports drink because I didn't want to fade on my 30 minute run off the bike. :)

Actual trainer: 90 minutes of spinning and grinning on a purring Cat

Run

Originally this was intended to be done in the tub, but I opted to try it outside with the promise that I'd shut it down if it wasn't going well. Fueling was perfect. I felt great throughout this little jaunt. First lap around the field was good and slow, but the body was relaxed and fluid. I stopped for just a minute to say hello to Mr. Smith's gorgeous black cat and to give him a pat on the head - he was hunting wascally wabbits in my field. :) Second lap around was slightly faster and even more enjoyable. Third lap around I started to feel like I was high as a kite and floating on air...and my pace must've upped too much (still quite slow, mind you!) because at the end of this lap my knee started to complain a bit. I quickly debated whether or not to stop right then and there, but decided I'd slow it back down and see what happened. And thank my lucky stars, the slower pace and minimal impact did the trick. Knee pain stopped and it was all good times after that.

To complete my thought from last night about there being no substitute for specificity....

In this case I am referring to running and swimming, and my current lack of speed in both of these disciplines. There is no doubt my endless pool has been an incredible positive for me - it has kept me sane and appears to have preserved my general fitness, but it's obvious that it is not a longterm substitute for "real" running or swimming. I feel it is a great tool to use to enhance a training program, but used exclusively, it has its limitations. I've got loads of time to get some speed back in this body before the IM in October, but my HIM in 5 weeks is another story...not to mention my obvious concerns about my running/leg. Lots to think about/decide/solve in the next few weeks, good thing I'm starting to run outside again so I can figure this all out in my mind! :)

Actual run: 3.5 post-trainer in the field on a gorgeous evening miles

Friday, May 8th, 2015

Run

This was a sneaky lunchtime field run under the hot, midday sun. There was no need for a Garmin to check my pace today - my legs were heavy from yesterday's trainer/run, plus I really needed to go gently based on yesterday's run/pain in my knee - so there was no reason to worry about pace. All went well....just sweated like a pig - good grief it's humid here!!! But, no complaints from me - I'm thankful to be doing anything in my running gear that resembles running at this point!! :)

Actual run: 3.5 hot and humid noontime field miles

Swim

1,000 yard warmup
    3 x (15 x 20 yard band only, 200 yard swim all out, 100 yard swim easy)

This went much better than my first pool session did a few days ago. Whew! :) I actually did 16 x 20 yard band only, and this was good! I was slow as crap, but I didn't cheat (no sneaky butterfly kick to keep the legs higher in the water) and I put in respectable work.

The 200s got better with each passing 200, in large part because I upped my tempo and breathing - it's like I was waking up! I honestly think it's going to take me a few (several?) sessions to get my pool legs under me again, but it will come. The last 200 was by far the hardest as it was all business, and I was totally empty when I hit the wall. I've still a long way to go to get to where I should be, but tonight proved to me that there may still be a bit of speed in me after all. 200s were: 2:44, 2:40, 2:35. And I extended the easy 100s to 120, and then tacked on an extra few laps at the very end to make this session a nice, round number.

Actual swim: 3,000 happy yards under a beautiful evening sky

Saturday, May 9th, 2015

Bike

The plan for today was to get 3.5 hours in on the bike, and to just ride how I felt.

Gorgeous day....nice and hot....sunscreen on....3 bottles of fluids containing various concoctions....baggie of super delicious homemade energy bars.....and one pouch of pizza margherita organic energy food by Clif (sounds yummy, doesn't it? ;)). Aaaaand.....I was off! Through town....down a winding road....onto a highway....up some hills...down some hills....over some railroad tracks....hello to two cyclists heading my way....slowed for a wrecker moving a wrecked vehicle....back and forth on my 2.5 mile stretch of road that is the closest thing to flat I can find around here....down on my bars (I'm on the Mad One, so not quite the tt bars)....ate, drank and was merry (except warmed pizza margherita consumed out of a pouch on a very hot day is not exactly what I'd call a fine culinary experience :eek:)....back up a horrible hill.....back over some railroad tracks....chased by a #@%^$&* dog!!!....snaked through a fun S-curve....back up and down the hills I started with (m*ther f*cker!)...and then high tailed it back home. :D

Good ride. I didn't worry about speed but had hoped it would average over 15 mph, and it did. I fueled and hydrated perfectly, so pleased with that as well. No complaints on this one!

Actual ride: 58 miles in 3:46:33 for an average slow-poke pace of 15.4 mph and an elevation gain of 2,958 feet
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/769580129

Swim

My only window to get this done today was immediately after the bike. Ugh. I managed to get just about an hour in between the two, but that's about all the time I could squeeze in. Needless to say, this was not my finest piece of work in the pool. In fact, it was pretty ugly. I didn't bother with dragging the deck clock out for this....and what was supposed to be 5 x 800s done as: (easy, moderate, buoy + band, buoy + band, cruise w/30 seconds in between sets) turned into 1600 swimming in mud, 1600 pulling in mud and muck, 800 swimming in mud, muck and nasty crap. My pace was shocking....but I will say this took some strength to get through, so not a complete waste of time. :)

Actual swim: 4,000 nasty, ugly yards in mud, muck and crap ;)

Sunday, May 10th, 2015

Bike

The goal was to do 1.5 hours on the bike, including 5 x 5 minute intervals at HIM effort. With no real plan in mind, and not even quite sure what my HIM effort is or how to execute it on this training ride, I set off on my usual trek to the roads and hills I am most familiar with and comfortable (from a safety standpoint) on. About 6 miles into my ride, I made my normal right hand turn up Rocky Branch Road for the 1.25ish mile and 200 feet of steady ascending, and that's when it hit me - I could make this "little hill" my 5 minute HIM effort intervals! I timed myself up the hill, and yep, with honest effort it took me between 5 and 6 minutes to make my way to the end of the climb. :) Happy days! And how brilliant, because I could use the nice coast back down the hill as my recovery. Whoop whoop! I'm sure the residents who were out mowing their lawns and tending to their gardens thought I was teetotally nuts going up and down their road 5 times...and I believe I exasperated the turkey vulture who was having a massive feed on the stinky roadkill each time I passed, but I thought this was pure neat-and-tidy genius, truth be known. :D

The ride went without a hitch - there was a good bit of starting and stopping since I had to unclip each time I turned around at the bottom, but I because I love repetition, this was quite enjoyable. On my way back home, I made one unplanned stop on mile 20 to move a cute box turtle out of the road, however I'm not sure he appreciated the assistance. My speed was slow, but all things considered, I'm happy with this outing.....and I'm tickled I got two days in a row on the Mad One for a combined 5.5 hours, 84 miles (134 km :D) and 4500 feet of climbing.

Actual bike: 26.32 miles in 1:42:56 for an average pace of 15.3 mph and 1,572 feet of gain

Run

This was done 3 hours after hopping off the bike, and like yesterday's swim, this was a real slogging plod. But, I just kept it even and in forward motion. It was hot, and I was sweating....but the leg/knee held up and I had no serious issues. My goal was to add 2 more laps around the field, bringing the total up to 7, and goal met. I even unexpectedly let a little "speed" get into the legs on the last half of the last lap. ;) All good. !!! :)

Actual run: ~4.9 miles in the field on a very hot day!

Monday, May 11th, 2015

Rest day!!!

The Mad One and the Black Cat had a spa day at the bike shop - cables, bar tape, tires, housing, drivetrain inspection, cleaning, buffing and lubing. :) I even had Tim check my fit on the Cat, and he raised the seat just a smidge. It immediately felt that I had lost a teeny bit of power (and I don't have any to lose!), but he double checked my position, confirmed everything looked good, then suggested I try it out (and explained why) with the understanding that I can always put it back to where it was (he marked the height for me). It was an all day event, and the wallet took a bit of a dent :o - sure, I needed a few things like uber cool and summery bike shorts, a super nice rain coat (I didn't have one for cycling!), fingerless gloves (you can never had too many!), and a handy tool so I can play bike mechanic at home! :D

Tuesday, May 12th, 2015

Run

This was a sneaky hot-and-humid lunchtime field run. !!!! And I decided to wear the Garmin. :eek: I forced myself to only look at my pace when the watch beeped each mile - I really didn't want to be influenced by the reality of my pace, but rather I wanted to run this easily and honestly. Hmm. But in the end I feel I was influenced by the knowledge that my pace was being recorded, thus I think I put a little more effort into this than I should have...which makes the slow pace even worse than it seems. :( Oh well. At least I'm running - and I have to start somewhere!!! Paces were: 9:43, 9:09, 9:18, 4:28 (8:56).

Actual run: 3.5 field miles in 32:38 for an average pace of 9:19 min/mile

Trainer

25 minutes warm up, w/5 minutes of single leg spinning
    10 x (20 seconds @ 100+ rpm (low resistance), 40 seconds easy)
    3 x (90 sec HARD, 90 sec easy, 60 sec HARD, 60 sec easy, 30 sec HARD, 30 sec easy)
    7 minutes cool down

Gosh, this was a short but spiffy session. The cadence seemed to average ~120ish rpm for the 20 second low resistance spins, with the max cadence 135 rpm. And the power was actually pretty solid (for me) on the 3 x (90/60/30 seconds HARD) intervals as they looked to hover around 175 watts for those, with a brief (very brief!) max power of 274. I loved this hour on the Cat....and I think the feeling was mutual!!

Actual trainer: 60 lovely jubbly minutes on the Black Cat

• Advertisement

Wednesday, May 13th, 2015

Okay...this is my third frickin' attempt at this post. For some strange reason, my posts are getting lost in space!

Swim

1,000 yard warmup
    800 yard band only
    200 yard easy swim
    600 yard band only
    200 yard easy swim
    400 yard band only
    200 yard easy swim
    200 yard band only
    200 yard easy swim

This was done under the midday sun in the chilly spring air. Call me crazy, but I'm loving dragging my feet behind me while I stroke, stroke, stroke. :confused: Arms were properly worked....and the 200 easy swim segments were like a slice of heaven!

Actual swim: 3,800 yards done sneaky lunchtime style

~~~~

Trainer - FTP Test!! :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Deep breath in.....aaaand, exhale.

I tossed on my brand new bike shorts to give me a bit of mental attitude for this...and I grabbed an energy bar (actually, 2! :D), a sports drink and a bottle of water. And music. There was lots of very loud and noisy music to help drown out all the yucky stuff that might be happening in my body and mind. I wanted to give myself every edge to make this as painless as possible.

There's honestly not too much to say about this test. Chances are, if you are reading this log then you probably already know all you need to know about FTP tests. They suck. And the only thing worse than having to do this test tonight is the knowledge that I'll be doing another one again in the future that I'll be comparing to this one. Ugh and barf. Here's the session I did tonight:

20 minutes warm up
    3 x 1 minute @ 100+ rpm w/ 1 minute rest in between
    5 minutes easy
    5 minutes all out
    10 minutes easy
    20 minutes time trial effort
    15 minutes easy

Garmin results are here: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/773668979

I did this with my eyes closed....for the entire 20 minutes. Seriously. Well, I did peek at the Garmin after 2 songs...and then again after 2 more songs...and since that left less than 2 minutes to go, I peeked a few more times during the fifth and final song. My understanding is I take 95% of my average power for those 20 minutes to get my FTP, thus my FTP is 157 x 95%, or 149. :o The only saving grace is when you factor in my body weight, then my watts/kg number is ~2.98. Can we just call that 3 w/kg? Any way... Must. Get. Stronger.

Actual trainer: 80 minutes of yucky power testing while trying to be as strong as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nicely paced test DD. The 5 is in excess of 15% higher then the 20 which is a good sign too.

The shape of the 5 looks all too familiar - go out hard and die a death :pac: The 20 is very well paced. Nice work! :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well done Dory, nice effort on the test. First one is tough, you know from reading on here it's going to be hard, but you've no context. next one will be different, not easier, just different.

look on the bright side, you can't be accused of mickey waving by posting your numbers, like your male counterparts have been in the past:)

Good testing Dory, like mossy says they don't get easier but you sort of get used to anticipating the suffering. You will start looking forward to them in a sort of weird way, especially when your pretty sure your training has worked and the number is on the way up.

I keep more of an eye on the numbers when I'm doing it, mainly to stop me pushing too much too early and to try keep it consistent as possible. Not going to stop the numbers going down but will stop be pushing too hard in the first few minutes especially.

And I'm another who wouldn't have a big huge FTP, but it's fairly decent when compared to my weight so I'm all about the watts/Kg. (Even if my coach isn't fully convinced about it!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

And I'm another who wouldn't have a big huge FTP, but it's fairly decent when compared to my weight so I'm all about the watts/Kg. (Even if my coach isn't fully convinced about it!)

pick a really hilly race and it suddenly becomes very important..:)

Not when you descend like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good that you got the first FTP test done Dory, first one is a real shock to the system, eh?! :)

Constructive criticism here- your easy parts of that workout are very low in both power (about 40W) and HR. I used to do similar until it was mentioned to me "easy" spinning with no effort wasn't much use on the turbo. My easy effort went up a bit, and the hard effort then went up too.

(I stand to be corrected though, and don't mean to nitpick!)

Thursday, May 14th, 2015

Run

This was a sneaky lunchtime field run...with the Garmin. Gorgeous, gorgeous day here - in fact, perfect for a run, which no doubt assisted in the success of this little jaunt. Paces were: 9:14, 9:02, 8:44, 8:35, 8:24, 2:44 (9:05). Longest run since the fracture!!! :)

Actual run: 5.3 miles in 46:46 for an average pace of 8:49 min/mile

Swim

24 x 100 yards done as:
    1 x 100 each off 1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25
    2 x 100 each off 1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25
    3 x 100 each off 1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25
    1,000 buoy-band
    200 kick

This was so-so. Either last night's FTP test caught up to me, or my swimming is off. ?? All 100s came in between 1:20 and 1:25, but the very last three were definitely a stretch. I need to resolve this - I'm just not feeling good in the water.

Actual swim: 3,600 yucky yards

Friday, May 15th, 2015

Swim

This was a little midday aquatic action under a full sun! I'm getting some pretty good Speedo tan lines on my back from all this sunshiny lunchtime swimming. !!

500 yard warm up
    5 x 100 yards off 1:40
    10 x 20 yards sprint/easy off 20 seconds
    25 x 60 yards buoy-band off 60 seconds
    300 yard cool down

This went pretty well and very manageable. The 5 x 100s all came in between 1:20 and 1:25, so I had a nice little rest in between intervals. I did the 20 x 20 yards sprint/easy as if I was doing 40 yard intervals (up hard, back easy without stopping), so I did them off 40 seconds and this worked perfectly. And speaking of perfect, the 25 x 60 yards buoy-band were brilliantly timed, allowing me a good 5+ seconds between all intervals. I was quite pleased with this set in particular.

Actual swim: 3,000 yards while tanning my back

Trainer

15 minutes warmup
    5 minutes single leg spinning (30 second intervals each leg)
    5 x 1 min each at 90 rpm, 100 rpm, 110 rpm, easy
    10 minutes at 95 rpm and effort between 100 and 110 watts
    5 x 1 min each at 90 rpm, 100 rpm, 110 rpm, easy
    10 minutes at 95 rpm and effort between 110 and 125 watts
    10 minutes cool down

This was done directly after work. I grabbed a few bites of various food items while I was warming up....then down on the bars and off I went. I "think" the single leg spinning is getting better, but I still struggle some with the left leg. I don't think the sets of increased spinning were the finest I have done, but the point of those sets is the cadence, and not the power, so I tried to focus on that only. And the targets for the two 10 minute sets were hit - 97 rpm and normalized power of 109 for the first set, and 97 rpm and normalized power of 126 for the second set. All good in Dory-hood!! :)

Actual trainer: 90 minutes of spinning on the Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

You're really getting stuck into the turbo work Dory!

Glad to see you back and healthy.

Advertisement