Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    french fries

Freedom Fries! Happy 4th July Dory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Freedom Fries! Happy 4th July Dory :D

Good catch!! ;) And in the spirit of what today is, happy 4th to you and to everyone out there too!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice work on the bike Dory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's a great spin Dory, well done. I kept thinking 100km, forgot over that side of the atlantic yous use Miles, even more impressive. What bike did you do the spin on??

joey100 wrote: »
    That's a great spin Dory, well done. I kept thinking 100km, forgot over that side of the atlantic yous use Miles, even more impressive. What bike did you do the spin on??

Yes, that's approximately 168 kilometers done yesterday! :) And some pretty good climbing. I took the Mad One (the Madone road bike)...but now I have to decide which bike I'm using in IM Louisville. ?? I'm worried with all the hills in Louisville that the Black Cat (Speed Concept) may not be the best choice for me. I'll have to study the course a bit more, ask a few peeps who might have an educated opinion, and then make a few changes (gearing) to the Cat if I'm going that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

On that course a tri bike will always be quicker.

Saturday, July, 4th, 2015

Swim

5 x 800s done as: easy, moderate, buoy-band, buoy-band, cruise

I have felt fine all day post 100 mile bike ride - I even got a boat load of good sleep last night - but boy-oh-boy did I feel sluggish and heavy during this swim. Ugh. But I kept telling myself that feeling sluggish and heavy was probably normal, all things considered. So I stroked along in my pool and got this done. Didn't wear a swim cap tonight. Just didn't feel like it. I guess it's the Independence coming out in me. :D

Actual swim: 4,000 Independence Day yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great bike ride Dory, that was some savage climbing, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't know the bike course on your ironman Dory but I remember reading this a while ago and found it interesting, it is info given by a wheel manufaturer so I wouldn't take it as gospel but generally seems to the thinking that aero trumps weight,

http://flocycling.blogspot.ie/2014/01/flo-cycling-great-debate-aero-vs-weight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Killer day out on bike, killer report and as usual brimming with understatements about your ability and fitness levels.
    Dory mixing it with the 'pros' in the mountains ! Awesome !

• Advertisement

Sunday, July 5th, 2015

Bike

Just a simple and easy 2 hour bike. I did my favorite 2 hills a few times - I like repetition and feel most comfortable in familiar surroundings. Probably the most memorable thing about this ride was when something fell out of a tree (?) and landed on my head and in my helmet. Or at least that's what it felt like and what I convinced myself happened. But I kept pedaling along.....until I could swear I felt something moving in my hair. (does this ever happen to anyone else??) I couldn't stand the thought of some gross bug crawling in my hair, so I had to stop and see what the heck was going on. But when I stopped and whipped off my helmet in my "ah ha!" moment, it was quite anti-climactic in that there was nothing. Not even a twig or a leaf or any kind of random debris could I find. :o So, there ya go. But nice ride all the same.

Actual bike: 29.52 miles in 2:00:22 for an average Sunday strolling speed of 14.7 mph and an elevation gain of 1,911 feet

~~~~~~~

Run

Treadie style....

10 minute warmup
    20 x (30 seconds at 10.0 (6:00 min/mile pace :eek:), 30 seconds rest)
    10 minute cool down

This was done about 90 minutes after the bike. I'd say the first 30 seconds "on" were the toughest as the legs hadn't a clue what had gotten into me asking them to go this fast...but things got "easier" after that. I hadn't eaten anything after the bike, so conditions weren't ideal in that sense, but it went well, all things considered.

Actual run: 40 minutes on my trusty friend

Monday, July 6th, 2015

Rest day...but I snuck in an easy 2,000 yard swim that evening. Didn't bother with a cap, and treated this as an enjoyable recovery swim à la the good old days.

Actual swim: 2,000 recovery yards

Tuesday, July 7th, 2015

Bike

30 minutes warm up, including 10 minutes of 1 minute single leg spinning
    10 minutes @ 120w (80% ftp)
    5 minutes easy @ 95 rpm
    8 minutes @ 135w (90% ftp)
    5 minutes easy @ 95 rpm
    6 minutes @ 150w (100% ftp)
    5 minutes easy @ 95 rpm
    4 minutes @ 165w (110% ftp)
    5 minutes easy @ 95 rpm
    2 minutes @ 180w (120% ftp)
    5 minutes easy @ 95 rpm
    10 minutes cool down

This went fairly well, but it seemed a bit tougher than when I did this last Tuesday. The results were pretty much the same as last week (however my cadence was a bit different for a few of the sets between weeks, indicating I was in different gears from one week to the next), however, instead of blasting the final 2 minute set and dying miserably like I did last week, this week I targeted 180w from the beginning of the 2 minutes and tried to hang on. Was some kind of work! :eek: But I managed to hang on for the most part.

Results stated as "average cadence...NP...average power":

10 minutes - 85 rpm...122w...122w
    8 minutes - 88 rpm...136w...136w
    6 minutes - 77 rpm...150w...152w
    4 minutes - 79 rpm...162w...166w
    2 minutes - 82 rpm...175w...181w

Actual bike: 95 lunchtime minutes on the Cat

~~~~~~~

Swim

400 swim
    300 pull
    200 kick
    100 IM
    3 x (300 @ 4:40, 4 x 60 @ 60, 300 @ 4:40)
    200 cool down

My legs were pooped from the start of this - in fact, so much so that I briefly considered doing the guts of this with the pull buoy, but then I thought better of that cockamamie idea. I'm going to guess my times were slightly slower than the last time I did this (not going to bother to check), but all 300s came in on 4:20ish (1:27 pace)...except I goofed on the 5th 300 and did two extra laps, and that 340 came in just under 5 minutes (1:29 pace). The 6th and final 300 was by far the one I pushed the most, yet my time was still bang on 4:20 even with the increased effort. I used the 60s as active recovery, and they all came in between 50 and 55 seconds. This was probably not my finest performance where swim speed was concerned, however I managed to push through fatigue (from the day's earlier bike session, and maybe even some residual from the century bike on Friday), hit all general targets, and finished with a bit of hunger. It's not always about time, sometimes it's about the intangibles.

Actual swim: 3,760 evening yards in my extremely warm pool <pant, pant>

Wednesday, July 8th, 2015

Run

Treadie style....

10 minutes easing into 7.5 (8 min/mile)
    All @ 7.5: 2 x (3 min @ 2% incline, 5 min flat, 2 min @ 4% incline, 5 min flat, 1 min @ 6% incline, 5 min flat)
    15 minute cool down

I did this sneaky lunchtime style while watching the Tour for inspiration. This went fairly well - inclines took some work but they were fine. Most discouraging thing was the damn side stitch rearing its ugly head a few times, causing me to stop to stretch it out. Ugh. I'm not happy about these side stitches. This better be a fleeting annoyance that will vanish as my run fitness improves. !!!

Actual run: 8 miles in 67 minutes on the treadmill done Tour de France style!

~~~~~~~

Swim

This was a very easy and enjoyable evening recovery swim while one hell of a storm rolled in from the west. I got out of the pool just in time! Yikes!!! :eek:

Actual swim: 2,000 nearly-electrifying yards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Cracking training going on Dory :cool: Great to see. That sounded like an epic century.

Thursday, July 9th, 2015

Bike

20 minute warmup (12 min easy, 6 min of 1 min single leg spinning, 2 min easy)
    5 x (6 min in big gear w/cadence between 60-65, 3 min easy)
    5 minutes easy
    8 x (30 seconds @ 200+w, 2:30 easy)
    5 minute cool down

I did this sneaky lunchtime style while watching the Tour. (Tony Martin!!!! :eek:) I believe I've done this session 3 times now, and I believe today's power in the 5 x 6 minute sets was more even between the sets than the previous two times, but today's power was also overall slightly less than the previous two times and cadence was also slightly slower. Not sure if that should concern me or not, but I worked hard and felt in control. And other than tonight's very first (of 8) 30 seconds burst of power, all 30 seconds had an average power in excess of 200w. Good session!

5 x 6 min big gear (first 3 in one gear, next 2 in one gear harder) stated as "average cadence...NP":

63 rpm...131w
    65 rpm...137w
    66 rpm...142w

62 rpm...147w
    61 rpm...147w

Actual bike: 1:39:00 on the Cat

~~~~~~~

Swim

1,000 warmup
    6 x 60 (20 sprint, 40 easy)
    20 x 20 band only
    200 for time!
    200 cool down

I felt good in the water tonight - felt strong and had no issues. It was a bit of a stormy evening out there, and the wind was blowing pretty hard, but the rain held off so the sky was just a moody backdrop to encourage me along.

The lone 200 for time came in bang on 2:35 (1:17.5 pace) - I used my digital pool clock for this one, so the time is quite accurate. I'm sort of okay with that time, but I'm not jumping up and down for joy. If my memory serves me right, I had more speed last summer - and today's time merely equals a timed 200 I did about 6 or 7 weeks ago. Of course that timed 200 6 or 7 weeks ago wasn't done a few hours after a quality bike session, so there is that!

Actual swim: 2,160 moody evening yards

Friday, July 10th, 2015

(this will be quick and dirty....)

Swim

500 warmup
    5 x 100 buoy-band @ 1:35
    10 x 200 done as:
    3 @ 3:00, 2 @ 2:55, 1 @ 2:50, 2 @ 2:55, 1 @ 2:50, 1 @ 2:45
    500 cool down

The buoy-band sets all came in between 1:27 and 1:30. These felt totally fine.

The first two 200s came in on 2:50 while breathing every 3, but on the third 200 I decided to start breathing every 2 and the time dropped to 2:45. I pretty much kept it at 2:45 for the next four 200s, but then my time started to creep up to 2:48. Ugh. But I dug a little deeper on the tenth and final 200 and hit the wall just a smidge under 2:45. This was some work!

Actual swim: 3,500 pretty tough yards!

~~~~~~~

Run

Still dripping wet and smelling of chlorine, this was just an hour long field trot without my Garmin turned on. I knew this was going to be slow, but I didn't need (nor want) my little computerized friend ruining my run by reminding me just how slow I was in fact going. I'd much rather do the math post-run and figure it out for myself! I ran 9 times around the field, stopped once for a huge swig of water, and was out there for an hour (watched the clock!)....which means I ran ~6.3 miles in ~60 minutes....which means my pace was somewhere around 9:31 min/mile....which means this wasn't as slow as I would have guessed!

Actual run: 6.3 field miles in an hour on a very muggy night immediately after a pretty tough swim!

Saturday, July 11th, 2015

Bike

This was a proper bike ride, and I got out and tried to find some hills....to go down. :o Since one of my many weaknesses on the bike is the downhill, my goal today was to work on my fear of the free-fall. :eek: I did okay - some of the downhills I was able to avoid hitting the brakes, but there were a few that I couldn't get over the freak-out. If I had to give myself a grade, it would be a B-. Much work to do!!!

Because of our hot weather, I tend to carry one bottle of fluids per hour that I'll be out there - and I used all 4 bottles today. I've really gotten into stashing an extra bottle in the back of my jersey - works quite well. And I consumed 3 of my energy bars - they work well for me too!

The ride itself was pretty uneventful, however I did see my life flash before my eyes when a rogue squirrel started to dash out in front of me, until I let out a loud "whoop!" and scared the little rascal into thinking twice about his proposed trajectory.

I was sort of disappointed in the elevation gain - I was hoping to rack up ~1,000 feet/hour, but after I enabled elevation corrections, the Garmin Edge recorded gain dropped from 4,000+ feet to 3,300 feet. :( Lord knows the legs were convinced I had climbed 4,000+ feet!! Again, a little disappointing as I've been told IM Louisville is 6,000+ feet, so I really need to get cracking on my climbing! But, all in all, this was a good ride!!

Actual bike: 57.7 miles in 3:54:58 for an average slow-poke pace of 14.7 mph and an elevation gain of 3,332 feet

~~~~~~~

Run

:eek: This was a 20 minute run off the bike. :eek: Good god there is not much I hate more than running off the bike, but it had to be done. So, after an extended bike-to-run transition that included the long walk up my gravel driveway, a change in duds, a quick check of my phone for messages (hello Oryx and interested! ;)), and a quick glug of refrigerated water...I was off. Barf. Did I mention I detest running off the bike? But I just got with it. However, I did pick the "fastest" section of the field to run in :o, so my pace time actually probably looks a bit better than it really was. This was ugly - it was hot, and it felt like I was just throwing my body forward - like I had no form at all. So, you can imagine my total shock when the watch beeped the first mile at sub 8 min/mile. ?? I knew this was an unrealistic and unsustainable pace, but what the hell - I just kept going. The next mile was faster still.....but the walls came tumbling down after that - the final partial mile was pure misery. Limit hit. Stick a fork in me, I was done!!!

Paces: 7:49, 7:40, 5:09 (8:03)

Actual run off bike: 2.64 miles in 20:39 for an average pace of 7:49 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

You should get a Camelbak for hydration. They fit very snugly on your back and unlike bottles they provide some insulation. So your water will stay relatively cooler, even over a four hour ride.
    Depending on the size you get, you could also store spare tyres, pump, etc. in its pockets.

Sunday, July 12th, 2015

Trail run

Lovin' my trail runs. And this was done zico-inspired style - with my pink Camelbak strapped on my back full of water to keep me hydrated. (yesyesyes I know zico was suggesting I use my Camelbak for cycling....)

This was supposed to be 1:45 of trails, so I did some quick calculations in my little head to estimate the forest distance I needed to go on my "out" so that the "out and back" would get me to my time goal. The particular trail I like to run is hard. As I mentioned two weeks ago when I did this run, it's technical and fraught with nature-made challenges and obstacles...so it's very slow going. But the good news is, I was in no hurry!!! Yay!!!

It was a lovely, sunshiny day to be running under a canopy of green....and I think I ran through a zillion spider webs, many of which were level to my face - yuck. At the start of mile 2, I ran past a bathing suit clad couple who were frolicking in the waterfalls at the very rocks that I was planning on sprawling out and having a snack on my way back....on mile 4, I met up with a map-studying fly fisherman who seemed to be lost and confused as he asked me a few questions about the trail we were on....and on my return, the frolicking couple was gone so I claimed my rocks by the waterfall and did a little sunbathing while I snacked on goodies and snapped pics with my phone. Ah, ain't life grand?

Slow going...but job done.

Actual run: 8.95 very technical and slippy-rock-crossing-stream miles in 1:51:xx

~~~~~~~

Swim

15 x 300s done as:
    5 x 300 swim w/30 sec rest
    5 x 300 buoy-band w/30 sec rest
    5 x 300 swim w/30 sec rest

This was done very late - after 7:30, so by the time I finished it was getting dark. And this was a slog - very tired from the week's hard work. I didn't worry about time at all - didn't even drag the clocks out on deck - but got this done!! Whoop whoop!!!

Actual swim: 4,500 very heavy yards

Monday, July 13th, 2015

Rest day!!!!

And so starts an easier week....

Tuesday, July 14th, 2015

Swim

500 warm up
    20 x 100 @1:30
    200 cool down

The first few 100s started out 1:20-1:23...then I settled into my happy 1:25 pace...but by the 9th 100, my pace had slipped to 1:27/28. Ugh. So after the 10th 100, I took a 60 second rest to regroup and get the quality back up, and it worked. The remaining 100s came in between 1:20 and 1:25, with the very last one coming in at 1:22. Short and snappy!!!

Actual swim: 2,700 spiffy yards

Wednesday, July 15th, 2015

Bike

30 minute warmup, with 10 minutes of single leg spinning
    3 x (90 sec hard/90 sec easy, 60 sec hard/60 sec easy, 30 sec hard/30 sec easy)
    12 minutes cool down

I did this sneaky lunchtime style on the Cat while watching the Tour de France. Good god, those boys on their bikes....well....there are no words. I just watch them in pure amazement and think, how in the world can I ever complain about my measly training or the perceived pain I am ever in? They are my inspiration. If they can suffer, then so can I.

This session was fine. I tried to use a fairly tough gear - in fact, my average "hard" cadence was 72-74 for the first two sets, then I upped the cadence to 75-78 for the last set while keeping it in the same gear for all three sets.

Props to Dan Martin and Ritchie Porte for their performances the last two day. Respect!

Actual bike: 60 minutes on the Black Cat while admiring how cool Tinkoff-Saxo's jerseys are!!

~~~~~~~

Run

Treadmill.....
    15 minute warmup
    5 x (3 min @ 8.0, 1 min easy)
    10 minute cool down

Loved this. Legs are starting to feel fresh again, and each 3 minute interval felt easier and easier. In fact, by the 4th interval it felt so easy that I actually double and triple checked the speed setting to make sure it was actually set to 8!

Actual run: 5.25 super fun miles on the treadie while listening to rock music and dreaming about my boys on bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So pictures taken on a rock beside a waterfall and none shared? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hope she got some of the frolicking couple

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Hope she got some of the frolicking couple

Ew. No. :eek:

Remember, I don't live in Hollywood where everyone gets Botox and breast implants. I live in rural America where all-you-can-eat buffets are plentiful and "being ripped" means a night out with a case of redneck beer. ;)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    So pictures taken on a rock beside a waterfall and none shared? :(

They were taken with my phone, but I will post a few (read: several :D) in just a bit!!! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Frolicking created a certain image. Cavorting or romping might have given a more heavyweight impression ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Wrastlin' comes to mind...

cjt156 wrote: »
    Wrastlin' comes to mind...

And pork rinds.

Okay, per Gibbo's request!!! Pics! :D

Now I am not very good at this attaching pictures thing, so this may take me a few posts to get them all in since I don't know how to reduce the photo file size down to attach multiple pics.....

Here is one of the waterfall (can't really see the entire thing)....

image.jpg

Here's one view from the rocks.....

image.jpg

Here's another view from the rocks...looking from behind...

image.jpg

Here's the fallen tree I shimmy across at one of the MANY stream crossings....

image.jpg

The rocky trail....

image.jpg

• Advertisement

And last but not least....the smoothest part of the trail....

image.jpg

Advertisement