Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Happy Happy Thanksgiving DD :):) Wishing you a happy and cheerful day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thursday, November 26th, 2015 - Thanksgiving Day :D

Bike

30 min warmup with single leg drills
    10 x 15 sec MAX power/45 sec easy
    30 x 1 min at race cadence as best avg, start out steady and build each 10/30 sec easy
    10 x 20 sec at cadence 110+/40 sec easy
    15 min warm down

I was up early this morning whipping my sweet potatoes and putting out the fire I started when my kitchen cloth caught on fire! Yikes!! And it wasn't even 5 o'clock yet! :o But all is well....and this little set was harder than I had hoped it would be. I didn't bother tracking each 1 minute interval for the first two sets of 10, but I know I started out too hard on that first set so I honestly didn't really have much room to go up...however I did a better job on the second set. The third set was my best set, and the data stated as "average cadence...average power" is as follows:

93 rpm...116w
    93 rpm...121w
    95 rpm...128w
    97 rpm...131w

up one gear
    90 rpm...148w
    92 rpm...157w
    92 rpm...160w

up one gear
    84 rpm...173w
    86 rpm...172w

up one gear
    77 rpm...190w

Actual bike: 1 hour and 50 minutes on the Cat

~~~~~~~

Run

I did this on the treadmill to save me time since I still have to prep the bird for the oven and need to tend to a few other miscellaneous tasks before the big feast with friends.

I started out at a nice 6.0 and upped it .2 every three minutes until I settled into 6.6 and held it there for the duration. Not a bad little run. I suppose it burned off a few extra calories to make room for an extra slice of homemade pecan pie laden with yummy vanilla ice cream! :)

Actual run: 30 minutes on the treadie

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Two sessions... on Thanksgiving Day!! Above and beyond, Dory :D

Pecan pie mmmmmmm

Friday, November 27th, 2015

Swim

Post-Thanksgiving Day beached whale alert!!!! :eek:

8 x 6 minutes done as:
    1 @ 1:33
    2, 3, 4 @ 1:27
    5, 6 @ 1:24
    7 @ 1:21
    8 @ 1:33

I did this over lunch....and not too much to say about this one. Very mild here today, so the garage doors were up....and I managed to sneak in some breast stroke on the final 1:33. :D

Actual swim: lunchtime swim in the tank

Saturday, November 28th, 2015

Run

Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic run with my Irish buddy who is visiting for the holidays, the Duke of Dromada. :D He wanted to take advantage of the amazing natural resources that are at my disposal, so we headed to Jeremy's Run for a little bit of trail running in the quiet woods along a babbling stream - pure heaven. We dodged the rocks and roots, hurdled the stumps, watched our footing on the leaves, shimmied over the stream on fallen trees, slipped, splashed, laughed, and chatted the entire way. What a nice change up for me - company is not something I am used to having. :)

This was to be 60 to 90 minutes of running any way I wanted, and 90 minutes it was in a magical forest with a friend. It doesn't get much better than this.

Actual run: 90 minutes done medieval forest style

• Advertisement

Sunday, November 29th, 2015

Bike

Trainer:
    30 mins warm up
    Cadence set - 24 min total:
    4 x [easy gear, start cadence at 75 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until you reach 120 rpms (5 mins) + 1 min rest]

Leg Drills - 9 min total:
    1 min each leg 60 rpm - hard gear. 1 min easy
    1 min each leg 80 rpm - easy gear. 1 min easy

Standing big gear set -21 min total:
    3 x [5 mins standing biggest gear possible- surging the final 10 secs of each min + 2 mins easy]

Cadence set - 7 min total:
    1 x [easy gear, start cadence at 70 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until you reach 105rpms then hold 3.5 mins]

3 x 3 at 135W with 2 min easy
    10 min easy

This was done very late in the day, but I think all things considered it went fairly well. I noticed my body is a little sore in some strange places after yesterday's trail run - the technical nature of the trail we were on with its rocks, stumps, roots, fallen trees, and uneven terrain make it a full body sport with some good core work.

No need to bore you peeps with excess drivel tonight, so I'll proceed directly to the nitty gritty - the standing big gear set. It was hard, but not nauseatingly so. Data as "average cadence...average power" was:

53 rpm...147w
    53 rpm...158w
    54 rpm...170w

And I felt it was slightly cruel to have me go directly from the 7 minute cadence set to the 3 x 3 minutes at 135w with no "easy" in between, but hey, if it makes me stronger then sign me up! Data as "average cadence...average power" was:

80 rpm...135w
    78 rpm...137w
    79 rpm...138w

Actual bike: 2 hours and 5 minutes of late-in-the-day quality time with the Cat

Tuesday, December 1st, 2015

Bike

20 min warmup with 5 min single legs
    10 x 20 sec at 110 rpm + 40 sec easy
    5 x 7 min as 1 min each at 55, 65, 75, 85, 75, 65, 55 + 2 min easy
    5 x 20 sec at 110 rpm + 40 sec easy
    10 min cool down

This was done sneaky lunchtime style on a cold, wet day. Hello December!! All went well....no complaints to make. I seemed to keep things fairly even (I think) with power between cadences - but that damn 65 rpm is my toughest one to hit. I'm sure it has to do with my gearing. The average cadence for the 5 x 7 minute sets was 71, 71, 71, 71, 72....and the average power was 133, 134, 134, 135, 139. Happy with this!

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Cat

~~~~~~~

Swim

10 minute warm up
    3 x :
    {4 x (30 sec at MAX pace (1:15), 60 sec rest)
    6 min @ 1:24
    3 min @ 1:33}
    5 min cool down

This session felt way better than when I did it last week. It was less chaotic, and I felt I had control of the water tonight. It was still hard, mind you - those 30 seconds at 1:15 are nothing to sneeze at, and it took increasing effort to not drift to the back of the tub - but I felt I was managing things quite well. There is no doubt in my mind that there is good value in doing this snappy little set!!!

Actual swim: a snappy evening swim in the tub!

Wednesday, December 2nd, 2015

Run

Treadmill time!!!

15 min @ 6.6
    15 min @ 6.9
    15 min @ 7.2
    15 min @ 7.5

This was done over lunch on yet another cold, rainy day...so I was quite content to do this in the warmth of my dry basement. :) Not much to say about this - all went well, and I seemed to really get into my groove by the last 15 minutes, however I was happy as a clam when the 60 minutes were done. Whoop whoop!

Actual run: 7.06 miles in 60 minutes on my treadie

~~~~~~~

Swim

This was a recovery swim....

15 min swim
    10 min buoy-band
    10 min swim
    5 min buoy-band
    5 min swim
    5 min buoy-band

I set the wave pace to a dreamy 1:33 for the first 15 minutes, then held it at a delightful 1:30 for the remainder of the swim. The swim was slow and easy, but don't be misled, the arms know the flip turns have been taken away! And this got me to thinking about how often I flip in my summer-time 20 yard pool - every 16 to 18 seconds!!! :eek: Wow. That's pretty mind blowing on a certain level.

Actual swim: 50 minutes in the tank

Assignment:

Next log has to be in Haiku form. Marks will be given for structure and syntax. Marks will be deducted for rhyming.

-Prof. Godel

Thursday, December 3rd, 2015

Bike

20 min warmup
    10 x 15 sec max cadence and max power + 45 sec easy
    2 x 10 min as (4 min at 125 W, 3 min at 135W, 2 min at 145W, 1 at 155+) + 5 min easy
    5 x 1 min MAX all you got, 2 min easy
    10 min easy

The Black Cat, spinning
    Legs scream, heart pounds, mind stands firm
    Get me an eggnog.

(Garmin data, if anyone even cares after that sizzling poetry I just put down -

2 x 10 min:
    4 min - 87 rpm...126w
    3 min - 80 rpm...137w
    2 min - 72 rpm...147w
    1 min - 72 rpm...181w

4 min - 88 rpm...127w
    3 min - 81 rpm...139w
    2 min - 72 rpm...148w
    1 min - 73 rpm...192w

5 x 1 min:
    74 rpm...208w
    75 rpm...213w
    75 rpm...222w
    74 rpm...212w
    77 rpm...228w)

Actual bike: 85 minutes of what I said above in my very descriptive and disciplined haiku ;):D

~~~~~~~

Run

Pound, pound on the belt
    My artificial landscape
    Where is that eggnog?

Actual run: 30 minutes of what I said above in yet another award winning haiku done on the treadmill immediately after the 85 minute spin on the Black Cat ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Run

Pound, pound on the belt
    My artificial landscape
    Where is that eggnog?

Love it !

"Where is that eggnog?"

This grows in profundity with every reading!

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    "Where is that eggnog?"

This grows in profundity with every reading!

It does! It's also my kigo. :)

Hello log...I took a few days off from recording my comings and goings....holiday spirit and all that. ;)

Saturday, December 5th, 2015

Run on the track! :eek:

20 minutes warmup
    12 x (800 @ 4:15, 200 easy)
    10 minutes cool down

Beautiful day...very cold...all bundled up....could've been an advertisement for lululemon. In fact, I should get some sort of commission for being all swaddled from head to toe in the lulu - a walking running advertisement!! But the run was fine. Long story short, unlike my old Garmin that always made me look much speedier than I really am, my new Garmin has me looking like I'm dragging my @ss around the oval. wtf?? So, that contributed to my very characteristically undisciplined pace. In other words, I went too fast. hello old friend! But I felt good, and I never faded...so...I'll just aspire to do better next time. :)

800s came in at:
    3:49, 3:48, 3:53, 3:48, 3:45, 3:43
    3:46, 3:43, 3:43, 3:45, 3:43, 3:43

Actual run: 10.1 miles in 1:29:36

Sunday, December 6th, 2015

Bike

This was 3 hours on the Mad One, and I was bundled up like an eskimo. I even had my winter cycling gloves on!!! I went early enough in the day that there were patches of ice in one particular stretch of my route, so I took great care on my tiny Mad One tires to not go slip sliding away. Nothing too remarkable about this ride - it was to be done any way I wanted, so I just enjoyed myself.

Actual bike: 44.88 miles in 3:02:58 and an elevation gain of 3,228 feet

~~~~~~~

Run

This was a little tub trot immediately after the bike. I had the wave set to 2:02, and the music set to "belt-out-loud" tunes. Both the lungs and the legs got a workout! :D

Actual run: 30 minutes in the tub

Tuesday, December 8th, 2015

Bike

20 minute warmup
    30 x (1 min @ 55 rpm, 1 min easy)
    10 x (20 sec 110+ rpm, 40 sec easy)
    5 minute cool down

This was done sneaky lunchtime style on the Cat, and I believe this is the first time I've done this session. In retrospect, I realize I was a bit too conservative starting off - not having any reference point, I was worried I would die if I pushed too hard too soon, so I picked a gear I knew I could handle and kept it there for the first 20 intervals. My rpms for those 20 intervals hovered around 60. I upped it one gear for the final 10 intervals and I was bang on 55 rpms with honest effort. This gearing is now duly noted for the next time I do this session. !!!!

Actual bike: 95 minutes on the Cat

~~~~~~~

Swim

10 minute warmup
    3 x
    {4 x 30 sec at 1:15, 60 sec rest
    6 min at 1:24
    3 min at 1:33}
    5 min cool down

I'm getting used to these short, spiffy spurts in turbulent water!! Good session done after work in the fish tank! :)

Actual swim: what I said above

Wednesday, December 9th, 2015

Run

On the treadmill....

30 min @ 6.8
    15 min @ 7.2
    10 min @ 7.6
    5 min @ 8.0

A little lunchtime trot was on today's menu, and it went quite well. The first 45 minutes felt pretty easy, but the increased pace was noticed on the next 10, and then working-gal-effort was employed for the final 5. Decent session - nothing too crazy, but there was a little boredom during that long initial stretch of 30 minutes that honestly might have been the toughest element of this session. I guess good for a bit of mental conditioning!

Actual run: 7.15 miles in 60 minutes

~~~~~~~

Swim

This was to be 45 minutes of easy swimming any way I wanted, so basically it was 45 minutes at a hypnotic 1:30 pace that nearly had me drifting off to sea and not looking back. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.... ;)

Actual swim: 45 Dory minutes in the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    On the treadmill....

Really? It's like Spring here ... absolute ideal conditions outdoors.

what pace does these tm setting equate to 8.0 -> 7.30 right ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Really? It's like Spring here ... absolute ideal conditions outdoors.

what pace does these tm setting equate to 8.0 -> 7.30 right ?

I know!! It's been absolutely gorgeous outside, but I am a slave to the plan. :confused:

And yes, 8 on the treadmill is 8 mph, so 7:30 pace. So the progression was: 8:49, 8:20, 7:53, 7:30.

Thursday, December 10th, 2015

Bike

30 min warmup, including 5 min single leg drills
    10 x (3 min at race cadence keeping power above 135w, 2 min easy)
    10 min cool down

I enjoyed this session - again, another session I don't believe I have done before (but I could be wrong about this???). I immediately found a gear that would maintain a power above 135w if I kept my cadence above 80 rpm...so...the rest was simple. :D All I had to do was focus on my revolutions. Yay! Of course my legs started screaming at me somewhere along the way, but I kept telling myself that the screaming was normal and quite acceptable so I might as well learn to enjoy how the screaming felt. It sort of worked - I didn't let up.

The Garmin data for those 10 x 3 min intervals is as follows:

79 rpm...137w
    81 rpm...138w
    82 rpm...144w
    82 rpm...143w
    82 rpm...146w
    82 rpm...148w
    83 rpm...150w
    84 rpm...154w
    84 rpm...156w
    86 rpm...165w

Legs were a bit shaky at the end!

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Cat

~~~~~~~

Run

This was a run off the bike, and after a very quick t2 (all I had to do was change my shoes), I hopped on the treadmill and put in 30 minutes in as relaxed a fashion as I could muster. I started out at 6.0, then upped it .3 every 3 minutes until I reached 6.6, then I just kept it there. I fought a very annoying side stitch throughout these 30 minutes - which was so, so annoying...and I would love to know some ways to prevent these damn side stitches that I seem to be getting on a regular basis! But, not a bad little run all things considered!

Actual run: 3.25 miles in 30 minutes

A bit of weekend catchup. These holidays are killing me!! :D

Friday, December 11th, 2015

Swim

5 min swim
    10 min buoy-band
    5 min swim
    15 min buoy-band
    5 min swim
    10 min buoy-band
    5 min swim

It was up to me to set the paces, so on the fly I decided I'd sort of do the buoy-band work as a pyramid. Paces were as follows:

5 min swim @ 1:30
    10 min buoy-band @ 1:27
    5 min swim @ 1:27
    15 min buoy-band @ 1:24
    5 min swim @ 1:27
    10 min buoy-band @ 1:27
    5 min swim @ 1:30

Some honest effort was employed on the 1:24 buoy-band set, and if I do this session again I'll probably do all the buoy-band sets at that 1:24. I felt really good and strong during this swim.

Actual swim: 55 minutes swimming like an Egyptian

~~~~~~~

Run

Hopped out of the tub and onto the treadmill....this was an hour of runway trotting. Other than my vow to try my absolute best to sneak out of work a little early for lunch so I can get future swim/run combo sessions done then instead of after work on a long and exhausting Friday, there really wasn't anything spectacular about this run. The settings I used for these 60 minutes were, in increments of 15 minutes each: 6.6, 6.9, 7.2, 6.6.

Actual run: 60 minutes on the treadmill

Saturday, December 12th, 2015

Run

This. Was. Ugly.

:eek::o

Holy mackerel, I have no words for how bad this was. Maybe I hadn't eaten enough. Maybe I was tired. Maybe I am doing too much with the holidays and a very sick kitty. Whatever. All I know is I am going to type this very quickly, sort of like when you yank off a bandaid super fast to get the pain over with lickety split.

A few brief details: hot day....actually changed my running duds twice because it was so hot...did this in the field....first mile time includes some faffing about...odd miles were in the "slow" section of the field....even miles were in the "fast" section of the field...felt like a slug from start to finish....gave up worrying about pace at some point in the run, but never gave up doing the run. Okay, if you have a weak stomach, look away...all others, here are my most-horrible mile spits. :eek::o

12:13, 8:45, 9:14, 8:57, 9:43
    8:57, 9:29, 9:26, 10:09, 5:03 (10:07)

This run is best forgotten. And the quicker the better!

Actual run: 9.5 miles in 1:31:54 for an average pitiful pace of 9:40 min/mile

Sunday, December 13th, 2015

Bike

Well.....I was supposed to do a 3 to 4 hour bike ride today, but low and behold yesterday's ugly run just got a little uglier as I must've strained something in my inner thigh/groin while running. ??? I didn't feel anything while running, but boy-howdy is something sore today. In fact, it started getting sore last night...so today I erred on the side of caution and changed the plan up. Instead of doing 3 to 4 hours outside on the bike, I hopped on the trainer for 60 minutes of low resistance spinning. (I also added a swim and a tub trot to make up for my missed bike ride. :D) But the spin was fine - no pain if I stayed down on the bars - some soreness was elicited if I came up off the bars. I did this little spin while listening to Christmas tunes. Lovin' the Christmas tunes! They make you feel so cheery!!! :)

Actual bike: 60 minutes of fa-la-la-ing

~~~~~~~

Swim

This was an add-on since I bagged the bike ride, and this swim was super fab! Unfortunately, however, the downward motion of my kick made my inner thigh complain too much, so I did these 60 minutes all buoy-band. I did the session like this:

20 min buoy-band at 1:30
    15 min buoy-band at 1:27
    10 min buoy-band at 1:24
    5 min buoy-band at 1:21
    10 min buoy-band at 1:33

This really felt good! And by the time I got to the 1:24 set, I was working it like a big girl to the point that my fingers (mainly my pinky finger and the one next to it) on my left hand were even fatigued from all that catching and moving of water!! I keep telling myself how beneficial all this not stop swimming will be for me down the road - I keep hoping it will pay me dividends come 2016 races. Fingers (even the fatigued ones) crossed.

Actual swim: 60 minutes in the tank

~~~~~~~

Run

This was another add-on...and in part I was just curious how my inner thigh/groin would do with a tub trot. And thank my lucky stars above, the thigh/groin was/were totally fine! Whoop whoop!! I did this at a super easy wave current of 2:16. I'm just relieved no soreness was noticed. Yay!!!

Actual run: 20 minutes in the tub

• Advertisement

Tuesday, December 15th, 2015

Swim

I've got a bit of a recovery week going on here, I believe mainly due to the struggle of a run I had on Saturday, and due to the slight injury I picked up on that run. And I'm not complaining - I actually need this, I need to exhale with all this holiday joy and festive stuff and ho-ho-ho-ing that is in the air right now. :)

So.....the swim was quite simple and easy:

5 x 8 minutes done as:
    #1 @ 1:33 swim
    #2, #3 @ 1:30 w/ buoy-band
    #4 @ 1:30 swim
    #5 @ 1:27 swim

The water felt good....the pace was perfect....and the injury is much, much improved. Yippie ki-yay!!! Giddy up!!

Actual run: 40 easy minutes in the tub

Wednesday, December 16th, 2015

Run

Treadie style, baby!!!

20 minute warmup
    20 x (20 sec @ 9.8, 40 sec off)
    20 minutes @ 6.8

Ah, another lovely recovery week session. :) I eased into this slowly to test out the injury - I started the warmup at 6 and upped it .2 every 3 minutes until I got to 6.8 and held it there until I started the "on/off" intervals. All good, so I held my breath and hoped the leg would play ball for the spiffy 20 second bursts...and I had one scare on the 3rd interval when I could feel some soreness. Ugh. I debated quickly about what to do since I have zero interest in aggravating any sort of injury, especially at this time of year...and I decided I'd give a 4th interval a try, but I also decided I'd make a point of staying super relaxed in the hopes that that would somehow help keep any soreness at bay. I have no idea if that is what did it, but I never felt the injury after that. Yay! I totally loved the 20 seconds "on"....and that quick pace made the final 20 minutes @ 6.8 feel so incredibly easy and slow. Okay, so 6.8 is merely an 8:50 pace (which really is easy and slow), but I am always amazed at just how easy that 8:50 pace feels when preceded by bursty speed, especially when you consider I'd love to have that 8:50 as my IM pace. :)

Actual run: 60 bursty minutes on the treadie

Thursday, December 17th, 2015

Bike

Aaaaaand....recovery week continues....

30 minute warmup, including 5 minutes of single leg drills
    5 x (2 min @ 100 rpm, 2 min @ 90 rpm, 1 min @ 80 rpm)
    5 minute cool down

It was up to me to decide the gearing....and like a ship lost at sea, I was a bit all over the place with this one. You know, sometimes I need guidance. I like structure...I like things defined for me...I like neat and tidy edges and math problems that are divisible by 3. Perhaps not all things in life do I want structure, defined, neat or tidy...but in my training, most times I do. However....I just winged this. I tried to keep effort up for the 100 rpm and 90 rpm intervals, and I allowed the 80 rpm to be a recovery minute. I think this went okay. I'm not going to bother taking up space with the detailed data since this wasn't high quality, but suffice it to say I worked up a sweat.

Actual bike: 60 minutes on the Cat making it up as I went

~~~~~~~

Run

This was a 30 minute trot in the tub with the wave set to 2:02 and Christmas tunes filling the air. Oh how the acoustics were in rare form tonight! Without a doubt, the musical highlight this evening was that harmoniously frisky version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman by Barenaked Ladies. All I'm going to say about my performance with the boys is, move over Sarah McLachlan, Dory is in the house! ;)

Actual run: 30 minutes singing with some naked merry gentlemen in my tub

Friday, December 18th, 2015

If it's Friday, then it's my swim/run combo!!! And I kept last Friday's vow to take an extended lunch to get this over with midday because having to do this in the evening after a long week and a long day is really quite painful.

Swim

10 minute warmup
    3 x
    {4 x 30 sec at MAX effort (1:15 wave pace), 60 sec rest),
    6 min @ 1:24,
    3 min @ 1:33}
    5 minute cool down

Wow, what a difference a few days of recovery can make! This. Felt. Great. :) The 4 x 30 sec at 1:15 (don't fool yourself, 1:15 in my pool is a rockin' and a rollin' spiffy little battle of serious swimming against a wave that's laughing at you the entire time) were the best I've done to date. There was no slow drift to the back of the tank because I couldn't keep up - instead, at times I was moving faster than the current itself. Whoop whoop! I briefly considered upping the pace to 1:14, but quickly banished that thought! However, I never used the entire 60 seconds of rest - on average I'd say I took 30.

The 1:24 sets were remarkable because of how much slower the arm rotation was compared to the 1:15 pace, which made the initial transition to the 1:24 seem so easy, however after about 3 minutes into those sets, effort was required to them finish out. And, of course, the 1:33s were lovely jubbly - I even dabbled in some breaststroke to give the arms a break!

Actual swim: 60 solid minutes in the tub

~~~~~~~

Run

This was 60 minutes easy on the treadmill with dripping wet hair. It's sort of a sin I didn't do this in the field since the sun was shining, but I honestly didn't have the extra time to get properly dressed, plus it was chilly out there and I had wet hair - don't need to be getting sick with all the holiday partying I've got on my dance card! I eased into things by starting out at a 6, then I upped it .2 every 3 minutes until I reached 6.8, and then I stayed right there. My body and legs felt really heavy for the first 20 to 30 minutes, but by the time I had put in 40 minutes I was in my groove and could have gone on longer than the prescribed hour.

Actual run: 6.7 treadmill miles in 60 treadmill minutes

Saturday, December 19th, 2015

Run

Another track session!! :eek::D

20 minute warmup
    12 x (800 meters at 4:00, 200 easy)
    10 minute cool down

My goal number one today was to try and get as close to 4:00 per 800 meters as possible. In previous attempts I have gone way too fast, and it has been expressed to me that I really need to hit the prescribed pace. So, I was committed to doing so....and I decided to track my pace not by the Garmin average pace display since I have proven it reads distance long, but rather by using my watch like a stop watch and glancing at it every 200 meters. I even went one step further and configured my watch to alert me every minute (since that was my goal time for each 200) with the brilliant idea that the alert would then make my need to glance at my watch obsolete. Wrong. Unless there is another way to set the time alert, my Garmin does not recognize when I hit the lap button to start the 1 minute countdown. Boo. If there truly isn't a way to do this, then I say Garmin needs to figure this out! And if there is a way to configure this, then I'm going to have to find out how!

Any way....the run went pretty well. I did this fairly early in the day (very busy holiday weekend here!) and it was cold! And windy! So I was bundled up like an Eskimo in my lululemon gear, but by golly I was quite comfy! I popped a quick disc about every 3 or 4 sets, and I had Gogol Bordello to keep me company. In the end, I still ran too fast, but I did much better than the last time. I noticed after the first four 800s my pattern of the 800s more or less went like this: the first 200 came in around 53/54 seconds, the next two 200s came in right around 60 seconds, and the final 200 came in 58/59 seconds. So honestly, not too poorly disciplined. And best of all, I felt good while running. :)

Splits were:

3:41, 3:46, 3:48, 3:50
    3:52, 3:54, 3:52, 3:52
    3:54, 3:53, 3:55, 3:53

Actual run: 10.3 miles in 1:30:53 for an average pace of 8:47 min/mile

Sunday, December 20th, 2015

Bike

I did this as a trainer option very early in the morning due to the holiday joy, Christmas spirit, fa-la-la-ing and ho-ho-ho-ing that is this weekend for me.

Trainer option:
    30 mins warm up

Cadence set - 24 min total:
    4 x [easy gear, start cadence at 75 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until you reach 120 rpms (5 mins) + 1 min rest]

3 x [5 mins standing biggest gear possible- surging the final 10 secs of each min + 2 mins easy]

1 x [easy gear, start cadence at 70 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until you reach 105rpms then hold 3.5 mins]

3 x 3 at 135W with 2 min easy
    10 min easy

The short and sweet of this session was that it was one big early morning sweat fest! I started out the warmup with one of my energy bars....I tried to do my best whirling dervish impression on the cadence sets.....I fiddled with the gearing on the single leg spinning and discovered my left leg may be stronger than my right leg (???)....I tried to grind it like a big girl on the standing big gear set....and I cussed a little on the 3 x 3 min at 135w because they were so bloody hard at that point in the session, in fact I honestly am not sure which was harder- the standing big gear set, or the 135w set!

Data for the big gear set:
    51 rpm...135w
    52 rpm...144w
    53 rpm...159w

Data for the 3 x 3 min @ 135w set:
    81 rpm...136w
    80 rpm...137w
    81 rpm...137w

Actual bike: 2 hours and 5 minutes on the Cat in the early morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Great training Dory. Your bike sessions have me curious though, how come your coach has you training to rpm rather than specific power zones or is it a combination of both??

joey100 wrote: »
    Great training Dory. Your bike sessions have me curious though, how come your coach has you training to rpm rather than specific power zones or is it a combination of both??

Hi Joey! To me it feels like my bike trainer sessions are a combination of both cadence and power. Look at yesterday's session, for instance - it had a good bit of cadence work (I imagine in part to fatigue me, and perhaps to try and make spinning at a higher cadence seem natural), but then the kicker at the end of the session when I was pooped was to hold 135w, which is 85% of my FTP - and honestly, that final set of 3 x 3 min @ 135w was probably the most important part of yesterday's session, and it was based on power. We'll see what my training in 2016 looks like as I will have a slight change starting January 1st - my coach will be the same, but she will now be working with Hillary Biscay.

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015

Swim/run combo

Swim...
    8 x 6 min in the tank as follows:
    #1 @ 1:33
    #2-4 @ 1:27
    #5-6 @ 1:24
    #7 @ 1:21
    #8 @ 1:33

There honestly is not too much to report about this after-work-evening-splash. It went fine. Probably the most significant thing remotely connected to this session is I need to add some water to the pool.

Run...
    With dripping wet hair and no contacts in to see, this was a 30 minute trot on the treadie at a setting of 6.6. The legs felt pretty heavy for the first 10 minutes, but after that they got a bit lighter.

Actual swim/run combo: 48 minutes in the tank and 30 minutes on the treadie with not too much to say about either

But, as a side note.....
    I went in to a salon yesterday to get some conditioner for my hair that I feel is damaged from all the swimming I do and all the chemicals I expose it to. After chatting with the hairdresser about my situation (swimming, highlighting, yada yada....), she recommended a product that I am to coat my hair with prior to getting in the pool to protect it from the brutality of the chlorine. But, the odd thing is she kept referring it to as "my lipstick"...she kept telling me to think of this product as "my lipstick." :confused: I honestly hadn't a clue what she meant by that, especially since I didn't have on any lipstick at the time (and I pretty much only wear lipgloss when I do have something on my lips)...and it still seems so funny over a day later that she would refer to it in that manner and with such enthusiasm and conviction. I suspect I just don't read the same magazines as she does....I'm guessing her magazines don't have ads for things like Chamois Butt'r or Hoo Ha Ride Glide. ;) Two different worlds....we come from two different worlds. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If this is your usual hairstylist, she probably puts on lipstick to go in the shower. I think she might be tickled by the idea of hoo ha ride glide too, though.

• Advertisement

Wednesday, December 23rd, 2015

Bike/run combo

(I think I'm going to be doing a lot of these combo sessions come 2016!)

Bike....

trainer:
    20 mins warm up
    Cadence set - 18 min total:
    3 x [easy gear, start cadence at 75 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until your reach 120 rpms (5 mins) + 1 min rest]

Iso Leg Drills - 9 min total:

Iso Leg Drills - 9 min total:

This was a shorter version of what I did Sunday morning, but it was still a toughie. I struggle with the cadence sets - once I get over 95 rpms it's chaos for my legs. And I'm shocked that I am consistently getting higher power readings for my left leg during the leg drills. (really??) But the BG set is where I tend to shine. It's a hard set, but I love it. I visualize the boys of the Tour du France and try to emulate their style and rhythm as they climb those crazy mountains. I know I need to embrace the spin, but I'm a masher at heart.

BG data, which was up from Sunday's session:
    52 rpm...143w
    53 rpm...155w
    55 rpm...168w

Run....

This was done immediately off the bike - 45 minutes easy was prescribed. I decided to divide the run into 3 x 15 minute segments, and I eased into this at a nice, calm 6.0 on the treadie. I was feeling pretty darned good after the first 15 minutes, so I upped it to 6.3....and then when Chris Cornell started crooning my new favorite song, Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart, at the 30 minute mark, I knew I had to up it again to 6.6. Things only got better when Queens of the Stone Age popped up 5 minutes later with their epic tune, I Sat by the Ocean, thus leaving only about 7 minutes of the run remaining and me feeling like I was on top of the world. Good god I love endorphins and good music! :)

Actual bike/run combo: 1 hour and 24 minutes on the Cat followed by 45 minutes on the treadmill

Advertisement