Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't know how similar the Garmin tech is but there's a huge storm erupting over Fitbit whose hr measurement tech is coming under serious scrutiny. Apparently it's reporting heart rates significantly lower than reality - e.g. low 80s for someone with hr in 160s. I read last week (med device industry newsletter) that the chest strap tech is seen as relatively accurate but whatever Fitbit use is really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Don't know how similar the Garmin tech is but there's a huge storm erupting over Fitbit whose hr measurement tech is coming under serious scrutiny. Apparently it's reporting heart rates significantly lower than reality - e.g. low 80s for someone with hr in 160s. I read last week (med device industry newsletter) that the chest strap tech is seen as relatively accurate but whatever Fitbit use is really not.

Hijack/
    Just from observation a lot seems to depend on how securely you can fasten the device. Light leakage seems to be a big issue. Opinions vary... but most of the guys I know (geek central here) cross checked again the strap before they went to the wrist bands - think it is a combination of Garmin and Polar watches from this sample. It's might be worth checking as most watches.devices are licensing technology from a small number of implementations afaik. My onlu experience was with apps on the iphone v garmin strap and I was surprised by how closely they matched.

Disclarimer: I have not got one myself - yet, and as ever read the reviews on a credible running site.
    /Hijack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ Interesting discussion boys!!! Love it! And an alternative to the strap might have to be considered! Thanks!

Sunday, January 11th, 2016

Run....on the track!! :eek:

15 minute warmup
    8 x (800 hard, 200 easy)
    10 minute cool down

Ugh. I had sort of been dreading this session for a few days because I was to do the 800s hard - no particular pace was specified, I was just told to go at the best pace I could hold for all 8. Best pace....hold....for all 8. wtf?? But my reward was the nugget of generosity in the form of being told that I should do the 200s super easy. Super...easy. yay!!

Due to some commitments early in the day, I wasn't able to get down to the track until the late afternoon...and by that point, the wind was whipping like mad. I wasn't thrilled with the blustery conditions I was about to place myself in, but I had no choice. I told myself to focus on effort and not so much on the timed splits since I knew the wind could be a volatile element in something that in a perfect world would be a static environment....and this line of thinking was reinforced when, during my warmup with the wind at my back, my pony tail was being pushed around and hitting me in my face. :eek: Yeah, you get the picture. That's not normal. And it's annoying, so I stopped and bundled my hair in a big knot to take that out of the equation.

The intervals themselves were gut wrenching. When I saw my time for the first one I thought I had gone too hard...and when I saw my time for the second one I knew I was going to blow up. But I kept telling myself to take the recovery s-l-o-w and e-a-s-y. I'd loosen up and shake myself out as I was trotting those 200 meters, and I'd breathe. I'm honestly of the mindset that the wind may have been an assist for me - yesyesyes it was pushing me back and sideways too, but I know it was also pushing me forward. And I also know that I was hugging the inside of the lane within an inch of it's life, so I was maximizing the lowest end of 800 meters. :D And I had on my fast shoes...and I had on a damn good looking running outfit (can you say lululemon? ;)), the vest (a fetching shade of purple) was a present from Santa. :) So with these things in mind, here are my splits...

800s hard:
    3:32, 3:28, 3:30, 3:32
    3:27, 3:26, 3:29, 3:30

200s super easy:
    1:18, 1:26, 1:12, 1:24
    1:34, 1:35, 1:39

I was hanging on by a thread for that last one, and I don't think I could have done one more 800 at that pace. I pushed it, and what you see is all I had in me.

Actual run: 7.35 miles in 1:02:42 for an average pace of 8:32 min/mile

~~~~~~~

Swim

10 minute warmup
    10 x (3 min @ 1:24, 30 sec rest)
    5 minute cool down

This was a late evening splash in the tank. Honestly there's not much to tell - what you see above is what I did!!

Actual swim: uh huh...what she said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ^^^ Interesting discussion boys!!! Love it! And an alternative to the strap might have to be considered! Thanks!

Final hijack - here's the link on Fitbit: http://www.qmed.com/mpmn/medtechpulse/lawsuit-accuses-fitbit-lying-about-heart-monitor-accuracy?cid=nl.x.qmed02.edt.aud.qmed.20160108

• Advertisement

Tuesday, January 12th, 2015

Gym

Looks like Tuesdays and Thursdays will be my "gym" work. Did this sneaky lunchtime style, and a little love was given to pretty much everything between my head and my big toe!!

Actual gym: 45 minutes over lunch

~~~~~~~

Swim/run combo

Swim...

10 minutes warmup
    8 x (4 min cruise buoy-band, 30 sec rest)
    5 minutes easy kick
    5 minutes cool down

I did the warmup at a nice 1:33, then upped it to a perfectly-paced-for-cruise-effort 1:27 for the buoy-band. I somehow missed the memo that the kick was supposed to be easy and ended up doing it at my usual stretch of a 1:57 pace. I can't even imagine how slow I'd have to have the wave current set at to achieve the easy with the kick!!! :eek:

Run...

Onto the treadmill I hopped with dripping wet hair, and off I trotted at a setting of 6.6 for the entire 60 minutes. This seemed super comfortable. In fact, I got more and more comfortable as the run went on to the point that the last 15 minutes seemed relatively effortless which then got me double checking the settings and wondering if perhaps the treadmill settings were broken and I was actually going much slower than I thought I was. :confused::eek:

Actual swim/run combo: 55 minutes of splashing in the tank followed by 60 minutes of dashing on the treadie

Wednesday, January 13th, 2016

Bike/run combo

Bike...

30 minute warmup with 5 minutes of single leg drills
    30 x
    (1 min strong, in my bars, with race cadence - goal here was to keep power at 150W for the first 20 and then let it rip after that....then 30 sec easy)
    15 minute cool down

I've been dreading this session since I saw it on Monday. :eek: 150w for 20 then "let it rip after that"??? wtf?? Thirty times. Ugh. Umm...so how did I do tonight?? I'm honestly not sure. Looking at the Garmin power graph doesn't give me the warm-fuzzies that I followed instructions correctly...but in real time sitting on my bike actually doing the session I didn't think I totally failed it either. One thing I need to change the next time around is how my power is displayed - right now it's average lap power. I think I need to change it to real time power.

Any way....no need for me to post my 60 second interval data since it is virtually meaningless. (Oh, and my Garmin stopped for a few minutes before I realized it (during my warmup) but I was working off my pool pace clock, so for all my Garmin Connect friends, I really did the entire 90 minutes!) Suffice it to say, this was a tough session. It took me a few intervals to finally formulate a strategy of trying to push 90 rpm for the first 20 seconds and then upping it to 95 rpm (or above) for the remaining 40 seconds while staying in the same gear. One thing that skews the power graph is that my initial push from the recovery interval always jacks up the power, then there is an immediate drop after that when I settle into the cadence. I'm hopeful I'll do a better job next time around. Good session though!!!

Run...

A streamlined and efficient t2 meant I was off and running on the treadmill in no time at all!! The setting was my go-to (and prescribed) 6.6, and this went well. I don't think I was quite as comfy as I was last night post-swim, but this wasn't bad at all, and it got better as the minutes ticked by - the body got more relaxed and in the groove. Maybe there is hope yet that I'll learn to run off the bike! :)

Actual bike/run combo: 90 minutes of chasing power on the Cat followed by 30 minutes of learning to run off the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What garmin are you using for the sessions dory? should be possible to set up an interval work out on it for 30 x 1 min on, 1 min recovery. That way it will record the intervals as a separate lap and give you a little count down to the start and end of each. Easier to judge your effort then. I usually just press the lap button at the end of each interval, helps when your looking back at it after. Average lap pace is useful to have on the screen but 3's power would probably be better for them intervals.

I have my garmin (garmin 500) set up with 3 second average power at the top and then average lap power down near the bottom, just to keep an eye on it. If your laps are set up for a longer distance or time, say 10km, if average lap power is what you are using it's not giving you a true value on your effort especially towards the end. So say the first 7km of your lap is downhill, it can be harder to keep the power where you want it so average power for the lap up until then will be low, then the next 3km you start to climb and your power will be higher, the tendancy then is to try and push the power to get it up to the lap power you are aiming for. This can mean your pushing out too high a power for the 3 mins and end up burning some matches. If your were just looking at lap power though it would match what you were aiming for but this doesn't tell the whole story. Average 3's power gives you immediate feedback on the power you are putting out, so you can try regulate the effort yourself. Not sure I've explained that well but hopefully you can get an idea! And I'm sure there are plenty out there who will explain it better than me!

On the bike I am using my Garmin Edge 510. I have no idea if I can program it for interval work as I've never tried. ??? But I will certainly look into this as it would make my life a lot easier instead of having to keep my eye on the clock and then manually press the lap button every 60/30 seconds. Gah. And average 3s.....I will try this!! Sounds like it's exactly what I am looking for for all the reasons you so eloquently explained! Thanks!! :)

Cool, no bother Dory. I'd still keep the average lap power on the screen but use it combined with the 3's power. Will give you some info on your power output in that lap but combined with the 3's power will give you a clearer picture.

• Advertisement

Thursday, January 14th, 2016

Gym

A bit of body work done over lunch with my new toy, TRX. (no negative comments please, as I've seen some of you poke fun it!) I honestly didn't get much done other than taking it out of its package, installing it, and busting a few moves on it. I have a lot to learn with this contraption!

Actual gym: 30 minutes or so of messing about

~~~~~~~

Run/swim combo

Run...

This was done on the dreadmill!!!!

3 mins @ 6.9
    2 mins @ 7.9
    3 mins @ 7.0
    2 mins @ 8.0
    3 mins @ 7.1
    2 mins @ 8.1
    3 mins @ 7.2
    2 mins @ 8.2
    3 mins @ 7.3
    2 mins @ 8.3
    3 mins @ 7.4
    2 mins @ 8.4
    3 mins @ 7.5
    2 mins @ 8.5
    3 mins @ 7.6
    2 mins @ 8.6
    3 mins @ 7.7
    2 mins @ 8.7
    3 mins @ 7.8
    2 mins @ 8.8
    3 mins @ 7.9
    2 mins @ 8.9
    3 mins @ 8.0
    2 mins @ 9.0

Whew! That (^) was a mouthful! And what a crazy tough session this was. I approached the 3 minute intervals as if they were my recoveries from the 2 minute intervals...and I wasn't too, too stressed until I reached the halfway point when all of a sudden all of those 3 minute "recoveries" were at a pace of 8 minutes or faster per mile! :eek: But by golly I got it done. Took a bit of mental HTFU, but I got it done.

Swim...

I did some light stretching before hopping in the pool, but then just did an easy 20 minutes broken down as 10 minutes swim @ 1:33 and 10 minutes buoy-band at 1:30. I was supposed to have done an additional 10 minutes, but my right shoulder started to give me a fit (chronic issue that I have learned to respect) so I hopped out to not aggravate it any further.

Actual run/swim combo: 60 crazy minutes on the treadie followed by 20 easy minutes in the tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

"TRX- HANDLES YOU'LL ACTUALLY LOVE"

"THERE ARE 7 DAYS IN A WEEK- SOMEDAY IS NOT ONE OF THEM"

"SWEAT IS MAGIC- COVER YOURSELF IN IT DAILY TO GRANT YOUR WISHES"

"THE HARDEST LIFT OF ALL IS LIFTING YOUR ASS OFF THE COUCH"

53226f499db02ca9bc5ce023f0c245d3.jpg

Best of luck furrowing the lonely path of starting TRX in January ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, that was some session on the treadmill DD, well done. Did you do a 6.0 warm up on it beforehand or straight into 6.9? Not easy either way. TRX are great, I've used them lots but only under the guidance/shouting of the trainer - I don't have the discipline to do a session using them under my own steam.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Wow, that was some session on the treadmill DD, well done. Did you do a 6.0 warm up on it beforehand or straight into 6.9? Not easy either way. TRX are great, I've used them lots but only under the guidance/shouting of the trainer - I don't have the discipline to do a session using them under my own steam.

It was straight onto the dreadie-treadie at the 6.9 setting. Definitely a beefy session starting at 8:42 and 7:35 for the first set of intervals and ending at 7:30 and 6:40 for the final set of intervals.....and a session that I am sure to be doing again very soon! :eek:

Friday, January 15th, 2015

Swim/run combo

Swim...

10 minute warmup
    3 x
    {4 x (30 sec sprint, 30 sec rest)
    6 min @ 1:24
    3 min @ 1:33}
    5 minute cool down

Oh how the tub was a rockin' and a rollin' tonight! Whoop whoop!!! I upped the sprints to 1:14 (from my usual 1:15) and I hung right with that turbulent current, no problem. In fact, on the last set of 4 I was tempted to up the pace to 1:13, but I decided I best not get too greedy. I'll save that conquest for another night. :D

Run...

After a quick change from my ratty Speedo into my running duds, this was all about the 6.6 setting...for 60 minutes. There is a significant boredom factor that is built into such a static session...so I find ways to occupy my mind....and these ways usually involve math. Tonight involved me constantly counting things on the television screen - mainly the members of the bands the music channel had displayed while playing their songs. I found that most bands have an odd number of members, with 5 being the most common number....which then led me to recall that I was taught you should always serve an odd number of food items on a plate as an odd number is visually more appealing than an even number. Mere coincidence...or not? ;)

Any way...the run went fine. The first half was a bit of a struggle, but at the halfway point I got in my groove and started to get comfortable....and the last 10 minutes of the run may have been the best. :)

Actual swim/run combo: 60 minutes in the tank followed by 60 minutes on the treadie

Saturday, January 16th, 2016

Bike

Today was cold and overcast with intermittent periods of blustery wind....I did this on my own with a few snacks to keep me perking along...I saw 2 deer...the rooster was out cockadoodledoo-ing his fool head off again...I launched a water bottle going over railroad tracks...my feet got cold...and the time passed relatively quickly. No complaints. This was done super easy, and I enjoyed the easy. The more I train per a plan, the more I allow myself to do the easy guilt free. I figure it's in some ways the reward for doing the hard hard. :)

Actual bike: 42.31 miles in 3 hours

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In jewellery retail display you group in fives as it creates an attractive symmetry. In boybands it makes for better choreography.

/random :)

Oryx wrote: »
    In jewellery retail display you group in fives as it creates an attractive symmetry. In boybands it makes for better choreography.

/random :)

That's pretty profound!

Sunday, January 17th, 2016

Run

This was to be 2 hours outside any way I wanted, so I thought I'd act on the bits of wisdom a few of you boardsies offered to me - namely, I thought it'd be fun to strap on that god forsaken heart rate thingy that I tend to cinch around my ribs like a tourniquet because I frequently have the sensation that it's slipping down to my waist. Of course this is the first time I've worn my 920xt heart rate strap (I've had the 920xt since September!) so I had to dig the strap out of the box (after I found the box!) and then had to adjust it to fit my rib cage. When I was sufficiently struggling to breathe, I figured I had it just right! ;) So out the door I went all strapped and bundled, and wondering why the watch wasn't picking up my heart rate. :confused: I hit the "connect" button, and it was searching and searching, but nothing. I hit it again, but nothing still. wtf??? Then it occurred to me....those little metal things in the front of the strap that looked like something might attach to them...well, something might attach to them!!!! Eureka! So back in the house I went in search of the yin to the strap's yang. And I found it!!! It wasn't easy snapping them together while still wearing the strap, but I did it...and like magic, the watch started blurting out my beats per minute. Success!

Snow had started to fall just prior to me getting out for this run so I had thrown on a few extra layers, including an extra pair of pants that are made to cut wind and snow - and they are fab!! And I have to say, it was pretty cool running in the field with snow coming down all around me - added a new dimension and felt like a change in scenery - sort of like a fresh coat of paint to freshen things up.

Regarding the run, I changed the format on my watch to only display heart rate and elapsed time - I wanted to take pace totally out of the equation, and I have to admit that I really enjoyed running by heart rate as it took a ton of pressure off of me. I targeted the range of 135-145 (because in the back of mind I thought that was the correct range to target based on the length and purpose of this run), and I stayed pretty damned Dory disciplined. <pats self on the back> I stopped briefly once at the start of mile 8 for some water and a gel as I could tell I was starting to fade a bit, so you'll notice a slight dip in the heart rate for that mile....but here's the data stated as "min/mile...average bpm":

10:16...132
    9:57...139
    10:13...142
    10:10...142
    10:16...144
    10:10...144
    10:06...145
    10:12...139
    10:20...143
    10:03...145
    10:14...145
    9:50...147

I consciously upped the effort on the last mile, thus the increase in heart rate and pace....but you can see that my overall pace was pretty slow, however I am not bothered by it in the least. :)

Actual run: 12.01 snowy miles in 2:01:50 for an average pace of 10:05 min/mile and an average heart rate of 142 bpm

~~~~~~~

Swim

10 minute warmup
    10 x (3 min @ 1:24, 30 sec rest)
    5 minute cool down

I did this late in the evening with the day's earlier run in the legs and body. Yep, I could feel the previous 2 hours of snowy field trotting in me, but I did okay in this swim, and I even threw in some breaststroke during my warmup and cool down at the lovely 1:33 pace to stretch out the inner thighs. Certainly no complaints here!!! :)

Actual swim: 50-ish minutes in the tank

Here's your girl Katie Ledecky doing her thing yesterday... I'm noting that BE2 ;)

• Advertisement

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Here's your girl Katie Ledecky doing her thing yesterday... I'm noting that BE2 ;)

Sounds silly, but I actually got a little emotional watching this - happy emotional. She's a complete phenom...maybe the most lethally talented thing in the water at the moment. And did you see her kick?? Looked like she started revving that up at the 400 mark, then built on it. You can't tell me she doesn't have a sub 8 in her sights. In fact, I'll lay money that she gets that sub 8 before her career is over!!!

Hell, she may even get that sub 8 at the Olympics this year!! Not kidding.

Edit: That might have been a bit ambitious ^^ - I think I got caught up in the wave of emotion. ;) Maybe a sub 8:05 for the Olympics is up for grabs!

A bit of catchup here while it's snowing its patootie off outside!!! :eek:

Tuesday, January 19th, 2016

Gym

This was my first full-fledged, complete TRX workout, and it was pretty rough. :eek: Push ups, flys, triceps, biceps, rows, calves, planks, crunches, sprinters starts, lunges, abs, abs, abs, abs, abs, and more abs. Did I mention I did some ab work?? :eek: But I loved it!!!

Actual gym: 45ish minutes of ab-solutely ab-ominable-icious ab torture...with some other stuff thrown in to distract me

~~~~~~~

Swim/run combo

Swim...

10 minute warmup
    8 x 4 minute buoy-band, cruise effort
    5 minute kick
    5 minute cool down

We're in a deep freeze here, but at 85 degrees Fahrenheit, the water was just fine! I did the warmup at 1:33, and then the buoy-band at a perfectly paced cruise 1:27. The kick is still a struggle for me - I don't know if it's just being in the tank with the current tending to push my legs down, or if my legs are no longer sea-legs (which would be a shame since it was my kick that always propelled me to the finish line). I kicked my heart out to a pace of 1:52, but I also cheated a little here by periodically holding onto the bar thingy that's attached to the wave maker as I just didn't have the heart to slow the pace down and feel like a total loser. :D

Run...

60 minutes dripping wet on the treadmill at a constant 6.6 setting on the tread-o-meter. Again, boredom is probably my biggest obstacle during a run like this, but I guess that's part of the training. No complaints here - it took about 20 minutes to find my groove, then it was all happy legs from that point on!

Actual swim/run combo: 60 minutes in the tank followed by 60 minutes on the treadie

Wednesday, January 20th, 2016

Bike/run combo

Bike...

This was the same set I did last week:

30 mins warm up, including 5 mins single-leg drills, alternating each 30 sec
    30 x
    {1 min strong, in my bars, with race cadence - goal here is to keep power at 150W for the first 20 and then let it rip after that,
    30 sec easy}
    15 mins easy

I took the advice of a wise boardsie (hi joey!) and set my Garmin to both average 3s and average lap power on the display to help keep me in the prescribed power range on the 1 minute intervals, but good god the average 3s was jumping all around and making my head spin that I quickly gave up on focusing on that number. !!!! Instead, I got a feel for what seemed to be the correct gear and held it at 90 rpm for the first 20 seconds then upped it to 95+ rpm for the final 40 seconds. Figured that satisfied the spirit of the session. This is a toughie!!!!

Run...

Straight off the bike and onto my revolving runway...and it took about 10 minutes to shake out the previous 90 minutes. I did this at my standard 6.6, and it felt fine. Fingers crossed I'm getting the hang of this post-bike run thing!

Actual bike/run combo: 90 minutes on the Black Cat, 1 minute at a time...followed by 30 minutes of treadmill trotting

Thursday, January 21st, 2016

Run

:eek: This was an early morning, rise and shine run. :eek: I hauled my fat @ss out of bed at 4:45am and put in 20 of the most uninspiring minutes in the history of Dorywood. I was creaky and half comatose, but I managed to put one Saucony clad foot in front of the other for the entire 624 seconds. 1.6 miles in the bag. Sizzling!!! <cough, cough> ;)

~~~~~~~

Run/swim combo

Run...

OOhhhhh.....myyyyy......this was a repeat of last week's crazy treadmill run!

3 mins @ 6.9
    2 mins @ 7.9
    3 mins @ 7.0
    2 mins @ 8.0
    3 mins @ 7.1
    2 mins @ 8.1
    3 mins @ 7.2
    2 mins @ 8.2
    3 mins @ 7.3
    2 mins @ 8.3
    3 mins @ 7.4
    2 mins @ 8.4
    3 mins @ 7.5
    2 mins @ 8.5
    3 mins @ 7.6
    2 mins @ 8.6
    3 mins @ 7.7
    2 mins @ 8.7
    3 mins @ 7.8
    2 mins @ 8.8
    3 mins @ 7.9
    2 mins @ 8.9
    3 mins @ 8.0
    2 mins @ 9.0

:D

:D:D:D

I totally owned this session.

:D

Totally. All mine. This session was my b*tch. I approached it with a great attitude and cheated the effort with my mind and body. This was epic in my history of treadmill sessions. I may never have such success with this session ever again, but tonight it was mine. :D

Swim...

10 minute swim
    10 minute buoy
    10 minute buoy-band

I did this super easy - 1:33 swim, and 1:30 for the buoy and buoy-band. No fuss no muss!

Actual run/swim combo: 60 minutes owning the treadmill followed by 30 minutes easing into the tank

^^^ Love that video! And trust me, I could've done some snow swimming today! We've over 2 feet here! EEK!!!!

Which brings me to a bit of a rant. Apologies in advance. So, ever since boards had that attack that prevented access to this site, I now have to go thru some security hoop to get in. Understandable, and that really is not my rant. What is my rant is I now no longer can see/use any of the icons for anything (including bold, underline, etc), my display is different (looks broken), and I no longer am receiving notices when someone has posted in a thread I am following. ???? I use an iPad, so I have no idea if it has something to do with that. On my phone, I also have to go thru the security thingy, but the icons and display are normal. Does anyone have any ideas? And is this temporary or is this what I am stuck with? I may have to go on strike until this is resolved - I mean, if I can't use my smiley face, then what's the point!!!?????!!!!! (wink, wink)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your wink lives; use your semicolon bracket keys! ; ) ;) All the emojis can be entered manually like that, think if you quote a post containing them via phone they show in that format. I can't think of another way to view their codes.

The site is still stuggling but there is a dedicated thread in feedback where you should mention your issues. Cant link... on phone. I was totally locked out on my pc till yesterday and only had phone access. Its a mess.

Don't worry too much about the 3 second power jumping around Dory, you will get better at controlling it the more you notice it on screen. Took me a while to try and get consistent power out without having huge spikes, I'm still working on it. Shows you how much the power jumps around normally and how, even though you think your being smooth with the power, we are not really. Remember as well that it's a 3 second average, so by the time you see it on the screen it's an average of the 3 seconds just past, so any alterations to it don't have to be huge and sudden, it will take a second or two for the figure you are putting out right at that time to actually show on screen. Stick with it though and you will get better at it!

• Advertisement

Okay, so just pretend you can see the bold, the underlined, and the italicized. But watch out folks, I'm busting out the CAPS!!

FRIDAY, JANUARY 22nd, 2016

GYM

I snuck out for lunch a wee bit early to get this in before the snow started falling and there was mutiny at the clinic. However, as I was pulling up to my house, the first few snowflakes started drifting down in a gentle swirling motion from the sky...and not 5 minutes later did I receive my first text from one of my employees. Really?? You'd think the world was coming to an end! But, I got this in in its entirety, and it went smoother than the last time because I am getting more familiar with the exercises. This was all TRX, and for those who poo-poo the TRX, you either aren't doing it right or you don't know what you're missing!! Triceps, biceps, deltoids, abs, abs, abs, hamstrings, calves, abs, abs, abs, lunges, sprints, squats, rows, and abs, abs, abs!!!

ACTUAL GYM: ~40 MINUTES OF TRX WORK WHILE MY EMPLOYEES WERE FREAKING OUT ABOUT THE SNOW!

~~~~~~~~

SWIM/RUN COMBO:

SWIM...

Work this afternoon was pretty dead due to the falling snow, but we only got out about 30 minutes earlier than normal due to obligations with the animals in the hospital.

10 minute warmup
    3 x
    {4 x (30 second sprint, 30 second rest)
    6 min @ 1:24
    3 min @ 1:33}
    5 minute cool down

I did the sprints at the 1:14 setting, and at times this was a stretch. It definitely seemed harder than last Friday's 1:14, but I held on and got it done. You peeps may not realize it by looking at the session, but the hardest part of this session is the 6 min @ 1:24, that is actually the heart of this workout...and typically it is the part I dread and don't enjoy the most. And to add insult to injury this evening, my goggles fogged up and I couldn't see a blasted thing for most of the 6 minute sets. Whatever....I got it done, and that's all that mattered!

RUN...

After a perfect aquatic mount onto my treadmill, away I went for 60 minutes at my go-to setting of 6.6. Not much to report other than my mantra for this trot was, "this will make me stronger!"

ACTUAL SWIM/RUN COMBO: 60 FOGGY MINUTES IN THE TUB...60 MAKING-ME-STRONGER MINUTES ON THE TREADIE

Advertisement