Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I haven't even read zico's Kona qualifying race report yet - but.....CONGRATULATIONS ZICO!!! :D I'll be happily gathering my sports drinks and energy gels to get thru his very informative, inspiring, honest and well written report! ;)

That's assuming a lot. :)
    Great to see you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yay. Came here to see were you after taking up basket weaving or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Delighted to see that you're back training Dory and hopefully taking it easy. .... and you're entitled to have a funk after the year you've had. Hope the enjoyment of training is coming back into it for you :)

We'v missed you around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

zico10 wrote: »
    That's assuming a lot. :)
    Great to see you back.

Nah, I'm not assuming anything. I know the quality of the man behind the report. ;)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Yay. Came here to see were you after taking up basket weaving or what.

No basket weaving, but I've been making the hell out of some boozy cupcakes. Seriously, I've got a few incredible recipes.....
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Delighted to see that you're back training Dory and hopefully taking it easy. .... and you're entitled to have a funk after the year you've had. Hope the enjoyment of training is coming back into it for you :)

We'v missed you around these parts.

The enjoyment is coming back. Honestly, I was in desperate need of a stepback/change in training. Briefly thought about chucking it all...and who knows, maybe my knee will still be my demise...but for now I am thankful my guiding light altered the approach for me for the next few months. Yay!!!!

Tuesday, October 18th, 2016
    Wednesday, October 19th, 2016

Bike

I was supposed to do this bike session on Tuesday, but due to a dinner party I had to attend that evening (and got home way later than I anticipated), I made the executive decision to get up early this morning (Wednesday morning) (4 o'clock :eek:) to get this done!

Description:
    TRAINER big BIG GEAR
    20 min warm up
    10 min single-leg drills
    5x
    (3 min big gear+ 1 min easy spin+ 2 min one gear harder+1 min easy spin+ 1 min add one gear--this should be biggest possible gear, such that it is very difficult to turn over 45-50 cadence+ 3 min easy spin)
    10 min easy spin

This was the first time back on the Black Cat since the near fatal trainer accident (to the Black Cat, not me), and I was a little nervous to be honest. Would I stay upright? Or would I topple over onto the concrete and bust my noggin on the wheel barrow? (I was in the garage!) So, because of my nervousness, I considered every wobble of the bike as a possible threat to my newly found homeostasis ;) and hopped off several times during the warmup to inspect/adjust/make-myself-feel-better. Seriously kids, respect the wobble while on the trainer!

And what started out as a session with some concerns turned out to be a pretty darned good first session back on the Black Cat with power. POWER! And truth be told, I'm happy with the power I put down. I haven't had any power to keep me honest for a good 4 months, but I think this tells me my perception of work wasn't too far off. This is a good start for me.

Data per Garmin for the 3min, 2 min, 1 min stated as "average cadence...average power":

Whoop!!!!! :D

Actual bike: 90 minutes going nowhere but loving being back in the saddle on the Black Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

As a mere runner I haven't got an earthly what this all means - but glad to see you back.

Wednesday, October 19th, 2016

TRX and Run

I did the TRX outside on this gorgeous fall evening, and I am now able to do all the moves. Yay! My knee is still not perfect, but I am to the point that I can gently do my lunges, squats and sprinters starts. The one really good thing about the TRX is you can totally control the resistance, and you can totally incorporate assistance to moves when you need to.

I hopped into the tub fresh off the TRX and did a 30 minute trot at a wave pace of 2:07. I probably could have upped the wave a smidge, but I decided not to push it - things are going too well at the moment. !!!

Actual TRX and Run: 30 minutes of strappy resistance and strength work, followed by 30 minutes of tub trotting

I'm sure you're not going to take any risks, but what is your coach's opinion of those TRX sessions? I only ask because in previous years, TRX classes and kettle bells were occasional parts of my S & C training. I always found the sessions tough and was left with DOMS after most of the classes. Granted I probably didn't do enough of them to get my body truly ready for the exercises. This year, I paid for the help of a coach who works with Irish Olympians. The work he gave me was far less intense than anything I had done before; so easy I would have had no problem doing it as a warm up to any hard swim, bike or run, without it affecting how I'd perform in those sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Fwiw I used to do a fair amount of S + C classes (kettlebells, aerobics, pilates) and the last three months I have given them all up. I have found I am running much better, no DOMS as mentioned by Zico. When it comes to key run sessions I am putting in a better effort. I do my own weights session at home which is 15m, three times per week, light weights, lots of reps and core work. The only thing I miss about the classes is the social aspect!!!

The TRX sessions I do are easy, and I have no issue doing them before a swim or a tub run. Of course, the intensity is up to the individual, but I keep things to a reasonable level, waking up the muscles and engaging them while focusing on controlled strength. I think at this point in my life strength work is very important, and I enjoy doing something different a few nights a week from swimming/biking/running. I've also added a night of yoga, and I'm enjoying that as well. Here's what I did last night to give you an idea:

Description:
    TRX:
    high rows & squats: 3x 30 sec each, alternating exercises.
    8 TRX push-ups.
    deltoid flys & double-arm high bicep curl: 4x 20 sec each, alternating exercises.
    hamstring curl 4x 20 sec with 20 sec rest.
    6 TRX push-ups.
    30 sec TRX plank+ 30 sec rest.
    30 sec R side plank+30 sec rest.
    30 sec L side plank.+30 sec rest.
    Single-leg TRX lunge: 2x 20 sec R leg with 20 sec rest. 2x20 sec L leg with 20 sec rest.
    20 sec TRX crunch+ 20 sec rest.
    20 sec TRX side crunches, alternating+ 20 sec rest.
    6 TRX push ups.
    calf raises & standing roll-outs: 3x20 sec each, alternating exercises.
    overhead tricep press & sprinter's starts 3x 30 sec each, alternating exercises.
    4 TRX push ups.
    3x 20 sec TRX plank + 20 sec rest.
    2 TRX push ups and done!

• Advertisement

Thursday, October 20th, 2016

Bike

Description:
    trainer:
    15 mins warm up
    Cadence set - 18 min total:
    3 x [easy gear, start cadence at 75 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until your reach 120 rpms (5 mins) + 1 min rest]

Iso Leg Drills - 9 min total:
    1 min each leg 60 rpm - hard gear. 1 min easy
    1 min each leg 80 rpm - easy gear. 1 min easy

Standing big gear set -21 min total:
    3 x [5 mins standing biggest gear possible- surging the final 10 secs of each min + 2 mins easy]

Iso Leg Drills - 9 min total:
    1 min each leg 80 rpm - easy gear. 1 min easy

Cadence set - 7 min total:
    1 x [easy gear, start cadence at 70 rpms, increase 5 rpms every 30 seconds until you reach 105rpms then hold 3.5 mins]

easy til 85 min

Holy moly it was a warm evening out there! Gah. I could have used a breeze or something - this was a total sweatfest. But, this went well....and I think there is no doubt having power makes me work harder than not having power. I think I work hard without power, but I think I work harder with power. !!! And speaking of power, the data for the 3 x 5 minute big gear work is as follows (my legs were done, done, done by the time this set was over!):

50 rpm...150w
    51 rpm...162w
    53 rpm...177w

Actual bike: 85 shaky leg minutes on the Black Cat

Thanks for reply, but you haven't actually answered my question.:)
    what is your coach's opinion of those TRX sessions?

Thanks for reply, but you haven't actually answered my question.:)

Apologies. I assumed it was clear that she is the one who is providing me with these sessions, tucked in at specific times during the week. So, these are her idea for me. If you want me to ask her the "whys" of these sessions, let me know and I'd be more than happy to get a little more info and insight for you.

Apologies. I assumed it was clear that she is the one who is providing me with these sessions, tucked in at specific times during the week. So, these are her idea for me. If you want me to ask her the "whys" of these sessions, let me know and I'd be more than happy to get a little more info and insight for you.

P.S. I see how it's not clear, though. :o

I'm guessing the whys would be a pretty obvious answer. You could ask your coach if you want, but you don't have to.

I only asked the original question, because the work I got from my S & C coach was hugely different than the TRX classes I've been to, which are pretty much non stop and as much a cradio workout as stregth training. The program I followed was essentially a progression of 7 different exercises, of 3/4 sets, of 6/12 reps over the space of 6-8 weeks. There was lots of rest and I would never have been breathing hard.

I'm guessing the whys would be a pretty obvious answer. You could ask your coach if you want, but you don't have to.

I only asked the original question, because the work I got from my S & C coach was hugely different than the TRX classes I've been to, which are pretty much non stop and as much a cradio workout as stregth training. The program I followed was essentially a progression of 7 different exercises, of 3/4 sets, of 6/12 reps over the space of 6-8 weeks. There was lots of rest and I would never have been breathing hard.

Sounds like your S & C coach's suggested work is along the same vein as what I am doing. Mine is definitely not a cardio workout. It's focus is on strenth....and there are breaks between the different excercises.

Friday, October 21st, 2016

TRX and Swim

This was a no-fuss 30ish minutes of TRX action outside in the cool air followed by 30 minutes of buoy-band work in the fish tank at a wave pace of 1:30. No complaints!

Saturday, October 22nd, 2016

Bike

2 hours outside or

trainer:
    30 mins warm up with 5 mins single-leg drills , alternating 30 sec each leg.
    10x (20 sec @ 100+ cadence (low resistance) +40 sec easy)
    3x
    90 sec HARD+90 sec easy+ 60 sec HARD+ 60 sec easy+30 sec HARD+30 sec easy

12 mins easy
    20 mins in your bars @IM effort
    10 mins easy c/d
    100mins total

It was frickin' windy out there today!! It was "I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" windy out there today!!!! :eek: So, I opted to do the indoor trainer session instead. (Sorry zico. I feel like such a wuss after reading how you sucked it up on the road no matter the conditions. :o) But I worked it like a dog and this went fine. The data for the 3 x 90/60/30 HARD stated as "avg cadence...avg power" is as follows:

I felt slightly nauseated by the last set. I'm also getting over a very nasty cold - spent most of the day in bed, to be honest...but felt good enough to get this done in the evening. My legs were a little unsure of how the 20 minutes at IM effort would go...and my goal was to keep the 20 minutes as steady and even as possible. It went better than expected, and the numbers are higher than what I would actually target for an IM, but I was strong throughout and ended on an up note.

93 rpm...141W

No complaints from me. This was a good session!

Actual bike: 100 minutes on the Black Cat in the garage

Sunday, October 23rd, 2016

Run...yoga

Today was a jumbled up mess of a day (think: kitchen dusted in confectioners sugar and orange, purple and green icing everywhere!!!! :eek:) So instead of doing a run then my yoga, I did yoga (because I was afraid I wouldn't get this done and I had a window to do it after icing the cupcakes but before heading into work) then a run, then yoga again (because I ended up leaving work early to get the run started before darkness fell on DoryLand).

The yoga - the first one was my "Injury Prevention" video....and the second one was my "Post-Run Yoga" video because it was, well, immediately after my run.

And speaking of my run....:D
    This actually went okay. Not fantastic nor stellar nor inspiring nor even pretty...but it was a very solid "okay". I was slow, and it wasn't not ugly, but it wasn't as ugly as these runs have been, so I'll take that as a sign of progress. I also appeared to be a wee bit faster tonight than in previous weeks (I know this not because of wearing a Garmin, because I don't, and I won't wear one until I decide knowing my pace won't depress the living crap out of me...but rather I know this because of where I was in the Foo Fighters cd when I finished lap 9)...and because I was faster, and because I was feeling pretty darned okay, and because it was such a frickin' gorgeous evening, I decided to be bold and tack on an extra lap to this run. Yay!! (And before anyone gasps, this was to be an hour of running, so adding a lap under these circumstances is allowed.) This was the farthest I have run since last spring. Whoop!!! Progress for sure. But it's so funny the things I've been thinking about on these ugly runs of mine - totally different thoughts than what I used to think about pre-surgeries. Mainly, the new found respect I have for people who do things that don't come easy to them. Running has not been easy for me these last few months - it's been a downright physical, mental and emotional struggle for me in truth. So huge props to those who persevere when it does not come easy. :)

Actual Run...yoga: 20ish minutes yoga, 60ish minutes run (~6.67 miles), 20ish minutes yoga

Tuesday, October 25th, 2016

Bike

30 mins w/u with 5 mins single leg drills.
    10x 20 sec 110+ cadence (seated)/ 40 sec easy
    10x
    1 min big gear, in your bars @ 55-60 cadence
    1 min easy spin
    1 min easy gear, high cadence, in your bars @ 90-95 cadence
    1 min easy spin

10 easy cool down

I did this on a super gorgeous fall evening in the garage with the doors up! It was a little brisk at the start, but I quickly shed the sweatshirt I was wearing before my warmup was over. Not too much to say here except I felt this went well, even if I was hanging on for dear life in the final seconds of many of the intervals. For the high cadence work in particular, there was a bit of jostling about the gears to find the right revolution and the appropriate effort. The BG was easier to find and be consistent - I kept it one up from the hardest gear. Data as follows, stated as "BG avg cadence...avg power / High Cadence avg cadence...avg power":

Goofed and did not get data! / 87...176
    61...177 / 90...185
    59...193 / 89...193
    59...204 / 88...220
    62...216 / 92...205

61...220 / 91...208
    61...221 / 89...204
    61...226 / 94...211
    61...223 / 91...221
    60...234 / 92...219

Legs properly pooped now!!!

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Black Cat with the garage doors up!!

• Advertisement

Wednesday, October 26th, 2016

Run

This was a rise and shine, 5 o'freaking clock in the morning kinda thing in the fish tank. Because I had to start the task of making 48 cupcakes tonight for a fundraiser on Friday for an animal shelter we support in our area (great group of people, and such a worthy cause), that meant I would not have time for the tub trot this evening, thus the bleary eyed aqua slog. The truth is, however, this went well. I had the tunes blaring and the wave pace set to 2:07. Seems such a long time ago that I did this, and my eyes are now telling me it's time to catch up on some sleep!!!

Thursday, October 27th, 2016

Bike

30 mins warm up, including 5 min single-leg drills, alternating 30 sec each leg.
    30x 1 min strong with race cadence, in your bars.
    ***note that these are NOT all-out, just strong. pace yourself and build in sets of 10.
    30 sec easy spin
    15 mins easy
    1:30 total

Tonight I will be up to my elbows in orange and black buttercream frosting (it's a Halloween themed thing!)...so I squeezed this in over lunch. No complaints from me...and I built the effort by upping the gear by one after each 10 intervals. Seemed to work pretty well. Of course cadence slipped just a wee bit each time I upped the gear, but the power still increased based on what I saw on my Garmin. :)

Actual bike: 90 minute sneaky lunchtime minutes on the Black Cat on a dark and damp day!

P.S. My cadence ranged on average for the minute intervals between 92 and 98. Power....I'd say it started out around 120something, and then topped out around 200something.

Friday, October 28th, 2016

TRX....Swim

I did the TRX outside in the chilly evening air. It was just so gorgeous out there this evening that I couldn't resist...so I tossed on a sweatshirt to help keep me warm. All went well with this one!! And the tunes were a Green Day mashup.

The swim was done immediately after the TRX, and it was all done at a wave pace of 1:30 for 30 minutes. My goggles were leaking a bit, and they were fogging up alot. I'm thinking I may have to give them the last rites. But, the swim went well. :)

Saturday, October 29th, 2016

Bike

2 hours outside or the following,

20 mins warm up, including 4mins single-leg drills alternating 30 sec each leg.
    5x 9 mins cadence pyramid with increasing effort each 9 mins. start solid on the first one though!
    cadence pyramid as follows by minute: 50, 65, 75, 85, 95, 85, 75, 65, 50
    2 mins easy in between each
    15 mins easy
    1.5 hour total!

I opted to do the trainer - only because I have apparently pulled an intercostal muscle from coughing so much with the cold I'm am nearly over and I didn't want to be on the road with this. (I can't believe I've pulled a muscle from coughing!!) And it's a real pity that I didn't get out for a ride as it was a fantastic day out there! But, my traininer was essentially outside, so I enjoyed the fresh air none the less.

I find doing this cadence pyramid tough. I find that my power goes down as the cadence goes up - so my power chart always looks like an upside down pyramid. Maybe this is typical, or maybe I need to work on my higher cadence.....or maybe I just need to accept that I am more powerful as a masher, which is always my happy place within my comfort zone.

Data for the 5 x 9 minute sets stated as avg cadence...avg power is as follows:

The kitchen sink was tossed on that last set! I. Was. Done. :)

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Black Cat wishing I were on the road

Sunday, October 30th, 2016

Run and yoga

This was a very s-l-o-w and tough 6 mile slog in the field. Slow because that's just where I am....and tough because it was a bit of a struggle (because it is frustrating to be so slow with the effort I am expending, and because it feels like I am running (using that word loosely) through mud) that took some mental tricks to keep me from stopping and dissolving into a puddle. I'm going to give myself a pass on today since it was a hot day (and of course I did this at the peak of the heat) and I am coming off a bad cold that has left me with a strained intercostal from coughing so much. I've promised myself to keep plugging forward, so forward I plug. !!!!

As soon as that ugly slog was finished, I unrolled the yoga mat and did my Post Run Yoga....and it felt so good. Well, it felt so good other than when my strained muscles reminded me they were strained....and of course I have to mind my knee. But other than those minor (cough, cough) details, this really did feel good. And I did this outside in the sun!! :)

Tuesday, November 1st, 2016

Run

I am starting to get my mojo back and I'm having a better outlook on things, so I am adding some short little tub trots into my week. My request. And I'm happy. Easing back into things...testing the waters....slowly. <exhale>

This was a sneaky lunchtime 30 minute run at a wave pace of 2:02. And it was perfect. The first 10 minutes seems a wee bit tough, but once I found my groove, I settled into a nice rhythm. Yay. :)

Bike

trainer:
    30 mins w/u with 5 mins single leg drills.
    10x 20 sec 110+ cadence (seated)/ 40 sec easy
    10x
    1 min big gear, in your bars @ 55-60 cadence
    1 min easy spin
    1 min easy gear, high cadence, in your bars @ 90-95 cadence
    1 min easy spin

10 easy cool down

This was done after work with the garage doors open. Gorgeous sky tonight. And I was lost in my music while sweating like a pig for this one. Gah. Tough. I did this same session last week, and I'd say the results were similar, if not slightly better. Data for the 1 minute intervals stated as "BG avg cadence...avg power / High Cadence avg cadence...avg power" is as follows:

64...198 / 85...215
    65...206 / 95...207
    67...217 / 95...213
    63...212 / 97...207
    61...224 / 96...211

61...213 / 96...209
    62...225 / 96...210
    61...223 / 96...212
    61...232 / 90...224
    63...237 / 91...232

I upped the gear by one on the last two high cadence reps. I was toast by the time this was over!!! :eek:

Actual bike: 90 minutes on the Black Cat working it like a big girl

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016

TRX and Run

Another gorgeous evening here in the land of Dory, and my 30ish minutes of strappy strength work was done under a beautiful starry sky. Luvin' this stuff!

I hopped in the the fish tank immediately after the TRX and did 45 minutes of tub trotting. The first 30 minutes were done at a wave pace of 2:02, and the final 15 minutes were at a wave pace of 1:57. I found myself being pushed back some on those final 15 minutes, but I kept my cool and clawed my way back slowly. Seems I do everything slowly these days!!! But the most important thing is I am enjoying my training. Kids, never be afraid of stepping things back to find the love again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Seems I do everything slowly these days!!! But the most important thing is I am enjoying my training. Kids, never be afraid of stepping things back to find the love again. :)

Love this, its hard to accept the lower intensity and slower paces but this is so true :)

How's your neck? Are you having any trouble with it now?

Love this, its hard to accept the lower intensity and slower paces but this is so true :)

Ya know.....this step back has been fantastic. After all the crap I've been thru over the last few years (injured pelvis (stress fracture?), fractured femur, cervical spine surgery, arthroscopy on the knee), and my unwillingness to slowdown due to my stubbornness not to give in (nor give up), this bit of a breather has allowed me the space I've needed to get my head and body screwed back on in a healthy way. My plan is to keep things light and fluffy (translation: lower and slower) until January 1st, at which time I should have a fair idea what my body will allow me to do (translation: will running be my limiter and/or deal breaker?) and then I'll make some decisions about how I want to proceed in 2017. My hope is a HIM focus, so fingers crossed my body plays ball. !!!!
    How's your neck? Are you having any trouble with it now?

My neck is pretty good! I started experiencing some crepitation with certain movements (a new development since surgery - had it before surgery, however after surgery it was gone, now back again to some degree), but the surgeon's office told me this was normal due to scar tissue that is developing. I'm having no pain, but I'll watch this carefully. :)

• Advertisement

Thursday, November 3rd, 2016

Run

30 minutes of sneaky lunchtime tub trotting in the fish tank at a wave pace of 2:02. Whoop!!!

Bike

30 mins warm up, including 5 min single-leg drills, alternating 30 sec each leg.
    30x 1 min strong with race cadence, in your bars.
    ***note that these are NOT all-out, just strong. pace yourself and build in sets of 10.
    30 sec easy spin
    15 mins easy
    1:30 total

I did this immediately after work on yet ANOTHER fantastic evening here. OMG, pinch me! Garage doors wide open, and this went well. I picked a manageable gear to start with, then upped it by one after each 10 x 1 minute intervals. Garmin data is not really meaningful other than the power graph shows a progressive increase in power, which was the point. Power appeared to range from 140ish in the first set of 10 and increased to 200ish in the final set of 10. And cadence seemed to average 92-92 at the start and decreased to 88-90 by the end at the higher (is that correct terminology??) gearing. Good session!! :)

Advertisement