Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

With a net loss elevation in Boston, I certainly hope Krusty has perfected this technique. I'd hate to hear about one Irish Clown who tumbled to the finish. :)

2 Hour Zen Treadie Session

I had planned on running in the field this evening, and had actually planned on running all about the field this evening (will explain another night), but after getting dressed for outdoor running and stepping outside into the wind and cold, I decided that I would pamper myself with a comfortable easy trot on the treadie instead. Hey, it's the least I can do for this post-marathon body.

iPod on and cranking the Foo Fighter's Skin and Bones cd....tv tuned to Stanley Cup hockey.....treadmill set to an easy 10 min/mile pace....and away I went. For two hours. And 12 miles. The first 30 minutes felt very weird - almost an out-of-body like feeling, but then things resumed to near normal after that. I just plodded at an easy and steady pace, and got into a zone. The mind went all over the place....from wondering if I should have gone 10 seconds faster per mile for the first half of the marathon since I was not pushing it and felt good.....to wondering if there is a good book to read about marathon running that may help me with my next marathon (anyone?)....to realizing that I've never really played an honest to goodness team sport competitively - always competed individually (closest to a team sport would be the various relays I was on when swimming) and, as I watch these hockey players interact with each other and share in the joy and strife, I think a team sport would be great fun.

I may sign up for the Rock and Roll Marathon in Virginia Beach in September. It's flat, probably windy, but flat. Just want to get that time down. Oh, and I've got a little 5k that I totally forgot about next weekend. I'm so not into doing it...we'll see how I feel next week. Hate not having a solid focus, but I will give myself a few more days, then some decisions need to be made. And if I'm going to get serious about some tris, then I need to make that my focus and get a plan of attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi DD, you are currently in that post marathon period, where it would be very easy to injure yourself by doing too much. So what does too much look like? Basically two hours on a treadmill. Or running a 5k next week.
    The danger of being slightly unsatisfied with your target (though you have no reason to be) is that you want to jump straight back into it, as hard as you can. The reality is that any hard running at this stage is going to be counter productive and will not have the desired effect. In fact, it puts all of your other goals at risk. I would advise you to find a post marathon recovery plan and follow it.

Speaking of plans, I reckon you would be well suited to a Pfitzinger and Douglas Advanced Marathoning plan. It would certainly be a useful resource for you, and contains some of the aforementioned recovery plans etc, so well worth picking up.

In the meantime, cycling and swimming are great ways to speed up your post marathon recovery. Just try and stay away from long or hard run sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hi DD, you are currently in that post marathon period, where it would be very easy to injure yourself by doing too much. So what does too much look like? Basically two hours on a treadmill. Or running a 5k next week.
    The danger of being slightly unsatisfied with your target (though you have no reason to be) is that you want to jump straight back into it, as hard as you can. The reality is that any hard running at this stage is going to be counter productive and will not have the desired effect. In fact, it puts all of your other goals at risk. I would advise you to find a post marathon recovery plan and follow it.

Speaking of plans, I reckon you would be well suited to a Pfitzinger and Douglas Advanced Marathoning plan. It would certainly be a useful resource for you, and contains some of the aforementioned recovery plans etc, so well worth picking up.

In the meantime, cycling and swimming are great ways to speed up your post marathon recovery. Just try and stay away from long or hard run sessions.

+1 on the above. Very sound advice. The P&D book is a great resource and covers all stages of marathon training. In the meantime there are also some good post marathon plans to be found on Runnersworld, definitely no 2 hour treadmill sessions to be found.
    You're very lucky that swimming and cycling are such a part of your life, now is the time to enjoy them even more.

PS, need I remind you, you won? No need for "what ifs?". (although we all do it:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Krusty & Martha have said it alot more diplomatically than I would have put it...I would have said "are you flaming nuts doing a 2 hr session 4 odd days after your marathon debut :rolleyes:"... :D:D

Heed the wise sages and put a sound recovery plan in place. Oh and give yourself a break, you did great. Stop being a typical woman and over-analysing everything :p...btw that's very much "do as I say and not as I do" statement

• Advertisement

Gosh, and I thought going a 10 min/mile pace was considered easy.....but I guess what you are telling me is that length of time matters too. Got it. Thanks for keeping me straight....and for the advice. You folks are valuable beyond belief, especially since this is all new territory for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's an example of a post-marathon recovery program: HalHigdon. Note: You are in week Zero.

Having said that, we're all the same, and we're all going to push the boundaries. After my third marathon (where I took it easy and paced a buddy) I did some intervals a few days later, and ended up with a limp for the next four months (and no running as a consequence). It's just a shock that I'm not a better swimmer at this stage with all the down time. :)

Trainer

Resistance has been upped since the marathon, so it was a bit of a low volume grind session. I could have pushed more, but I settled for what I gave, happy to defer the suffer-fest sessions for later dates.

20 miles in approximately 1 hour 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

drquirky wrote: »

We've got your boys right where we want them. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

shazkea wrote: »
    Krusty & Martha have said it alot more diplomatically than I would have put it...I would have said "are you flaming nuts doing a 2 hr session 4 odd days after your marathon debut :rolleyes:"... :D:D

+1 feic the diplomacy.. chill out girl and bask in the DOMS of your debut 26.2!! :D 2 hour treadie is just plain nuts anytime let alone post marathon.... :cool:

Edit: don't worry this is just a boards peer thing. Sure I was a nOob around here after doing my first Marathon and got told off for doing an interval session within 3 days.. I think it was an Abhainn + Krusty Clown tag team combo that sussed me out!

+1 feic the diplomacy.. chill out girl and bask in the DOMS of your debut 26.2!! :D 2 hour treadie is just plain nuts anytime let alone post marathon.... :cool:

Edit: don't worry this is just a boards peer thing. Sure I was a nOob around here after doing my first Marathon and got told off for doing an interval session within 3 days.. I think it was an Abhainn + Krusty Clown tag team combo that sussed me out!

No worries. I'm just chuckling at how we've gone from Krusty's warm and friendly "Hi DD" to your tongue-in-cheek "feic the diplomacy". We all bring different things to the table. ;);)

Heck, I appreciate having folks chime in here - good or bad. At least it means someone is reading my log and caring about my well being, so keep it coming whenever necessary. And I did chill out last night, eventhough I've got that damn green SBR 1000k running mileage in sight, but with you folks keeping me on the straight and narrow, kentuckypete will beat me to that mark. :mad: Oh well....letting it go....

But, um, what does DOMS stand for? (delayed onset muscle soreness? is that what I'm supposed to be basking in?) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I've got that damn green SBR 1000k running mileage in sight, but with you folks keeping me on the straight and narrow, kentuckypete will beat me to that mark. :mad: Oh well....letting it go...

The one downside to the SBR is if you let it rule your training load and doing volume for the sake of it. Sit back relax, recover and get some chilled fine wines into you:)

The one downside to the SBR is if you let it rule your training load and doing volume for the sake of it. Sit back relax, recover and get some chilled fine wines into you:)

As you folks would say, +1. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As you folks would say, +1. ;)

So you have got a wine glass holder on that bike then.

Oryx wrote: »
    So you have got a wine glass holder on that bike then.

Shoot, I'm taking a page from your book and having a big plastic wine container with a continuous feed installed on the bike. ;)

Shoot, I'm taking a page from your book and having a big plastic wine container with a continuous feed installed on the bike. ;)
    Also holds vodka.

Short Trainer Session

I was way short on time today due to catching up on things I've neglected as of recent (translation: marathon training monopolized my every waking moment), so in between cleaning and cooking and preparing for an evening out with friends, I managed to get 13 miles for 45 very solid minutes on the trainer. It was grind, grind, grind....and push, push, push. I'm horrendous on the bike, but I'm trying.

Body is still feeling good one week out from marathon, but I will admit to experiencing a delayed feeling of fatigue. Yesterday was a rest day, and today was a forced abbreviated training day...so, while I hatehatehate wasting a good Saturday like today with so little mileage, it was probably for the best.

At the risk of repeating everything you've already been told..

You are allowed to rest
    You should rest
    There is a delayed onset to fatigue
    You don't have to go at 100% all the time
    Train smart as well as hard.

I just heard that a friend signed up for IMAT, training 20 hour weeks is suddenly out injured which is why I'm even more conscious now of how easy it is for things to go wrong without warning. I know youre loving this. But give your body a chance.

I know. I'm learning. I will probably struggle again tomorrow with letting off the gas, but I will make some sort of concessions for recovery reasons. I gotta tell you, taper madness and recovery both suck! :(;)

• Advertisement

A Lovely, Easy, Relaxing Field Run

Prior to heading out the door and into my own private Serengeti for a much needed field trot to blow off the cobwebs from my runners, I consulted the post-marathon recovery guide that Krusty sent me and I smiled with glee when I read that I was allowed to do 6 to 8 easy miles of running. Woo hoo....hallelujah.....happy days.....and, it's about freaking time.

Today was fairly sunny and warm, which I actually prefer to run in (when I'm not on the clock watching my pace) because I sweat, and when I sweat I feel like I'm really doing something. Plus, like wind and hills, I feel harsher temperatures can be used as a training tool to make you a better athlete. Of course you have to be careful when running in heat, and I am. Trust me, I am very careful - I drink extra water and cool myself down by keeping my hairband wet and/or spritzing myself.

This was a great run.....EASY and RELAXING, with jammin' tunes pumping from my iPod. I was all alone in my thoughts solving all sorts of issues and coming up with all sorts of crazy schemes until around mile 7 when a black snake that I didn't see to the side of my path moved abruptly, thus startling me to a sudden stop. Mr. Snake was not pleased with me interrupting whatever it was I interrupted him doing....and he let me know his displeasure in no uncertain terms with ugly hissing, coiling and shaking of his tail. I watched him for several minutes, trying to calm him down with my soothing voice and reassuring words :rolleyes:, but he was not amused. Finally, after I had turned to call my hubby over to have a look, Mr. Snake decided he'd had enough and slithered into the wooded brush.

This run really did feel grand. I kept the intensity way down and just ran for the pure pleasure of running. At the risk of ruining this beautiful post, I will disclose that I am sort of halfway looking at a very runner-friendly marathon in 5 weeks. Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I have not decided on anything yet. I discovered that the marathon I was looking at doing in September is actually a half marathon and not a full, and best I can tell, this one in 5 weeks may be my last best shot at going sub 3:40 prior to Boston's registration opening in September. The biggest hurdle for me and this marathon is that it's a bit of a drive, and I'm not sure I'm digging driving all those hours to improve my time two (plus) minutes. I've promised myself that if I don't get into Boston, then I'm doing Connemara instead next year. :)

10.4 miles* in 1:40:41 for an average pace of 9:42 min/mile.

* difference in post marathon recovery miles per Krusty's guide and what I actually did was due to euro to dollar conversion calculation. ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey DD! Only just got the chance to read your fantastic report - huge congrats to you on an awesome marathon never mind first marathon!! Savage result!

On the recovery note - What the hell were you thinking / are you doing?! I haven't run further than 6 miles at a time since the ultra... Am basking in the glory of having some free time, catching up with marathon-abandoned friends, hell - just getting some laundry done for the first time this year. Looking forward to getting back into some good training but enjoying the break at the risk of failing to recover properly. If only I could be so positive and disciplined in all walks of life!! ;)

Well done again!! :)

Hey cl!! Good news! I don't have any laundry or friends, so I've got plenty of time to do too many miles in my field or on my treadie in the hopes of driving all of you nuts!! Woo hoo!! Kidding. ;);)

Okay...seriously.....I know I don't always abide by all the rules, but I have gotten alot better about behaving myself thanks to you wonderful folks here guiding me through territory I am totally ignorant about. Really. Just ask catweazle. Before he found me, I was running aimlessly in my field 50 plus miles a week without a Garmin, a plan, or Irish citizenship. <gasp!> But since that day I was pestering him via email about whether or not I would indeed receive the proper size of my Achill half marathon shirt, I've been a changed athlete. Yep. I have seen the light. I now know about LSRs, rest days, and taper madness. And now I'm learning about recovery. :)

It has been/is a transition (and struggle) for me going from a swimming background to trying to become a runner in large part because the approach to training is different between swimming and running (including taper and recovery...and effort while training) - but I have made strides in the right direction, trust me. I do feel that as long as I follow basic guidelines (the training and recovery plans provided, thank you to everyone), listen to my body (I think we all have different "set points"), and learn from my experience and mistakes, then I should be okay. My 10 mile run yesterday was liberating and fun, so I will stand by that one. My 2 hour treadmill session was crazy and foolish, so I will admit to lack of good judgment there.

Bottom line, keep trying to keep me on the straight and narrow....and I will listen to both you all and my body. Thanks so much!!!!

Warning!! All tut-tutters and tsk-tskers should look away now. Divert your eyes....move along.....nothing to see here....

Field Run

Gorgeous evening.....glorious sunshine. It would have been a sin to stay indoors on a night like tonight, so an easy and fun trot around the field with my various and assorted furry little friends (wildlife, not short homeless men) it was.

Highlights of the run:
    - Spun an epic selection of tunes, and I was able to perfect my rendition of Lady Marmalade - watch out if I ever get a bit pissed at a bar and that song comes on....I'll be stepping all over Pink and Christina.
    - Spent a little quality time with my favorite black field cat.
    - Had a race with a cocky groundhog who spied me coming around the field clockwise. He tried to make it across the field before I did, and he did have me on the short bursts, but between his rookie error of checking out my race position with respect to his, and my seasoned marathon legs, he didn't have a chance. :cool:
    - Spent a bit of time trying to figure out how I will explain my rationale for tonight's run to those who read my log...and concluded that recovery is not just physical, but also mental, and running is such an outlet for me after working with the public all day....and because my body is conditioned to loads of activity, doing these miles at a relaxed pace is truly recovery for me.

8.12 miles in 1:15:37 for an average pace of 9:18 min/mile.

Feeling good. My pool opens next Thursday.....and I'm hoping to put the bike in the shop tomorrow for some basic maintenance so I can take it on an honest to goodness spin on the road this weekend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Too late I saw it :mad:

A good post popped up on my FB account today and I thought of you.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/27

Enuff said ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey cl!! Good news! I don't have any laundry or friends, so I've got plenty of time to do too many miles in my field or on my treadie in the hopes of driving all of you nuts!! Woo hoo!! Kidding. ;);)

Okay...seriously.....I know I don't always abide by all the rules, but I have gotten alot better about behaving myself thanks to you wonderful folks here guiding me through territory I am totally ignorant about. Really. Just ask catweazle. Before he found me, I was running aimlessly in my field 50 plus miles a week without a Garmin, a plan, or Irish citizenship. <gasp!> But since that day I was pestering him via email about whether or not I would indeed receive the proper size of my Achill half marathon shirt, I've been a changed athlete. Yep. I have seen the light. I now know about LSRs, rest days, and taper madness. And now I'm learning about recovery. :)

It has been/is a transition (and struggle) for me going from a swimming background to trying to become a runner in large part because the approach to training is different between swimming and running (including taper and recovery...and effort while training) - but I have made strides in the right direction, trust me. I do feel that as long as I follow basic guidelines (the training and recovery plans provided, thank you to everyone), listen to my body (I think we all have different "set points"), and learn from my experience and mistakes, then I should be okay. My 10 mile run yesterday was liberating and fun, so I will stand by that one. My 2 hour treadmill session was crazy and foolish, so I will admit to lack of good judgment there.

Bottom line, keep trying to keep me on the straight and narrow....and I will listen to both you all and my body. Thanks so much!!!!
    Warning!! All tut-tutters and tsk-tskers should look away now. Divert your eyes....move along.....nothing to see here....

Field Run

Gorgeous evening.....glorious sunshine. It would have been a sin to stay indoors on a night like tonight, so an easy and fun trot around the field with my various and assorted furry little friends (wildlife, not short homeless men) it was.

Highlights of the run:
    - Spun an epic selection of tunes, and I was able to perfect my rendition of Lady Marmalade - watch out if I ever get a bit pissed at a bar and that song comes on....I'll be stepping all over Pink and Christina.
    - Spent a little quality time with my favorite black field cat.
    - Had a race with a cocky groundhog who spied me coming around the field clockwise. He tried to make it across the field before I did, and he did have me on the short bursts, but between his rookie error of checking out my race position with respect to his, and my seasoned marathon legs, he didn't have a chance. :cool:
    - Spent a bit of time trying to figure out how I will explain my rationale for tonight's run to those who read my log...and concluded that recovery is not just physical, but also mental, and running is such an outlet for me after working with the public all day....and because my body is conditioned to loads of activity, doing these miles at a relaxed pace is truly recovery for me.

8.12 miles in 1:15:37 for an average pace of 9:18 min/mile.

Feeling good. My pool opens next Thursday.....and I'm hoping to put the bike in the shop tomorrow for some basic maintenance so I can take it on an honest to goodness spin on the road this weekend. :)

Approximately seven hours between those two posts…. I don’t think a heroin junkie needs a fix that often?! :pac:

However I do get what you say about the mental side of running… I am resorting to getting the mental restoration / healthy outlet from the red wine and chocolate dear old digs insists on bringing home every evening…for the time being! ;)

Dory, we are all watching your log now to see if you are going to prove the naysayers wrong, or go tick.. tick... tick...

BOOM.

(please dont blow up)

shazkea wrote: »
    Too late I saw it :mad:

A good post popped up on my FB account today and I thought of you.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/27

Enuff said ;)

Great article...and put in those terms I have a better understanding of the whys and why nots. Thanks, Shaz!

claralara wrote: »
    Approximately seven hours between those two posts…. I don’t think a heroin junkie needs a fix that often?! :pac:

However I do get what you say about the mental side of running… I am resorting to getting the mental restoration / healthy outlet from the red wine and chocolate dear old digs insists on bringing home every evening…for the time being! ;)

I have got to say, I think you rival me in the love-of-chocolate department!! :D
    Oryx wrote: »
    Dory, we are all watching your log now to see if you are going to prove the naysayers wrong, or go tick.. tick... tick...

BOOM.

(please dont blow up)

Not going to blow up, promise. I will, however, take an easy spin on the trainer tonight and head to bed early. I will probably run tomorrow evening (in my field with its cushioned grassy surface), but I will go even slower than I have been (10 min pace?) and only do 6 miles, which will be 1 hour in length, which should certainly be acceptable.

Total agony, this is...but I will knock it down a notch again, and hope that the next 2 1/2 weeks pass by quickly.

Did I mention my pool opens next week?? Woo hoo!! No restictions there, I assume. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Did I mention my pool opens next week?? Woo hoo!! No restictions there, I assume. :)

Err... em.. yea.. uh ..McMillan and Daniels et al say that emmm swims post marathon should be kept to 15 minutes max for uh recovery and longevity purposes. Oh and you get to discover the meaning of life if you stick to this rule for 6 months...

• Advertisement

Err... em.. yea.. uh ..McMillan and Daniels et al say that emmm swims post marathon should be kept to 15 minutes max for uh recovery and longevity purposes. Oh and you get to discover the meaning of life if you stick to this rule for 6 months...

Oh, you guys are going down! :D

Advertisement