Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Omg...absolutely gorgeous moves by Alex Ovechkin, beating Ottawa's star blue liner, pausing ever so slightly, resulting in a spectacular goal. Yes! He is back. Caps up, 4-3 with less than 4 minutes to go. Can they hold on......????

Me....Nickelback....spinning...75 minutes. It got a little crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Can they hold on......????
    You made me google the highlights of this game and I was riveted :)

He can be one of the most exciting players to watch on ice - full of explosive talent. I had the opportunity to, um, bump into Ovie in the parking garage after practice last year (long story), and I can honestly say that the peach colored virgin Mary t-shirt he had on did nothing to soften the fact that he is one huge arse dude.

Field running it was for me on this crisp yet sunny day. I was greeted by a familiar white feline who loves to be petted and fussed over....and who also loves to hunt in my field. After a few pats on the head and scratches under the neck, I was off. Prior to the run, I had settled on an 8:45 to 9:00 minute pace for the 10 miles I was planning on doing, and immediately relaxed into an 8:45 pace with the first mile. The next 7 miles were slightly faster, all around 8:30, but I was so comfortable and relaxed that I just went with it. The last two miles were a bit harder with the wind picking up and my tank starting to run out of gas, but I still felt fairly grand. Last two miles were around 8:50.

Summary: 10.4 miles, 1:29:35, 8:38 min/mile

• Advertisement

Crazy day with too many holiday errands cramping my workout style, but I did manage to get in a very short yet spiffy run between commitments. I usually don't run less than 6 to 8 miles as it's almost not worth the sweat and dirtying up the clothes (tut, tutters...I'm learning), but I have to say that, eventhough it was freezing cold outside and all of my long running pants were in the dirty laundry so I had to resort to cropped pants with bare legs exposed, I rather enjoyed my 4 mile jaunt today.

When I walked out of my house and faced the arctic air, I didn't really have a plan of what pace or how far, I just knew I had to be finished within a certain brief period of time. Initially I thought perhaps I'd go 6 miles, but with each strike of the foot I was starting to shift my thinking to perhaps reducing that distance down. My pace for the first two miles was at a decent tempo....I felt good....and decided to take a quick slurp of water and steal a stretch or two. Off for the next mile and I was flying. It was at this moment that I made a deal with myself: if I could go the 4th mile even faster than the 3rd mile, I would reward myself with a nice cool down and a pat on the back, calling it quits for the evening. (Secretly, I had in my head to go a sub 7:00 on that last mile, but I fell short of that mark.) As the Garmin vibrated on my wrist to alert me that I was at the 4 mile mark...ah ha!! I had indeed improved my last mile by 7 seconds. This session was done and dusted.

The one interesting thing that came out of this brief run was my new desire/goal to be clocked at a sub 7 minute mile. My fastest proper mile I've gone to date is 7:01.....6:xx is now in my sights.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134041354

Official Marathon Training is About to Commence!!

With just under 17 weeks to go before my first marathon, I have decided to follow the 16 week Furman Institute Plan that involves three key runs a week (interval, tempo, long runs) and then you supplement with either cross-training or easy runs on the other days. The tempo and key runs should be no problem for me, but I may have employ high-tech-treadmill-setting-calculations and resort to completing the interval runs on the artificial indoor revolving landscape. Because I usually totally rest on Fridays, that leaves me three other days to supplement....and I'm thinking I'll spin on one day....either trail run/hike OR swim one day (YES!! because I am tired of living vicariously through shotgun's aquatic posts, I scoped out a pool that is an hour away today....ahhhh....the lovely thoughts of smelling like chlorine and having straw-like hair is like a welcome drug.....purrrr....)....and then a long, easy run the last day.

If any loggers have any thoughts/suggestions....please unload them now or whenever. One thing I have not read is a suggested amount of running mileage per week for this plan. Obviously there are set distances each week, but I don't know how much additional mileage to supplement with. Last summer while training for my half marathon, I was typically running 50 - 58 miles per week, but the days were longer and I could run outside at will. This is winter. Please feel free to share with me your thoughts as they will be most appreciated. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

If any loggers have any thoughts/suggestions....please unload them now or whenever. One thing I have not read is a suggested amount of running mileage per week for this plan. Obviously there are set distances each week, but I don't know how much additional mileage to supplement with. Last summer while training for my half marathon, I was typically running 50 - 58 miles per week, but the days were longer and I could run outside at will. This is winter. Please feel free to share with me your thoughts as they will be most appreciated. :)

Given that you typically ran 50-58 miles per week training for a HM then you must know what you're doing :). The usual stuff about 10% increases per week, rest, nutrition, fast fast runs, slow slow runs, HR Monitoring, etc will of course apply. I think having faith in your plan (or any plan) is important and sticking to it as much as possible. Plan ahead as much as realistically as you can e.g. review your week ahead (and back) on a Sunday. Your schedule may need to be tweaked a bit here and there to accommodate real life so do that as early as possible. I try to get sessions done first thing and making sure my gear is ready the night before. I was a bit afraid of the mileage in the FIRST plan when I saw it as I was coming from a much lower background level so I went with a different plan but the FIRST one does get good recommendations. You may already have access to the attached pace guide but just in case, give it some decent consideration and avoid injury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

furman-1st-marathon-training-paces.pdf
    With attachment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

.... I was typically running 50 - 58 miles per week, but the days were longer and I could run outside at will. This is winter. Please feel free to share with me your thoughts as they will be most appreciated. :)

50-58 miles is loads for a Marathon. Its more than I've ever run in a week and I have 8 marathons done. Last one being a failed sub3 attempt :rolleyes: If you can mix the 50 miles up with a long focused progression run ending at PMP, a tempo sandwich, some intervals that vary as the weeks go by and then season the diet generously with a sprinkle of short easy runs and a smile :)

RedB wrote: »
    Given that you typically ran 50-58 miles per week training for a HM then you must know what you're doing :). The usual stuff about 10% increases per week, rest, nutrition, fast fast runs, slow slow runs, HR Monitoring, etc will of course apply. I think having faith in your plan (or any plan) is important and sticking to it as much as possible. Plan ahead as much as realistically as you can e.g. review your week ahead (and back) on a Sunday. Your schedule may need to be tweaked a bit here and there to accommodate real life so do that as early as possible. I try to get sessions done first thing and making sure my gear is ready the night before. I was a bit afraid of the mileage in the FIRST plan when I saw it as I was coming from a much lower background level so I went with a different plan but the FIRST one does get good recommendations. You may already have access to the attached pace guide but just in case, give it some decent consideration and avoid injury!

Trust me, I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I'm learning. The 50 - 58 mpw for the half were miles I clocked just running aimlessly in my field with no plan, no pace, no Garmin....only my cell phone perched on a cooler as my pace clock, and two bottles of water to quench my thirst. I was such a neophyte...until CW quietly gasped and made a few delicate suggestions to improve the quality of my workouts.

Your suggestions are solid - thank you. I will chart out on a calendar the upcoming week's plan with paces and distances determined. My toughest task will be to stay on the suggested pace and not go too fast, but I will have faith that these minsters of marathons know of what they preach. Don't want to be having to make a trip to the confessional to confess having a dalliance with a faster pace purely for personal pleasure. :o
    50-58 miles is loads for a Marathon. Its more than I've ever run in a week and I have 8 marathons done. Last one being a failed sub3 attempt :rolleyes: If you can mix the 50 miles up with a long focused progression run ending at PMP, a tempo sandwich, some intervals that vary as the weeks go by and then season the diet generously with a sprinkle of short easy runs and a smile :)

Ooooo....you are a foodie!! Thanks for your delicious input that I will digest with pleasure. ;) I suspect I may actually run slighlty lower weekly mileage (at least to start with) than pre-half marathon due to my understanding of the importance of due care when training for such a concussive discipline....but I will fill in the missing mileage (if there actually is any) with some cross-training. And yes, I will definitely strike a pose along the way with a wink and a smile!! ;):)

• Advertisement

Brick tonight. 60 minutes of fast and furious thigh-burning pedaling....and then 30 minutes of treadmill running (3.75 miles @ 8:00 min/mile pace) while hitting all the high notes with Adele. A couple of observations: I hate the trainer. It hurts my derriere and is so one dimensional. I feel restricted sitting there with so much of my body being a passive participant in this activity. I know the treadmill isn't exactly like loping through grassy fields in the summertime, but I feel a freedom and full body participation even on the treadmill that isn't there for me on the trainer. But spin I will.....and man was tonight's session a great workout!

It's Tuesday, so it must be yoga day! 90 minutes done....and I'm flexed and stretched and limbered up for the rest of the day. There is definitely value in these 90 minutes that I'm spending barefoot on my purple mat and in front of a mirror. Since I am not the most accomplished yoga student, it's humbling at times for me when I'm struggling with a move or lose my balance (and I thought I was good at balance!) or am not as flexible as others, but humbling is good. We all need to be humbled at times.

Namaste.

After last night's brick, and after yoga today, I decided to opt out of any speed and do a 90 minute incline session on the treadmill. 45 minutes were at 15 percent incline, 45 minutes at random incline. Legs feel good.

Hockey update: Caps in a miserable game with their arch enemy, the Philadelphia Flyers. End of 2nd period and we're down 4-0. :mad: All 4 goals were on deflections or screens. Ugh!!

And so it begins.....the overwhelming onslaught of Christmas confections delivered to us on decorated trays for our holiday consumption as a way of thanks from our many customers. OMG....you have no idea how many calories I am about to consume. I have my favorites - the pecan tassies that Mrs. Loftis delivers warm from the oven... and Mrs. Frink's huge holiday sampler of bars and cookies...and the many and wonderous burbon balls and chocolate covered peanut butter balls that come rolling in here. But there are so many more...the little snowmen sugar cookies with their silver buttons and rosy cheeks....the coconut macaroons, all moist and chewy.....the creamy chocolate fudge.....the peppermint bark....they all have a place in my heart. Wow. If you ever don't hear from me for a few days on this log, it's probably because I am in a diabetic coma from mainlining so much sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

And so it begins.....the overwhelming onslaught of Christmas confections delivered to us on decorated trays for our holiday consumption as a way of thanks from our many customers. OMG....you have no idea how many calories I am about to consume. I have my favorites - the pecan tassies that Mrs. Loftis delivers warm from the oven... and Mrs. Frink's huge holiday sampler of bars and cookies...and the many and wonderous burbon balls and chocolate covered peanut butter balls that come rolling in here. But there are so many more...the little snowmen sugar cookies with their silver buttons and rosy cheeks....the coconut macaroons, all moist and chewy.....the creamy chocolate fudge.....the peppermint bark....they all have a place in my heart. Wow. If you ever don't hear from me for a few days on this log, it's probably because I am in a diabetic coma from mainlining so much sugar.

Just what I needed to read as I sit here holding myself back from raiding the fridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

:D:pac::pac::pac:

I just found a store in Ireland that stocks US goods... Reeses peanut butter cups, Hershey bars, Aunt Jemima Pancakes & Syrup, a 50oz box of goldfish, and a Special Nostalgia Box of 1970s candy, will be rotting our teeth in a few more days. Can't wait!

littlebug wrote: »
    Just what I needed to read as I sit here holding myself back from raiding the fridge!

Misery loves company. I may have to recite all the goodies every day til Christmas so I don't have to eat alone. ;)
    :D:pac::pac::pac:

I just found a store in Ireland that stocks US goods... Reeses peanut butter cups, Hershey bars, Aunt Jemima Pancakes & Syrup, a 50oz box of goldfish, and a Special Nostalgia Box of 1970s candy, will be rotting our teeth in a few more days. Can't wait!

Or, as they would say after a hard day in the tobacco fields....there's nothing like sitting on a street corner with an RC Cola and a Moonpie. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You had me at pecan tassies, impressive list of festive treats:)

You had me at pecan tassies, impressive list of festive treats:)

Those tassies are amazing. Really. :)

A fantastically grand night for a proper run....so I had to heed the call of the asphalt and pound some pavement. Most runs outside the safe confines of my field are generally unremarkable, but tonight's run was sprinkled with a few notable happenings. First there was the so-ugly-it's-cute opossum who, after some tricky negotiations and perfect timing, crossed Main Street and intersected my path on the sidewalk, almost tripping me in the process. The poor opossum was totally freaked out and not sure what to do as I was behind him, there was a wall to his left, and cars to his right....so his only option was to run straight ahead with me chasing behind him. Poor little fella. Thankfully, about a half a block up there was a break in the wall thus allowing him an escape from the sound of little feet inching ever closer.

Other notable things about town were all the festive decorations donning homes and yards - some homes and yards more than others (and that's not necessarily a good thing), which begs the question: who says we're in a recession? I'm not sure which yard was my favorite - the one with all the yard lights flashing at seizure-inducing speed.....or the one with the lights that spell out "happy birthday Jesus" on the fence. I may have to snap a pic of that one and post it for you loggers.

Other happenings.....while running in a dark stretch of town, I nearly fell head first into a hedge when I didn't realize the sidewalk suddenly ended.....as I approached train tracks in the middle of town on Main Street, lights started flashing and the arm was lowered signaling the oncoming train, so I had to wait for it to pass....but the one thing that put the biggest smile on my face tonight was the decked out Santa driving a Harley Davidson through town yelling "ho, ho, ho!". I met him three times. :)

Any way....whew.....my run was beautiful....felt super.....best I've felt since my last half marathon two and a half months ago. I went at a decent speed, but never felt pushed. My splits were fairly consistent, and I attacked every hill I encountered.

8.45 miles, 1:11:39, 8.28 pace

I may post the Garmin info tomorrow because I am curious about the elevations since I have always felt that our little town is fairly hilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Please do get a picture of the houses!! :)

Sounds like a good run. Nothing better than that feeling when it all goes your way.

Here's my Garmin info from my urban run last night. I was most interested in seeing just how hilly our little town is and, as I suspected, it is farily hilly as my 8 plus mile run encompassed 1,142 feet of elevation gain. The marathon I'm running in April has posted a total elevation gain of 1,900 feet, so I feel if I keep attacking and embracing these hills then I should be well prepared for the 26.2 miler. I'm already feeling more comfortable on the hills....I'm sure the crazy trail running is helping in that regard as well.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134624769

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Happy Birthday Jesus. Brilliant. :)

You always sound so happy to be out there doing it. In contrast to me last night running in the freezing horrible rain. I looked at the overdone lights on the houses and thought 'bah humbug, you rotten sods, dry and warm with your feckin flashing lights'. :) Was not feeling the Christmas love. I need to take a leaf out of your book.

Oryx wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Jesus. Brilliant. :)

You always sound so happy to be out there doing it. In contrast to me last night running in the freezing horrible rain. I looked at the overdone lights on the houses and thought 'bah humbug, you rotten sods, dry and warm with your feckin flashing lights'. :) Was not feeling the Christmas love. I need to take a leaf out of your book.

Ahhh....but it's easy to have my attitude when the weather is mild and the sky is clear with gorgeous stars and nearly full moon shining upon me. Oh, and we can't forget that happy birthday Jesus thingy to brighten up anyone's dreariest of days. (Photo to come.) But if it helps any, your 'bah humbug, rotten sods, fecking flashing lights comment will keep me giggling and perky for a while. :) Plus, when I'm out there, I always think of it as one big adventure.

Goodness gracious....how could I have forgotten yesterday to mention the edible works of art that our friend/client we call The Cake Lady brings in each Christmas?? Well.....here it is. The brownies are made with deep dark chocolate and espresso powder (love the rush!) and the cake is made with Guinness Stout.....and there is a seperate tin you don't see filled with little decorated cookies.

cake lady goods.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Just perusing the 2012 Triathlon Race calendar Dory, some interesting options for the 2nd race along with Achill especially if you are staying west again :D You may well be looking at IRMA races instead a lot of trail running going on in this log lately http://www.imra.ie/events/

https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html

Hell of the West - June 23rd in lovely Kilkee in Clare (shotguns home race)

Triathlone - June 30th - Probably Ireland biggest Triathlon

Galway Aquathon - Saturday 14th - you already know the joys of Galway, high probability of you beating me here without the bike

Tri the burren - Saturday 14th - Not sure what the race is like but the location will work for you

Humbert Challenge July 22nd - The ultimate challenge ;)

Now in saying that I deffo wont be doing Triathlone or Tri the Burren, I might do the aquathon but probably shouldnt as its a bit close to Humbert

catweazle wrote: »
    Just perusing the 2012 Triathlon Race calendar Dory, some interesting options for the 2nd race along with Achill especially if you are staying west again :D You may well be looking at IRMA races instead a lot of trail running going on in this log lately http://www.imra.ie/events/

https://www.triathlonireland-newserver.com/local-races.html

Hell of the West - June 23rd in lovely Kilkee in Clare (shotguns home race)

Triathlone - June 30th - Probably Ireland biggest Triathlon

Galway Aquathon - Saturday 14th - you already know the joys of Galway, high probability of you beating me here without the bike

Tri the burren - Saturday 14th - Not sure what the race is like but the location will work for you

Humbert Challenge July 22nd - The ultimate challenge ;)

Now in saying that I deffo wont be doing Triathlone or Tri the Burren, I might do the aquathon but probably shouldnt as its a bit close to Humbert

Which race has the heated lake we swim in? :)

I will google the Galway Aquathon and Tri the Burren and check out the distances.....but the thought of swimming in your freezing cold water scares the bejesus out of me, as does the prospect of cycling on your roads (I've been on your roads, you know, with your crazy drivers and rogue sheep)....but I will entertain your slighty insane idea of running a half marathon one weekend and doing a triathlon the next...after traveling overseas....and while on, eh hem, vacation. ;)

How is the diaper changing going? Can you do it in your sleep yet?

Two words: karaoke bike
    I'm just sayin'.

75 minutes on the trainer tonight. As always, I let my music do the hard work by setting the pace and then distracting me, thus allowing me to spin like mad without ever realizing the effort I am expending. Good session.

Rest day tomorrow.....then the grand commencement of marathon plan training on Saturday. My weeks will normally run from Sunday to Saturday, but with the holidays and family coming for a visit, I will bank one day by starting one day early. I have my calendar on the ready, and I've already penciled in the Caps hockey games so I can synch certain workouts with their games. I have my priorities in order. ;)

Today was the start of......MARATHON TRAINING PROGRAM!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!! I have the next two weeks all mapped out with the three key sessions per week plus cross training and easy runs. I am so ready.

Today was key #1-interval training. Ugh! I am not a sprinter and I think the only times I've been on a track was when I was a cheerleader or during school gym SO long ago. Because I decided that I'd do today's sprints around our high school's track that's around the football field, I had to inquire about the distance of the track, and the answer I got was that the standard track distance is 400 meters. Perfect! I was to do 3 x 1600 meters, so 4 times around the track - easy enough.

I, eh hem, "jogged" to the track as my warm up, which is about 3 miles away, then after a few stretches and deep breaths, took off at a mad dash around the very worn and horribly neglected oval. With about 3.8 laps done, my Garmin sounded the one mile alarm. Huh? Was my Garmin off? Or is the track off? I have no earthly idea. I went ahead and crossed at the start line and recorded that distance and time. I took about a 2 minutes rest (plan called for 1 minute, but...) then started off on my second 1600. Same thing occurred - the Garmin alarm went off before I had reached the start line. 2 minute rest, then off again....and same thing. So, either my watch is consistently off (crap!) or the track is off. (and yes, i ran in the inside lane the entire way) I am friends with one of the track coaches so I will ask her about this next week. After a few stretches and easy breaths, I headed back home. Oh.....that third 1600 was a killer. I almost stopped to puke. I did slow down, but I talked myself out of spewing.

Summary:
    Warm up: 8:32, 8:24, 8:13, 1:44 (8:39 pace)
    1600 meter intervals:
    6:49 (the extra to the start line :26, total then is 7:15)
    6:46 ( the extra to the start line :33, total then is 7:19)
    6:54 ( the extra to the start line :24, total then is 7:18)
    Cool down: 9:04, 8:44, 8:04 (9:32 pace)
    Totals: 9.25 miles, 1:14:42, 8:04 pace

The plan called for the intervals to be done at 7:15 pace, so either I was faster than the pace, or I was pretty close to dead on pace. I imagine my warm up was too fast, but I definitely slowed down the return trip home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Garmins just cannot measure tracks accurately. It's due (I think) to the curves at either end.
    I have done two 1 mile races on two different tracks and each time the Garmin measured 1.05 miles. Same thing when I do Intervals, 400m is generally .26 or .27 miles and 800m is generally .52-.53 miles on the garmin.

Advertisement