Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thanks for the clarification. On one hand I'm bummed that I still haven't gone under 7 min for a mile, but on the other hand I'm glad my Garmin is probably pretty accurate and that I was close to the planned pace. Thanks again very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. On one hand I'm bummed that I still haven't gone under 7 min for a mile, but on the other hand I'm glad my Garmin is probably pretty accurate and that I was close to the planned pace. Thanks again very much.

No worries, What I do for intervals on the track is turn off the autolap and lap manually as I cross the finish line.

Do you know how long the garmin measured 4 laps of your track? The track may still be a bit longer than 400m. An extra 0.04-0.05 miles should only take about 15 seconds at the pace you were running.

I am sure you can go under 7 for a mile. Maybe find a nice flat mile stretch of road to do your next mile intervals? Garmins would be pretty accurate in a straight line.

The Garmin measured 1 mile and 335 feet, 1 mile and 431 feet, and 1 mile and 307 feet. So the range of Garmin "extra" is between .0581 and .0816. Does that tell you anything? You might be right...I might want to find a flat straight stretch. Not sure where....or if possible in this little town, but we'll see. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The Garmin measured 1 mile and 335 feet, 1 mile and 431 feet, and 1 mile and 307 feet. So the range of Garmin "extra" is between .0581 and .0816. Does that tell you anything? You might be right...I might want to find a flat straight stretch. Not sure where....or if possible in this little town, but we'll see. :)

It certainly sounds a little far but not outside the margins of possibility of being an accurate track. Are you sure you didn't run in lane 2 :p. The fact that one of the 'miles' is 124ft longer than another one shows just how inaccurate garmins are around a track.

menoscemo wrote: »
    It certainly sounds a little far but not outside the margins of possibility of being an accurate track. Are you sure you didn't run in lane 2 :p. The fact that one of the 'miles' is 124ft longer than another one shows just how inaccurate garmins are around a track.

Lane 2? Hah! I was hugging lane 1 pretty close to squeeze all I could get out of it! Well, I guess the bottom line is, even if the track is off a little (which it may not be), it's a static distance, and there is value in that. Plus, I pretty much hit my target, so......I guess all in all a good experience. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Swim session today - hallelujah!!!!! I don't think I stopped smiling the entire time i was there, which probably seemed a bit disturbing to the lifeguards and the elder gentleman swimming in the next lane. It's been over 2 and a half months since I've been in a pool, and every time there is a break in my swimming I am reminded that in water is really where I belong. It doesn't hurt that the facility is uber nice...or that there are 10 lanes and I had my own lane all to myself....or that the water is a very pleasant 80 degrees. Yes, it is an hour a way, but I think I am going to try and swim once every one or two weeks for all the obvious reasons.

Since this was my first session back submerged in chlorine, I decided that I'd just put in some yardage and not worry about the clock. I also didn't put much thought into the workout itself, so it's not exactly one to put down in the record books.

5 x 200 yards, mainly freestyle, but some breastroke and one arm butterfly.
    5 x 200 yards kick, mainly freestyle, but some breastroke and butterfly.
    5 x 200 yards pull buoy, all freestyle.
    6 x 100 yards - one length of each free, breast, fly, free.
    Total yards - 3600.

As I mentioned, I did not watch the clock....but I did peek at it from time to time to notice that I was doing approximately 4 minute intervals for the 200 yard kick and pull buoy sets (pull buoy was faster, but I allowed myself a little more recovery time). I really have no idea for the swim sets, but I'm sure I did not rest more than 20 or 30 seconds between 200 intervals, and prob no more than 10 or 15 seconds between 100 intervals. Now that I've got this first session in the books, next time I will watch the clock.

The body still feels warm from swimming....don't know why, but I don't get the same warm feeling from running or cycling. I'm a happy girl right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice varied session back there to get a feel for it again. Re: the yardage, how many yards/meters is the pool? When you were swimming competitively did you train in yards and compete in meters? :confused:

Nice varied session back there to get a feel for it again. Re: the yardage, how many yards/meters is the pool? When you were swimming competitively did you train in yards and compete in meters? :confused:

The pool I was in yesterday is 25 yards by 25 meters, but they have it set up for 25 yards. When I swam competitively, winter/indoor practice was just about always in a 25 yard pool while winter/indoor meets were mainly in a 25 yard pool BUT could also be in a 25 meter or 50 meter pool. (Both 25 yard and 25 meter pools are considered short course swimming.) Summer/outdoor swimming was pretty much exclusively long course for both practice and meets in a 50 meter pool.

As promised, the Happy Birthday Jesus photo. What you don't see is the amazing inventory of blowup lawn ornaments and flashing lights in every color imaginable that have been tacked to his house, his trees, bushes, posts, mailbox, the dog, the cars, grandma. You name it, if it wasn't moving during the Christmas decor installation, it has lights on it! Oh, and his brother lives down the street and each year it appears they are competing to see who can have the highest electric bill.

happy bday jesus.jpg

There would usually be a couple of Christams light paraphernalia world record type attempts around my suburban run route but it seems low key so far this year. Darn Recession! :(

• Advertisement

Figured out the distance of the track I ran my 1600 meter intervals on Saturday - it's 13.5 feet over 400 meters (yes, I measured! or more specifically, I sent one of my teenage employees over and had her measure for me.). So, multiply that by 4, then do a little multiplication and division and other higher calculations.....and it appears I can shave a whole 4 seconds off each of my intervals.....thus making them 7:11, 7:15, 7:14. woo hoo.....!!.....!!

Tonight was Key Run #2, which called for 2 miles easy (~10:00/mile), 2 miles short tempo (7:50/mile), 2 miles easy.

It was a beautiful 50 degree night, so on with the running pants and off for a proper run around town. While scheming my route, I decided I wouldn't necessarily avoid hills, but I wouldn't seek them out either...so what resulted was a reasonable mix of rolling hills, relatively flat side streets, and a few inclines that caused a bit of panting from yours truly.

Actual paces:
    2 miles easy - 9:48, 9:38
    2 miles short tempo - 7:22 (:eek: too fast!), 7:44 (much better!)
    2 miles easy - 9:24, 9:27

Total run was actually 6.25 miles, but the last .25 mile was mainly spent negotiating with a very unhappy German Shepherd who had apparently escaped his owner and was now free to reign terror and assert dominance on a wayward marathon wannabe. A bit of a scary moment....I may need to ask Santa to bring me the ever popular holiday favorite Can O'Mace as my stocking stuffer this year.

Based on the mass quantity of cookies and cakes and brownies and bars I've shoveled in my mouth over the past week, I'm surprised I could actually bend over and touch my toes in yoga today. Good session - one that I desperately needed to stretch out and to give a little love to all the muscles that have been made angry by the first swim session (hello inner thighs from breaststroke kick!) and from the god-awful sprint intervals on Saturday (hello all over body fatigue!) - but about halfway through the 90 minutes, I got really hungry....so upon my return to work, I proceeded to dive straight into the cookie tray and tin of chocolate covered pretzles. And then at about that time....ta da!.....an edible arrangement of chocolate covered fresh strawberries appeared at the front desk....and, OMG, they are to die for....consumed two without a blink of an eye.

I have to tell you, the food is coming in at an alarming rate now...we can't keep up.....it's even switched from confections to smoked pork and beef brisket with fresh yeast rolls and assorted sauces. Life's pretty grand right about now.

chocolate covered fresh strawberries appeared at the front desk....and, OMG, they are to die for....consumed two without a blink of an eye.
    For this very reason strawberries and nutella between oat cakes is a regular snack in my world :D I'm nearly licking the screen after your last post...

First of all, I think I goofed on the easy pace last night. I read the Furman Institute chart wrong....or actually I did the kilometer to miles time conversion wrong. Because of my error, I thought my target easy pace was supposed to be around 10 min/mile, when in fact it should have been 9:21. Drat! Oh well, not the end of the world.

But, I am a little confused, and perhaps one of you loggers can clarify this for me. Tonight was a non-key-run night per the Furman plan, so it was supposed to be either cross training or an easy run. I opted for an easy run. My question is, do I go by the easy pace provided in the plan's tempo run chart (which is based on my 5k time), or do I compute the easy run pace with the help of the McMillan calculator (which I based on my marathon goal time)? The tempo chart calls for 9:21, while the calculator calls for 9:17-9:47.

Urban running tonight....a clear 45 degree evening....and no encounters with disgruntled creatures. I had made my mind up to abide by the training plan and do this run at an easy clip, but I wasn't sure how to deal with all the hills that I would be meeting. I decided that I would avoid the worst hills, but plod up the ones I would face at a steady and deliberate pace while trying to stay relaxed and breathe easy. I did quite well with this until I reached the hills on mile 6 when I definitely slowed down in my attempt to maintain the spirit of "easy", thinking all the while my average pace was to be around 10 min/mile. :confused:

Well, even if I went too slow tonight, I will have to say that I feel good. Legs feel good, knee feels good. Summary of run is as follows:

9:02, 9:03, 9:38, 9:43, 9:57, 10:13, 9:56, 2:45 (9:56 pace)
    7.28 miles
    1:10:21
    9:40/mile

What I don't like about these splits is how they get slower, BUT, in my defense, I was thinking I was to stay around 10 min/mile so I allowed myself to slow down. I wanted this to be a relaxing run, one that was not hard on the body, and it was both of those things. :)

Best thing of the evening.....when I got out of the shower after my run, my towel was toasty warm. Apparently I forgot to turn off the heated towel rack after my shower this morning. Oops!

Just a 60 minute session on the bike. No fancy gadgets or technology to assess my effort and performance, just plenty of sweating, panting and burning thighs to be my gauge. Usually go 75 minutes on the trainer, but cut tonight a bit short due to family coming tomorrow and I had some prep to do for their arrival. Will be taking two days off while family is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

But, I am a little confused, and perhaps one of you loggers can clarify this for me. Tonight was a non-key-run night per the Furman plan, so it was supposed to be either cross training or an easy run. I opted for an easy run. My question is, do I go by the easy pace provided in the plan's tempo run chart (which is based on my 5k time), or do I compute the easy run pace with the help of the McMillan calculator (which I based on my marathon goal time)? The tempo chart calls for 9:21, while the calculator calls for 9:17-9:47.

I think you answered your question nicely.
    I wanted this to be a relaxing run, one that was not hard on the body, and it was both of those things. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Who needs plenty of gadgets as long as you have "plenty of sweating, panting and burning thighs" you know you are having a good workout:)

Have a Merry Xmas

I think you answered your question nicely.

pn, I like your style.
    Who needs plenty of gadgets as long as you have "plenty of sweating, panting and burning thighs" you know you are having a good workout:)

Have a Merry Xmas

And jb, your style is bang on too. Merry Christmas. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is it time for Christmas greetings? Ok then Bah Humbug from the Christmas light hater. :)

Only joking. Have a Joggy Christmas and a Sweaty New Year.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Is it time for Christmas greetings? Ok then Bah Humbug from the Christmas light hater. :)

Only joking. Have a Joggy Christmas and a Sweaty New Year.

You sound more like Cindy Lou Who than the Grinch. Not sure this will be good for your image. ;) Merry fecking Christmas, Oryx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

You sound more like Cindy Lou Who than the Grinch. Not sure this will be good for your image. ;) Merry fecking Christmas, Oryx.

Brilliant, you're only an Irish citizen for a few weeks and already you're speaking like a native.
    Merry fecking Christmas everyone.

Brilliant, you're only an Irish citizen for a few weeks and already you're speaking like a native.
    Merry fecking Christmas everyone.

The inner Irish potty-mouth is a beautiful thing.

Went for a hike yesterday with my brother, nephew and hubby along Jeremy's Run. It was an absolutely fab day - 57 degrees and gorgeous enough that the birds were chirping their holiday tunes. Jeremy's Run's trail is one of the better trails in the user-friendly department in that it is not overly littered with rocks, roots and stumps....and it follows a lovely trout stream that was up and quite active due to the rain we had the night before. My brother (who is a cyclist), kept chattering to my hubby about how this trail would be a mountain bike's dream, while I was more sympathetic to the joy my runner's would derive from interacting in this environment.

I've taken Thursday and Friday off due to holiday festivities, but the plan is to do 13 miles today after family leaves. It's another grand morning here with the sun smiling down on us; mix in the backdrop of the mountains and I've got a great setting for my Christmas Eve trot around town.

The gorgeous-morning-in-the-country teaser this morning didn't disappoint, for the early sunshine carried over into the afternoon, warming my face as I trotted through town and on the Greenway (a lovely path along the Hawksbill Creek) for my 13 miler. Town was bustling with last minute shoppers and the Greenway was thick with folks walking their dogs (oh so many dogs in all sizes and shapes and colors and hair coats) and kids riding their bikes and couples holding hands. I met several people I know, so Christmas greetings were exchanged and hugs and smiles were doled out like candy at a parade. There was so much Christmas cheer being spewed about that I wished I had worn my Santa hat on this run.

Per the plan, this Key Run #3 was to be 13 miles at 9:15 pace. I had not worked out since Wednesday, and I had not run since Tuesday, so I was like a horse who had been kept in the stable too long. My first three miles were way too fast, I tried to slow them down to pace, but to be honest with you I just couldn't for a mix of reasons - beautiful day, the holiday joy, the rested legs, the decision to avoid hills :). There were a few miles that were closer to pace, primarily because of the exchanges with my acquaintances and maneuvering around kids on bikes, but I finished pretty strong, however I was physically tired. Not wasted, but tired.

Actual:
    13 miles
    1:52:08
    Splits: 8:20, 8:27, 8:19, 8:45, 8:35, 8:30, 8:49, 8:57, 8:26, 8:47, 8:53, 8:36, 8:36
    Avg pace: 8:37

Recovery day tomorrow...not sure what yet, but I will go easy and enjoy it.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Merry Xmas Dory Dory! Your description of those run routes are making mine seem very boring!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Merry Xmas Dory Dory! Your description of those run routes are making mine seem very boring!

Merry Christmas Bambaata! I hope you and "the family" have a peaceful holiday. ;)

Sunny and blustery, this Christmas day. After yesterday's 13 mile key run, today was to be a recovery run. Off and out of my field and into the streets, then down to the Greenway for a nice easy trot along the Hawksbill Creek where even the ducks were paying homage to this most sacred day by peacefully gathering in prayer-like fashion along the bank. As usual, my initial gait was too fast, but after a few miles I allowed the wind to be my gentle reminder to slow down and relax a bit as I eased into it's current, enjoying the light resistance I was running through.

Garmin lost satellite after mile 5, but I know I completed a good 7 miles. The laps that were recorded are as follows: 9.09, 9:13, 8:54, 9:21, 9:32. I will guess the last two miles were approximately at 9:30 to 9:45 pace as I was heading into hills and trying to stay relaxed for the last few steps home, thus making my average pace around 9:22/mile.

Christmas dinner tonight will be fried oysters.....and I purchased WAY too many oysters not realizing how many were in the 2 half gallon containers I ordered in advance....so I will be spending the next few hours preparing enough bivalve beauties to feed a very hungry army!

Key workout #1 night....so (drumroll please) it's the fast and furious sweat-fest known as interval training. Yay! Cough, cough. Caps playing tonight, so this session would be in front of the tv on my treadie to allow me to shout and cheer all sorts of creative combinations as if I had any sway over the men on ice.

Plan called for 1 mile warmup, 4 x 800 meter intervals (3:30 each) with 2 minutes rest between intervals, 10 minute cool down. Since I was doing this on the mill, I had to do some fancy calculations to determine my settings....and I settled on something faster than 8.5 mph to achieve the target pace for the intervals. And because it was going to be easier for me to watch my time and not my distance (not sure how I determined that), I decided I would run the intervals at a pace equal to or less than 7 min/mile for the full 3 and a half minutes.

Actual:
    1 mile easy
    2 x (3 1/2 minutes at 6.98 min/mile, 2 min easy)
    2 x (3 1/2 minutes at 6.89 min/mile, 2 min easy)
    14 minutes easy to cool down
    Total: 5.04 miles, 45 minutes, 8.56 min/mile.

I'm really sticking with the plan as close as I can. Only running for 45 minutes is so foreign to me, but I will trust that I am saving my body for the higher mileage that is yet to come...and that it is quality and not quantity that perhaps will reap me the rewards I am looking for. Time will tell.

Caps are stinking up the joint. They are having a miserable time.....watching them is actually more painful than running intervals at the moment. Down 4-1 with 20 min left to play. :mad:

T'was a grand 90 minute session O'Yoga. I'm all flexed and stretched and warmed for the rest of the day. Athlete's choice tonight, as it is a non-key workout day....so trying to decide if doing a brick (60 minutes spinning on my trainer and then 30 minutes of running on the mill) qualifies as cross training or an easy run, as specified in the plan. Hmmmm.....

• Advertisement

Brick tonight....60 min spin session, 30 minute trot on the treadie. Trot was 3.35 miles, 8:57 pace. Love how the legs fight the transition from cycling to running.

My brother put a new saddle on my bike since I kept complaining about how sore my fanny would become after a workout on it, and because he said the old saddle was totally wrong for me - he said it was too narrow and too soft. After some discussion, it was decided that I was to try a saddle that my brother had purchased for my husband, but my husband has never used. It's a beautiful leather number with copper rivets and cut out.....an arse hammock, is how my brother referred to it. Well, all I can say is....this tush is loving the hammock....and the bike looks fab with this uber cool upgrade. The only thing that concerns me is, I'm not sure I can live up to how fast it looks. :o

Advertisement