Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Field Fartlek

Plan: 2 miles easy, 5*3 min on/off fartlek, 2 miles easy

Work is crazy and pretty crappy today (don't ask!) but managed to slip out mid-morning to get this done. Too foggy to run on the road so I opted for a field session, and that was fine by me. Fit my mood. On with the tunes, off with the work clothes.....and out to tackle this bad boy.

Warm up was easy breezy.....fartlek was interesting. I've never done a fartlek before, but this was sort of like doing intervals.

3 mins on, 3 mins off; its almost the definition of intervals! "Proper" fartlek (which is great for dealing with sh*tty days BTW) is a bit less structured than you've described above. Run to a tree, jog a bit, run to another tree, decide to keep going and up the pace for 5,4,3,2,1... jog a lap, run hard up a hill... whatever you feel like.

You get the idea. Basically anything that springs to mind. If you've a competitive mind (and I think you do), fartlek is a great way of challenging yourself in the moment. Its not structured, so you can't know before what you'll get from the session, but IMO you end up running harder for a fartlek session, than structured intervals, and without the pre-run dread of the intervals. So, maybe try mixing it up a bit, and just running whatever comes to mind during the session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Happy Thanksgiving Dory!- as crazy right-wing war-mongering bible-bashing nut-jobs go, you're my fave:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving Dory!- as crazy right-wing war-mongering bible-bashing nut-jobs go, you're my fave:)

Aw shucks!! Who needs pecan pie when we've got you!!

(Didn't know you were married to an American!)

Besides being thankful for all of you Boardsies who I think of as mythological gods and goddesses, I am thankful for my 9 year old niece who announced at the Thanksgiving Day dinner table that she wanted her Auntie Dory to be her own personal running trainer. Whah?? Me??? Her trainer?? Really?? :D Well, we immediately excused ourselves from the pumpkin pie and fake whipped cream to get started on some proper intervals. I just so happened to have my Garmin (was secretly hoping to get a 6 mile run in), and you should have seen the excitement in her eyes when I strapped it to her tiny wrist and showed her how to use it. We went over a little strategy, then off she went from the basketball hoop to the second volleyball net - 13 seconds. I cleared the screen for her, and this time she went from the second volleyball net back to the basketball hoop - 12 seconds. By this time, her very quiet 7 year old sister joined in and was running with her. Cleared the screen, and off from the hoop to the net they went - 11 seconds. She was now focused on getting to 10 seconds, but no matter how hard she tried, and no matter how hard she pumped her arms, the next several intervals stayed at 11 and 12 seconds. But she was not getting frustrated, no. She saw another way around this hurdle. As any clever 9 year old might do, she decided to start a little closer to the finish line to get that elusive 10 seconds she so knew was in her. And guess what? She hit the stop button as she reached the second volleyball net in a record breaking 10 seconds!! And then she announced she was ready for pie. :)

Turkey Day Treadmill Trot

Plan: 6 miles easy

I had hoped to slip away from the family festivities to get 6 easy miles done today, but it just never happened. So when we finally arrived back home from our journey I went for Plan B, which was hopping on the treadmill and knocking out my 6 easy miles that way. It's been ages since I've been on the treadmill and I'd forgotten how it feels to run on it. Thank god for them, but I do much prefer the road.

Actual: 6 easy miles on the treadmill while I watched NFL football.

Blustery, Breezy, Chilly Run About Town

Plan: 6 miles steady

Woo-wee did the nasty wind blow in some nasty cold air last night!!! Jiminy Cricket did the temp drop from a lovely 60 degrees to a frigid 30 degrees!!! Brrrr!!!!! But, I reminded myself this morning how miserable I was this summer running in the heat and humidity to ease the temptation of psyching myself out of this run - and this run was no bother to me in the end. Thank god for good cold weather gear - we really are so lucky to have high quality clothing and accessories to keep us nice and toasty warm.

I was a bit apprehensive about this run pace-wise mainly because of the wind, so I told myself that an 8 to 8:15 min/mile pace would be acceptable. Normally I would want to target closer to 8 min/mile, but no need in feeling defeated due to things I can't control. The first mile into town felt really good and really easy, 7:54, but I knew I wanted to slow it down a little. One thing I am trying to do this training cycle is learn to pace smart. I have taken to studying the Clown's Garmin posts and I am struck by his pace control, even on hills he is pretty steady. The second mile was equally as nice as the first, 7:59. The third and fourth miles were mainly in a local park and on mulch, and I was a little surprised at my pace for those miles (where did that pace discipline go to I am trying to learn!!?? :o), especially on the third mile because there was a short but awful hill I climbed - 7:42, 7:46. I did have to stop very briefly to remove some mulch that had made its way into one of my shoes, but without delay I hopped up and treated myself to one very flat mile on asphalt by running around the park's parking lot 5 times - 7:34. This flat, asphalt mile was very good for me mentally since I had not timed myself under those conditions in quite some time. The sixth mile was a small disappointment pace-wise, but this was the one mile that wind really did play a factor. As I exit the park there is a nice downhill that I eased up on, but then there is an uphill that turns a corner and keeps going and eventually turns into a wonderful downhill....but the kicker was, as soon as I turned that corner while going uphill and while anticipating a wonderful downhill, BOOM, the wind hit me like a ton of bricks. There was no lovely downhill today - the wind pushed me like a freight train. Oh well. Last steady mile was 8:06.

With the steady miles done and dusted, I stopped for a few seconds to stretch the legs before heading it back home. The last 1.42 miles were easy cool down miles that were a joy to run. I didn't exactly master the Clown's art of pace today, but this session had some quality to it, so for that I am pleased. :)

Actual: 7.42 miles in 59:24.8 for an average pace of 8 min/mile.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/246262605

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice training of late, when's your next race?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice training of late, when's your next race?

Thanks!! And I had a very good 10 mile run today as well. I'm hoping the hills I've been doing are serving me well and will pay some dividends when it's time to cash in on the work.

The goal race is (obviously) Boston in April, 20 weeks away......but I am going down to Disney World in January to do The Goofy - a half marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday. My plan is to try and get a good time in the half marathon and then just have some fun with the full. I have been warned, however, that due to the number of runners and crazy Disney characters who will be littering the course, it can be difficult to get a super fast time. We'll see. I'm guessing the course is pretty flat, and if I am anywhere near a PB during the half marathon, Mickey and Minnie better not get in my way 'cause they're going down if they do! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You going in fancy dress :D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You going in fancy dress :D

Funny you should ask - I might. Mulling over ideas....;)

I just typed up an award winning post about my 10 mile run today, but the cruel Internet gods saw fit to cast a spell on my computer and wiped my Grammy caliber post away. :(:mad:

So, in summary:

Main Street Madness

Plan: 10 miles easy

Gorgeous but cold....wanted to treat myself to hot cocoa and a confection post-run so decided to run the entire length of Main Street plus a few side street....east end of town has long slow uphill drags....west end of town has shorter, steeper climbs.....did the shorter, steeper climbs last on tired legs....broke all sorts of my own personal rules by street running with an iPod, but Imelda needed a workout....mile 5 was my favorite mile due to how I felt and what was playing....hurdled two dead birds, both on mile 6....mile 7 was where the hard hills began.....miles 8 and 9 were the hardest and slowest....mile 10 had the most downhill but my tired legs would not allow me to free fall it like I so enjoy because the muscles felt fatigued and frozen....rewarded myself with a medium hot cocoa with whipped cream on top and a chocolate chip cookie while sitting at a bar table by the window at a local fave, The Gathering Grounds.....decided I liked these runs on tired legs (from the run the day before) because it forces me to slow down and gives me more time on my feet.... and decided I'm enjoying my training at the moment. :)

Actual: 10.1 miles in 1:29.02 for an average pace of 8:48 min/mile

Will post Garmin link in a bit as an edit....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/246803379

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Savage. The disney run is on my bucket list.

Trainer

Plan: cross train

Have you heard the song "Aqualung" recently?? Have you had the pleasure of humming to the lyrics of this fine song in the last, um, 15 years?? No wonder my mom would yell upstairs to me and my brother to turn our noise down when we would crank our music at all hours of the day and night. Yikes!! A parent's nightmare, that rock and roll was.

Actual: 20 miles while humming along to all sorts of questionable lyrics. :)

Town Trot

Not much to say other than I had a very large dog come after me about a mile into the run. :eek::mad: Scared the crap out of me!!!!

Actual: 7.07 miles in 1:01:23 for an average pace of 8:40 min/mile

Garmin link:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/247524543

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Not much to say other than I had a very large dog come after me about a mile into the run. :eek::mad: Scared the crap out of me!!!!

Early practice encounter for Goofy ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Early practice encounter for Goofy ?

Goofy better hope I don't have my can of mace with me!

Field Intervals

Plan: 2 miles easy, 10*1 min on/off, 2 miles easy

I should've known when I strapped on my watch and realized that the custom workout did not download from my computer to my watch (even though it said it did!!! :mad:) that this would not be my most sparkling day. Ugh!! I decided that it would be ridiculous of me to have to keep an eye on my watch waiting for one minute to pass doing these intervals, so instead I improvised by timing my first interval and then did each subsequent one as a point to point. I know this also meant that my recovery was a wee bit longer than it should have been, but it was the best bad choice for me.

And speaking of bad....either my Garmin was acting up or I was pushing buttons when I shouldn't have been pushing buttons because some of data is a little perplexing and missing. :confused: Of course, I wonder if it's because when I started this session I thought my workout had been downloaded when in fact I had started last Wednesday's custom workout and just let it keep going thinking I could override the intervals with my lap button. :confused: Bottom line, two of my "on" intervals are missing.

And more bad news....the paces that were recorded are not very uniform. The field is perhaps not the best place to do spiffy intervals due to the nature of the surface, plus the wind was quite gusty and hitting me head on, and I also think my head just wasn't in this today. I need to work on my mental toughness with intervals, especially when I am faced with 10 of them.

Interval paces:
    6:33, 6:57, 6:40, ???, 7:02, 6:54, ???, 6:43, 7:00, 6:41

Actual: 5.55 miles in 50:30.56 for an average pace of 9:06 min/mile*
    *These numbers are off some due to technical difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Twas a lot like a fartlek session ;)

Twas a lot like a fartlek session ;)

Well hush my puppy, it twas!! :o;)

Yoga

The heading says it all - yoga. I'm starting to feel a bit like Gumby, getting all stretchy and flexible like that lovable green bendable character. :D

Then followed the yoga up with Oryx's nasty core workout. Still can't do the handstand very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Question: What training plan are you following ... all the short/fast stuff has me curious.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Question: What training plan are you following ... all the short/fast stuff has me curious.

After having done the FIRST plan for my first two marathons (it served me very well for my first marathon, got bored with it for my second) I went looking at other plans - all the ones you folks are familiar with - but none of them really blew my skirt up (I'm sure in part due to my lack of running knowledge and experience). But the one plan I had been looking in on periodically and thought was interesting and well explained (and with a totally different approach than the FIRST plan) was the one Ecoli had written for the DCM group....so I asked Ecoli a few questions and told him my goals, then he offered to write one for me. I snatched that up like a plate of chocolate covered Oreo cookies!!! It's a 24 week plan...and so far I am loving it for many reasons....and I dig his (logical/thoughtful) approach to training. Will it translate into a 3:30 for me in Boston?? I have no idea, but all I can do is try.....and as I said, I am loving the training so far, and that is SO important when you've committed so much time to doing something. :)

• Advertisement

Moonlight Meander

Gorgeous, crisp evening!! A simply perfect night to go for a run about town...but I shook it up a bit. I have a few basic routes I like to do in town at night (I tend to do these basic routes due to safety reasons and to satisfy my need to run uphill), but tonight I opted to run some of the hardest hills in the first few miles instead of running them in last few miles - and boy does it does it feel so much easier running hills on fresh legs!! Woo hoo - these thighs were muscling their way uphill like they had been tapering for two weeks. :) In fact, the legs felt fresh-as-daisies until about 5 miles into the run when they started to feel a bit tired, but I just kept them ticking over at the very steady pace they had been ticking over at....and to my delight, this run ended up being very steady in pace and a solid easy run overall. :D

Actual: 6.15 miles in 52:26.08 for an average pace of 8:31 mim/mile
    9:03, 8:23, 8:27, 8:25, 8:32, 8:22, 1:12 (8:19)

Garmin link -
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/247982152

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you can't handstand do the wall walk as repeats. I did that on Monday with pull ups, alternating.

Doesn't seem fair that I didn't do yours...

Oryx wrote: »
    If you can't handstand do the wall walk as repeats. I did that on Monday with pull ups, alternating.

Doesn't seem fair that I didn't do yours...

I'll keep your wall walk repeats in mind....and yes, it doesn't seem fair that you didn't do mine. :(

Very strange....I've noticed that I never get a notification when you post anything anywhere any more. :(:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Maybe its because I always log on in stealth mode?

I turned off all notifications years ago.... My email would go non stop!

I got that notification!!! ;)

Saturday Morning Run

Plan: 2 miles easy, 4 miles HM pace

When I left the clinic this morning with my running gear on I didn't totally have a route planned out so I just sort of started running.....into town.....with tons of traffic whizzing by me....which made me not want to have to deal with crazy people behind the wheels of cars who don't like to slow down or move over or politely share the road with those of us who choose to spend our Saturday mornings in runners, lycra and silly hats. So, I trotted on down to the Greenway where there are no cars to worry about, only old people bundled in wool and young couples pushing strollers.

To summarize the HM pace portion of the run:

The first mile was way too fast - 7.25. Slowed the second mile down to closer to where is should be, but was dealing with a stitch in my right side - 7.42. Dealt with a few demons who were telling me to stop and take a quick break to stretch and catch my breath because I felt this was more effort than I cared for on a Saturday morning, but kept going at a steady pace - 7.39. The last mile brought with it some good old fashioned nausea, but I kept it at bay knowing I was less than 8 minutes from slowing this train down - 7.34.

Overall, the fast 4 miles were actually too fast for my HM pace, and I knew when I was running them that there was no way in hell that I'd ever be able to sustain that pace for 13.1 miles. The one troubling thing for me, however, is I did those 4 miles on some pretty flat ground - I'd feel better about the effort factor if I had done them on hills. But, I guess that's just where I am right now.

Took a quick break to stretch and visit the loo before starting my slow trot back to the clinic....but then I realized how thirsty I was, and how much I really wanted a nice cold cup of water. I knew I had to pass a shop a friend of mine owns on my way back, so I bummed a cup of water off of her. Of course she wanted to gab while my body was cooling down and getting cold from my sweat, but eventially I broke away and jogged quite easily and gently on back the way I came.

Actual: 8.16 miles in 1:08:15 for an average pace of 8:22 min/mile
    (2 miles easy, 4 miles closer to tempo pace, 2.16 miles easy)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248280572

Yoga

Saturday evening yoga with resident master yogi, Norris the cat. He's such a showoff making each stretch look so easy while vacillating between pure boredom and confident superiority.

Sunday Morning Group Run

Plan: 12 miles easy

Not totally sure what prompted me to do this, but last Monday I posted on Facebook an inquiry to local friends to see if there was an interest in doing any group runs....and to my pleasant surprise there were many positive responses. It didn't hurt that I suggested we all get a hot cup of cocoa and a bite to eat afterwards at a local fave, but it was immediately decided that we'd hit the streets of town this morning in various stages to accommodate as many interested runners as we could (translation: to accommodate all abilities by offering a 12 mile, 6 mile, and 3 mile run option). I knew paces would be a bit tricky, but I figured that would work itself out, and it did. The basic plan was, at 9:45 the 12 mile group would hit the pavement for the first 6 miles.....then we'd pick up the next group (the 6 milers) at 10:45 for the next 3 miles.....then we'd pick up the final group (the 3 milers) at 11:15 for the final leg of the run. Other than the actual distances being a little longer than I estimated, this was a blast.

We had 6 people in our initial group, and there had been some concern by a few of the of the runners in this group that doing 9 min/miles might be a little too hot for them, but I told them we'd keep it easy and target 9:30 for a few miles and take it from there. Everyone seemed pretty jazzed to be a part of this run, spirits and conversations were high, and the pace naturally picked up for everyone as our bodies warmed up and we all settled in. I did have to slow it down a little after someone complained gently commented on mile 4 that we were no longer at 9:30 pace. Oopsie! :o9:19, 9:18, 9:03, 8:38, 8:52, 9:09

Our 12 mile train pulled into the station with 3 minutes to spare and the 6 mile runners were waiting on our arrival....so without too much fuss, we all headed off together to run to a local park with a mulched trail. We hit one pretty solid hill on our way that I know took its toll on a few in our group, but to their credit, they kept chugging forward, one foot in front of the other, faces red and breathing a bit labored...but they kept at it. :) I tried to remind them that what goes up must come down, and that on our return we'd be greeted with this lovely downhill we all could coast on. This section turned out to be 3.55 miles, so we were a few minutes late picking up our final group. 8:43, 8:54, 8:59, 8:55

The last group seemed a bit antsy when we arrived 2 minutes later than anticipated, but we quickly decided on a route (we went flat and easy for this last section as this final group had the most challenged of runners and some of my 12 mile peeps were starting to fade on me) and off we went - as one unified group. It wasn't long, however, that our one big group became several smaller groups, and that was fine - everyone seemed to be having fun. There were just 3 of us in my lead group - one of the 12 milers, and one of the 6 milers, but my 12 miler was beginning to die on me with less than 2 miles to go - I could hear him huffing and puffing and he had stopped talking (and he's quite the jabber box!!)....so I tried a few tricks to help him out of his funk and struggles, but it wasn't really until I told him we'd stop at Ruffner Plaza (which, at this point, was less than a mile away), do some stretches, then walk the rest of the way to grab a bite to eat did I seem to rescue him from his downward spiral. Whew! Worked like a charm though....and I was even able to up the pace on that last mile without him complaining or fading. ;)8:55, 8:58, 8:43

Actual: 13.1 miles in 1:57:17 for an average pace of 8:57 min/mile

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248796031

Trainer

20 miles on tired legs, but the legs felt better with each passing, spinning, increasing-in-speed mile. I kept the resistance low for an assortment of reasons, and the legs are thanking me now for that. It's magic, what a spin like this can do. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Trainer

20 miles on tired legs, but the legs felt better with each passing, spinning, increasing-in-speed mile. I kept the resistance low for an assortment of reasons, and the legs are thanking me now for that. It's magic, what a spin like this can do. :)

Sure is. I must bring the bike back into my programme once the body has adapted to the run volume. Great how a short easy leg spinner can set up the next day's run. Are you missing your pool as much as Im missing the bike?

Advertisement