Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    My brother put a new saddle on my bike since I kept complaining about how sore my fanny would become after a workout on it, and because he said the old saddle was totally wrong for me - he said it was too narrow and too soft.

So many innuendos, so little time :p
    Was hoping to do a few bike/run sessions myself this week, but fighting off a chesty cough, fingers crossed I get a few in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    So many innuendos, so little time.

Seems George Bernard Shaw was right afterall.
    Yes I know this isn't England but the way the Euro is going....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    So many innuendos, so little time :p
    Seems George Bernard Shaw was right afterall.
    Yes I know this isn't England but the way the Euro is going....

And to think, I was so focused on the term @ss hammock! ;)

Key workout #2 - tempo - tonight. My intention is to do most/all of these tempo runs in proper outdoor fashion, but due to weather and the fact that I am fighting off a nagging cold, I decided it might be best to do this in my climate controlled basement on the treadie. The plan called for 1 mile easy, 5 miles at 8:05 pace, 1 mile easy.

Popped on the iPod to my favorite treadmill tunes and hit the start button. The first mile was an easy 10 min/mile pace, then amped it up to 8 min/mile for the next 5 miles. I felt really good for the first mile, so I decided to add a little incline to keep me honest and challenged. Still feeling good after two miles, so a little more incline. Another mile down, another nod on the incline. It was at about halfway through this fourth mile that the waves of nausea made their appearance and the demons started whispering, making it tempting to give in to the soft and squishy land of compromise and failure. I dug deep into my bag of tricks...tricks such as distracting myself with the music to get my mind off my body...tricks such as forcing my body to relax while opening up my gait, convincing myself that this is just an easy run.....tricks such as reminding myself that no one else gives a rat's arse if I do this workout properly or not, but my success or failure will be reflected in my final performance.....and tricks such as hearing dpop's declaration that "it's only pain", thus defining it as an intangible thing that can be overcome with the proper attitude. Plus, it's only 5 miles. At 8 min/mile. On a treadmill. With the mill doing all the work. I was just moving my legs involuntarily. Right? Last mile was an easy 10 min/pace.

Upon reflection of how tonight's session pushed me, I'm not sure I could have done this in proper fashion outdoors. I don't know if I would have had it in me. The treadmill set the pace, and I had to keep up. And I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm not sure I could have done this in proper fashion outdoors. I don't know if I would have had it in me. .

Only one way to find out

• Advertisement

Only one way to find out

Yes, and while last night's session has come and gone, I do have 14 more tempo runs until the marathon so I have plenty of opportunities to put the rubber to the pavement on Key Workout #2 nights. But I guess for me the bigger question is...is there more value in trying but failing to hit your targets on a proper outdoor run on a night when you are fighting illness and holiday fatigue.....OR, is forcing yourself to hit your targets by utilizing the automation and mechanics of a treadmill better from both a physical and psychological standpoint under those circumstances? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You only have to worry about that if you fail.

RayCun wrote: »
    You only have to worry about that if you fail.

I like that answer. :)

After being properly jazzed by jackyback's musical techno-teaser that he assembled for me (thank you jb!), I was more than psyched to attack the trainer for 60 minutes and the treadmill for 30 minutes in my evening's brick session. Loving the brick.....loving the feeling of the transition....loving the arse hammock. The run on the treadie was 3.36 miles at 8:55 pace. While I did not have the likes of 2 Unlimited or Tiesto pulsating through my iPod, I did have the sharply energetic beat of Nickelback as my partner in crime for tonight's very solid session.

Tomorrow is a rest day, then Saturday will be a 15 miler at 9:30 pace. I imagine I will have to make a sincere effort to go out slower than I usually do to successfully complete this run in good form. I will be meeting hills, so I will have to factor that into my approach to ensure the final talley is at target pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Glad you enjoyed the tunes, good luck with the 15miler.

• Advertisement

Okay...don't know if was all the tune talk on jb's thread, but I had an AWESOME 15 miler just now. (I'm still in my gear while writing this...slightly jazzed.) Yes, the day weather-wise is perfect, and yes, I've eaten nothing but crap for the last two weeks....but other than those two things, all I can say is I felt great. I tried to slow myself down after the first mile, but after 3 miles I said screw it....so I relaxed and enjoyed myself. Never did I feel stressed and never did I pant (until the last mile, which was my fastest). I would say I felt comfortably pushed.

The plan I am doing called for a 9:30 pace for 15 miles.....but the end result was 15 miles in 8:31. The splits are as follows:

8:17, 8:27, 8:47, 8:40, 8:39, 8:41, 8:55, 8:40, 8:23, 8:24, 8:43, 8:24, 8:29, 8:11, 8:03

I hit several hills and did just fine on them. Thought of them as just a flat surface at an incline. I will post my Garmin info later because I am interested to see what my total climb was for today. Woo hoo!!!

Happy new year! :)

A perfectly dark, dreary and rainy day for a recovery run/jog in my field to start the new year. I donned my very bright and berry raincoat for this jaunt, and I chuckled at the contrast of my perky color against the ominous sky. The only thing that was missing to complete the urgent mood of the weather was a good, strong wind.

6.13 easy miles in 59:25.25 for a relaxing pace of 9.41/mile.

Happy New Year to everyone!

I see many of you keep track of your workout totals, so I've been inspired to do the same. I don't know how to do any fancy charts, graphs or schedules, but I certainly know how to add, subtract and type into memo format. Since I am just into week three of my marathon training, my starting point will be with that first week of the 16 week plan.

Week 16 training totals, Dec 17 - Dec 24, 2011:
    Run - 35.78 miles, 5:13:11, 8:45 min/mile avg pace
    Spin - 1:00:00
    Swim - 3600 yards, 1:15:00
    Yoga - 1:30:00
    Total time spent in motion - 8:58:11 (6 out of 8 days)

Week 15 training totals, Dec 25 - Dec 31, 2011:
    Run - 40.75 miles, 5:58:21, 8:47 min/mile avg pace
    Spin - 2:00:00
    Swim - sadly, none
    Yoga - 1:30:00
    Total time spent in motion - 9:28:21 (6 out of 7days)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

You did a much better job of sticking to your marathon training over the holidays than me :) It's going great from the looks of it! Happy (belated) New Year :)

You did a much better job of sticking to your marathon training over the holidays than me :) It's going great from the looks of it! Happy (belated) New Year :)

Perhaps your social schedule was a little livelier than mine. ;) Happy New Year to you. I look forward to reading about your swimming progress in the new year.

Key workout #1 of the week tonight, so that meant a crazy interval session on my beloved treadie. These interval sessions are new territory for me and definitely push my limits, but that's fine with me - always love a challenge.

Per the plan:
    10 to 20 minute warmup, then intervals as follows w/ 200 meters recovery:
    1200 meters at 7:05 min/mile pace
    1000 meters at 7:03 min/mile pace
    800 meters at 7:00 min/mile pace
    600 meters at 6:55 min/mile pace
    400 meters at 6:50 min/mile pace
    200 meters at ??? min/mile pace
    10 minute cool down

Higher mathematics were employed the night before to convert the paces and mileage into treadmill-user-friendly format (some rounding and concessions were made, but all to the faster pace as to keep me honest), and results were written on a piece of paper I taped to the treadie. All targets were met, but not without plenty of chanting under my breath...relax, relax....breathe, breathe.... I found it interesting how the pace of each new interval was easier and easier to stride.

Actual intervals:
    1200 meters at 6:58 pace
    1000 meters at 6:58 pace
    800 meters at 6:58 pace
    600 meters at 6:54 pace
    400 meters at 6:49 pace
    200 meters at 6:40 pace

Total tally: 5.61 miles in 50 minutes for 8:54 min/mile pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Hi Dory Dory, I'm following the FIRST plan for 10km, The guys who wrote these plans really know how to put the boot in! It's just hard enough that you'll bust a gut, but not so hard that you'll quit! Sure 1200m isn't an interval that's a race.

Donelson wrote: »
    Hi Dory Dory, I'm following the FIRST plan for 10km, The guys who wrote these plans really know how to put the boot in! It's just hard enough that you'll bust a gut, but not so hard that you'll quit! Sure 1200m isn't an interval that's a race.

Hey! So far I'm loving this plan - and I totally agree with your assessment that while the plan is challenging (like trying not to puke during intervals), it's not so crazy out of reach of meeting the targets if you want to. Sort of like conditioning your body and your mind. Best of luck to you on your 10km. When/what is your target race and goal time?

Higher mathematics were employed the night before to convert the paces and mileage into treadmill-user-friendly format (some rounding and concessions were made, but all to the faster pace as to keep me honest), and results were written on a piece of paper I taped to the treadie. All targets were met, but not without plenty of chanting under my breath...relax, relax....breathe, breathe.... I found it interesting how the pace of each new interval was easier and easier to stride.

Actual intervals:
    1200 meters at 6:58 pace
    1000 meters at 6:58 pace
    800 meters at 6:58 pace
    600 meters at 6:54 pace
    400 meters at 6:49 pace
    200 meters at 6:40 pace

Total tally: 5.61 miles in 50 minutes for 8:54 min/mile pace

NICE session, laughted at the higher maths bit :)

NICE session, laughted at the higher maths bit :)

It was serious stuff going on. Calculator out....pencil and eraser. I'm so anal when it comes to certain things. :eek:

Hey...I'm swimming this weekend. Any killer workout suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

This will be right up your street I would say!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056502021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Hey! So far I'm loving this plan - and I totally agree with your assessment that while the plan is challenging (like trying not to puke during intervals), it's not so crazy out of reach of meeting the targets if you want to. Sort of like conditioning your body and your mind. Best of luck to you on your 10km. When/what is your target race and goal time?

My race is the ninth of March so 14 weeks out. I would love any kind of PB (<38:14) but I suspect that’s a leap to far.
    One strange thing about the FIRST plan is it doesn’t specify a target time for 10km races. This I find really confusing!

Best of luck with your training in 2012, I’ll keep an eye on your log for some inspiration.

Donelson wrote: »
    My race is the ninth of March so 14 weeks out. I would love any kind of PB (<38:14) but I suspect that’s a leap to far.
    One strange thing about the FIRST plan is it doesn’t specify a target time for 10km races. This I find really confusing!

Best of luck with your training in 2012, I’ll keep an eye on your log for some inspiration.

Hmmm.....9th of March? That's a Friday, right? 2012? My math skills are pretty well honed at the moment...gosh, and I'm coming up with that date of your race being 9 weeks out and not 14. :eek: Yikes! As they say around here...HTFU! ;) You'll be fine. ...relax, relax....breathe, breathe... Seriously, you'll be fine. And I'll definitely be following your log and sending you some good mojo on your race day!! Best that PB!!

catweazle wrote: »
    This will be right up your street I would say!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056502021

I'm just a sheep and you're herding me right along. I still hate cold water!

Brick session tonight, and because I've thrown my hat in the SBR Challenge 2012 ring, I had my hubby hookup my odometer to track my mileage while on the trainer (usually in just track my time). I had my trusty tunes, and I had both the Capitals skating on ice AND my Virginia Tech Hokies playing in the Sugar Bowl. Add to that my excitement of the SBR Challenge and I felt like it was Christmas all over again.

Bike - 60 minutes for 16.21 miles
    Treadmill - 42:20 minutes for 5 miles, 8:26 pace.

Caps up 3-1 with only 3 min to go, Hokies up 6-0 in 2nd quarter. Woo hoo! :)

Hey...I'm swimming this weekend. Any killer workout suggestions??

You are asking me :confused: Surely you have a notebook full of them?!

Also you swim all of the strokes so I'd have no clue what to do for fly, back stroke sets etc.. :o

You are asking me :confused: Surely you have a notebook full of them?!

Also you swim all of the strokes so I'd have no clue what to do for fly, back stroke sets etc.. :o

Notebooks? Yes, so many I've had to file them by year, index them by stroke, and cross reference them by degree of difficulty. ;) Nah, just always looking for new ideas. Plus, I was hoping you'd drop the adorable little term "tumble turn" on my thread.

Notebooks? Yes, so many I've had to file them by year, index them by stroke, and cross reference them by degree of difficulty. ;) Nah, just always looking for new ideas. Plus, I was hoping you'd drop the adorable little term "tumble turn" on my thread.

Well since you are an IM swimmer it could be a nice varied 3k set like

500 choice warm up
    150/100/50 steady Fly with 10 sec rest
    100 Fly hard, 1 min rest
    150/100/50 steady B/stroke with 10 sec rest
    100 B/stroke hard, 1 min rest
    150/100/50 steady Back with 10 sec rest
    100 Back hard, 1 min rest
    150/100/50 steady F/C with 10 sec rest
    100 F/C hard with tumble turns LOL, 1 min rest
    200 IM easy, 2 min rest
    400 IM hard
    300 choice cool down

Well since you are an IM swimmer it could be a nice varied 3k set like

500 choice warm up
    150/100/50 steady Fly with 10 sec rest
    100 Fly hard, 1 min rest
    150/100/50 steady B/stroke with 10 sec rest
    100 B/stroke hard, 1 min rest
    150/100/50 steady Back with 10 sec rest
    100 Back hard, 1 min rest
    150/100/50 steady F/C with 10 sec rest
    100 F/C hard with tumble turns LOL, 1 min rest
    200 IM easy, 2 min rest
    400 IM hard
    300 choice cool down

Going right to the gut, eh? Why waste time with a freestyle session when you can work on your butterfly? And forget the pull buoy and kickboard...but here's an idea - let's make that butterfly with one foot out of the water just for sh*ts and giggles. ;) Awwww...but look at the little gem you have dangling before me - the prize that awaits me after the heart of the workout - the ever adorable, if not flipilicious, tumble turn. You really know how to treat a gal right, shotgun. (did he really say "tumble turn"?:eek::cool:;))

It may be a few weeks before I tackle this particular workout, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do! Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Going right to the gut, eh? Why waste time with a freestyle session when you can work on your butterfly? And forget the pull buoy and kickboard... :)

You can use the toys in the foreplay warm up ;)

Advertisement