Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sunday Morning Group Run

Plan: 12 miles easy

Not totally sure what prompted me to do this, but last Monday I posted on Facebook an inquiry to local friends to see if there was an interest in doing any group runs....and to my pleasant surprise there were many positive responses.
    Sounds like you just founded the Luray Athetics Club! When will you be building the club track in your field? :) More incentive to come visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sure is. I must bring the bike back into my programme once the body has adapted to the run volume. Great how a short easy leg spinner can set up the next day's run. Are you missing your pool as much as Im missing the bike?

I am missing my pool like mad....but I've got my ducks in a row - I'll be crossing the finish line in Boston about the time the pool cover is being pulled back. Sort of my reward for a disciplined marathon training cycle. :D
    Sounds like you just founded the Luray Athetics Club! When will you be building the club track in your field? :) More incentive to come visit!

You could be right. Let me know what kind of track surface your pretty little feet in their pretty little shoes prefer to run on as I will aim to make them feet happy!!! ;) I'll even offer you some free swimming lessons, but you have to bring your fancy watch so I can play with it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

After having done the FIRST plan for my first two marathons (it served me very well for my first marathon, got bored with it for my second) I went looking at other plans - all the ones you folks are familiar with - but none of them really blew my skirt up (I'm sure in part due to my lack of running knowledge and experience). But the one plan I had been looking in on periodically and thought was interesting and well explained (and with a totally different approach than the FIRST plan) was the one Ecoli had written for the DCM group....so I asked Ecoli a few questions and told him my goals, then he offered to write one for me. I snatched that up like a plate of chocolate covered Oreo cookies!!! It's a 24 week plan...and so far I am loving it for many reasons....and I dig his (logical/thoughtful) approach to training. Will it translate into a 3:30 for me in Boston?? I have no idea, but all I can do is try.....and as I said, I am loving the training so far, and that is SO important when you've committed so much time to doing something. :)

You're so right with that last statement. I'm doing this too, so we can't go wrong. Ecoli is great at explaining things and knows his stuff, no pressure but great things will be expected from us!!;)

I really enjoyed the last marathon cycle of training and looking forwarded to getting stuck into this one when the body starts behaving!!:(
    The variation will be great when we start doing more marathon specific training in a while.:D

Evening Town Run

Plan: 6 miles easy

Gorgeous, gorgeous day.....72 degrees.....:eek:.....in December???

Highlights as follows:

Had to stop at one of the two traffic lights in town as it had turned from green to yellow to red as I approached and there were too many vehicles for me to be a law breaker and run the light, and that just never happens to me! :confused:

Nearly got run over by Evil Knievil on a moped as he was turning into the local 7-11.....no doubt to pick up his evening fix of either Pabst Blue Ribbon or Schlitz Malt Liquor. Barf.

Tripped over a sidewalk, but gracefully caught myself before face met concrete....thank you mom for making me take ballet as a little girl. :)

Was totally disappointed when I didn't get to clock my speed at the mobile digital vehicle speed monitor that the local police had set up on Court Street...Mr. Policeman was turning it off as I rounded the corner and heading downhill. :(

Had three idiots in a crappy, beatup truck scare the sh*t out of me by honking, hooting and hollering at me as they screeched by. Way to keep it classy fellas.

What started out as an easy run ended up being a bit more of an effort on miles 5 and 6 due to some fatigue still being felt in the legs from the weekend. I hope Mr. Fairy-Dust-Man can stop by my house tonight and sprinkle some magic leg-rejuvenating fairy dust on my legs because I have a pretty healthy session to put down tomorrow. Gah.

Actual: 6.11 miles in 53:42.76 for an average pace of 8:47 min/mile.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249468146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Had to stop at one of the two traffic lights in town as it had turned from green to yellow to red as I approached and there were too many vehicles for me to be a law breaker and run the light, and that just never happens to me! :confused:

Ah yes, jaywalking. Go to any Irish area in America and witness the head-scratching as a fresh-off-the-boat Green Carder is told by a cop that he can't cross any road at any time and any place of his choosing. Red lights don't apply to runners (or bikers or walkers or old ladies...) over here.

• Advertisement

Sneaky Mid-Day Run

Plan: 2 miles easy, 4x1 mile @ 10k pace, 2 miles easy (recovery between the 1 miles is 75% of reps)

I started to compute the math last night to estimate the time and distance of today's session....and good golly, I came up with about 9.5 miles and about 90 minutes. :eek: On a weekday??? :eek: On my tired little legs?? :eek: Crap. I guess this is what Ecoli meant when he said this phase is to build strength and endurance. Okay....so off I went.....from the house into town and down to the Greenway (I conceded a little by doing the spiffy stuff on a nice surface and fairly flat).

Session summary as follows:

- The warmup was lovely.

- Took a quick stretch and sip of water when I arrived at the Greenway before blasting off on my first 1 mile at 10K pace....which I estimated to be around 7:30 min/mile....which I had programmed into my watch, along with the rest of the workout....which then prompted the watch to beep almost constantly at me to tell me I was going too fast.....

- I felt better and was faster with each passing 10k pace mile - times were, in order: 7:33, 7:26, 7:23, 7:14.

- Really embraced the meaning of recovery.

- Took a quick stretch and water break after the last fast mile.

- Saw dear, sweet Mrs. Dugans walking her dog on my cool down (she's like 102 years old and never applies her very red lipstick correctly, which makes me wonder what her coloring book would look like) and I had to stop to talk to her as she was SO excited to see me...and she just HAD to ask me about the Boston Marathon (she used to live in Boston).....and she VERY seriously grabbed me and looked me in the eyes and asked, "just what are you going to do if you win Boston??" OMG....don't you just love old people who think you're the best?? :)

Great session overall. Very pleased with how much easier each fast mile got for me. It's funny, I would qualify this session as one of my harder sessions thus far in this plan, but it wasn't hard because of the intervals - it was hard because of the time on my feet. Again, I guess this is the strength and endurance part of the plan rearing its ugly little head.

Actual: 10.13 miles in 1:28:04 for an average pace 8:41 min/mile
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249512807

Yoga

Yoga for Cats.....er, I mean, Yoga for Runners. Felt like a jungle gym again with Norris using me as monkey bars and swing set. I needed the stretching tonight...oh boy did I need it! I have been dealing with a tight and slightly painful left glute/hamstring for a while now. Yoga definitely helps this, but (and this will sound craaaazy) it sort of feels like I've got two competing muscles that are sort of tangled with each other. :confused: I'm sure that's not the case....but that's the best way I can explain it.

Easy Evening Trot About Town

Plan: 6 easy miles

The plan when I met up with my friend to tackle the streets of Luray was to go E-A-S-Y on this run. I honestly wasn't bothered if our pace was as slow as 9 to 9:30 min/mile, so we just trotted on our merry little way without a care in the world and chatting the entire time. We chatted on Main Street, we chatted on all the dark side streets that had things moving in the shadows that we couldn't see but could hear, we chatted on the uneven sidewalks with cracks in them, we chatted on the highway I never run on due to it being too dangerous for sane people to run on, we chatted in the dark tunnel we ran through like the idiots we were, we chatted on all the hills I hadn't planned on running up on this easy run, we chatted in the unlit field we cut through and couldn't see the ground below us, we chatted as we trespassed on school property, and we chatted as we trespassed at Ralph Dean Park. We chatted a lot. And I never looked at my watch. And when I finally looked at my watch to write this report I was taken with how even my splits were, especially with the uneven terrain and varying grades we met. Not a bad easy run overall, I guess. :)

Actual: 6.43 miles in 57:04.64 for an average pace of 8:52 min/mile
    9:04, 9:00, 8:51, 8:52, 8:52, 8:51, 3:31 (8:11 :confused::D)

Will post Garmin tomorrow....
    Garmin....http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249905927

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice post! The breeze shooting, numbers and smiles were worthy of RedB's log :-) Very tight between you and excusequeen in the SBR eh!

Easy Run on Fresh Legs

Plan: 5 miles easy, 6 x 80m strides

For the first time in over a week I actually woke up to fresh legs. (Friday is my rest day.) YAY! So with a little exra skip in my step, I trotted off to do my Saturday morning easy run. Jetted out of the clinic and up the first hill...keeping it easy.....then down Main Street and past the automotive place that looks pretty junky.....keeping it easy and singing to myself.....then down the hill by the 7-11 and up the hill to the cemetary.....keeping it oh-so easy and feeling like a million bucks....and I take a quick peek at my watch to see if I am on target for my 8:30 to 9 min/mile easy pace, and :eek: !!! Oopsie.....I am at 8:04 :o. And I really wasn't even trying. So...slowed it a bit, and first mile was...8:10.

Knowing I've got a 10 mile steady run to do tomorrow, I made a sincere effort to get the pace down and keep things relaxed, but I just never got the pace to where I really wanted it. The second mile had some pretty good hills in it, so the pace did come down to 8:28. The next mile I picked up a running companion in the form of a very lively border collie who was delighted to show off her superior agility and speed. She trotted behind me, she trotted beside me, she jumped a rock wall to speed through a grassy yard and met me on the other side of a hedge, she trotted above me on a hill, and she waited for me when I couldn't keep up with her. I stopped briefly to give her a pat on the head and a rub on the belly, and then I told her she needed to go back home. She sat there while I continued on, then when I looked behind me, she was heading home. :)8:20.

By mile four I was dripping in sweat - I had way overdressed. I unzipped both of my tops (they are 1/4 zips!) and yanked off my gloves....and the run was beginning to require a little more effort, so I eased it a bit and relaxed it down. There were a few nice hills in this mile, which brought the pace to 8:25. The last mile was pretty blah. I decided I would slow it down even more, but due to the lack of any significant hills, the pace stayed too fast at 8:19.

Actual: 5.01 miles in 41:47 for an average pace of 8:20 min/mile
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/250180381

The strides were good....I goofed up the watch between stride 1 and 2 - didn't hit lap so it accumulated the time and distance, but I remember seeing the pace for the first stride (and could probably compute the pace for the second stride, but...eh...).....stride 3 was decent....stride 4 was slow (haven't a clue why???).....stride 5 was okay....and on stride 6 I decided to lower my body slightly to get more of a push off the ground and I think it really must've done something because that was by far my fastest paced stride. :D

Stride paces: 5:46, ??, 5:25, 7:16, 5:50, 4:51

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Really enjoying hearing all about your runs Dory. Will I ever get to a point where its all so easy and I struggle to run slowly like you? Dont think so. Still it sounds great :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Really enjoying hearing all about your runs Dory. Will I ever get to a point where its all so easy and I struggle to run slowly like you? Dont think so. Still it sounds great :)

Ohhhh....you're one I've got my eye on. With your bubbly attitude, ability to plod ahead under just about any kind of circumstance, and willingness to tackle any sort of challenge without fear of failure, I predict some really great things from you in 2013. I think you will surprise yourself. ;):D

Ohhhh....you're one I've got my eye on. With your bubbly attitude, ability to plod ahead under just about any kind of circumstance, and willingness to tackle any sort of challenge without fear of failure, I predict some really great things from you in 2013. I think you will surprise yourself. ;):D

Jeez thanks Dory that's so nice of you to say. We will see. It wont be for lack of trying anyway :)

Jeez thanks Dory that's so nice of you to say. We will see. It wont be for lack of trying anyway :)

And that's what I'm talking about. ;)

Rainy Day Run

Plan: 10 miles steady

I had been dreading this run ever since I spotted it on the plan a few weeks ago. I've really been loving the longish easy runs and the stuff with short, fast intervals, but this run meant I was going to have to put together back to back miles at a respectable pace...and for some reason I was having a mental block about this. I even emailed Ecoli earlier this week looking for a little pep talk, and he wisely reminded me that "steady" had to do with effort, and that I should target a pace somewhere between easy and MP. Knowing my easy is usually between 8:30 and 9....and knowing my MP is either 8:20 (actual, last marathon - and is the pace I'm supposed to be using for this phase of the plan) or 8 (where I'd like to be, but not the pace I'm supposed to be using for this phase of the plan :o)....I decided I'd target 8:15 to 8:30 for today's run.

Got up this morning feeling yesterday's run in my legs and back (or at least I thought I could feel it). Ugh, not a good sign. I also had to take a friend out for a full breakfast in honor of her birthday this morning, not something I usually do before a run. And, it was raining, windy, dark and dreary - and all I wanted to do was go home and go back to bed. I had totally convinced myself that this would be a poor run, but I reasoned that 10 crappy miles was better than zero miles, so off I went with all of my excuses, into the rain and wind and up the first hill with my body protesting and my breathing already slightly labored, then I told myself to just relax and get the job done.

First mile was horrible. On one hand it took way too much effort, but on the other hand I didn't care enough to put out the effort. 8:56. Next mile was better....still didn't put too much into it, but pace was much improved at 8:28. Third mile felt great. I looked at my watch about a third of the way through this mile and pace read 7:17. Oops!! Way too hot, so I slowed it down some, but I also knew I had a few hills ahead of me that would assist in that regard. I also had to stop briefly to shoo a dog that was following me out of the road while I stopped traffic. What is it with dogs following me?? Any way, 8:16.

Next two miles felt good, and I kept good form with my arms in particular to help me keep my pace with as little effort as possible. 8:12, 8:22. On mile 6 I crossed paths with a fellow I see running quite a bit so I hooked up with him for the next two miles. I don't know that he was particularly thrilled to have some idiot chatting his ear off asking him all sorts of questions - do you ever run in races?.....have you ever thought about running a marathon??....you really should, you've got the build and the form.....blah, blah, blah.... I've never spoken to him before today, but I kept at his pace for mile 6 and 7, then let him go because it was faster than I had intended. The funny thing is, as soon as I told him I was letting him go, he very happily kicked it into another gear and effortlessly was out of my sight. 8:06, 8:02.

I slowed it down on mile 8, but started wanting the run to be over. Wished I only had 1.5 miles to go instead of 2.5 miles to go. 8:23. Then a funny thing happened on mile 9, I kicked it up a notch and it felt good and it felt manageable. 8:02. Then I decided I'd keep that same effort going, and then I decided I'd add some effort to that already existing effort...and then I decided I would go for a sub 8 min/mile pace for this last mile. It took a bit of a push, but the last mile was 7:53. :D I immediately slowed my pace down (to a 10:04 :o) and jogged it back to the car happy to have this session over and pleased with how the run went.

Actual: 10.6 miles in 1:28:19 for an average pace of 8:22 min/mile.

Will post Garmin tomorrow.

That's very like a progression run (progressively getting faster). Finishing with that amount of energy would suggest you're underestimating what you can do pace wise. Take out those two slower first miles and you are looking at a steady pace of 8:10 or so. Nice place to be this far before your goal race.

I saw this on the swimming forum and remembered your comments on him during the Olympics :)

Ryan Lochte may be cute and a talented swimmer, but he's as dumb as a box of rocks. Michael Phelps is leaps and bounds ahead of this joker in all respects. :)

Golden Session

Plan: cross train

If it's Monday, then it must be 20 miles on the trainer in my basement while listening to some loud and obnoxious music (Staind, Saliva, Papa Roach, Seether, Hinder....). Hit the gold bike level in the SBR Challenge (I'd like to thank all the little people in my life who made this moment possible....), meaning I have triple gold, meaning I may need to change my hair color and skin tone while considering coordinating nail polish and eye shadow and lip gloss if I have to wear nothing but gold from here until the end of the year (that is in the fine print, isn't it?), meaning success isn't as easy as it looks. ;)

Actual: 20 miles on the trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Golden Session

Plan: cross train

If it's Monday, then it must be 20 miles on the trainer in my basement while listening to some loud and obnoxious music (Staind, Saliva, Papa Roach, Seether, Hinder....). Hit the gold bike level in the SBR Challenge (I'd like to thank all the little people in my life who made this moment possible....), meaning I have triple gold, meaning I may need to change my hair color and skin tone while considering coordinating nail polish and eye shadow and lip gloss if I have to wear nothing but gold from here until the end of the year (that is in the fine print, isn't it?), meaning success isn't as easy as it looks. ;)

Actual: 20 miles on the trainer

Woo hoo! Super congrats on the Golden status:D
    If I were able to post links to Youtube I would post one of Spandeau Ballet singing "Gold" especially for you, instead I will just have to sing it while I type;)

• Advertisement

Dóry Daury Dory

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And Im just plum bummed I wont make it to three golds. :(*

Well done, do I get to call you a Golden Girl now? :)

*Got to keep up with KG here.

Marthastew wrote: »
    Woo hoo! Super congrats on the Golden status:D
    If I were able to post links to Youtube I would post one of Spandeau Ballet singing "Gold" especially for you, instead I will just have to sing it while I type;)

:D:D:D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Dóry Daury Dory

Such a brilliantly creative tease. Now, where do I pick up my award? (There are awards, aren't there??)

Oryx wrote: »
    And Im just plum bummed I wont make it to three golds. :(*

Well done, do I get to call you a Golden Girl now? :)

*Got to keep up with KG here.

You call me Golden Girl and I'll revisit all that Triathlon Barbie crap that annoyed the sh*t out of you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Thought I'd pop over to the dark side to see how you're going - quite busy by the looks of it. Good going Dory and well done on the gold stars :D. Do us a favour though and send over some of that warm weather this direction! We'll give you the cold weather in exchange if you like, consider it a Christmas pressie.

Any truth in rumour you've decided to come over to Dublin for the marathon next year :P...yep it is a rumour that I'm starting!!

Thought I'd pop over to the dark side to see how you're going - quite busy by the looks of it. Good going Dory and well done on the gold stars :D. Do us a favour though and send over some of that warm weather this direction! We'll give you the cold weather in exchange if you like, consider it a Christmas pressie.

Any truth in rumour you've decided to come over to Dublin for the marathon next year :P...yep it is a rumour that I'm starting!!

BP!! The dark side just got a little brighter with your appearance! :)

DCM next year?? Hmmmm....perhaps if I could get a pacing gig....oh, and a hot escort foster family to take me in since hubby might not be able to get away at that time of year....;)

Evening Jaunt

Plan: 6 easy miles

Just another easy breezy tour about town looking at all the holiday decorations while dodging trash bins and chatting with my running companion. We hit some pretty good hills tonight and I kept it pretty darned relaxed (which I find is best for me) and paid attention to good form. These easy runs are great for me to work on form in the hope that good form will eventually become second nature for me (like the way swim form is)...and I do think my form practice is paying off. Legs felt good, run felt easy, and once again I never looked at my watch and was pleasantly surprised how relatively evenly paced my miles were. (Mile 3 was slightly faster due to my attempt to have my speed clocked on the mobile vehicle speed display that was setup on Court Street. :o)

Actual: 6.07 miles in 52:55.97 for an average pace of 8:43 min/mile
    8:49, 8:44, 8:37, 8:51, 8:40, 8:42

Must post Garmin tomorrow....

The (very short) Tale of the Maiden and Her "Pace Envy"

Once upon a time in a log far, far away there was a fair maiden who suffered from a condition known as "pace envy". It was a common condition that caused this maiden to run through the forest way too fast, when, according to her "lady-knight-in-training plan", she was supposed to be skipping and singing and running slow enough recite poetry about King Arthur and his very merry Round Table. Then one day this maiden met a young Prince named Ecoli, and he proclaimed great things, including a solution to this condition that caused all the forest creatures to gasp and shake their heads in disgust. "Ye must run on tired legs....and ye must run up hills....and ye must run into the wind...and ye must only concern yerself with session paces....all else is about effort and time on yer feet....feck all other paces." This fair maiden considered what the Prince had suggested and she heeded his wise advice and ran those sessions on tired legs after hills had been climbed and wind had been embraced....and she fecked all paces other than specifically prescribed session paces.....and she ran the easy runs quite happily and flaunted the slow paces of those easy runs. The fair maiden had been cured of the curse of "pace envy". THE END.

Plan: 2 miles easy, 2 x 2 miles @ 10k pace, 2 miles easy (recovery between intervals is 75% of reps)

The run...the run.....sneaky lunch time run.....did the easy very easy....did the recovery very, very, very easy.....and pretty much made my targets for the 2 x 2 miles at 10k pace. I had my goal for the 10k pace to be 7:30ish. Set sail from my house into town, and did the guts of this session on the flat greenway. The wind was blowing hard enough to notice when I was running into it (but why do I not notice it when it's at my back??), but I pretty much kept things relaxed and even. It's interesting that both of my first of two miles is slower than the second mile of each set - I don't think it was a case of me holdiing back on the first mile, but rather working harder on the second mile. These were hard and I really wanted to stop on the 4th 10k paced mile, but I kept at it until the watch alerted me that I was done, then I took it WAY easy after that. Stopped once at a traffic light during my warmup....stopped for water after my first hard set then walked some which morphed into a slow jog for the remainder of the recovery...and stopped for a potty break after the 4th hard mile. The trip home was all about embracing the easy. No pace envy here. ;)

Actual: 9.52 miles in 1:22.48 for an average pace of 8.42 min/mile
    Interval paces: 7:35, 7:22....and....7:31, 7:25

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/251330218

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BP!! The dark side just got a little brighter with your appearance! :)

DCM next year?? Hmmmm....perhaps if I could get a pacing gig....oh, and a hot escort foster family to take me in since hubby might not be able to get away at that time of year....;)

The 4 hour slot would be the perfect pacer gig for you as I could see with that sunny disposition and positive outlook you would be well suited to take up the sub 4 mentoring thread, however Racoonqueen will want you to run a 3:30 in Boston to consider it

* And losing to her in the SBR Challenge
    * And letting her take the Number 1 position in the run
    * And praising her cake at every opportunity
    * Perhaps run in a costume also as it will be Halloween

Oh oh oh excited much!! I hadnt intended running a marathon in 2013 but if Dory is the sub4 hour pacer I will def be there!! Woohoo!

• Advertisement

Oh oh oh excited much!! I hadnt intended running a marathon in 2013 but if Dory is the sub4 hour pacer I will def be there!! Woohoo!

Oh god....two things....

1) 4:00?? :eek: I was thinking more in terms of 4:15, 4:30, 5:00 pacer, if they would even have me as a pacer. And.....
    catweazle wrote: »
    The 4 hour slot would be the perfect pacer gig for you as I could see with that sunny disposition and positive outlook you would be well suited to take up the sub 4 mentoring thread, however Racoonqueen will want you to run a 3:30 in Boston to consider it

* And losing to her in the SBR Challenge
    * And letting her take the Number 1 position in the run
    * And praising her cake at every opportunity
    * Perhaps run in a costume also as it will be Halloween

2) So, are you saying that our lovely RQ is sleeping with Kurt or Meno or whoever it is who doles out the pacing gig spots?? ;)

Advertisement