Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Up again at 2:30 to catch shuttle to start. The new plan is to take both days easy and enjoy the combined 39.3 training/fun miles. Off I go.....with my Boards top on!

Let the mother hens cease clucking! Sound plan to enjoy both runs, have a blast for both on them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Best of luck over the weekend, enjoy the magical scenery but don't get distracted by it and end up racing both of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Super, super training run!! Will save all the details for my report, but basically I did it as a progression run, felt amazing the entire way (never pushed), negative split (obviously), practiced things like form/drinking water/eating shot bloks, my last 2.3 miles in congestion (the entire course was congested -the which is def a bit of a negative) were at 7:42, 7:43 and 6.59 paces, and felt in great shape when I crossed the finish line. Not a PB, but I really learned so much on this run. Whoop, whoop!! :)

And yes, clucking hens knew best....and I'm going back for more tomorrow because this is the happiest place on earth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Dory, delighted you had a great day. Best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Super, super training run!! Will save all the details for my report, but basically I did it as a progression run, felt amazing the entire way (never pushed), negative split (obviously), practiced things like form/drinking water/eating shot bloks, my last 2.3 miles in congestion (the entire course was congested -the which is def a bit of a negative) were at 7:42, 7:43 and 6.59 paces, and felt in great shape when I crossed the finish line. Not a PB, but I really learned so much on this run. Whoop, whoop!! :)

And yes, clucking hens knew best....and I'm going back for more tomorrow because this is the happiest place on earth!!

Well done. That"s a tidy pace for the last mile. Good luck tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

well done Dory, your a legend!! good luck again tomorrow!

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Well done. That"s a tidy pace for the last mile. Good luck tomorrow.

Well, the 6:59 was for the last .3 mile, but still, not bad for me. The main thing i am pleased with is how good i felt at the end.

Off to bed to rise once again at 2:30!!!! Good god.....:eek:

Okay, so my biggest decision for tomorrow is do i hop on a ride during the marathon??? Hmmmm.......;):D

And, for all you sugary sweet challenge followers, i have not sinned as of yet....eventhough the waiter brought us a complimentary piece of chocolatey chocolate cake that looked to die for. :cool:

Whoop, whoop!! The Goofy is done.....and I had way too much fun today. Briefly....because today was just a bonus round, I decided to stop at every single photo op along the course and have my pic taken with the characters (Jack Sparrow was HOT!). Felt great for the whole thing (except one brief tummy issue on mile 24 - very lovely that runners can use the real loos at the park) and finished strong (last partial mile (.4) was at 8:18 pace). Moving time was 3:52:55.......but transpired time was prob more like 4:20. Once again, practiced lots of things like form/drinking/eating/etc.....and once again, a very crowded course. Legs are tired, but after a 20 minute massage I took advantage of immediately post race, I'm in pretty good shape! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats - that's great discipline ( on the running and the chocolate !). 38+ race codition miles will stand you well in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fair play Dory, to come through the weekends' HM and M smiling and in good shape... much more useful in the long run than being wrecked. The PB will come in Boston, glad you showed discipline here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I hope those pictures will go up on Facebook :p

catweazle wrote: »

If there are any photos that are up to the facebook "cover shot" standard, then you might catch one or two of me with my Minnie Mouse ears on hugging Mickey, Prince Charming, Jack Sparrow, or one of the many characters that I had no flippin' idea who they were. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

If there are any photos that are up to the facebook "cover shot" standard, then you might catch one or two of me with my Minnie Mouse ears on hugging Mickey, Prince Charming, Jack Sparrow, or one of the many characters that I had no flippin' idea who they were. ;)

Congrats on the run and share them pics with the rest of us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

...I decided to stop at every single photo op along the course and have my pic taken with the characters (Jack Sparrow was HOT!).
    catweazle wrote: »

+1 on the FB photos and if it helps speed things up you can just put up the ones of Jack Sparrow please ;)

Well done DD, sounds like great fun and looking forward to the reports. I'll make sure to have stocked up on my starbucks first coz I think these ones will give Martha and CL a run for their money :D

Okay, okay....pics if they I don't look horrendously disgusting in them. I guess if needed, I can alway crop myself out and just post the characters. ;)

Report will be started tomorrow. I will try and not abuse my forum real estate privileges by taking up too much space. Try, being the operative word. :D

I am shocked at how wonderful I feel. Usually by now I am walking backwards down stairs while making I'm-in-so-much-pain faces, but I feel great! I'm chocking it up to the skilled massages at the finish line I took advantage of.

Recovery, Recovery

Plan: 3 miles recovery

You cannot imagine the shock to my chocolate deprived body of having to run tonight in cold and rainy weather after having been basking in warmth and sunshine for the last few days. Oh what a difference a day makes! Glad the pace was slow (glad this week is easy :D) - it fit the mood of the evening.

Not much to tell about this short, slow and very disciplined run other than I met my running friend after work, we talked the entire time about my weekend's antics and about his mountain bike crash, and I don't think I could have gone any faster unless I had wanted to put in some effort, which I didn't. I must confess, I was happy as a clam to "jog" this session like the happy little jogger I can be....no guilt tonight. Legs feel absolutely grand.....and I'm still shaking my head in amazement.

Actual: 3.13 miles in 30:19.15 for an average pace of 9:40 min/mile

Must update my SBR challenge numbers....but it's essentially all running. In fact, there won't be much else but running from here til Boston.....hope you guys don't vote me out of this tri forum - all this running might bore you to death. (note to self: start spicing up the runs with racey outfits and innuendos)

First off....After Hours?? Really?? Have you guys seen some of the topics they discuss?? Now I understand why everyone uses fake names. Wow.

The Feeling Like A Million Bucks Treadie Trot

Plan: 4 miles easy

Nasty night outside and my running buddy pooped out on me so I decided to do this indoors while listening to good old heavy metal. Down to the deluxe dungeon to get my groove on....and I felt like I was on top of the world trotting at my easy breezy pace which felt easier and breezier than usual. I have no idea what's going on, but my body feels super and my spirits are high - yes, higher than normal, if you can imagine that. :D Is it the 39.3 miles I ran in the land of animation....or the massages I had post runs....or the training plan I am following....or all the sugary sweetness I am not living off of any more?? And more importantly, will this feeling last? Geez...if only I could bottle this and sell it. :rolleyes:

Actual: 4 wonderful easy miles

Race report alert: It has been started and photos have been secured. Look for it hitting the stands this weekend. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You are always so cheerful. Which is to your credit.

And also really annoying when I'm looking out at drizzling rain and feeling like cr@p. :) If youre bottling it, Im buying it.

But Im glad youre in high spirits and I too hope it lasts!

Oryx wrote: »
    You are always so cheerful. Which is to your credit.

And also really annoying when I'm looking out at drizzling rain and feeling like cr@p. :)If youre bottling it, Im buying it.

But Im glad youre in high spirits and I too hope it lasts!

I would gladly give it to you. :D

And I will apologize in advance for the ridiculous length of my report. After two days of working on it, I'm only up to the night before the full marathon. :o

And The Happy Endorphins Continue....

Plan: 3 miles easy

The threat of snow never materialized today (thank god) so it was the old street shimmy-and-shake with my friend after work tonight. We started out nice and slow, but our pace got faster and faster with each story we told and with each mile that passed. Overall pace was fine, but the last mile should have been slower. Still feeling no I'll effects from the weekend. :D

Actual: 3.11 miles in 26:50.86 for an average pace of 8:37 min/mile
    9:05, 8:41, 8:11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

And The Happy Endorphins Continue....

Plan: 3 miles easy

The threat of snow never materialized today (thank god) so it was the old street shimmy-and-shake with my friend after work tonight. We started out nice and slow, but our pace got faster and faster with each story we told and with each mile that passed. Overall pace was fine, but the last mile should have been slower. Still feeling no I'll effects from the weekend. :D

Actual: 3.11 miles in 26:50.86 for an average pace of 8:37 min/mile
    9:05, 8:41, 8:11

Keep it handy this week, you might feel great after the races at weekend but given the training phase you will be heading into shortly you might be wishing you were able to come back to this week in about 6 weeks time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

ecoli wrote: »
    Keep it handy this week, you might feel great after the races at weekend but given the training phase you will be heading into shortly you might be wishing you were able to come back to this week in about 6 weeks time :D

DD I'd listen to these wise words as I hear your coach is a bit of slave driver ;)

BTW still waiting on the Jack Sparrow eyecandy FB photos :D

ecoli wrote: »

Yeah, I've peeked at what's to come. Gulp. :eek:;):D
    DD I'd listen to these wise words as I hear your coach is a bit of slave driver ;)

BTW still waiting on the Jack Sparrow eyecandy FB photos :D

Don't hold your breath waiting on FB - running in a marathon doesn't exactly translate well in pixelated imagery. In other words, I look like sh*t in them. However, I have attached a few of those crap pics of me (including one of me and Jack - I definitely think he wanted me ;)) in my very lengthy report because as fellow athletes, we give each other a pass in a race to look like sh*t. Right??

The Meet a Friend in Town Run

Plan: 4 miles easy

Because I was gently reminded yesterday to take it handy for the next bit in preparation for the real meat of the plan that will be here sooner than I know it :eek:, I agreed to meet a girlfriend in town who is slower than me to run a few miles with her. She completed her first half marathon a few months back and is signed up for her second on in May, so she's all jazzed to be hitting the streets to train.

The plan was for me to leave the clinic and meet her at about the 1.5 mile mark, then we were to do some hills together, then part ways for her to head home and me to head back to the clinic. My watch had trouble finding satellites before I embarked on this run, but after dancing around in the parking lot a few minutes they were locked and loaded.

Off I went....a bit faster than I know I should have (8:16), but I also knew that my pace would slow dramatically very soon. Met my friend and had to really reel things in, especially when I could hear her huffing and puffing on the hills and having some difficulty talking. I eased it back and kept blabbering away trying to distract her with my tales from Disney. :D I think for the most part it worked, she hung with me pretty well and never stopped to walk. I also tried to give her a few tips on hill running (like I even know what I'm talking about!) to further give her things to think about other than the place she was in at that moment. (9:39, 11:05)

Before we knew it, it was time to part ways....so I upped the pace as soon as we bid farewell. The Garmin read 11 min/mile when I glanced down at 3.3 miles.....and it read 9 min/mile when I lost satellite at 3.72 miles, and I never got it back after that. :mad: So, I will estimate that I ran 4.4ish miles....

Body still in tact....tummy acting up. Residual holiday food and race bloks perhaps???

Actual: ~4.4 miles in 41:18:34

Okay...getting frustrated. I have completed my very lengthy Disney report with photos...but I did it on a Word Document so now it is way too big to attach here. I actually tried breaking it down one page at a time, but I guess because of the photos, even one page with a photo on it is too large. If someone has any ideas for me, they would be most welcome. I'm even willing to send this document to someone if they think they can get it to squeeze into this space. If not....then I guess I'm looking at retyping it all over again. Good god....:confused::eek::o:(:mad::):D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Hi DD,

Are you trying to attach the word doc? If so i just see that there is a 300kB limit on a .doc (which is really small) however there is a 5MB limit for a pdf. Try and convert the word doc to a pdf and then try and attach it.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks!! I will try that in the morning. Not sure how to convert it, but I'll see what I can do. (just change the suffix?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Thanks!! I will try that in the morning. Not sure how to convert it, but I'll see what I can do. (just change the suffix?)

could well depend on the version of MS word being employed. Potentially this could be as simple as File > Save as or File > Export as PDF. Don't have a laptop in front of me but a quick google or 'Help' should sort you out.

Sounds like the goofy might have been just chapter one of the report, and the writing and publication of the report the second chapter ;) Ive ordered a box of gels and am tapering in preparation of reading it ;)

:):D:cool:

The Early Morning I-Got-My-Boogie-Groove-Shake-On Session

Plan: 10 miles easy

I was wide awake at 5:30 this morning so I decided to hop on out of bed and get this short, easy run out if the way before the sun came up. I figured there was no harm in doing this on the treadmill since I'm to take things handy at the moment. :D So after a quick spin around the tv selection guide to see what was showing at O'Dark Hundred, I settled on Amy Winehouse crooning in a marginally drunken stupor and trying her best to dance. Amy, honey, if only you had gotten a few dance lessons. Too late now, unless St. Peter has some moves we don't know about. ;) Then it was Fitz and the Tantrums. Brilliant stuff so early in the morning. That got my boogie-groove-shake going in full throttle.

Actual: 10 easy miles

Now....off to see if I can convert a certain file.....

• Advertisement

Dory Does Disney
    January 12 &13, 2013
    Orlando Florida
    39.3 miles of Goofy fun.....

My sincerest apologies in advance for this rather large file full of drivel and bad photos that could quite possibly bring on an involuntary coma. The scary thing is, I actually had so much more to say. :eek: I tried to keep some of the details to a mere laundry list of events, then I tried to sprinkle a few stories in between the boring laundy lists. Good luck. And I'm having finishers medals awarded to all who get through this in one piece. ;)

Dory Does Disney 2013.pdf

Advertisement