Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You can use the toys in the foreplay warm up ;)

Oooo...such sweet talk has me already forgetting about those tumble turns. ;)

Way too cold to venture out into the elements tonight for my tempo run (20 degrees Fahrenheit!), so it was the revolving artificial landscape of my treadmill that I shared with Gwen Stefani for 7 miles. (Oryx, if you are reading this, I want your sick playlist!)

Plan called for 1 mile easy, 5 miles at 8:20 min/mile, 1 mile easy, and after some quick calculations, treadie settings were determined and off I went. Long story short, I find these tempo and interval workouts much harder for me than the long runs (however, I haven't hit the 20 mile runs yet....), and I find they require me to call upon my mental toughness skills to negotiate me to non-failure. Also, my gut tells me that these tempo and interval sessions are where I will derive the most improvement in this discipline, therefore I will bleed them for everything they are worth.

The first and last miles were at a relaxing 10 min/mile pace, and the middle 5 miles were at a spiffy 8:13 min/mile pace with increasing degrees of incline, thus facilitating the increased degree of difficulty for me with each passing mile. I did have to talk myself off the ledge a few times around the start of the last tempo mile, but it helped me to visualize where I was in my run with respect to the finish by visualizing where I would be at that point if I were running in my field. The average pace/mile for the 7 miles was 8:39. Another tempo done and dusted. :)

Today....Swim Session!!

That's right. It was driving me mad that I had no mileage on the swim section of the SBR Challenge, so I bugged out of work and drove an hour to the nearest pool to get some time in. Since I was pushed to get back before the rats deserted the ship, I did a quick and dirty session.

500 yards free
    2 x 250 yards free
    2 x 250 yards kick
    2 x 250 yards pull
    The following set was done with no rest time - only time to swap kickboard for pull buoy, so it was a killer by the end:
    200 kick, 200 pull, 150 kick, 150 pull, 100 kick, 100 pull, 50 kick, 50 pull
    6X 100 yards w/ 25 each of free, breast, fly, free
    Cool down was changing my clothes and driving the hour back to work

3600 yards, 1 hour 8 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

So I was in the pool today, swam past some guy doing very queer contortions in the water.. Came back down on my next length, and I saw him talking to one of the lifeguards on duty. Pausing to catch breath, I heard the lifeguard telling the other guy:

"Well, with tumble turns, the biggest mistake most people make is that they are turning too early. It's called a tumble turn because you tumble, then you turn. You're supposed to turn when you're feet come back into the water"

Heard that, and I couldn't help but smile to myself, and thought you might get a kick out of it. In the end the lifeguard recommended that the guy do lengths and try and fit 4 tumbles in per length, and keep motion going etc etc (I stopped listening at that point), but he kept up all the weird shapes and stuff for a bit, and provided some entertainment for a few minutes :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »

3600 yards, 1 hour 8 min.
    Sweet lord that set would take me a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Thats a lot of swimming alright for that time in the water, particularly with so much kickboard in it. Looks like you might be one of the fish that go by me sometimes with what looks like outboard engines behind them

"Well, with tumble turns, the biggest mistake most people make is that they are turning too early. It's called a tumble turn because you tumble, then you turn. You're supposed to turn when you're feet come back into the water"

Heard that, and I couldn't help but smile to myself, and thought you might get a kick out of it. :)

Oh, that is too funny! Over here, we call them flip turns. I believe it was catweazle who first exposed me to that adorable gymnastic-like term "tumble turns", and I smiled at the term then, and I'm still smiling at it now. :) Thanks for sharing the story with me.

And oh! When I was at the pool today I really paid attention to the placement of the kickboard (you had asked) in the water, and in my previous reply I said the nose of the board was slightly up, which it is, but the nose is pretty much at surface level (perhaps just slightly lower than surface level). Obviously, then, the end of the board that is closest to the body will be a bit lower in the water than the nose.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Sweet lord that set would take me a week.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Thats a lot of swimming alright for that time in the water, particularly with so much kickboard in it. Looks like you might be one of the fish that go by me sometimes with what looks like outboard engines behind them

I was busting butt to get back to work. :)

Brick session tonight!

I'd be lying if I didn't say this session was tough. From the very first revolution on the bike my thighs were screaming - I assume due to my earlier-in-the-day swim session. I was just trying to keep pace above 15 mph. Time on the treadie was easier than the trainer, in large part to slowing down the pace.

Bike - 15.76 miles, 60 minutes
    Run - 5 miles, 45:34, 9:07 min/mile

Friday is typically a rest day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

So I was in the pool today, swam past some guy doing very queer contortions in the water.. Came back down on my next length, and I saw him talking to one of the lifeguards on duty. Pausing to catch breath, I heard the lifeguard telling the other guy:

Heard that, and I couldn't help but smile to myself, and thought you might get a kick out of it. In the end the lifeguard recommended that the guy do lengths and try and fit 4 tumbles in per length, and keep motion going etc etc (I stopped listening at that point), but he kept up all the weird shapes and stuff for a bit, and provided some entertainment for a few minutes :)
    Reminds me of the guy in my pool who thinks a tumble turn involves using his hands to turn himself around by doing a hand stand. Above water you'd think he was just a little sloppy as he's fairly slow at the manoeuvre but when you see it underwater its pure comedy!

Tumble turns. :) I will do an extra 100 butterfly during my swim session on Sunday for every tumble turn story (real or otherwise) posted between now and then on this thread. One story per logger. 2 stories thus far. (unless I should count shotgun's initial tumble turn post, then that makes three.....?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I just spent my entire lunch hour reading your log.. You know how they say not to eat in front of the TV as it becomes mindless and you don't realise what you're eating / when you're full? Well I think that same rule applies for your log. I think I managed to put away 10 times the amount of food I actually required… I was enjoying it so much that I only got up once to make a fresh coffee and now I'm upset that I have to go and work on a Friday afternoon when what I'd really rather be doing is hiking around the joys you have at your door step! That's some amazing training you do! Best of luck with the marathon training - I suspect you're going to have a smashing time (both in experience and results!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

This one should earn a 100 HARD Butterfly then... :)

I don't generally tumble turn. I didn't learn to swim as a kid. As a result the collection of such swim skills with natural fearless oblivious enthusiasm has passed. I make do with empty pool lanes for the odd attempt for the sake of my manly pride and potential injury to myself and others. The bravest I get in an actual group session is during the warm up when there is at least 20m of clear water behind me.

On a family holiday to French fine wine country during the summer, we had an infinity pool at our disposal. The weather was uncharacteristically cool, wet and windy. It meant that the pool, for the most part, remained devoid of fat breast stroking Germans. No one knew me and apart from the pressure of my audience, snoozing siblings and little ones collecting lizards, I was free to practice. I tried dozens of tumble turns during the week and slowly got away from the wall without scraping the pool floor with my chest or inhaling a gallon of water.

Onto my first swim back on the Emerald Isle. It was a Sunday and I had the lane to myself when I set out. First tumble turn at the top of the pool went well and I swam back with a semblence of that oblivious enthusiasm. I had planned the 2nd tumble turn from about 25m and while doing so didn't consider the man and woman standing at the wall fixing their goggles and chatting. With 10m to go I was solely focused on breathing right when I finally noticed them. It was too late I had committed. I targetted the piece of wall between them both for the turn but with them in the way I started the turn much too far out from the wall. I rolled forward and turned onto my back succesfully but managed to kick off the guy's belly instead of the wall. The best way I could describe being too far out from the wall is that if he wasn't their I would have kicked nothing. Instead I pulled up to see that I had almost winded the poor man. His wife gave me the evils as I spluttered my apologies. I'd swear the water bubbled around the heat of my red face as I entered the water again to make my escape. I think I took one breath for the next 50m and hopped into the other lane at the top of the pool. Mortified doesn't describe it :o

That makes me feel so much better about my head on collision a few weeks ago, mid lane, no excuses, I just wasnt looking where I was going. I havent learned to tumble turn and I dont want to try, now.

I wish I had a yarn to tell ya because I REALLY want to make you do 100m flutterby.

This one should earn a 100 HARD Butterfly then... :)

I don't generally tumble turn. I didn't learn to swim as a kid. As a result the collection of such swim skills with natural fearless oblivious enthusiasm has passed. I make do with empty pool lanes for the odd attempt for the sake of my manly pride and potential injury to myself and others. The bravest I get in an actual group session is during the warm up when there is at least 20m of clear water behind me.

On a family holiday to French fine wine country during the summer, we had an infinity pool at our disposal. The weather was uncharacteristically cool, wet and windy. It meant that the pool, for the most part, remained devoid of fat breast stroking Germans. No one knew me and apart from the pressure of my audience, snoozing siblings and little ones collecting lizards, I was free to practice. I tried dozens of tumble turns during the week and slowly got away from the wall without scraping the pool floor with my chest or inhaling a gallon of water.

Onto my first swim back on the Emerald Isle. It was a Sunday and I had the lane to myself when I set out. First tumble turn at the top of the pool went well and I swam back with a semblence of that oblivious enthusiasm. I had planned the 2nd tumble turn from about 25m and while doing so didn't consider the man and woman standing at the wall fixing their goggles and chatting. With 10m to go I was solely focused on breathing right when I finally noticed them. It was too late I had committed. I targetted the piece of wall between them both for the turn but with them in the way I started the turn much too far out from the wall. I rolled forward and turned onto my back succesfully but managed to kick off the guy's belly instead of the wall. The best way I could describe being too far out from the wall is that if he wasn't their I would have kicked nothing. Instead I pulled up to see that I had almost winded the poor man. His wife gave me the evils as I spluttered my apologies. I'd swear the water bubbled around the heat of my red face as I entered the water again to make my escape. I think I took one breath for the next 50m and hopped into the other lane at the top of the pool. Mortified doesn't describe it :o

Yours will be the third 100 fly I do...and I will make this one especially hard due to your tumble turn enthusiasm and pleasing story telling. (Fat breast stroking Germans? Really? ;))
    That makes me feel so much better about my head on collision a few weeks ago, mid lane, no excuses, I just wasnt looking where I was going. I havent learned to tumble turn and I dont want to try, now.

I wish I had a yarn to tell ya because I REALLY want to make you do 100m flutterby.

You have till Sunday to make one up!

claralara wrote: »
    I just spent my entire lunch hour reading your log.. You know how they say not to eat in front of the TV as it becomes mindless and you don't realise what you're eating / when you're full? Well I think that same rule applies for your log. I think I managed to put away 10 times the amount of food I actually required… I was enjoying it so much that I only got up once to make a fresh coffee and now I'm upset that I have to go and work on a Friday afternoon when what I'd really rather be doing is hiking around the joys you have at your door step! That's some amazing training you do! Best of luck with the marathon training - I suspect you're going to have a smashing time (both in experience and results!) :)

Gosh. Thanks. You've made my day. If you ever venture to the US and are any where near the Shenandoah Valley (less than 2 hours west of DC), I will take you out to hike/trail run/kayak/canoe/whatever in our beautiful natural resources! And I just hope my first marathon is as grand as yours was. :)

Oh, and where can I get that Kenyan blood tranfusion??

Wait one cotton pickin' minute!! "Flutterby"??? Typo? Personal spin? Or yet another endearing term from the land of green?? Please spill....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

"Flutterby"???

I "invented" this portmanteau when I was about 8, thought it described a butterfly much more poetically. You think the OED would pay me for it, no sir, they said it had been independently invented by thousands of kids, including, it seems, Oryx.

I "invented" this portmanteau when I was about 8, thought it described a butterfly much more poetically. You think the OED would pay me for it, no sir, they said it had been independently invented by thousands of kids, including, it seems, Oryx.

And yet another darling childhood story by dpop. ;) Damn that OED.

Hey....why aren't you doing the SBR Challenge?? Surely you can ride a bike...and if you're still a fat lad, buoyancy is in your swimming favor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hey....why aren't you doing the SBR Challenge?? Surely you can ride a bike...and if you're still a fat lad, buoyancy is in your swimming favor.

Don't have the time, don't have the money... I can see you sweeping all before you this year though. If enthusiasm could be bottled!:D

I don't wish to challenge the OED, but I heard a butterfly was originally called a flutterby, because that was what it did. But butterfly is easier to pronounce so the name changed. It may not be true but I like it. My own attempts and the butterfly stroke do not flutter or fly. I resemble someone having a seizure. In fact someone actually having a seizure would probably make more forward motion through the water.

• Advertisement

Key Workout #3 of the week

I had to be in to work at 7 this morning, but finished up at 10 on the dot. After a quick change into my running clothes, I dashed to meet a friend for our big running adventure in and about town. Because I hate carrying a clunky belt with water and snacks, we strategically plotted our route so we could make one swipe by my car to stop and hydrate and get our energy rush. (My snack of choice was fruity and flavorful jelly beans. I also had about a dozen Hershey kisses, but saved them for the ride home. Still haven't given much of a try at gels and such...and not sure I will. Mistake??)

The plan called for me to do 17 miles at 9:30 pace, but as usual I just couldn't go that slow. I'm beginning to wonder if I need to reevaluate my projected marathon pace or just not worry about it and, as long as I don't start blowing up on my long runs, just run what feels comfortable. Next Saturday is a 20 miler, so maybe I'll have more clarity then.

The first 6 miles were at a lovely 8:30ish min/mile pace, but I was roasting in my Under Armour cold weather gear. Must shed some layers! We then decided to slow it down to an 8:45 pace for the next few miles until we reached my car so I could peel off my under-top. 10 miles completed at this point, and after a quick swig and a hit of them sugary beans, off we went to tackle the last leg of this jaunt.

My friend is recovering from what we think may be a pulled muscle and it was giving him a fit right about now, so at mile 11 we parted ways. I finished the last 6 miles in good form and into the wind. The last 2 miles were the toughest, but they were also among my fastest. Splits as follows:

8:27, 8:30, 8:31, 8:10, 8:32, 8:31, 8:47, 8:34, 8:43, 8:22, 8:47, 8:33, 8:52, 8:28, 8:30, 8:23, 8:16
    17 miles total, 2:25:08, 8:32 min/mile

Turbo session

Okay, so I probably need my head examined for hopping on my bike after running 17 miles, but I felt good when I got home....plus, my hubby is out of town and it was either the bike or take down Christmas. I didn't have it in me at that moment to dig out all the boxes....so....the bike won out. Tough, tough session. I just wanted to stay about 14 mph....and I wanted to go at least 10 miles, both of which I did....but I was fading at the end. Cycling is my weakest of the three disciplines, so I'm still struggling at it. BUT, good god did I give an award winning lip-synching performance to Christina Aguilera's soul-wrenching song, Bound to You. Holy crap, that amazing performance by yours truly definitely amped up the quality of an otherwise mediocre turbo session. ;)

10 miles in 42 minutes.

Pooped now.....will be drinking wine tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

You've probably mentioned already Dory, but what marathon plan (if any) are you following?

I'm following the FIRST plan - Furman Institute of Running. Catweazle passed it on to me, and I really think it's a good fit for me. If you can't find it online, let me know and I'll forward you a copy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What time are you aiming for dory? That seems very fast for a long run compared to the times you listed on the first page. :eek:

One of the purposes of the long run is time on your feet to get you used to how long you'll be out there in the marathon, what's the longest run in your plan?

What time are you aiming for dory? That seems very fast for a long run compared to the times you listed on the first page. :eek:

One of the purposes of the long run is time on your feet to get you used to how long you'll be out there in the marathon, what's the longest run in your plan?

Per the plan, the longest run is 20 miles, and I do five of those with the first one next Saturday. My goal time (never having run a marathon and based on my last half marathon performance of 1:45) is 3:50.....which translates into a min/mile of 8:45. I feel good and relaxed going 8:30-40ish so it's hard to slow it down. The plan called for today's run to be done at mp plus 45 seconds. My question is....have I targeted too low a marathon goal....or is the plan an imperfect tool....or am I doing harm by going too fast.....or will the 20 miler be the telling tale? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Per the plan, the longest run is 20 miles, and I do five of those with the first one next Saturday. My goal time (never having run a marathon and based on my last half marathon performance of 1:45) is 3:50.....which translates into a min/mile of 8:45. I feel good and relaxed going 8:30-40ish so it's hard to slow it down. The plan called for today's run to be done at mp plus 45 seconds. My question is....have I targeted too low a marathon goal....or is the plan an imperfect tool....or am I doing harm by going too fast.....or will the 20 miler be the telling tale? :confused:

The 18 mile mark can be the point where the body really starts complaining. So, I would definitely go out slow in the 20 miler, if you're feeling good at the 17 mile mark you can pick up the pace for the last 3 or so miles. Once you get into the swing of running about 9:30 pace it'll be easy to maintain it. You don't want to run yourself down doing the long runs too fast and see it hamper your other important sessions.

5 x 20 miles will have you in great shape. Sounds like a tough programme. Main thing for your first marathon is to enjoy it but you don't want to undersell yourself either, I'd stick with 3:50 unless other races tell you different you have a chance with that HM time of pushing towards 3:45 if you train smart, 3:50 is definitely achievable IMO. Are you doing any more half marathons or races before the marathon?

Slow runs slow.
    Fast runs fast.
    One of the hardest lessons for all distance runners. Most people run their fast runs too slow and their slow runs too fast. Ryan Hall does his recovery runs at 8:30 pace. Which probably feels to him like what a 15 minute mile feels to us normal people. :)

The 18 mile mark can be the point where the body really starts complaining. So, I would definitely go out slow in the 20 miler, if you're feeling good at the 17 mile mark you can pick up the pace for the last 3 or so miles. Once you get into the swing of running about 9:30 pace it'll be easy to maintain it. You don't want to run yourself down doing the long runs too fast and see it hamper your other important sessions.

5 x 20 miles will have you in great shape. Sounds like a tough programme. Main thing for your first marathon is to enjoy it but you don't want to undersell yourself either, I'd stick with 3:50 unless other races tell you different you have a chance with that HM time of pushing towards 3:45 if you train smart, 3:50 is definitely achievable IMO. Are you doing any more half marathons or races before the marathon?

Slow runs slow.
    Fast runs fast.
    One of the hardest lessons for all distance runners. Most people run their fast runs too slow and their slow runs too fast. Ryan Hall does his recovery runs at 8:30 pace. Which probably feels to him like what a 15 minute mile feels to us normal people. :)

No races planned before the marathon. I will really, really make a conscious effort to slow it down next weekend for the 20 miler for I understand what you are saying about the body complaining at a certain point. I assume that is hitting the wall. I'm new to running and have so much to learn (and many mistakes yet to make), so I really appreciate your guidance in this regard. I will look forward to next weekend's run that I hope will give me greater insight into my marathon ability. I may look to you after that run to give me your assessment. Thanks again! :). (what are you doing up so late?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

My question is....have I targeted too low a marathon goal....
    You'll know when preparing for your second Marathon.
    is the plan an imperfect tool
    Yes
    or am I doing harm by going too fast
    See RQ above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

One thing I was a fan of on my second marathon was the plan had a 22 mile run. I dont think it had any real physical benefit but on the day when hitting 20 miles and struggling I knew I had ran further than that in training so it was a great mental lift.

I noticed after showing some good discipline you have started to slip back to running faster than planned ;) You may start to slow up naturally, the heavy workload sooner or later should rear its ugly head and it will be a case of getting through it rather than caning it.

Have plenty of sweets ready for the 20 miler, I would recommend experimenting with gels also until you find one you like, they really do provide a great boost if taken at the right time in my opinion.

• Advertisement

You'll know when preparing for your second Marathon.

Yes

See RQ above.

You say so much with so few words. Thanks.
    catweazle wrote: »
    One thing I was a fan of on my second marathon was the plan had a 22 mile run. I dont think it had any real physical benefit but on the day when hitting 20 miles and struggling I knew I had ran further than that in training so it was a great mental lift.

I noticed after showing some good discipline you have started to slip back to running faster than planned ;) You may start to slow up naturally, the heavy workload sooner or later should rear its ugly head and it will be a case of getting through it rather than caning it.

Have plenty of sweets ready for the 20 miler, I would recommend experimenting with gels also until you find one you like, they really do provide a great boost if taken at the right time in my opinion.

But that is where I'm confused....am I being undisciplined during a key workout when the pace I am going feels good and is sustainable? I totally understand that I need to slow it down on recovery days, but these long runs are one of three each week that seem crucial to my race performance. Bottom line....I will go slow next weekend (mp plus 60 seconds!) and then see how much I have in my tank w/ 3 miles to go. And I will invest in some good gels. How often should I suck one down on a 20 miler?

Advertisement