Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great race Dory. I've blocked out some time in my calendar for reading the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

"I don't think about the miles that are coming down the road, I don't think about the mile I'm on right now, I don't think about the miles I've already covered. I think about what I'm doing right now, just being lost in the moment."
    (Ryan Hall, U.S Olympic marathoner).

Enjoy every moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

All the best this weekend. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck for Monday, i'm so excited for you and i think you are going to have the race of your life!!! You have put in such good training that i hope you get the time you deserve...:D. Looking forward to the Report too!!! Enjoy the whole weekend in Boston!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck DD. Enjoy it.
    I hope you win :) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Very very best of luck this weekend Dory. I suspect you are going to surprise yourself given the quality and consistency of your training to date. Remember to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best of luck monday, I truly hope you get the rewards for the hard work you put in. you deserve notling less.

Roll on the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

This is one race report I'll be looking forward to, you have some finely tuned engine, stick it in gear, cruise to 20 (that's 32.2 kms) and take it home - look after Joe for me will ya :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thanks everyone!! Your wishes and positive energy really do spur me on, remind me of the training I've done, and assist my psych for the task at hand. So I sincerely thank you all for stopping by and taking the time. :D

Nearly There, Part III

Plan: 4 miles easy

Quickie report here.....

In Boston......did the Sam Adams tour (free beer, free sample glasses, uber cool marathon souvenir glass).....rode the Party Trolley (think strobe lights, disco ball, really bad 70s music, and hilarious tour guide/driver) from Sam Adams Brewery to Doyle's pub (you buy a Sam Adams beer and keep the glass - bonus!!).......went to the expo (whoa.....spent way too much :o).....ran/jogged 4 miles super easy on hotel treadie....swam 15 minutes super easy in the hotel pool...spent 10 minutes in very hot whirlpool.....and endured less than a minute in the steam room due to my inability to breathe properly in there.

Weather was crap - 40s and rainy......but it's supposed to improve tomorrow. :) Pooped....heading to bed!! Whoop whoop!!

Actual: 4 miles super easy....super easy swim....etc....(see above^^)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Been following your log for a while now. Good luck on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck DD. Hope you smash that 3:30 target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    (...spent 10 minutes in very hot whirlpool.....and endured less than a minute in the steam room

Might be just as well to skip the steam room (and maybe the hottub?) until post the race - you want focus on hydration. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi DD, and 'best to you' ;) on Monday! Enjoy it.

Nearly There, Part IV

Plan: rest

Another quickie style update (must conserve my energy, you know ;))....

After a pretty good night's sleep (translation - was in bed for a full 9 hours!) got up and went to a local eatery and had smoked salmon on a bagel with cucumber and wasabi sauce (now that will wake you up!!) for breakfast....then back to the expo to exchange an item I purchased yesterday for a smaller size (and to make another sneaky purchase or two :o)....then met up with a friend who lives in Boston who took us on an all day tour of the city (highlights included lunch at an uber cool hole in the ground, The Bleacher Bar, which is located beneath the bleachers in centerfield at Fenway Park http://bleacherbarboston.com/about/ ....and dinner at an awesome pizzeria in Little Italy called Regina's Pizzeria http://www.pizzeriaregina.com/).....then back to the hotel for a super, super easy and relaxing 1,080 meter swim followed by a 5 minute leg-loving soak in the whirlpool (while sipping on water to stay hydrated :))

A jam-packed day for me today...but I wouldn't have changed a thing about it...and now it's bedtime for this Boston runner....big day tomorrow as I will be hooking up with a few royal boardsies and I know I will need all my wits and energy about me to keep up with them. Whoop whoop! :D

Actual: no running, but lots of walking, quite a bit of eating, and some easy peasy swimming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I picked a good time to just randomly check out the training logs for the first time in a couple of months; a day before you undertake Boston and still enough time for me to wish you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Can't wait for the report DD. Best of luck tomorrow. Enjoy the Boston experience :D

Aaaaaand, We're Here

Plan: 10 minutes recovery

Got up nice and early after a pretty good night's sleep and did this one half asleep on the hotel treadie. I looked a fright to be out in public, and thank god all the children were still in bed, but I figured 10 minutes in the hotel gym on marathon weekend looking like I looked was as risky as skipping to the mailbox before the sun comes up in your undies.

Anyway....I must close my eyes and go to sleep now so there will be no further commentary on the day....other than to say I had the great fortune to spend all day with various boardsies. Oh, and....who knew Abhainn could steer an amphibious landing vehicle so smoothly in the Charles River?? (I have pictures!!). ;):D

See you on the other side!

Actual: 11.5 minutes super slow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck with it!
    Hope to hear about you smashing that PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Go Dory Dory! Best of luck for today, you will fly it! See you at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

24.55 for first 5k- finally some good pacing!

Tracker, she's no. 17074

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yes looks like she is going to go for 3.29.59 - Good call!

Let her go for sub 3.20 in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Projected finish time now of 3.23, looks like pace is increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Trig1 wrote: »
    Projected finish time now of 3.23, looks like pace is increasing

Ah good old Dory - I should never have doubted her :D

01:41:18 at halfway- speeding up ever so slightly...

Have to say, she seems to be holding the pace correctly when it matters.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

catweazle wrote: »
    Ah good old Dory - I should never have doubted her :D

Yup she has picked it up alright. And I know well she can maintain it.

come on Dory, you can do it, last 5k!!, sub 3.30 still on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

C'mon Dory! Dig deep, there's chocolate at the Finish Line with your name on it:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

And she's finished, 3:32. Well done DD, looks like it wasn't easy out there.

Can go for my swim now, hurrah ;)

well done on a great time Dory!!

• Advertisement

The sub 3:30 will wait for another day (a shoo-in for Dublin)- well done on your progress to date! Enjoy a few days kicking back then its all about the pool pool pool pool pool pool pool pool pool pool pool pool!

Advertisement