Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Its hard to know, your body should start telling you soon when the milage acccumulates. I did a couple of prescribed runs of 15/16 miles off low 8 minute pace, my first 20 miler on that plan though I was shagged and knew starting out that I would need to rein it back in and just get through it. Your weekly mileage was staggering anyways for your 1/2 marathon effort, your 50-60 miles a week was more than I was running for the marathon, so you are in great shape anyways for this program

I took a gel every 1/2 hour on the marathon day so I had 7 in total I think, you probably wont need to be as diligent as that on a training run though. I took one after 10 miles, 14 miles and 17 miles in training. Sometimes that was enough sometimes it wasn't.

Anyways don't worry too much about it you are going great so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'm following the FIRST plan - Furman Institute of Running. Catweazle passed it on to me, and I really think it's a good fit for me. If you can't find it online, let me know and I'll forward you a copy.

I had a look online, it's this plan? http://www.marathon-training-program.com/three-day-program-faster.html

Judging by the amount of mileage you are doing, I doubt it's the beginner one :). If that's the plan you are following, and your 20 miler is next week, then I didn't think you were that far into your training though :eek:. Time flies when you're having fun!:cool: When is your marathon on?

On the subject of gels, for what it's worth, I have tried a few, and the only one that stands out in my mind is Kinetica Summer Berries. It tastes horrid, so I would suggest avoiding it.. :p

From my limited experience though, the more bland the flavour they try and emulate, the easier it is to stomach, so I'll always try the watermelon flavour of something first. Probably don't give the same boost as gels, but these bad boys are really yummy. I have come home drunk and hungry on more than one occasion, and had a pack :o

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hydrating gels suit me best but I havent found any yet that don't make me queasy after I've taken a few of them. Its a trial and error job to get the right one. You sound like you are flying through the plan, tho. Anyone who turbos after an lsr is proper hardcore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I had a look online, it's this plan? http://www.marathon-training-program.com/three-day-program-faster.html

Judging by the amount of mileage you are doing, I doubt it's the beginner one :). If that's the plan you are following, and your 20 miler is next week, then I didn't think you were that far into your training though :eek:. Time flies when you're having fun!:cool: When is your marathon on?

On the subject of gels, for what it's worth, I have tried a few, and the only one that stands out in my mind is Kinetica Summer Berries. It tastes horrid, so I would suggest avoiding it.. :p

From my limited experience though, the more bland the flavour they try and emulate, the easier it is to stomach, so I'll always try the watermelon flavour of something first. Probably don't give the same boost as gels, but these bad boys are really yummy. I have come home drunk and hungry on more than one occasion, and had a pack :o

That plan is similar, but mine is slightly different. My plan is 16 weeks and I have completed 3 of those weeks. My marathon is on April 7th. :) I see you've signed yourself up for one - when is yours?

Thanks for the info on the gels....(note to self: stay away from Kinetica Summer Berries) but that other one does look quite yummy!
    Oryx wrote: »
    Hydrating gels suit me best but I havent found any yet that don't make me queasy after I've taken a few of them. Its a trial and error job to get the right one. You sound like you are flying through the plan, tho. Anyone who turbos after an lsr is proper hardcore :)

That was supposed to be a long SLOW run? The plan just calls it Key Run #3: Long Run. Missed the memo that it's supposed to be categorized as a LSR. Good grief....no wonder there's all this squawking.....I am so clueless. Give me a pair of goggles and a pool any day! ;)

Swim Session!!!

This was a totally unconventional and uncharacteristic session today, but it really was what I needed after a pretty intense week of working out. I hopped in the pool mulling over a plan but hadn't committed to anything concrete other than a 500 yard warm up, at least 4500 yards total, and approximately 90 minutes of pool time. During this 500 yard warm up, I got into this rhythm that was relaxing, so I talked myself into going another 500. Well, the rhythm of my stoke became so automatic and effortless that I didn't want to break the delightful rhythm and I decided I'd go 100 lengths of the pool (2500 yards). By the time I reached 100 lengths I was in this "place" that I didn't want to leave so I decided I'd just keep going and see how far I could go without any rest. I made it 5000 yards with no break. Could have gone farther, but I did want to keep my limit of approx 90 minutes in the pool, plus I had a few 100 yard butterflies to do.

5000 yards free
    3 sets of 200 yard kick, 100 yard butterfly
    100 yard cool down
    Clock said 1:38:57 when I made my final touch at 6000 yards. :)

• Advertisement

I would complain that you owe us a few more lengths of butterfly, but christ 6000 yards? That works out at 5.4km. I'd struggle to run that on some days!! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No races planned before the marathon. I will really, really make a conscious effort to slow it down next weekend for the 20 miler for I understand what you are saying about the body complaining at a certain point. I assume that is hitting the wall. I'm new to running and have so much to learn (and many mistakes yet to make), so I really appreciate your guidance in this regard. I will look forward to next weekend's run that I hope will give me greater insight into my marathon ability. I may look to you after that run to give me your assessment. Thanks again! :). (what are you doing up so late?)

Usually you will do some of your long runs at marathon pace. Depending on experience/ability you'd do probably between 8 and 13 miles after your 'warm up'. Runs at marathon pace help prepare you for the demands of the marathon, so doing your long runs faster than race pace have no real benefit as they're not stimulating whats going to happen on the day. PMP (predicted marathon pace) runs help you get a sense of what your pace will feel like as you start to fatigue, give you an idea whether you can maintain that pace as you tire or whether you need to reassess your pace and give you a chance to take on water and fuel at MP etc.

Long runs have different purposes some should stimulate marathon conditions but some should just be about time on feet. P&D suggesst that your longest run, for most people that would be about 22 miles, should take more or less as long as your goal pace. So it would take you about 3:40 to 3:50 at even pace.

Probably most importantly, long runs improve you glycogen storage and teach your body to utilize it's fat stores which is vital for the marathon once you hit the later stages.

I recommend isogels, if you're like me, normal gels will have your head melted wondering if you've taken on enough water to make it work efficiently. My favourite run food is jelly babies though. :)

Edit: I'd love to say I was up because I have a hectic social life, but, I was home by 10:30 and I can never sleep. :(

I would complain that you owe us a few more lengths of butterfly, but christ 6000 yards? That works out at 5.4km. I'd struggle to run that on some days!! :eek:

I only counted 3 tumble turn stories - you , Bambaata, and Shotgun - thus only 3 x 100's fly. :) Did I miss a story??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I think theres another 10 there somewhere ;-)

Usually you will do some of your long runs at marathon pace. Depending on experience/ability you'd do probably between 8 and 13 miles after your 'warm up'. Runs at marathon pace help prepare you for the demands of the marathon, so doing your long runs faster than race pace have no real benefit as they're not stimulating whats going to happen on the day. PMP (predicted marathon pace) runs help you get a sense of what your pace will feel like as you start to fatigue, give you an idea whether you can maintain that pace as you tire or whether you need to reassess your pace and give you a chance to take on water and fuel at MP etc.

Long runs have different purposes some should stimulate marathon conditions but some should just be about time on feet. P&D suggesst that your longest run, for most people that would be about 22 miles, should take more or less as long as your goal pace. So it would take you about 3:40 to 3:50 at even pace.

Probably most importantly, long runs improve you glycogen storage and teach your body to utilize it's fat stores which is vital for the marathon once you hit the later stages.

I recommend isogels, if you're like me, normal gels will have your head melted wondering if you've taken on enough water to make it work efficiently. My favourite run food is jelly babies though. :)

Edit: I'd love to say I was up because I have a hectic social life, but, I was home by 10:30 and I can never sleep. :(

You da bomb - thanks! It hit me today as I was driving to the pool that perhaps part of the reason to go at a slower than mp was to have my body put in the "time" that it will (hopefully) take me to complete the marathon, even though the mileage on that particular training run is less than 26.2 miles. I assume that is what is meant by time on feet.

Isogels...will look into them. Jelly babies? Is that what we call jelly beans? If so, that's been my favorite snack of choice thus far too. Gummi bears are good, but I always feel like I'm choking on them if I try to run and chew. Catweazle told me his gel intake schedule - what is yours on a marathon?

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    I think theres another 10 there somewhere ;-)

If you can find them, I'll do them!

Jelly babies!

175-main-JellyBabies.jpg

I don't train with gels or water. 99% of the time I train on empty but in a marathon I'd usually take a gel at 8 or 9 miles, then every 40 minutes or so after that so 9 miles, 14, 19, 22 or so. Training with gels will teach you to recognise the signs that you'll need one soon so you'll know what signs to look for in the actual marathon. I had a plan for my last marathon but the heat on the day that was unexpected completely messed that up for me and I ended up needing one more gel than I had with me.

I only counted 3 tumble turn stories - you , Bambaata, and Shotgun - thus only 3 x 100's fly. :) Did I miss a story??

My mistake, I read "3 sets of 200 yard kick, 100 yard butterfly" as being 3 x 200 kick, and 100 butterfly after it all, rather than 3 x (200kick + 100 fly).

Carry on, part Dory, part fish :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thats a pretty big old swim session right there, did you star in this film by any chance:)

Thats a pretty big old swim session right there, did you star in this film by any chance:)

Technically, I was considered only a supporting star for filling in as Daryl Hannah's stunt double on all those endurance mermaid swims. ;)

(hey, I'm just trying to keep up with you boys on the swim part of the SBR challenge.....which is hard right now being so far from a pool! I'm wondering how long 10k would take me in one session...and if the lifeguards would think I was totally whacked. :eek:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Carry on, part Dory, part fish :pac:

Definitely not a delay fish ;)
    I'm getting tired just reading your numbers Dory :o

Key workout #1 of the week. God awful intervals. Puke city.

2 miles easy warm up at 10 min/mile
    5 x (1,000 meters @ 6:58 min/mile pace, 400 meters recovery easy)
    1.54 miles cool down
    Total 7.66 miles in 70 minutes with 9:08 min/mile avg pace

Nothing remarkable about this session...not even the music I chose. Was tough, and I was hating life for the last portion of each fast interval.

Since I really stink at cycling, I am going to try to get a little more time in the saddle to force myself to embrace this discipline and hopefully improve my ability; therefore, I switched iPod gears to Foo Fighters, and hoisted myself onto the trainer and started pedaling. 10 miles in 39 minutes. Slow, but the best I could do. I'll keep at it. But on a positive note, the way cool leather arse hammock with the cut out that my brother put on my bike is really wonderful! Didn't even need cycling shorts tonight. :)

90 minutes of yoga completed. I feel like a new woman. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Crikeys just catching up on your log there Dory and I'm knackered after reading it. Great work there so long may it continue :)

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Crikeys just catching up on your log there Dory and I'm knackered after reading it. Great work there so long may it continue :)

I hope I can keep it going, but between training for my first marathon and trying to keep up with the folks on the SBR Challenge (it's only the 10th of January!), I'm starting to feel my age. :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never give in to your age. Just forget about it, it's irrelevant. I have a wonderful 86 yo friend who still skis and is currently learning to sail a yacht so she can get her own. So age disgracefully, in lycra. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    So age disgracefully, in lycra. :)

Now that is funny!! And yes, I'm kicking and screaming the whole way!

I hope I can keep it going, but between training for my first marathon and trying to keep up with the folks on the SBR Challenge (it's only the 10th of January!), I'm starting to feel my age. :eek:

This being the same challenge you are trying to convince me to sign up to :eek:...

As Oryx says age is no limit to anything.

This being the same challenge you are trying to convince me to sign up to :eek:...

As Oryx says age is no limit to anything.

Oh, but the challenge is so much fun! Cough, cough... And, at the urging of one participant (thank you RQ), shotgun has promised uber-cool tri suits to all participants, amazing prizes to the winners of each category, and cash for each referral made. PLUS, rumor has it there will be a red carpet year end bash at the conclusion of this challenge at shotgun's new digs. Don't forget to mention my name when you sign up. ;)

Oryx is a wise woman. :)

Massive session on the trainer!!

My bike is my friend.....my bike is my friend....

Whenever I do something physically taxing and repetitive for long periods of time, I try to relax my body and let the momentum of the movement do as much of the work as possible, thus conserving energy. Or at least that's what I tell myself when I'm doing that repetitive and physically taxing activity.

Other than my left cheek falling asleep 2 or 3 times, this was a good session for me on the trainer. I decided to opt out of anything concussive (no running) and only do the bike tonight......and 25 miles and 1 hour and 37 minutes later my work was done. Highlights of the ride included honing my lip-synching skills and wondering if naming my bike would result in a better working relationship with it. ;)

Oh, but the challenge is so much fun! Cough, cough... And, at the urging of one participant (thank you RQ), shotgun has promised uber-cool tri suits to all participants, amazing prizes to the winners of each category, and cash for each referral made. PLUS, rumor has it there will be a red carpet year end bash at the conclusion of this challenge at shotgun's new digs. Don't forget to mention my name when you sign up. ;)

Oryx is a wise woman. :)

That's some hard sell there Dory, impressed. You had me at the word challenge though :D

That's some hard sell there Dory, impressed. You had me at the word challenge though :D

Yeah, I saw. Congrats! You're now lumped into the insane lot of us. Make sure you tell shotgun what size and color tri suit you want and I'll be looking for my referral check in the mail. ;)

Going into tonight I knew three things: tonight was tempo night, Caps were playing the stinking Penguins, and I had no chores I needed to do, thus allowing me plenty of time to put into the treadmill and trainer while I watched my boys on ice.

I felt good tonight - the 4 miles of tempo was tough, especially when I put it on a bit of incline, but it wasn't horrible. The easy run after the tempo was delightful.....I did it at an easy 10 min/miles pace, but it really was relaxing. The bike was also a decent spin. I like to keep my pace between 14 and 16-ish mph, and I kept it nicely above 15.

Treadmill:
    1 easy mile @ 10 min/mile
    4 miles @ 8 min/mile
    5 easy miles @ 10 min/mile
    Total of 10 miles in 92 minutes @ 9:12 avg min/mile

Trainer:
    10 miles in 36 minutes

All I can say is, after all this work I better have some pretty damn good looking legs!

Caps up after 2 periods 1-0. :)

• Advertisement

As week 2 of the SBR challenge draws near it's conclusion, I can honestly say that I've worked my fanny off. And because I've worked my fanny off, my legs (and body, but mainly legs) are fatigued and slightly sore, so I was quite surprised when I hopped on my trainer tonight and felt really strong. In fact, I felt so strong that I had my hubby double check everything on my bike (while I was peddalling) to make sure no setting had been changed to make my ride easier. Nope. It was all good. I guess I'm making cycling strides and improving....even though I haven't a clue how to train on a bike like Oryx does. :)

After the bike, I decided to spend a bit of time on the treadmill because tomorrow is a rest day. Might as well push some limits before a day of feet up. Musical artist of choice for tonight's brick was Jack White.

Trainer: 21 miles in 1 hour 17 minutes
    Treadmill: 6 miles in 53:07 for an avg pace of 8:50 min/mile

Rest tomorrow (yay!).....but a BIG weekend that will include a 20 mile run and a massive swim. :D

Advertisement