Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »

If you don't perform as predicted and expected on race day we are gonna kick your american butt the whole length of O'Connell street afterwards.

No pressure, like.

Just make sure I have been properly numbed by liquidy libations before you start kicking my butt down O'Connell Street.

OMG...I leave for Ireland a week from tomorrow!! :eek::eek::eek:

And based on my past performances (translation: think crash and burn, dying a slow death, missing all targets :(), as long as I go a sub 3:30 I will consider this race a success. You, little Ms. Triathlon Barbie, are certainly setup to have a great day out and be waiting for me at the finish line. Preferably holding a bar of chocolate with my name on it. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Youre right about the chocolate, but not about the waiting! Ill give the chocolate to your hobbit and he can dangle it in front of you all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And based on my past performances (translation: think crash and burn, dying a slow death, missing all targets :(), as long as I go a sub 3:30 I will consider this race a success. You, little Ms. Triathlon Barbie, are certainly setup to have a great day out and be waiting for me at the finish line. Preferably holding a bar of chocolate with my name on it. ;)

You're not missing the A goal on my watch!

For clarity, what is the A goal again? I just want to make sure its what I know DD can do.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Ooooo.....my marathon knight in shining armor! Hopefully I'll still feel this way about you after spending 3 hours and 20 minutes under your watchful eye. ;)
    Oryx wrote: »
    For clarity, what is the A goal again? I just want to make sure its what I know DD can do.

The plan is to go with BeepBeep's 3:20 train and try and hang on for as long as possible. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The plan is to go with BeepBeep's 3:20 train and try and hang on for as long as possible. :D

Fixed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Or on mine, we gonna tag team your a$$ Dory (that sounds wrong) it will be good cop bad cop for 26miles. You are ready for it.

Wednesday, October 16th, 2013

Run plan: easy

This post will be very short due to the actively-dripping-blood-and-I-can't-get-it-to-stop kitchen knife wound on my left hand I am dealing with. :(

Suffice it to say.....this was a field run....4 times around....mild evening....did it at recovery pace.

Actual: 2.8 recovery field miles

Thursday, October 17th, 2013

Plan: easy

This was 5 laps in the field under an ominous sky. There was something thrilling about running at dusk with the wind urgently whipping about....and doubly thrilling with the foreboding that was displayed in the blueish-blackish backdrop that surrounded me. Energy translated into freedom. Twas a nice little run.

Actual: 3.5 breezy, thrilling field miles

Friday, October 18th, 2013

Good lord if I workout any less than I am, I'll fall into the ranks of the dreaded weekend athlete. :eek: And I'm feeling fat due to the decreased physical activity and I'm really trying to watch what I shovel in my mouth. :eek: I'm enjoying allowing my body to rest, but give me a 50+ mile run week any day over this piddling mileage I'm doing right now...there's just too much guilt in not working myself into a sweaty mess and tired heap. :(

But the run....this was done sneaky lunchtime style - 4 perky laps in the field under a beautiful blue sky. Today was one of those classic fall days here - crisp and clear with a slight breeze - perfect for a noontime trot. :)

Actual: 2.8 perky, sunshiny field miles

• Advertisement

^ lol at taper talk.

Saturday, October 19th, 2013

Run plan: 90 minutes easy w/3 miles at MP

Well, it's a little hard to keep the horses down when they've been confined to a stall for days....and so it was equally hard to keep the easy down after the legs have been underutilized for days. I did this post-work in the mid-morning chill through town and then on the Greenway. My original pace intentions were blown to smithereens within the first mile, so I accepted a sliding-scale plan with the promise of not going too far off the mark. Originally I had thought the easy would be 8:15 to 8:30....and the MP ~7:30ish (7:37 adjusted for Garmin inaccuracies ;)), but when the easy was coming in at sub 8 and then inching towards 7:30, I decided I'd have to lower my MP target to 7:20. :o The final few miles post MP miles were still sub 8, but there was a little more work involved in them than just easy. I'd say their effort was between MP effort and easy effort, but it just felt good to run at that pace....so I did.

We're nearly there. A handful of easy runs, one race simulation, bags to pack, a plane to catch, and friends to meet. That's about all that's left until the big day. Whoop whoop! :)

7:55, 7:42, 7:29, 7:45, 7:42, 7:31
    MP miles: 7:20, 7:19, 7:17
    7:43, 7:42, 6:47 (7:43)

Actual: 11.9 miles in 1:30:18 for an average pace of 7:35 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

MP 7:20 :eek: Some progression over the last few months. 3:12 target next week ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭El Director

Saturday, October 19th, 2013

Run plan: 90 minutes easy w/3 miles at MP

Well, it's a little hard to keep the horses down when they've been confined to a stall for days....and so it was equally hard to keep the easy down after the legs have been underutilized for days. I did this post-work in the mid-morning chill through town and then on the Greenway. My original pace intentions were blown to smithereens within the first mile, so I accepted a sliding-scale plan with the promise of not going too far off the mark. Originally I had thought the easy would be 8:15 to 8:30....and the MP ~7:30ish (7:37 adjusted for Garmin inaccuracies ;)), but when the easy was coming in at sub 8 and then inching towards 7:30, I decided I'd have to lower my MP target to 7:20. :o The final few miles post MP miles were still sub 8, but there was a little more work involved in them than just easy. I'd say their effort was between MP effort and easy effort, but it just felt good to run at that pace....so I did.

We're nearly there. A handful of easy runs, one race simulation, bags to pack, a plane to catch, and friends to meet. That's about all that's left until the big day. Whoop whoop! :)

7:55, 7:42, 7:29, 7:45, 7:42, 7:31
    MP miles: 7:20, 7:19, 7:17
    7:43, 7:42, 6:47 (7:43)

Actual: 11.9 miles in 1:30:18 for an average pace of 7:35 min/mile

Haven't had much time for reading logs in the few months but had to check in here just to see what was going on. Wow, as MCOS said, that is some progression. Looks like you are bringing your A game to this fair Isle.

El D's top tip: Don't forget to wear your compression gear on the flight over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're in flying form (forgive the pun :D)
    Best of luck with the travel. I'm sure we'll catch you at some point of your trip - even if it's just in McGrattans after its all over (assuming you haven't headed for the hills by the time I get finished :P)

MP 7:20 :eek: Some progression over the last few months. 3:12 target next week ?!

:eek::eek::eek: NOOOO!!! Good god, no, I am not (read my lips) NOT targeting 3:12. !!!! I was just feeling frisky from fresh legs today. I will be targeting 3:20 and hope to hang on to BeepBeep and JB's coat tails to make it through unscathed. I figure based on my recent HM time, no harm in trying. Fingers crossed. ;):)
    Haven't had much time for reading logs in the few months but had to check in here just to see what was going on. Wow, as MCOS said, that is some progression. Looks like you are bringing your A game to this fair Isle.

El D's top tip: Don't forget to wear your compression gear on the flight over ;)

Compression gear on the flight? Really? I assume for circulation and swelling? Do you just wear tights? Or compression top too? I have tights, tops, calf sleeves, thigh sleeves, arm sleeves. ??? Oh god, more to worry about! ;)
    Emer911 wrote: »
    You're in flying form (forgive the pun :D)
    Best of luck with the travel. I'm sure we'll catch you at some point of your trip - even if it's just in McGrattans after its all over (assuming you haven't headed for the hills by the time I get finished :P)

Oh, I'll be in McGrattans for sure! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭El Director

Haha...nothing to worry about. It helps encourages circulation and prevents swelling on long haul flights. I wear calf sleeves and tights as well. This problem does not affect everyone but I say, "why take a chance?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I am sure your coach is saying the same but slow down a little and keep that energy bundled up to let loose on race day. There is a strong possibility given recent indications that we will be sending you on your way at mile 20 :)

I am sure your coach is saying the same but slow down a little and keep that energy bundled up to let loose on race day. There is a strong possibility given recent indications that we will be sending you on your way at mile 20 :)

Energy bundled....check. Very hard to do for this zippity pippity gal, but yes, yes, yes......I know. Thanks :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When are you flying over?

• Advertisement

When are you flying over?

Hey! My plane lands on your soil Friday morning. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I hear you might be doing a Park Run on saturday morning?
    I might join you- if only to slow you down and stop you haring off for a PB ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »

I swear I didn't send him :P

menoscemo wrote: »

Ha! I see I've a bit of a reputation around here :o - but I would love to be done with that awful, awful 5k time of mine. Good grief, the average pace of that 5k PB is only 3 seconds per mile faster than my HM PB mile pace!! :eek: But...more to the point....the need for sleep after taking the red eye may win out over the park run. (Marthastew, the need for sleep after taking the red eye may win out over the park run. :( )

Sunday, October 20th, 2013

I had family over for a good bit of the day, so this was done after the evening shift at work. 5 laps easing around the field in the chilly evening sunshine, and whoop whoop, this one was in the books.

Started to gather a few items to pack - like my passport, euros, running socks, and body glide. That's it so far....not a great start. :o I am a last minute packer.....just can't be bothered until I'm running out of time and feel very pushed and stressed. Not sure why I subject myself to such torture.

Actual: 3.5 easy field miles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hey! My plane lands on your soil Friday morning. :D

Crap, am I meant to be making you a cake? :)

Dory, I'd love to make you a big chcoclate cake! :)

Now we're talking!!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Crap, am I meant to be making you a cake? :)

Well it is her birthday !!! tut tut

because she wasn't here for her real one

Pity, the statute of limitations is up on the birthday. ;)

• Advertisement

Still think you should wear a party hat all the way.

Advertisement