Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭micha5L

Hi

I had the same problem. Was routing keyboard and mouse through a usb hub once I put them directly on the unit. It stopped dropping the connection, and became more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The only USB device plugged in is USB HD , I dont have a keyboard etc in it, I ssh from my own PC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Hehe, I have the exact same rolson vice as gert has in this video,

and this is exactly how I crimped my own ribbon cables for another project!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1404

It's definitely the easiest way of doing it, and getting it even.

Using a pliers tends to put pressure only in one spot, and if you dont start from the middle you could break it easily.

That vice was only 15 euro in maplin at the time i think, and is very reasonable for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Still no word from anyone as to when I might get in on the pi action.

It's really annoying as I was in on day one, registered and everything, but have heard nothing back. What's the best thing for me to do now at this stage other than joining the back of the queue does anyone know?

Still no word from anyone as to when I might get in on the pi action.

It's really annoying as I was in on day one, registered and everything, but have heard nothing back. What's the best thing for me to do now at this stage other than joining the back of the queue does anyone know?

Well there is a lengthy backlog, and they are going for big money online.

Mate got his in the post same day as me, flogged it a few hours later on ebay for €250

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mate got his in the post same day as me, flogged it a few hours later on ebay for €250

I hope you gave him a good tap to the nadgers for doing that :mad: Bloody speculators :(

He bought it fully intending to use it, but like me, he has like 3 ordered day one. We just have to wait a while for our other ones.

He said he could wait for his other ones, he is a very experienced linux user, where as I am in love with mine and cant stop messing with it.

But he definitely didnt buy one with intent on making profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

So he sold it for €250 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    So he sold it for €250 :rolleyes:

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,995 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He couldn't sell it for €250 unless some eejit was willing to pay €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Mine arrived today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Mine's ordered & paid for, just waiting for it to arrive. Can't wait :D

I ordered mine 4 weeks ago today so you might be waiting a while :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

He bought it fully intending to use it, but like me, he has like 3 ordered day one. We just have to wait a while for our other ones.

He said he could wait for his other ones, he is a very experienced linux user, where as I am in love with mine and cant stop messing with it.

Hmm. Yeah, it does sound like he was totally intending to use it, with the way he ordered three of them on the first day they went on sale, and promptly sold off the first one to arrive at a massive markup to some bellend who's equally deserving of a clip round the bollix for being willing to pay that price...

Meh, in fairness the price had died down immensely, but thinking about it I should have done the same. We would constantly talk about Pi on lunch and in work and what we could possibly do and what we would do.

I ordered the same amount on release, granted I can clearly see some people are having a guff cause they havnt got one yet, but ****it, if people will pay that much, why not buy yourself a few, hes paid his off and made a few bob on the side : /

On topic, the community forum is an insane read, the things people are doing and attepting to do is brilliant.

Have put up a few threads for thoughts on ideas and troubleshooting and its top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Got my offer to pre order today, Saying it should be august. TBH I'm not sure about getting it now as I can't think of a project and have already spent too much money lately on IT gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

mine arrived today.

Ordered on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Meesared wrote: »
    I ordered mine 4 weeks ago today so you might be waiting a while :p
    Nah I ordered mine as far back as day 2....and guess what...IT ARRIVED!!!! on Tuesday :D

It is the coolest piece of kit too. There is something magical about running an X session @ 1080p in total silence. Now it's project time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Just got my dispatch email from Farnell...:D

I'm totally unprepared for it though. Just ordered a Nokia AC-10X off ebay for power, need to get a SD card and case too. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

The Pi is VERY picky when it comes to SD's pick one from this list:
    http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

Youll need a HDMI cable too also check if your mouse and keyboard will work with it on that page too

Nah I ordered mine as far back as day 2....and guess what...IT ARRIVED!!!! on Tuesday :D

It is the coolest piece of kit too. There is something magical about running an X session @ 1080p in total silence. Now it's project time ;)

Might be just mine, but the desktop GUI seems nail crunchingly slow, just me?

Running mine headless because of it

The faster SD you get the faster it will run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Still waiting to order one of these, plan to use it as a sort of HTPC (without the storage) at first, then move on to learning python on it. Is there anywhere accepting orders at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Got my order update to say mine will be sent week commencing 09/07 so naturally im getting excited. Time to start buying SD cards to try the different distro's + Raspbmc (What i'll mainly be using it for at the moment when i'm not messing around with debian).

is MemoryC one of the better places to buy the SD cards or are there any sites users would suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

got an email confirming that it had left the farnell facility in england(i presume)
    yesterday.
    heres hoping I may get it tomorrow(for weekend tinkering!)
    exciting times ahead.
    slan
    j:D:D:D

Meesared wrote: »
    The faster SD you get the faster it will run

I think the feedback from Raspberrypi.org is that simply put the fact there is no dedicated HD makes it a tedious process for using for a sickbeard setup.

I'm sticking to using my main PC, pity as the Raspi was mainly bought to act as a download manager.

Currently operating as a simple irc bouncer, hopefully some stability upgrades coming down the line make it better to use for downloading.

Most people's PI's seemto suffer from SD write problems, regardless or the quality of the SD card used.

I think the feedback from Raspberrypi.org is that simply put the fact there is no dedicated HD makes it a tedious process for using for a sickbeard setup.

I'm sticking to using my main PC, pity as the Raspi was mainly bought to act as a download manager.

Currently operating as a simple irc bouncer, hopefully some stability upgrades coming down the line make it better to use for downloading.

Most people's PI's seemto suffer from SD write problems, regardless or the quality of the SD card used.
    The Debian Weezy beta seems to clear up a lot of SD issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Well I have everything I need except a clue.

Just got the Raspberry Pi to try and get a better understanding of Linux but first I'm going to (possibly) use it for XBMC and see how it goes, I'm aware of its limitations with codecs etc. but how well does it work when streaming from a PC where thats doing the transcoding?

OpenElec or Raspbmc? Any opinions on which is more stable/less glitchy?

IMG_0421.JPG Upsidedown picture fail!!!!

• Advertisement

Raspbmc would be my preferred choice, it is built specifically for the Pi, OpenElec, is a bit more "Mature" but its a bit more multiplatform, and isn't quite so platform specific.

Btw thats a nice keyboard, where did you get it?

Advertisement