Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Farnell and RS are now open to general orders, so I'm looking at a quote for another 5 to get my bramble project rolling.

One thing I'm wondering for the bramble is power - obviously I could just get 5 individual power supplies, but that seems inefficient. I'd prefer to get 1 unit that I can use to power all of them.

The next thing is how to mount them - Lego-type building bricks are one option, but I haven't seen any reports of people's progress with bramble-type projects, beyond general interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

The cases on RS seem good value to others I have seen elsewhere,on back order though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1605

Raspbian released. Rumours bought this the last few weeks. Basically an OS designed specifically for the PI with massive performance upgrades etc.

Will upgrade when I'm back home next month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Pi and t shirt arrived today, woot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Fysh wrote: »
    One thing I'm wondering for the bramble is power - obviously I could just get 5 individual power supplies, but that seems inefficient. I'd prefer to get 1 unit that I can use to power all of them.

Could you possible use a USB hub to distribute the power. Only problem might be that it wouldn't provide enough power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Sorry if I've just jumped in and missed the answers to this question already, but I'm wondering what projects are people planning to use the raspberry pi for? I've been using arduino for years, but obviously this is quite a different piece of kit with a whole new range of possibilities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

matrim wrote: »
    Could you possible use a USB hub to distribute the power. Only problem might be that it wouldn't provide enough power

Yeah, I've ended up opting for a 7-port powered USB hub - didn't cost much, and neither will 5 short USB-Micro-B cables. Hopefully shouldn't cause any problems, but we shall see.

Next question is what switch to go for - I'd love to get a "proper" Cisco switch, so I can tinker with switch configuration as well, but that would cost of the order of hundreds of pounds, whereas I can get a cheapy Netgear that'll do the basics for about £20. Plus, a proper switch is overkill for a testing network or 4-node compute cluster...
    Daddio wrote: »
    Sorry if I've just jumped in and missed the answers to this question already, but I'm wondering what projects are people planning to use the raspberry pi for? I've been using arduino for years, but obviously this is quite a different piece of kit with a whole new range of possibilities.

There's a separate thread here where people have been talking about their planned projects. Out of the ideas on boards so far RasPiBoy is my favourite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Daddio wrote: »

Been using mine as a

Download manager ( for newsgroups torrents etc)
    IRC bouncer ( connected to irc 24/7)
    Personal portal ( web address only I can log into that has loads of stuff like personalised RSS, new, weather , twitter feeds and all that good jazz)

Not working well as a download manager at all to be honest, its just not writing to the SD or USB HDD fast enough, its quicker to do through my PC which is a shame

TheDoc wrote: »
    Been using mine as a

Download manager ( for newsgroups torrents etc)
    IRC bouncer ( connected to irc 24/7)
    Personal portal ( web address only I can log into that has loads of stuff like personalised RSS, new, weather , twitter feeds and all that good jazz)

Not working well as a download manager at all to be honest, its just not writing to the SD or USB HDD fast enough, its quicker to do through my PC which is a shame

It's a tad disappointing but not entirely unsurprising that writing to disk isn't fast enough for a download manager :(

I've been thinking that with a suitably-configured home network a Pi might be a nice gateway/DMZ-type device. It'd only really make sense if at least some of the other network gear supported WOL, and really only makes sense at all for certain usage criteria, but given that I'm still looking at this as a "let's see what I can make it do" project, I might tinker anyway. (I probably need to replace my crap cheapy DLink router with something worth a damn first...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Anyone having trouble getting 1Channel addon to work with Raspbmc? I can't for the life of me seem to get it working to stream anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm looking for an GPS receiver with external power and external antenna that would work with RPI - any ideas? It's for an in-car project and simple USB dongle might not be good enough - I'm concerned about power supply from RPi and hard to change location in the car.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm looking for an GPS receiver with external power and external antenna that would work with RPI - any ideas? It's for an in-car project and simple USB dongle might not be good enough - I'm concerned about power supply from RPi and hard to change location in the car.

Take a look at Dave Akerman's Pi In The Sky project - he successfully got some sort of GPS tracking working. The only verified peripherals on Elinux are USB-based and thus subject to potential power issues.

On a separate note Farnell have just told me that my 5 Pis are on the way :D The only thing I'm waiting on now is my batch of preinstalled SD cards (which I got because I had inconsistent results trying to get several of my current SD cards working with the Fedora remix, so I figured they were worth it just in case). Next job is figuring out some way of mounting them - I've got a 100MB switch for networking and a powered 7-port hub for power delivery (hopefully should be enough, though we'll see), so I'm thinking some sort of Lego-type assembly might be worth trying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lads my Rpi is on the way to me, and I need a wireless USB stick and SD card (8gb should be enough unless larger is not much more expensive). any suggestions for either? preferably ordering from amazon.co.uk if possible?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    lads my Rpi is on the way to me, and I need a wireless USB stick and SD card (8gb should be enough unless larger is not much more expensive). any suggestions for either? preferably ordering from amazon.co.uk if possible?

There's a list of working wireless LAN adapters here, and a list of working SD cards here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Looks like this [1] or that [2] could work with RPi. The connection through serial port, power supply wouldn't be an issue. I can't wait to get my RPi....

[1] http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11058
    [2] http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8234

Anyone know where I can get any RPi cases from Ireland? I've looked at ebay etc but I thought that by now someone in Ireland might have set up a case shop somewhere which would probably be cheaper on P&P etc

Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

EJ22 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get any RPi cases from Ireland? I've looked at ebay etc but I thought that by now someone in Ireland might have set up a case shop somewhere which would probably be cheaper on P&P etc

Cheers in advance
    Someone posted he was selling them a few pages back, he's selling them on adverts.ie for 15 incl postage I think.

I'm waiting on the postman myself for my PI, any day now, it shipped last friday :D

whitesands wrote: »
    Someone posted he was selling them a few pages back, he's selling them on adverts.ie for 15 incl postage I think.

I'm waiting on the postman myself for my PI, any day now, it shipped last friday :D

Yeah I seen that post and checked adverts.ie but there were none on last time. Ah well guess I can track back and throw out a PM and see if there are any available.

and woot exciting times, if it helps they shipped mine on a thursday and i had it on the wednesday

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

The processor on my pi is running quite hot, is this normal? I have it overclocked to 900mhz without any overvolting, from what I've read it should be safe once you don't overvolt. I'm thinking of trying to find a little heatsink for it for a little peace of mind but maybe it is normal for it to run hot considering it is a mobile phone SoC which would have very little ventilation.

whitesands wrote: »

As soon as I posted that i checked again and long behold there they were.. don't worry it seems to be my thing to make myself look like a plank on boards :P
    Neodymium wrote: »
    The processor on my pi is running quite hot, is this normal? I have it overclocked to 900mhz without any overvolting, from what I've read it should be safe once you don't overvolt. I'm thinking of trying to find a little heatsink for it for a little peace of mind but maybe it is normal for it to run hot considering it is a mobile phone SoC which would have very little ventilation.

Here's a nice little heatsink for the pi, going to invest in one myself http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heatsink-Raspberry-Pi-/330758220781?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4d02b9ebed#ht_1515wt_1139

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A heatsink on a cpu that only gets up to 56C? Surely that is completely unnecessary?

I know some people see a certain phallic beauty in heatsinks, but c'mon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

unkel wrote: »
    A heatsink on a cpu that only gets up to 56C? Surely that is completely unnecessary?

I know some people see a certain phallic beauty in heatsinks, but c'mon :p

I don't know what temperature mine is reaching but it's quite hot when I touch the cpu after I've had it running for about 6 hours.

After researching for a while I think a heatsink probably isn't the best idea for a board like this. If it comes loose I'll have a chunk of metal sitting on top of the board and possibly shorting the circuit aswell as it adding extra mechanical stresses to the chip by having an extra weight on top of it.

It's probably fine, I'm just being paranoid :o. I must get a better case for it anyway I've been using this case that I made since I got it and I don't think It has much ventilation, the paper is probably acting as an insulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I have instaleld raspbmc on my computer. Don't know if it is picking up the internet? Have it on a wired lan... is there an internet browser? Couldn't see it in the add on programs.

It has automatically detected my router and settings (And installed so must have been on the net at that stage) my main problem is how to add my NAs (Zxyel NSA 310) I can't figure out how to see it. it's ip address is 192.168.1.5 but no idea how to go about adding it.. don't suppose anybody knows what to put into the location and what type of network it is? or if there's a turorial anywhere!? not used to linux or anything having never used it much before so would need a step by step guide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

The zyxel will show under upnp devices when you go into add sources

• Advertisement

I have instaleld raspbmc on my computer. Don't know if it is picking up the internet? Have it on a wired lan... is there an internet browser?
    It's called midora, it's on the desktop, I only got my PI yesterday so can't help with your other question.

Advertisement