Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

whitesands wrote: »
    It's called midora, it's on the desktop, I only got my PI yesterday so can't help with your other question.

You must have installed a differnt OS... I installed raspbmc.. still in beta stage I think so I could be better off with a different version..... I'm using mine as a media player so wanted xmbc..... There's a browser of sorts but it's all displayed as text as oppoesed to html... and the pics are integrated.
    Chet T16 wrote: »
    The zyxel will show under upnp devices when you go into add sources

Thanks found it there but then when i double click on a folder the pi just freezes for about ten seconds and doesn't open the folder... frustrating

Think I might try wheezy-raspbian on another SD card, maybe it will work better, couldn't find any reason for the folder not opening... there's a fair amount of videos inside but I have them all on their own folder so as it's not taxing on computer's or media players to open as it's just a folder list, no previews or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Lads can Raspbmc be used so I can write files to the Pi over the network?

Lets say I want to snyc between a windows laptop and a usb hard drive connected to the Pi.

I can stream from the the files alright, but I was wondering if there was a way of writing files to the usb hdd connected to the Pi, over the network?

Cheers!

waveform wrote: »
    Lads can Raspbmc be used so I can write files to the Pi over the network?

Lets say I want to snyc between a windows laptop and a usb hard drive connected to the Pi.

I can stream from the the files alright, but I was wondering if there was a way of writing files to the usb hdd connected to the Pi, over the network?

Cheers!

Kinda answering my own question like a madman here but it appears FTP might be an option according to Raspbmc FAQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Kinda answering my own question like a madman here but it appears FTP might be an option according to Raspbmc FAQ!

FTP is alright. You could try SSH into the pi or use the Terminal in Raspbmc and try install samba server for it as the openelec builds have it installed. Then you should be able to connect the usb drive thats connected to the pi as a network drive on your laptop/computer.

I'm currently using the Squeezeplug OS so I can have miniDLNA, Samba and webmin installed for streaming around the house and I know with samba installed I can call the IP address of the pi and it'll connect to the usb through the mounting point.

Just an idea though might not even work with Raspbmc if they have it locked down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

You must have installed a differnt OS... I installed raspbmc.. still in beta stage I think so I could be better off with a different version..... I'm using mine as a media player so wanted xmbc..... There's a browser of sorts but it's all displayed as text as oppoesed to html... and the pics are integrated.
    Your right, I had wheezy raspbian, I got another SD card today & installed raspbmc.

Any idea how to watch youtube videos from it? I installed it & the youtube addon but the missus booted me from the TV before I got a chance to figure it out.

• Advertisement

Your right, I had wheezy raspbian, I got another SD card today & installed raspbmc.

Any idea how to watch youtube videos from it? I installed it & the youtube addon but the missus booted me from the TV before I got a chance to figure it out.

If I remember correctly, you select the addon, click search, enter what you want then tiles will appear onscreen with your search results, click enter on the tile you want and it'll start buffering and playing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Thanks found it there but then when i double click on a folder the pi just freezes for about ten seconds and doesn't open the folder... frustrating

Think I might try wheezy-raspbian on another SD card, maybe it will work better, couldn't find any reason for the folder not opening... there's a fair amount of videos inside but I have them all on their own folder so as it's not taxing on computer's or media players to open as it's just a folder list, no previews or anything

I had ~600gb of music on my '310 but it used to kill anything trying access it.

Movies do work going into folder view but i don't have many as its reserved for HD stuff, i couldn't get smooth playback on raspbmc anyway

EJ22 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, you select the addon, click search, enter what you want then tiles will appear onscreen with your search results, click enter on the tile you want and it'll start buffering and playing
    Tried that but no luck, the searches get 0 results :(

Tried that but no luck, the searches get 0 results :(

random.. if it helps, I installed the 1channel addon repository through terminal and then when i went into system->settings->addons->get addons and went to bstrdmkr's repository and installed the 1channel addon, it also installed others such as simple downloader for xbmc etc. Youtube was one of the addons it installed though and ever since its been working on my pi.

If you want do download the repository, SSH into your pi or use terminal by selecting to exit XBMC in the menu then pressing esc at the white screen, log in (default log in info is username: pi password: raspberry) and enter this code:

wget http:// repo.gosub.dk/bstrdsmkr/ repository/repository.bstrdsmkr-0.0.3.zip (remove the spaces in the link though)

Then go into system->settings->addons->install from a zip file. Go to the Home folder and you should see bstrdsmkr's repository there to be installed.

Hope this helps!

EJ22, thanks, I followed your instructions & it's working now :D

• Advertisement

EJ22, thanks, I followed your instructions & it's working now :D

Yay i'm glad :D as an added bonus you also now have channel1.ch for streaming tv episodes and movies :D sockshare/putlocker links seem to be down for alot of stuff at the moment but otherwise its solid :D

Movies do work going into folder view but i don't have many as its reserved for HD stuff, i couldn't get smooth playback on raspbmc anyway

So you reckon it's the 310 at fault? it works fine to my iomega and touchpad, brothers laptop etc. play movies on all these no bother...

600gb of music! I thought i was bad I've got 143, enough to play for 75.5 days according to itunes!

yeah my folders would be quite big, but everything is in subfolders so thought that wound't be an issue.....

Anybody else using a 310? It works fine from Raspbian but not when I run XMBC...

Yay i'm glad :D as an added bonus you also now have channel1.ch for streaming tv episodes and movies :D
    wow, I'd never heard of channel1, this is great, thanks :D

FTP is alright. You could try SSH into the pi or use the Terminal in Raspbmc and try install samba server for it as the openelec builds have it installed. Then you should be able to connect the usb drive thats connected to the pi as a network drive on your laptop/computer.

I'm currently using the Squeezeplug OS so I can have miniDLNA, Samba and webmin installed for streaming around the house and I know with samba installed I can call the IP address of the pi and it'll connect to the usb through the mounting point.

Just an idea though might not even work with Raspbmc if they have it locked down

Thanks for your post!

It lead me to this post on the Raspbmc forums:

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1405&pid=12699#pid12699

:)

Thanks for your post!

It lead me to this post on the Raspbmc forums:

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1405&pid=12699#pid12699

:)

Yay! no problemo!

So you reckon it's the 310 at fault? it works fine to my iomega and touchpad, brothers laptop etc. play movies on all these no bother...

600gb of music! I thought i was bad I've got 143, enough to play for 75.5 days according to itunes!

yeah my folders would be quite big, but everything is in subfolders so thought that wound't be an issue.....

Anybody else using a 310? It works fine from Raspbian but not when I run XMBC...
    I don't think it's at fault, more that it had a huge amount of files to display and it took a long time. Going into the folder view was the best option.

It could be more than 600, I worked it out as 6 months at 3.5 mins per song... I can't really complain if something chokes on it!

I've been trying out my MK802 but I'll give the Pi another go and do some testing with the 310

I don't think it's at fault, more that it had a huge amount of files to display and it took a long time. Going into the folder view was the best option.

It could be more than 600, I worked it out as 6 months at 3.5 mins per song... I can't really complain if something chokes on it!

I've been trying out my MK802 but I'll give the Pi another go and do some testing with the 310

Strange that mine works in the file browser environment but not in XMBC... bought the pi to use as a media player and haven't managed to play one video on it yet! Tried downloading vlc and kde media players but they can't find some files they need or something, downloaded mplayer but it won't play files, xmbc won't play them off the network.... I'm beginning to get frustrated! knowing nothing about linux doesn't help, don't even know how to run omx player as it's command line based, have been googling how to run it but couldnt find anything! This pi isn't as much fun as I'd hoped! I just want an xmbc image that will play videos over my network! failing that just any way to play files over my network! been trying various sd card images and nothing yet!

This is what I'm doing:

Videos-files-add videos-browse-upnp-nsa310-video-folders

Then picking my root video folder. At what point is yours freezing?

RPi to receive some ICS love

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

RPi to receive some ICS love

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1700

Very cool!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That'd be pretty cool to have android on it - hopefully we'll be able to run the netflix app on it then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oooh, Android-powered compute cluster :D

Thinking of hooking up a little TFT screen to this, seen the adafruit one but its out of stock at the moment. Also seen something like this which is used in Steve SI's Game Boy PC http://www.ebay.ie/itm/150715003190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3159wt_950

Anyone else got any other suggestions of screens they've used?

RC4 of Raspbmc is currently being uploaded to the mirrors, should be up within half an hour, here's a teaser

Currently re-imaging my card with RC4 and already its a hell of a lot faster installing. infact installation just finished
    EDIT: the difference between rc3 and rc4 is crazy

I've been messing about with it a few hours now & it's a big improvement :D

Youtube vids don't seem to work, but that's a minor problem I'm sure will be sorted soon, you got yours working ej?

I've been messing about with it a few hours now & it's a big improvement :D

Youtube vids don't seem to work, but that's a minor problem I'm sure will be sorted soon, you got yours working ej?

I actually didnt even try Youtube in my stupidness/tiredness. I was having too much fun on 1channel whilst also thinking of other raspberry pi related projects. So as I'm writing this (5 in the morning!) I'm rebooting my pi to test it out.

I can also confirm that I had no problems streaming a 720p video from youtube. Once again I installed youtube through my installation of 1channel as it done it automatically and its working flawlessly.

(PS: This is also on a 4mb line just for clarification of buffering speeds etc.)

I actually didnt even try Youtube in my stupidness/tiredness. I was having too much fun on 1channel whilst also thinking of other raspberry pi related projects. So as I'm writing this (5 in the morning!) I'm rebooting my pi to test it out.
    LOL, I'm the same, that 1channel addon is great. :D

You any ideas for hooking it up to an arduino? That will be interesting :pac:

LOL, I'm the same, that 1channel addon is great. :D

You any ideas for hooking it up to an arduino? That will be interesting :pac:

nah not personally. I'm more looking at making a 2 player cab with the usb from the i-pac coming out of the back of the casing to put into the pi, while using retroarch for some old school gaming ala nes/snes and mame

1channel is brilliant when the links are up :)

• Advertisement

Currently re-imaging my card with RC4 and already its a hell of a lot faster installing. infact installation just finished
    EDIT: the difference between rc3 and rc4 is crazy

Did you use the Windows Installer to download RC4?

Running that now, but not too sure if it's RC4 I'm getting!

Advertisement