Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hi all i have my pi running raspmc and its working great hooked up to my lg tv my tv remote is operating it great but i have no back button is there a way i can assign a button cheers in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

massy086 wrote: »
    hi all i have my pi running raspmc and its working great hooked up to my lg tv my tv remote is operating it great but i have no back button is there a way i can assign a button cheers in advance for any help

I'm fairly sure you can edit the remote.xml file. I think it should be in /home/pi/xbmc/userdata/keymaps to assign functions to key presses. I haven't tried to do this yet, but there does seem to be a few others with the same problem.

http://forums.pulse-eight.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=526 http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1656

There are also a few talking about posting their remote.xml file on xbmchub http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/892-raspbmc-rc4.html but I'm not sure that they have yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

http://forums.pulse-eight.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=526 http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=1656

There are also a few talking about posting their remote.xml file on xbmchub http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/raspberry-pi-discussion/892-raspbmc-rc4.html but I'm not sure that they have yet.[/QUOTE]

cheers that sorted it nicely :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Might have to throw a few bucks that way.

Also not completely on topic, but connectbot for android ssh's into the pi easily so if anyones looking for an alternative for on the fly ssh id recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

A guy I know bought a HDMI to VGA cable for his Pi but I don't think HDMI output works this way, I can't figure out where the conversion from digital to analog happens, I'm guessing it won't work for connecting Pi to regualr LCD monitor?
    Looks similar to this:
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00JBFEGOedyvqt/HDMI-Male-to-VGA-HD-15-Male-Cable-6ft-TLD-HV01-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want to plug an RPi into a TV with no HDMI, you could use a scart lead.

plenty available (and from UK suppliers) on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=raspberry+pi+scart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

BopNiblets wrote: »
    A guy I know bought a HDMI to VGA cable for his Pi but I don't think HDMI output works this way, I can't figure out where the conversion from digital to analog happens, I'm guessing it won't work for connecting Pi to regualr LCD monitor?
    Looks similar to this:
    http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00JBFEGOedyvqt/HDMI-Male-to-VGA-HD-15-Male-Cable-6ft-TLD-HV01-.jpg

It has to be an active converter, afaik the Pi's GPU offers no VGA signal output, so a passive converter is useless. I bought this and it works quite well with OpenElec and Raspbian. You'd have to spend more to get one with audio capabilities, but the output from the 3.5mm audio will do.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    if you want to plug an RPi into a TV with no HDMI, you could use a scart lead.

plenty available (and from UK suppliers) on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=raspberry+pi+scart

I looked around in my rat's nest of cables at home and I got an RCA audio to 3.5mm cable, an RCA video to RCA video cable and a RCA to SCART converter and I can connect my Pi to a non-HDMI display that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

It has to be an active converter, afaik the Pi's GPU offers no VGA signal output, so a passive converter is useless. I bought this and it works quite well with OpenElec and Raspbian. You'd have to spend more to get one with audio capabilities, but the output from the 3.5mm audio will do.

I looked around in my rat's nest of cables at home and I got an RCA audio to 3.5mm cable, an RCA video to RCA video cable and a RCA to SCART converter and I can connect my Pi to a non-HDMI display that way.
    yeah, i think it's pretty much the same thing, just all tidily tucked away inside the cable sleeve. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

Is there any talks about increasing the memory/specs in future models?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hi folks,

Thinking of getting a RPi. My main use case would be to have it connected to a TV 24/7, so I could watch YouTube, videos online, etc. rather than shunting my laptop all over the house with its 40 minute battery.

To do this, I guess I'd need a wireless dongle, a usb hub, wireless mouse & keyboard & flash player all working ok.

I've done a bit of googling, and it looks like all this is possible, but some wireless dongles aren't supported.

I guess, could someone confirm that this is all possible? And also, do you have any OS recommendations? I know my way around Fedora, etc. Is the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix decent? Or am I better off going with something else? Not got much experience with ARM based systems.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Thinking of getting a RPi. My main use case would be to have it connected to a TV 24/7, so I could watch YouTube, videos online, etc. rather than shunting my laptop all over the house with its 40 minute battery.

To do this, I guess I'd need a wireless dongle, a usb hub, wireless mouse & keyboard & flash player all working ok.

I've done a bit of googling, and it looks like all this is possible, but some wireless dongles aren't supported.

I guess, could someone confirm that this is all possible? And also, do you have any OS recommendations? I know my way around Fedora, etc. Is the Raspberry Pi Fedora Remix decent? Or am I better off going with something else? Not got much experience with ARM based systems.

Thanks

I'm doing that with raspbmc. I just have the pi connected via ethernet (my TV is beside the router) and a usb hard drive with some films on it. Using my laptop or phone as a remote most of the time, although I was using the Rii mini keyboard for a while until my brother took it back. Vodie, youtube, 4oD, icefilms and watchseries all work perfect for me. Since RC4 I've seen no stuttering. If you've got a compatible (Lib-cec) hdmi tv, you can use your tv remote to control the pi through the hdmi cable with a little playing around with the remote.xml file.

There's a few other distros around, (Openelc etc) but raspbmc was the smoothest for me.

But if you're picking up a usb hub and a usb wifi dongle make sure they are supported, I've a hub that shuts off my ethernet and tries to feed power back into the pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

arodabomb wrote: »
    I'm doing that with raspbmc. , 4oD, .

how did you get 4oD - do you use proxy?

Mod: No discussion on how to bypass region locking restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

arodabomb wrote: »
    I'm doing that with raspbmc. I just have the pi connected via ethernet (my TV is beside the router) and a usb hard drive with some films on it. Using my laptop or phone as a remote most of the time, although I was using the Rii mini keyboard for a while until my brother took it back. Vodie, youtube, 4oD, icefilms and watchseries all work perfect for me. Since RC4 I've seen no stuttering. If you've got a compatible (Lib-cec) hdmi tv, you can use your tv remote to control the pi through the hdmi cable with a little playing around with the remote.xml file.

There's a few other distros around, (Openelc etc) but raspbmc was the smoothest for me.

But if you're picking up a usb hub and a usb wifi dongle make sure they are supported, I've a hub that shuts off my ethernet and tries to feed power back into the pi.

Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm going to go ahead and buy it now. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

how did you get 4oD - do you use proxy?

Mod: No discussion on how to bypass region locking restrictions.

There isn't any region locking restriction with 4oD, so it can be accessed from Ireland legally without a proxy. :)

It is the BBC iplayer which has a region lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've still been underwhelmed with my Pi for the use I wanted.

I wanted it to be a download manager to essentially manage my torrents and nzbs but the write speeds are simply to slow. Download speeds are snail pace. Obviously this is based of write speeds of the SD card.

The final download storage is to my NAS, but the files have to temporarily be stored on the Pi until the download completes and then gets processed, but it is a mega no goer.

I havnt bothered to try using an external HDD because simply put I dont see how the USB ports will be any faster.

Anyone been able to do something like the above effectively, I stopped looking into it when I saw how poor it performed in this regard, and just use it as an irc bouncer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've still been underwhelmed with my Pi for the use I wanted.

I wanted it to be a download manager to essentially manage my torrents and nzbs but the write speeds are simply to slow. Download speeds are snail pace. Obviously this is based of write speeds of the SD card.

The final download storage is to my NAS, but the files have to temporarily be stored on the Pi until the download completes and then gets processed, but it is a mega no goer.

I havnt bothered to try using an external HDD because simply put I dont see how the USB ports will be any faster.

Anyone been able to do something like the above effectively, I stopped looking into it when I saw how poor it performed in this regard, and just use it as an irc bouncer now.

What brand of NAS have you got? I take it that you haven't got the ability to download torrents with the NAS? that's what I do with my one. I can't imagine that SD card slowing things down that much? unless you have crazy fast internet! I have a 45mb/s card... prob don't get near this if i measured it but even at 10% of that speed it would still give 4.5mb/s... I've only a 2mbit line so get about 200kb/s.. what download speeds did you get with your PC? And what are you getting with the PI? Are you connecting wireless or by Ethernet?

There's probably people on this thread who will know way more than me about this though so listen to them!

Surprised no one posted this yet but rpi blog posted info about how to buy mpeg2 license from them, enabling decoding of mpeg2

www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Looks like the Pi has been having some driver problems. Serves em right for choosing broadcom, that shower of proprietary bastards wouldnt give ya a feicing datasheet without you signing a NDA for them first. Those lads are fundamentally against open source and their products are found in many locked down DRM infested 'home appliance' type devices.

Have been messing with a Gumstix overo lately, far better piece of kit

EJ22 wrote: »
    I'm SD switching at the moment between Raspbmc, Squeezeplug with MiniDLNA and Samba server installed and RetroPie (Emulationstation and RetroArch-RPi). I think for what you're looking for you should look into Raspbian and install Xbian in it. Then you should be able to run at terminal sudo update-rc.d xbian defaults and that should set it to auto start Xbian on boot, but whether the xsession will start behind it I don't know.

Also as for expanding images, try get a gparted live cd. then its just a process of running that from the disk and resizing your SD card. This is something I still need to do with all my cards but I haven't been bothered :P

I installed raspbmc thought it was the one you suggested but I see it's not! Does anybody know can i install a dekstop environment from the command prompt? Or would I be better going for Raspbian? Ideally I want to boot to XBMC by default but ave the desktop option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I installed raspbmc thought it was the one you suggested but I see it's not! Does anybody know can i install a dekstop environment from the command prompt? Or would I be better going for Raspbian? Ideally I want to boot to XBMC by default but ave the desktop option.

I haven't tried it myself (don't have any large SD cards handy) but you could put multiple OS images on one card using BerryBoot.

I haven't tried it myself (don't have any large SD cards handy) but you could put multiple OS images on one card using BerryBoot.

Thnaks for that I've got berry boot working now so I've got raspbian and xbian installed. It's very good. It boots to your default OS image after three seconds, but if you press enter before this you go to the bootberry menu where you can select which OS you want to use, add or removes O/S's etc.

I can finally start custimising XMBC, I wasn't bothered investing the time before now as I didn't know what OS I was going to end up using! Thanks a lot.

Thnaks for that I've got berry boot working now so I've got raspbian and xbian installed. It's very good. It boots to your default OS image after three seconds, but if you press enter before this you go to the bootberry menu where you can select which OS you want to use, add or removes O/S's etc.

I can finally start custimising XMBC, I wasn't bothered investing the time before now as I didn't know what OS I was going to end up using! Thanks a lot.

Might I ask what size SD card you're using as I'm interested in using this for a few projects I wanted to do but didn't have enough physical sd cards

Might I ask what size SD card you're using as I'm interested in using this for a few projects I wanted to do but didn't have enough physical sd cards

I'm using a 16gb, the one that was on offer on mymemory, mentioned on this thread as far as I remember. No idea how much of it is used though. I currently have Xbian (272mb), raspbien (470mb) and Openelec (72mb) installed. The numbers in brackets are roughly what I remember the file sizes of the OS's to be. No idea what way the partionng works, I assume that all the OS's use the same disk partition? At a guess i'd say i'm def below 4gb. I can check this evening when i go home? assume i'll be able to boot into raspbian and see from there....
    Handy as no swapping SD cards just leave the on sd card in there all the time, and it's a class 10 I think, whatever one is 45mb/s read speed... great deal for €13 or whatever it was!

I'm using a 16gb, the one that was on offer on mymemory, mentioned on this thread as far as I remember. No idea how much of it is used though. I currently have Xbian (272mb), raspbien (470mb) and Openelec (72mb) installed. The numbers in brackets are roughly what I remember the file sizes of the OS's to be. No idea what way the partionng works, I assume that all the OS's use the same disk partition? At a guess i'd say i'm def below 4gb. I can check this evening when i go home? assume i'll be able to boot into raspbian and see from there....
    Handy as no swapping SD cards just leave the on sd card in there all the time, and it's a class 10 I think, whatever one is 45mb/s read speed... great deal for €13 or whatever it was!

Brilliant cheers mate, I've a few 8gb CL10's lying around so may wipe the one i have RetroPie on and mess around with it. It's an interesting little program though, who'd of thought we'd ever be multibooting on a pi

Brilliant cheers mate, I've a few 8gb CL10's lying around so may wipe the one i have RetroPie on and mess around with it. It's an interesting little program though, who'd of thought we'd ever be multibooting on a pi

Haven't had a look at that yet, does that come with all the emulators when you install it? Amazing how much stuff can be done with it....I feel guilty I'm using about 1% of the capability by using it primarily for XBMC to play files from my NAS!

Haven't had a look at that yet, does that come with all the emulators when you install it? Amazing how much stuff can be done with it....I feel guilty I'm using about 1% of the capability by using it primarily for XBMC to play files from my NAS!

Yeah it comes with the Atari 2600, GBC, GBA, Nes and SNES emulators in the fast emulation, but in the slower one that compiles the emulators for you there and then so you've the latest versions I believe MAME, Doom, Megadrive and some others are available. the SNES one is buggy with the sound due to the ASLA driver but otherwise they all play pretty well. Getting a joystick to work with it is a bit of a pain but I got there eventually.

he also added the option to start it up on boot which can turn the pi into a handy little retro machine for behind the TV :) I'm going to be investing in a fight stick for then I compile the Megadrive emulator for some good aul Street Fighter fun

• Advertisement

Just checked there, those three OS's are using 2gb, with 13.6gb left free!
    i'm quite the fool as I checked that on my Pi and then came down to my PC to reply... even though I'd been using the internet and all on my pi! Hard to teach an old dog!

Just have to update my config file to overclock now...it uses the config file in the root partition as opposed to what each individual image comes with.

Note that if you want to install Xbian on berryboot you need to download https://dl.dropbox.com/s/vygem14aa81yotd/XBian0.6.2.squash.img?dl=1
    and install from a usb, as Xbian isn't an option by default, and only comes in an image format from their website, the standard image format isn't compatible but this one is. sould prefer to link the forum where I found this but can't find it now! took me a while to find it in the first place!

anybody know what is safe for overclocking? think i'll go for arm_freq=840 and core_freq=375 as this is what is used with Xbian and that always worked
    fine for me!

Advertisement