Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

anybody know what is safe for overclocking? think i'll go for arm_freq=840 and core_freq=375 as this is what is used with Xbian and that always worked
    fine for me!

I know some users have put their arm_freq=900 (pretty sure Steve SI done it on his GameBoyPi but don't hold me to that) and it has been fine. I've not been interested in overclocking it as I only have one and I don't want to void the warenty while I can't afford another. also Raspbmc auto-overclocks it but the raspberry foundation has said its ok and they do it safely (think theirs goes to arm_freq=800)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

EJ22 wrote: »
    I know some users have put their arm_freq=900 (pretty sure Steve SI done it on his GameBoyPi but don't hold me to that) and it has been fine. I've not been interested in overclocking it as I only have one and I don't want to void the warenty while I can't afford another. also Raspbmc auto-overclocks it but the raspberry foundation has said its ok and they do it safely (think theirs goes to arm_freq=800)

tried 900 and a core of 450 but it wasn't stable in xbian.... it only voids warranty if you over volt....i'll try 840 and 375 like i was doing originally, till I got greedy!

EDIT: Xbian doesn't work now even without any over clocking... don't know why as it was working last night. Openelec works for XBMC so guess i'll use that!

tried 900 and a core of 450 but it wasn't stable in xbian.... it only voids warranty if you over volt....i'll try 840 and 375 like i was doing originally, till I got greedy!

EDIT: Xbian doesn't work now even without any over clocking... don't know why as it was working last night. Openelec works for XBMC so guess i'll use that!

thats odd! I wonder if theres something within Xbian that won't make it work if you overclock it. I don't care too much for Xbian atm anyways as it violates the GPL agreement so I'm staying away.

In other news relating to XBMC, according to Sam, the maker of Raspbmc, the next release (which could be final) is meant to blow the competition out of the water. He's also adding PVR support for those that are interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Yeah it comes with the Atari 2600, GBC, GBA, Nes and SNES emulators in the fast emulation, but in the slower one that compiles the emulators for you there and then so you've the latest versions I believe MAME, Doom, Megadrive and some others are available. the SNES one is buggy with the sound due to the ASLA driver but otherwise they all play pretty well. Getting a joystick to work with it is a bit of a pain but I got there eventually.
    What sort of joystick did you use & what are you intending buying? I never heard of RetroPie, I'd like to try it out but I've only USB gamepads here, I'd imagine they won't work, ie too much power?

whitesands wrote: »
    What sort of joystick did you use & what are you intending buying? I never heard of RetroPie, I'd like to try it out but I've only USB gamepads here, I'd imagine they won't work, ie too much power?

I'm using a really really old Logitech Precision USB Gamepad. I intend on purchasing a Hori Fight Stick 3 for the PS3 as they are backwards compatible with PC and to an extent (aka compile the driver for it) Linux.

Here's how to install RetroPie: http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/retropie-setup-an-initialization-script-for-retroarch-on-the-raspberry-pi/

its just a script for installing stuff like EmulationStation and all the necessary cores and emulators for it. Makes a 2-3 hours job done in bout 15 mins if you select Binary Based Installation. This gives you the Atari etc but not Mame, Doom etc (from the last time i done it, it may have changed since then as I've not been on my pi in a while).

I have no issues whatsoever with my USB gamepad when its connected straight to the pi along with my logitech ultra slim keyboard.

EDIT: here's the gamepad I'm using: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Gamepad-USB-Refresh-PC/dp/B000IL2LQW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346273078&sr=8-1

all the way from 2006! man i knew it was old lol

• Advertisement

Nice one EJ ;) I've just blitzed my multiboot sd card to try out this :p

Nice one EJ ;) I've just blitzed my multiboot sd card to try out this :p

No problems! Any issues and I'll try help with RetroPie as I had to figure a lot of it out myself.

No problems! Any issues and I'll try help with RetroPie as I had to figure a lot of it out myself.
    OK, got RetroPie installed with super off road nes rom to test :D
    The trouble is, I can play it on my mini wireless keyboard/mouse combo, but not my gamepad. How did you set up your gamepad?
    I've a trust vibraforce feedback, it's 6 buttons, a directional pad & other stuff. I realistically only need the pad & 6 buttons for these games.

Any suggestions EJ22?

P.S. Anyone tried wireless xbox360 controllers with this?

OK, got RetroPie installed with super off road nes rom to test :D
    The trouble is, I can play it on my mini wireless keyboard/mouse combo, but not my gamepad. How did you set up your gamepad?
    I've a trust vibraforce feedback, it's 6 buttons, a directional pad & other stuff. I realistically only need the pad & 6 buttons for these games.

Any suggestions EJ22?

P.S. Anyone tried wireless xbox360 controllers with this?

First and foremost, I know people have gotten it working with the wired xbox360 controllers but dunno about the wireless as its a driver issue with the adaptor.

Also don't worry, I had tons of trouble getting this right as well so gonna do a step by step thingy here that hopefully will make some sort of sense.
    1. go to the tools directory within RetroArch-Rpi by using the command
      cd RetroPie/RetroArch-Rpi/tools
    2. When you're in this directory, type the following to use the joystick configure tool
      sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig
      when you do this, it will ask you to press buttons relating to what button you want to use on your gamepad, right now its not too important what you press for what, but rather what numbers the buttons are corresponding to for when you want to map them for example my A button that I use in this is number 2 according to the tool. Write down all the inputs and then either complete the task or press ctrl+c to exit early
    3. go back to the home directory, and then go back to the RetroArch-Rpi directory using
      cd RetroPie/RetroArch-Rpi
      From here use
      nano retroarch.cfg
      alternatively you can SSH into your pie and direct yourself to the same file.
    4. from this file, scroll your way down to Joypad buttons and enter the values you got from retroarch-joyconfig earlier to map your buttons. I'm not sure at the moment whether or not you need them assigned like "2" or just 2 at the moment as I wiped mine before checking again. The rest is pretty self explanitory. Make sure you also do the Axis for SNES DPAD part to map it correctly. when you're finished, press ctrl+x, then y, then press enter.

That should be it, if you have any more trouble I'll try post my retroarch.cfg when I have the settings working again (Going to work on it now infact)

That should be it, if you have any more trouble I'll try post my retroarch.cfg when I have the settings working again (Going to work on it now infact)
    Thanks EJ, I'm following you but my gamepad is messed up, if you could give me a look at your cfg file it will make my life easier;)

• Advertisement

Thanks EJ, I'm following you but my gamepad is messed up, if you could give me a look at your cfg file it will make my life easier;)

No problems I'm just doing a few updates on my pi as EmulationStation isn't saving the config and isn't allowing me to use my gamepad for some reason. In any case I think I found my old SD card that i had it working with so I'll copy and paste my retroarch.cfg from there for you :)

EDIT: Ok after some messing and testing i've figured out what most likely has gone wrong. You need the .retroarch.cfg file in your home directory for RetroArch to read it properly. To do that, when you're at your home directory, which is pi@raspberrypi ~ $ in terminal if you're not sure, type
    nano .retroarch.cfg
    this will do one of two things, if a .retroarch.cfg is already there, it will open that file to be editted. If not, it will create a file called .retroarch.cfg when you save it.

Ok so here's my cfg layout and I can confirm this works 100% with any game I've tried.

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
    input_player1_a_btn = "2"
    input_player1_b_btn = "1"
    input_player1_x_btn = "3"
    input_player1_y_btn = "0"
    input_player1_l_btn = "4"
    input_player1_r_btn = "5"
    input_player1_l2_btn = "6"
    input_player1_r2_btn = "7"
    input_player1_l3_btn =
    input_player1_r3_btn =
    input_player1_start_btn = "9"
    input_player1_select_btn = "8"
    input_player1_left_axis = "-0"
    input_player1_up_axis = "-1"
    input_player1_right_axis = "+0"
    input_player1_down_axis = "+1"
    input_player1_l_x_plus_axis =
    input_player1_l_y_plus_axis =
    input_player1_l_x_minus_axis =
    input_player1_l_y_minus_axis =
    input_player1_r_x_plus_axis =
    input_player1_r_y_plus_axis =
    input_player1_r_x_minus_axis =
    input_player1_r_y_minus_axis =

press ctrl+x, then y, then enter. now restart your pi (easiest way from terminal is sudo shutdown -r now ). it should be working after that. As a reference, here's a picture of my controller with the corresponding values above printed onto the buttons.

Qo5QI.jpg

just to note as well, in my .retroarch.cfg in my home folder, the above quoted text is the only thing I have in mine, unlike the one buried deeper into the file structure. Hope this helps, I'm going back to figure out why my other installation on my 8gb card isn't working correctly.

Nice one EJ, very helpful, my gamepad is similar enough so I'm going to copy your values & should be able to get it working after a few vi edits.
    I tried nano till I realised it was just a text editor, I prefer vi as I'm used to it, it's a powerful text editor when you get the hang of it.

Thanks again EJ, I'll be giving this a go this evening.

Nice one EJ, very helpful, my gamepad is similar enough so I'm going to copy your values & should be able to get it working after a few vi edits.
    I tried nano till I realised it was just a text editor, I prefer vi as I'm used to it, it's a powerful text editor when you get the hang of it.

No problem! I'll be around tonight messing with RetroPie so feel free to message me here, PM me, twitter etc etc

Got myself one of these today for €18 in Cex. Works perfectly in RetroPie except the joystick isn't being recognised. All buttons etc are with my cfg file I posted above so I'll be tinkering with this tonight.

horifs3820.jpg

EDIT: Got the Hori Fight Stick 3 working with it, playing Super Mario Bros on the NES emulator has never been so much fun! (Except for on my actual NES)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What brand of NAS have you got? I take it that you haven't got the ability to download torrents with the NAS? that's what I do with my one. I can't imagine that SD card slowing things down that much? unless you have crazy fast internet! I have a 45mb/s card... prob don't get near this if i measured it but even at 10% of that speed it would still give 4.5mb/s... I've only a 2mbit line so get about 200kb/s.. what download speeds did you get with your PC? And what are you getting with the PI? Are you connecting wireless or by Ethernet?

There's probably people on this thread who will know way more than me about this though so listen to them!

I've got 130mb internet, and I'm connecting with Ethernet. My NAS doesn't have the ability to download direct. I'm not stuck in a jam, I'm just using my normal PC at present, but the PI was handy in that I was able to SSH in from anywhere and kick off jobs, batches and downloads and I'd setup a "private portal" where I could see all the various different stuff happening.

Havnt come accross a proper solution yet, anyone I've found on google who have tried their Pi to use as a download manager has been utterly underwhelmed and ended up giving up : /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

No problem! I'll be around tonight messing with RetroPie so feel free to message me here, PM me, twitter etc etc

Got myself one of these today for €18 in Cex. Works perfectly in RetroPie except the joystick isn't being recognised. All buttons etc are with my cfg file I posted above so I'll be tinkering with this tonight.

horifs3820.jpg

EDIT: Got the Hori Fight Stick 3 working with it, playing Super Mario Bros on the NES emulator has never been so much fun! (Except for on my actual NES)
    Nice! Do they have more?

Meesared wrote: »
    Nice! Do they have more?

Not from what i could see but could of had more in stock behind the counters. I got the one in the window. Check ie.webuy.com for it, they may have more stock

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just a quick update for anyone looking to get their hands on an RPi.

i did the whole pre-order thing with farnell and RS around may/june and i got my RPi from farnell around the end of july.

no sign of the RS one by mid august, so i cancelled and re-ordered a fresh one from farnell on the 17th aug.

a few days ago i got an email from RS apologising for delays and saying it could be late September before i get my pi off them (even their cancellations appear to take weeks!). ho hum, don't care, already cancelled and re-ordered.

anyway, a few days later they finally process my cancellation and refund me. then today i get an email from farnell to say my 2nd Pi ordered on the 17th shipped today. :)

so the moral of the story is, if you ever want to see a raspberry pi this side of never, order it from farnell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Mine came from RS came pretty quick after they gave me my order invitation!

Meesared wrote: »
    Mine came from RS came pretty quick after they gave me my order invitation!
    not sure what the deal is with the one i was supposed to get then, but i pre-ordered on 30th may and then ordered the day they told me i could, which was around the 30th june.

by comparison, my first order with farnell shipped on the 20th july after being pre-pre-ordered on the 30th may at the same time as the RS pre-order and then finally pre-ordered on june 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Howdy folks, so I'm a big gadget freak. Love gadgets and messing around with them etc.

Now, while I would know a fair bit, I still wouldn't be the most technically sound person.

I heard that the Pi can play back video and audio through the tv from a harddrive? Is this correct? For this reason alone I would buy one.

What else can be done via the Pi that someone like me could easily manage?

• Advertisement

For those that may be interested

news.slashdot.org/story/12/09/03/1548210/university-of-cambridge-offers-free-online-raspberry-pi-course?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter

For those that may be interested

news.slashdot.org/story/12/09/03/1548210/university-of-cambridge-offers-free-online-raspberry-pi-course?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter
    who says you can't have your cake Pi and eat it too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

(Reposting from another thread)

Ordered my Pi last Wednesday from Farnell and I just got a mail today (Tuesday) saying it's been shipped from the warehouse, should have it by Friday going on previous orders from them. Not a bad turnaround :)

just got my 2nd one delivered from farnell today, ordered on the 12st aug. and shipped on the 31st, so not too shabby at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So now that the buzz has all settled down, are many of you actively using your Pi?

I have to admit that mine is sitting in its box. :o I am intrigued by that recent OS link though. I could very much enjoy fluting with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Khannie wrote: »
    So now that the buzz has all settled down, are many of you actively using your Pi?

I have to admit that mine is sitting in its box. :o I am intrigued by that recent OS link though. I could very much enjoy fluting with that.

yeah use it everyday to watch tv shows and films.... a bit for general internet but mostly as media centre! nothing too adventurous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Khannie wrote: »

Only took mine out of the box last week and so far all I've done is put RasBMC on to try and get some media playback working in conjunction with PS3 Media Server which seems to work well enough but the quality of HD video leaves a lot to be desired. Not really had a chance to do much yet though.

I've been using mine an awful lot. From streaming media with Squeezeplug for RPi, to XBMC via Raspbmc and of course Retro Game Emulation via RetroPie.

Next on the list though is starting to compile C programs in Arch Linux on it so I can get used to compiling and writing in linux terminal for the comp sci course in DIT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

I've been using mine an awful lot. From streaming media with Squeezeplug for RPi, to XBMC via Raspbmc and of course Retro Game Emulation via RetroPie.

Next on the list though is starting to compile C programs in Arch Linux on it so I can get used to compiling and writing in linux terminal for the comp sci course in DIT

have you installed both squeezeplug and raspbmc on the same card?
    can we run both of these simultaneously?

• Advertisement

have you installed both squeezeplug and raspbmc on the same card?
    can we run both of these simultaneously?
    No seperate cards but im 99% sure in raspbmc you can create a samba share of a external hdd or usb to share it around the network, infact im pretty sure i suggested that to someone in this thread

Advertisement