Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I got an email from RS that my RPI shipping date is going to slip by 4 weeks :mad:

Another idea how to use RPI:
    Reversing camera connected to RPi in the boot of car. RPI serving Low quality/low fps video stream to an android phone over wifi/bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I got an email from RS that my RPI shipping date is going to slip by 4 weeks :mad:
    I registered interest with RS months ago, still waiting to order :rolleyes: Luckily I also registered interest with farnell & got it about a month ago so gave up on RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Why is it that the Raspberry Pi is €32.88 with RS but €42.90 with farnell??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

AFAIK Farnell include postage, RS don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Might finally have a use for this

VPN and Proxy to route my internet traffic through and also secure remote login

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

has anyone run a Minecraft server off this? can it be done? any barebones OS that'll just do that and nothing else? maybe have 4-5 people connected at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    has anyone run a Minecraft server off this? can it be done? any barebones OS that'll just do that and nothing else? maybe have 4-5 people connected at most.
    i'm sure i've seen it somewhere that it can and google seems to agree, so i'm going with a "yes" on that one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Why is it that the Raspberry Pi is €32.88 with RS but €42.90 with farnell??
    Meesared wrote: »
    AFAIK Farnell include postage, RS don't.

According to this the delivery charge is £4.95.

The Farnell price went up a bit, I was charged €39.20 when I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

thanks. tbh mine has just been lying in the drawer after I got over the hype of XBMC at 1A.

how would it fair as a hardware firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Thats about all it would be capable of and even then it would be kinda slow id imagine, youd need a seriously fast SD for it

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Howdy folks, so I'm a big gadget freak. Love gadgets and messing around with them etc.

Now, while I would know a fair bit, I still wouldn't be the most technically sound person.

I heard that the Pi can play back video and audio through the tv from a harddrive? Is this correct? For this reason alone I would buy one.

What else can be done via the Pi that someone like me could easily manage?

Well, it's a great gadget for messing about with. Since the operating system is on the SD card, even if you mess up while doing something, you can reimage it be back to the start. Happened a few times to me while playing around with overclocking and overvolting.

In terms of what you can do with it, your options are pretty vast and there is something for everyone to do. Might be your first time imaging an SD card, playing around with linux, or you might be doing some of the projects mentioned in the forums on the raspberry pi website. There's even a course on there about writing your own OS, which should be interesting.

I haven't got around to doing much interesting myself. I'm just using it as a htpc with raspbmc installed on it. Massive props to Sam Nazarko for this, excellent piece of software implementation and the final release version is nearly out, I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Baking Pi - Operating Systems Development
    This website is here to guide you through the process of developing very basic operating systems on the Raspberry Pi! This website is aimed at people aged 16 and upwards, although younger readers may still find some of it accessible, particularly with assistance. More lessons may be added to this course in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplin are now taking pre-orders, though unfortunately you have to buy an entire bundle, including a keyboard/mouse/SD card/hub/etc, priced at 89.99. I suppose, if you needed all the extras, it's not criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I wonder would it be possible to run an old version of championship manager of this....

Its been F2P for some time now, and it gives some interesting ideas in having it essentially "always on" and me being able to just pick up and play whenever,

Probably nd up being a resource hog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

TheDoc wrote: »
    I wonder would it be possible to run an old version of championship manager of this....

Its been F2P for some time now, and it gives some interesting ideas in having it essentially "always on" and me being able to just pick up and play whenever,

Probably nd up being a resource hog

Isn't Android running on these or close to ?
    You could get the Android Version of it and run that.

it looks like someone has just answered the question of whether or not you can make a supercomputer out of raspberry pi's. :D

http://paritynews.com/hardware/item/302-engineers-build-supercomputer-using-raspberry-pi-lego

raspberry%20pi%20supercomputer%202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It raises interesting possibilities. I'd like to know what the best bang for CPU buck is if you were given, say, 10K to blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on what SD card to purchase. I have noticed this

http://ie.farnell.com/samsung/raspberry-pi-prog-4gb-sdcard/memory-sdcard-raspberry-pi-4gb/dp/2113756

comes preloaded. How does the above card compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on what SD card to purchase. I have noticed this

http://ie.farnell.com/samsung/raspberry-pi-prog-4gb-sdcard/memory-sdcard-raspberry-pi-4gb/dp/2113756

comes preloaded. How does the above card compare?

Very, very badly. It says the data rate is 4Mbps, which I'm guessing is supposed to say 4MB/s which is still horrible. This one is cheaper and 5 times faster. Writing the image to the SD card is trivial stuff.

Edit: This one is even better value. Twice the storage for an extra euro odd.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Very, very badly. It says the data rate is 4Mbps, which I'm guessing is supposed to say 4MB/s which is still horrible. This one is cheaper and 5 times faster. Writing the image to the SD card is trivial stuff.

Yeah writing the image wont be a problem. It is the SD cards that I have no experience with. Can I get a 8 / 16 GB card or is 4 the max the Raspberry can handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Yeah writing the image wont be a problem. It is the SD cards that I have no experience with. Can I get a 8 / 16 GB card or is 4 the max the Raspberry can handle?

No size limit as fa as I'm aware. Plenty of people using up to 64GB, here's a list of verified SD cards http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards and a whole lot more verified peripherals. I just use 4/8GB cards and store on an external drive or else across to network.

i'm using generic 32gb ones myself bought from 7dayshop, just watch out for the jersey thing with their delivery.

i made the mistake of getting the twin pack to save a couple of quid and got hit by customers as they had taped the 2 packages together which combined were over the limit for customs and i got snagged. :(

not to mention actually having to drive to the depot to collect them and pay the charges. :(

you should be fine with a single one though, just go for whatever size you fancy and make sure it's one of the faster class 10 cards if possible for faster read/write speeds.

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm using generic 32gb ones myself bought from 7dayshop, just watch out for the jersey thing with their delivery.

i made the mistake of getting the twin pack to save a couple of quid and got hit by customers as they had taped the 2 packages together which combined were over the limit for customs and i got snagged. :(

not to mention actually having to drive to the depot to collect them and pay the charges. :(

you should be fine with a single one though, just go for whatever size you fancy and make sure it's one of the faster class 10 cards if possible for faster read/write speeds.

Wow customs are definitely cracking down, thats a bit extreme.

Is this the card
    http://www.7dayshop.com/dane-elec-proline-secure-digital-sdhc-memory-card-32gb-200x-class-10?limit=10&p=4&q=sd+card&sl=sl

Have you guys any more advice for noob, cant wait to get my hands on the PI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I have yet to install an OS on my Raspberry Pi, but my plan at the moment is to use Berryboot to install multiple operating systems on it.

Not the best quality video, but hopefully it will be easy to follow when I get some free time at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    I have yet to install an OS on my Raspberry Pi, but my plan at the moment is to use Berryboot to install multiple operating systems on it.

Not the best quality video, but hopefully it will be easy to follow when I get some free time at the weekend.

I used berryboot last nite and it was the easiest way yet of installing an OS, although there is no archlinux or fedora on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I used berryboot last nite and it was the easiest way yet of installing an OS, although there is no archlinux or fedora on it.

As far as I know, you can have other operating systems on an external drive connected to the Raspberry PI and you can point berryboot to the location of the operating system

Wow customs are definitely cracking down, thats a bit extreme.

Is this the card
    http://www.7dayshop.com/dane-elec-proline-secure-digital-sdhc-memory-card-32gb-200x-class-10?limit=10&p=4&q=sd+card&sl=sl

these were the ones i got.

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-professional-high-speed-secure-digital-sdhc-memory-card-32gb-class-10-value-twin-pack?q=sd%20card%2032gb%20class%2010&sl=sl

the worst bit about it was that they were packaged and addressed separately and they just taped them together, so individually i'd have been fine, i just got caught for customs because of a bit of sticky tape. :(

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    these were the ones i got.

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-professional-high-speed-secure-digital-sdhc-memory-card-32gb-class-10-value-twin-pack?q=sd%20card%2032gb%20class%2010&sl=sl

the worst bit about it was that they were packaged and addressed separately and they just taped them together, so individually i'd have been fine, i just got caught for customs because of a bit of sticky tape. :(

How do you find the speed of that card? How much did customs hit ya for?

Advertisement