Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

customs was about 9 quid i think, it was just a pain in the hole getting to the depot as it's not my local depot it goes to if you get nabbed. :(

speed is fine on them, no complaints anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hey guys,

What o/s would you recommend

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hey guys,

What o/s would you recommend
    http://www.raspbian.org/ and look at berryboot from previous page.

cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Finally got around to buying an SD card today. Looking forward to a bit of fluting with it. What's the browsing experience like on it these days?

My SD card and PI arrived today. Browsing is O.K it's what I expected from such a device. Next step media server and or XBMC

overclocked?

No not yet hoping to test that over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/10/raspbmc-release-candidate-5-released/

RC5 of Raspbmc out now. Looks impressive so far. Looking forward to hooking up a usb tv tuner to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

Is it worth getting now or waiting a few months (for a new model to come out) ?

Depends what you want to do with it tbh. The current one seems a bit underpowered for day to day use but could be perfect for learning a bit of coding or as a media centre or just as a linux learning tool.

I'm not too sure what I would be doing with it. Partly to just have it and then probably more when I realise/know stuff I can do with it.

Ah if you're just going to flute around with it then I'd say go for it now. You could be left always waiting for the next incremental update.

That is true. Is there any planned update to it any time soon?

Just a heads up with anyone using raspbmc. There are several bugs with the latest release (http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3037) but for me I've now got a fairly fast media setup which I'm happy with (looking forward to the final release though).

You can now install raspbmc to a usb drive, so it runs very fast (obviously with a fast usb stick). But it overwrites the usb stick. It does warn at the start of the installation that this will happen, but you are given 60 seconds to unplug the stick. Several people appear to have lost their films etc. I always remove any drives from it during installation, so I was very glad I did.

The installation procedure goes one of two ways:

boot pi without usb drive-> Raspbmc installs to sd card

boot pi with usb drive attached-> 60 seconds to unplug drive and reboot or else Raspbmc installs to usb drive, and appears to wipe the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

have you seen any performance increase by using the usb stick?
    i have the 16gb 45mb/s speed sd card.
    do you think i can improve the speed with a stick?

Pretty sexy. Reposting to home brewing...

I would guess not. 45MB/s is pretty decent.

• Advertisement

I've a sandisk ultra 4gb class 6 30MB/s, so it was running fast enough already. I installed on a usb stick I had lying around, fairly generic one. I couldn't really see a difference between the two. Menu navigation was perhaps quicker on the usb stick, but it could have been my imagination. I think there was a post on stmlabs saying that there was a bottleneck on the rpi sd card reader side of things and that a fast usb stick should be faster than a fast sd card.

I've since caused kernal panic on the usb stick installation with some video addon, and I'm not going to bother reinstalling on that one (so can't do any more tests between the two). No usb hub at the moment so I don't really want to sacrifice one of the usb ports the whole time. I'll stick to the sd card for now, might pick up a fast usb stick at some stage and see how fast it is though.

Brewpi looks awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is anyone using external hdd with pi?
    i have 3 2.5" usb hdd (without power) and none of them get powered up.
    the usb hub is a cheap one too.
    any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Khannie wrote: »
    I would guess not. 45MB/s is pretty decent.

And USB 2.0 tends to limited to about 35MB/s also.

At least thats the average I get when copying to an NTFS external hard drive in Windows 7.

Linux may be slightly faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

You need a powered hub, the Pi doesnt supply enough power itself to power a HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Was gonna link it as "For Khannie":pac:
    Khannie wrote: »
    Pretty sexy. Reposting to home brewing...
    Sexy? Nooooooo vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv:P:P

denise-milani-red-bikini-4-738904.jpg

Was gonna link it as "For Khannie":pac:

:D I do love my home brewing. The prospect of geeking it out is definitely intriguing. I mostly make (delicious, delicious) cider though so I have less need for the kind of precision that the beer geeks need.
    Sexy? Nooooooo vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv:P:P

Good LORD! Someone get that woman a properly fitted bikini top! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I no longer consider this thread as work-safe... but that's not a _big_ deal ;)

Will a Samsung phone battery charger be powerful enough to power the raspberry (it has a micro USB power cable)?

• Advertisement

Howlin1 wrote: »
    Will a Samsung phone battery charger be powerful enough to power the raspberry (it has a micro USB power cable)?

Yep.

Advertisement