Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Thanks for that. Still no success and I think I'm a little in over my head but am going to try the no-ip suggestion now and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I have successfully done this via 3g.

I have a no-ip.com account. There is a guide online on how to setup the pi with no-ip.com program.
    http://raspberrypihelp.net/tutorials/29-raspberry-pi-no-ip-tutorial

I then rang vodafone to ensure the required ports were open to incoming connections. I have no-ip set to upload the ip address every 5minutes as I think the lease on the IP is around 30 minutes, this way I will not lose connectivity for more than 5 minutes at a time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Thanks. I've tried those steps too but didn't have any luck yet. I have a few days off coming up so will start from scratch and see how I get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Does anybody have a link for the Raspberry Pi clone going cheap ($9?). I can't find it. Thought I saw it on bargain alerts, no luck searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

aphex™ wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link for the Raspberry Pi clone going cheap ($9?). I can't find it. Thought I saw it on bargain alerts, no luck searching.

was probably the arduino clone, which is quite different, microcontroller rather than linux computer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Are you talking about the NowTv box it's not a raspberry pi clone but is a good alternative for the raspberry pi if your going to use it as a media centre.
    The thread is here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057001096/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Thanks guys, yeah it was the Arduino. D'oh! But I've been planning to mess around with both so I got mixed up..

Might look at that Sky box too, good idea!

Thanks guys, yeah it was the Arduino. D'oh! But I've been planning to mess around with both so I got mixed up..

Might look at that Sky box too, good idea!

Arduino clone thing seems to have been a possible scam though, so best avoided, although arduino platform and similar definitely worth playing around with if your interested in electronics and microcontrollers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

This thread seems to have gone quiet of late... i know there was supposed to be a Pi Forum requested, but its in "Forum Requests" as ongoing, and the thread is closed.

Anyone know what the future is for this request?

Also, I found a few projects on Instructables for the PI... some mad ideas too.

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/category-technology/channel-raspberry-pi/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My RPi has been lying on the work table for ages, doing nowt.

Going to have a nose through Instructables for ideas now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Mine is used as a bit-torrent downloader/seed (linux iso image files) and as my printer server, used entirely headless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I now own 2 model B's. The latest is a revision 2 with 512mb ram and raspbian Linux installed. Used for learning Gimp graphic package.
    My other 'pi being an early model B has just 256mb ram making it unsuitable for any serious application. It will shortly have the 'pi version of RISC OS installed on it.
    Glad now that the 'pi being sold in sturdier packaging - my first was in a cardboard box while my second was in a pink plastic case.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Yeah, this place is way to quiet regarding pi stuff.

I've 5/6 pis floating around. And many more SD cards that I switch them out all the time.

I've one pi running Raspbmc, absolutley brilliant performance from it I have to say.

Another runs squeezeplug, a general headless music/radio/spotify/streamer player etc.

Was doing a course in financial computing, with lots of projects built in python, so I've been using the pi as a stock market simulator (from a learning point of view).

In terms of projects, one is a kinda home automation platform. It runs general automation tasks, controls lights in the house, heaters. Uses the pi camera and a usb soundcard to record audio/video when I'm away from the house. This is controlled via a password protected website. The pi is also logging temps that are plotted on graphs on the site. This project is kind of cobbled together from many different projects out there.

Using a few others for test purposes with a startup I'm involved in.

But the only real project I undertook myself was a dropbox digital picture frame. I took an old digital picture frame that had av in and wired the pi behind it. I set up a dropbox folder that is shared with a my family. The pi scans this folder, downloads the images if there are any new ones and displays them as a slideshow. Theres a few buttons that control which images are displayed (new/this week/ all time). I integrated squeezeplug into it too. It was a present to my parents, so that we could send images to them when we were travelling etc.

But my favourite thing is definitely showing the pi to kids. Cousins& nephews etc. Its so easy to plug a few leds into the GPIO and get them to write a few lines of code and they really feel like they are programming something massive. The real world feedback from electronics and programming is so much easier to get excited about than just pure programming (well for an 8 year old anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I've ordered a few sensors to try out IR motion detection and ultrasonic distance ranging.

IR motion detection sensor
    Another project, same IR motion detector sensor

Ultrasonic distance measuring...
    Ultrasonic distance ranging

You can pick these sensors up cheap, less than $5 typically eg in DealExtreme. Although BuyInCoins might be cheaper and faster... having order delays with DX at the moment... not impressed with their service.

And a simple 20cm cable jumper cable with turn your rPi into an FM radio transmitter ( which probably breaks a radio transmission law or two in the process )

rPi FM transmitter

Just have to start learning Python now....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Agent Bubbles

Raspberry Pi gets its own sound card
    The add-on board fits right onto the Pi's P5 pins and carries a Wolfson audio processor that supports high-res audio up to 24-bit / 192KHz, which can be played via a direct connection to an amp over 3.5mm line-out or alternatively via a digital S/PDIF output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I hope it will be able to encode 5.1 over s/pdif. I'm still looking for a good & cheap solution to connect 5.1 speakers (3 x stereo jacks) to raspberry pi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Been ages since I checked the RPi blog but I see it was there 2nd Birthday at the end of February.

As a present to the Pi Foundation, Broadcom released the full documentation and source to the Graphics Core:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/6299

This is going to be a serious boost to gaming with the Pi.

Can't wait to see what comes out for it.

Saw this on the Pi blog, bit of a beast of a phone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I heard about that.

I have the Model B Pi running Raspbx (Asterisk) as a phone system. Pretty cool. Can run conferences, voicemails, queues etc. I tested it and it took about 10 concurrent calls. Cheap to run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Requires PiSnake.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >
    >
    >
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

HummingBoard challenges Raspberry Pi in the tiny computer market

The maker community is growing and with that growth more companies are jumping on the opportunity to create the hardware that will be assimilated into the next DIY project. While Raspberry Pi has been one of the pioneers in the space, there’s a new challenger, the tiny HummingBoard.
    The HummingBoard micro-computer from SolidRun, like the Raspberry Pi, is an ARM-based naked board. But even though it cost $10 more than the Pi, it touts more power. It has a 1GHz ARMv7 processor while the Raspberry Pi only has a 700MHz ARMv6 processor. It’s also scalable to dual core, something the Raspberry does not support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Interesting.

At the moment my Pi is a retro machine running RetroPie.

As in this picture, it's a mutant of a thing because it's inside a Mega Drive II case, controlled by an Xbox 360 controller, playing a Playstation 1 game :pac:
    7fdvkG.jpg

I'm looking for schematic diagram of PiTFT [1], but it doesn't seem to be on the net. I want to power it from 3.3V and use button IOs for something else. I know that I'll be OK with the button IOs, but I can't find if PiTFT uses 5V or 3.3V.
    Any ideas where to look for the schematic?

[1] https://www.adafruit.com/products/1601

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Duggy - how well does it play PS1 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Basq wrote: »

Would also like to know.... Also, how did you get a 360 controller working with it? Wired or wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Basq wrote: »

Not too bad, some run perfect, some are unplayable while others have tiny slow down on some PS1 games so I only put a handful of them on the Pi like Destruction Derby 1 & 2, Abe's Odyssey, Resident Evil II, Ridge Racer, and a few more I can't name off the top of my head since it's been a while.

Metal Gear Solid, for example, runs like utter shìt on it.

Here's a compatibility list. If a game isn't listed then it's either untested or runs horrible.

It can depend on the emulator too as some will play some games better than others, since it's been a while and I had to experiment with so many I actually don't know the name of the one I'm using so I'll check later when I'm home. Pretty much always choose the Pi variations of emulators that are designed for it.

For a lot of different consoles I had to change from the stock emulator that's assigned in the config files.

Most of the PS1 games on it are heavy rips so they're tiny in size, Ridge Racer in particular is like 4MB :pac:

Runs SNES, NES, Mega Drive, Master System, and a few more perfectly.............bar a few exceptions like Super FX games which run terrible but that's just emulation problem which will only get better.

Neo Geo runs fine but the problem is with setting the Hz speed for the Raspberry Pi itself. I had to force the Pi to PAL and limit to 50hz in order for all games to run correctly, otherwise Nes & SNES games (USA roms) will run slow with distorted sound. It's a strange setup but was the only way to get everything playable at full speed.

Neo Geo games won't run good unless it's set higher so I had to make a sacrifice and leave it out.

My setup was made stranger because I wanted the Pi to be able to be interchangeable with a CRT and HDTV, so now it's just plug and go with no tinkering for either.
    Access wrote: »
    Would also like to know.... Also, how did you get a 360 controller working with it? Wired or wireless?

Wired, plus it's a Gamestop one so the conventional "xboxdrv" didn't contain information for it to work so I couldn't use RetroPi for a while.

I followed this as far as when you finish editing the rc.local file, didn't need to do the rest of that stuff.

I just bought a broken Mega Drive II, removed the motherboard and plopped the Pi in with Composite / HDMI leads in for both CRT and HDTV, wireless dongle for FTP access, micro-usb for powering off HDTV or plug into USB plug, and the Xbox 360 controller itself.

I have to get some tools to fix it up proper so there'll be connections to plug into rather than cables coming out. Maybe even repaint the console case too.

The actual fiddling with RetroPi takes some work and, for the love of God, never power off the Pi randomly or else the card corrupts and you have to start all from the beginning again. A Neo Geo game stalled (I overclocked the Pi too much for it to run off the HDTV usb port) and borked the SD card, wouldn't mind but I was actually finally finished with my setup and my curiosity about overclocking meant I had to start from scratch again.

I mapped the controls so I can exit every game and turn off the Pi. It's hooked up to the HDTV so it turns itself off when I turn it off and turns on when I power on the TV.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'm looking for schematic diagram of PiTFT [1], but it doesn't seem to be on the net. I want to power it from 3.3V and use button IOs for something else. I know that I'll be OK with the button IOs, but I can't find if PiTFT uses 5V or 3.3V.
    Any ideas where to look for the schematic?

[1] https://www.adafruit.com/products/1601

https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-pitft-28-inch-resistive-touchscreen-display-raspberry-pi.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

Update 2: According Hack A Day Element14 accidentally shipped at least one Model B+ to a customer who had ordered a Model B, and European Raspberry Pi distributor RS Components has posted a spec sheet and schematics and priced the Model B + at €29.90. The original Model B sells for €27.40.

Imagine the huge surprise that customer must have experienced when that package arrived! :D

• Advertisement

Looks like there are some very important changes for mobile projects:
    - Micro SD. The old friction-fit SD card socket has been replaced with a much nicer push-push micro SD version.
    - Lower power consumption. By replacing linear regulators with switching ones we’ve reduced power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W.

I bought model A a few days ago purely to have low power usage for battery powered cycling computer project.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/91-hardware/7531-new-raspberry-pi-b.html

Advertisement