Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores interview

Options
  • 04-11-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi everyone,

I have an interview for customer assistant in Dunnes tomorrow, has anyone had a similar interview? what questions did they ask? etc.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

lovesir wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have an interview for customer assistant in Dunnes tomorrow, has anyone had a similar interview? what questions did they ask? etc.

Thank you.

Hello I did one 2 years ago for sales assistant for christmas. Mine was relatively informal they referenced the cv a lot and my work experience I had and hobbies and stuff.

You might be asked how you would deal with a difficult customer/ A time you've helped someone etc usual retail questions.

Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lovesir

Thank you for the help I had my interview it was pretty basic, she just asked me about myself and my experience I got a call a few hours later saying i got it ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AaronFitz10

Hi I have the same interview for dunnes store in a couple of days, it is my first interview I am just wondering what questions they asked you and should I wear a full suit ?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hi I have the same interview for dunnes store in a couple of days, it is my first interview I am just wondering what questions they asked you and should I wear a full suit ?

thanks

If its a retail job don't wear a full suit. A shirt, tie and good trousers will suffice.

Providing you don't accidently say how much you admired Adolf Hitler or that you think your interviewer resembles a dying rat, you more or less have the job. Just be calm and answer the questions directly. For shop floor jobs they are interviewing you on the basis that they're more than likely going to hire you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AaronFitz10

okay thanks for the help I really appreciate it

it was very informal so don't wear a suit, she basically asked me to talk about myself, what i'm doing at the moment, little bit on past experience, my availability, what part of the store i would like to work in and if i had any holidays booked, that was pretty much it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 messed up

i have one tomorrow with them as well so thanks a million for the advice

no problem good luck, my contract is up the 24th of dec and i have been told no one gets kept on in there as its cheaper for them to rehire new staff or something did anyone else hear that?

• Advertisement

I work in Dunnes head office (Also worked in a store, but thats a different story) In my experience very few temps get kept on after their christmas contracts. But what I have seen happen is that 3 or 4 months down the line and an opening emerges, the ex temp is a shoe in for the vacant role. So fingers crossed folks, it definately will open some doors for you.

Denerick wrote: »
    I work in Dunnes head office (Also worked in a store, but thats a different story) In my experience very few temps get kept on after their christmas contracts. But what I have seen happen is that 3 or 4 months down the line and an opening emerges, the ex temp is a shoe in for the vacant role. So fingers crossed folks, it definately will open some doors for you.

thanks for the advice may i ask why dunnes continuously let go staff after the 3 month contract and they replace them with new people straight away ? the store i'm in is always hiring new people yet letting go people after their contract is up and in most cases they are good workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Thank you for the help I had my interview it was pretty basic, she just asked me about myself and my experience I got a call a few hours later saying i got it ! :)

Thats great news. Without going into detail about what you said. Tell me what questions were asked. Did she ask tell me about yourself?

How did you respond to that as did you talk about your previous work expereience what hobbies you have and so on.

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    Thats great news. Without going into detail about what you said. Tell me what questions were asked. Did she ask tell me about yourself?

How did you respond to that as did you talk about your previous work expereience what hobbies you have and so on.

yeah she just said tell me about yourself i just said my age that i was in college and i didn't like my course then she asked me what i was studying. before the interview you fill in a form and you write your previous work experience on it so she asked me what i used to do in my old work. then she just said i'll tell you a bit about the role and that was it.

thanks for the advice may i ask why dunnes continuously let go staff after the 3 month contract and they replace them with new people straight away ? the store i'm in is always hiring new people yet letting go people after their contract is up and in most cases they are good workers.

Dunnes has a zero tolerance approach to punctuality. Good workers, even great workers will be dismissed if they're not regularly keeping good time (As in, being at least 5 minutes early for shifts, keeping to the 20 minute + 1 hour lunch periods) I've seen people let go because they made a habit of showing up at one minute past their starting time. This doesn't go un-noticed.

New staff on 3 month contracts are of course going to be dismissed for bad timekeeping. There are full time staff who have been there yonks with pretty poor timekeeping but its much harder to dismiss them for it (Though this happens from time to time also)

Denerick wrote: »
    Dunnes has a zero tolerance approach to punctuality. Good workers, even great workers will be dismissed if they're not regularly keeping good time (As in, being at least 5 minutes early for shifts, keeping to the 20 minute + 1 hour lunch periods) I've seen people let go because they made a habit of showing up at one minute past their starting time. This doesn't go un-noticed.

New staff on 3 month contracts are of course going to be dismissed for bad timekeeping. There are full time staff who have been there yonks with pretty poor timekeeping but its much harder to dismiss them for it (Though this happens from time to time also)

do you mean we should be clocking in 5 mins before were ment to? and yeah I have noticed that with full time employees they tend to go a lot slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

Ha! Ya I've noticed that alright. The tenured staff can stroll around and chat away to each other, but the new guys are expected to "hop to it!". Which is fair enough I think.

I just had my first day in Dunnes where I had to be trained on the register. After filling out all the paper work when I was done I was kind of panicking about whether I gave back the right change every time etc. Does anyone know how strict they are for that? Could I get the boot for being out by a euro or two? Luckily I'll be working in the back but I tend to lose sleep over these sort of things :(

i think it's normal to be a few cent out but if your lets say 10 euro out then you will get a warning i hear its worse to be up money than under.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 g3m

Hi everyone

I have an interview offer for night pack manager in Dunnes tomorrow, has anyone had a similar interview? what questions did they ask? etc.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Micko16

Hi everyone i recently had a interview for dunnes Saturday just gone I was told that inductions will be on Thursday so when should I hear back does anyone reckon I'm not sure like it has been 2 buisness days including today and I hvent heared anything thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Micko16 wrote: »
    Hi everyone i recently had a interview for dunnes Saturday just gone I was told that inductions will be on Thursday so when should I hear back does anyone reckon I'm not sure like it has been 2 buisness days including today and I hvent heared anything thanks for the help

Could give them a ring asking nicely for feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Closing this thread, as the recent poster has dup-posed in another one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement