Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Star Trek episode

Options
  • 04-11-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there's been a thread about this, but by the looks of things, they're all pretty old anyway.

So what is everyone's favourite episode? It can be from any series from TOS right through to Enterprise.

I'll get the ball rolling. I don't know if I can put my finger on one absolute favourite, but here are a few, in no particular order.

The Visitor - DS9
    In the Pale Moonlight - DS9
    Little Green Men - DS9

The Pegasus - TNG
    Tapestry - TNG
    The Best of Both Worlds - TNG
    Redemption 1 & 2 - TNG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Hard to argue with any of those ^.
    Should probably limit ourselves to 3 per show so we don't end up with massive lists with like 30/40 eps. Interested to see what people's absolute favourites are here.

TOS:
    • The Cage - A hell of a start.
    • The Doomsday Machine - 2x starships Vs planet killer = win.
    • The City on the Edge of Forever - Let the temporal shenanigans begin!

TNG:
    • Schisms - The unforgettable holodeck scene and the creepiness of the alien abduction idea.
    • Cause & Effect - Because you watch the same thing like 5 times and it gets better each time instead of boring.
    • Chain of Command II - David Warner & Patrick Stewart -> What can you say other than it's a privilege to watch those two masters of their craft at full tilt.

DS9:
    • Defiant - T. Riker, Dukat, Sisko, The Defiant and a hell of an enthralling chase.
    • The Wire - "Especially the lies" :D An entire episode of Garak: Perfect.
    • Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges - Because the chameleonic Sloan is one of the great Trek characters despite him only appearing in like 4 eps.

Voyager:
    • Blink of an Eye - A fantastic genuine science fiction screenplay.
    • Latent Image - Robert Picardo is outstanding (as usual) in this ethical dilemma. (Don't let that put you off, it's still epic!)
    • Message in a Bottle - ROMULANS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm thinking about watching DS9 from the start again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Goldstein wrote: »
    Chain of Command II - David Warner & Patrick Stewart -> What can you say other than it's a privilege to watch those two masters of their craft at full tilt.

Awe, you beat me to it! :)

There are four lights!

Awesome episode.

Must check out a few of those episodes. There's one's I've forgotten all about :)

Another one I really like, "Dear Doctor" from Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

My own favourites:

I don't like TOS so I don't watch it. So, no favourites here.

TNG:
    • Who Watches The Watchers?: A great look at a pre-First Contact civilisation and what happens when it all goes wrong.
    • The Inner Light: An excellent, touching Picard-centric episode.
    • The Drumhead: I really liked how the spy paranoia built up over the course of the episode, not to mention Picard's eloquent defense at his own hearing.
    DS9:
    • Civil Defense: Dukat getting a taste of his own medicine.
    • Empok Nor: Creepy and atmospheric. Another great Garak episode.
    • Business as Usual: One of the better Quark-centric episodes, turns out Quark has a conscience after all. And Steven Berkoff is such a personality!
    VOY:
    • Nothing Human: A great ethical dilemma episode, the Doctor does a great job as usual.
    • Time and Again: One of the more interesting time travel episodes.
    • The Chute: Personally, ST doesn't do prison/confinement episodes well. This is an exception, imo.

ENT:
    • The Forge
    • Awakening
    • Kir'Shara
    I never found Enterprise epidoes memorable but I really liked the Surak's followers story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭Daith

Don't watch TOS or ENT but here goes

TNG
    • Tapestry: A very good "what-if" episode and it's nice to see Picard as a young man.
    • Face of The Enemy: One of the few good Troi eps and a great look at workings on a Romulan ship.
    • Yesterday's Enterprise: A first look at the Federation actually on the losing end of war.

DS9
    • Duet: DS9 rises above it's earlier TNG leanings and concentrates on what it does best. Politics, intrigue, great acting and writing.
    • Rapture: Sisko finally accepts his role as Emissary and hints of what is to become are sown.
    • Hard Times: Colm Meaney gets to act his socks off and this puts him up there with the best actors in Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Daith wrote: »
    • Hard Times: Colm Meaney gets to act his socks off and this puts him up there with the best actors in Trek.

Absolutely stunning episode, very very good one to put up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

TNG

Best of Both Worlds - The Borg. Locutus. Cliff hanger. Picard. Awesomeness.
    Redemption - Klingon civil war. Picard commanding a fleet to stop the Romulans. Data pwning.
    The Inner Light - Picard. Flute.

DS9

In The Pale Moonlight - Sisko brings the Romulans into the war, love Garak and Sisko in this episode.
    Trials and Tribble-ations - The Defiant meets the original Enterprise. The Sisko meets Kirk, I need tissues.
    Sacrifice of Angels - Epic. Space. Battle.

VOY

Blink of an Eye - Never tire of this episode.
    Year of Hell - How Voyager should've been, in a ship barely held apart.
    Timeless - Voyager is saved by the future!

Honourable mentions

Darmok - Picard and the alien captain, love those scenes
    Pegasus -
    Measure of a Man - Picard just owns this episode.
    The Defector - Romulan defector trying to stop a war between the Federation and the Empire.
    Living Witness - Voyager shown by history as naughty people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

TNG: The Inner Light, powerful and profound and an interesting thought experiment. There are similarities between this episode and some ancient Japanese Folklore tale. Time Squared, awesome moments like when Picard says he doesn't know what he's doing, Picard is shown in a very cerebral way and I think it would be quite accurate too, given that he seems almost distant, immersed in thought trying to figure out the puzzle. AGT, Measure of Man (Picard as has been mentioned owns and then owns some more), BOBW, Family (this one was a superb detailing of Picards state after assimilation, excellent character development and the dialogue after the fight in the vinyard was great "this is going to be with you for a long time...") Arrow of Time (the one I think with Samuel Clemens in it), I Borg (everyone slags this one off but I thought it was good) and Redemption. The Barclay episodes were also enjoyable, the first introduction episode was amusing and well paced, the one where he becomes hyper intelligent was also entertaining. Again its been mentioned that Data owns, which he does in a major way.

TOS had some great episode: the one about the flying vomit, Charlie X, Spaace Hippies etc. One of the most extreme episodes in trek would be Course Oblivion in Voy, the entire crew dies and the only remnant of their existence is space goo left over from their distingration which the real Voy records as an unidentified blob. I thought this episode was very modernist and it spared no punches.

• Advertisement

I'll have to re-watch the Inner Light soon.

One for me that blew me away completely was The Visitor from DS9. I'm not a big fan of Jake Sisko as a character so when I looked at what the next episode was on the DVD and saw it was about him I was like "ah, eh, meh" and I came very close to skipping it. Then I thought to myself "You might as well watch it in-case there's something important in it that will make sense in a future episode".

So I put the disc in and watched it and was completely blown away. It was quite possibly one of the best episodes of any TV show I have ever seen. I felt quite emotional at times during it and I was thinking to myself "jeez snap out of it, it's just a Jake Sisko story".

After it was over I couldn't believe how much I liked it and how good it was. I immediately went online to read a bit about it as I thought I was going insane thinking it was so well done. Turns out, it was voted one of the best episodes of the entire franchise. So I guess I wasn't that insane after all :D

G-Money wrote: »
    I'll have to re-watch the Inner Light soon.

One for me that blew me away completely was The Visitor from DS9. I'm not a big fan of Jake Sisko as a character so when I looked at what the next episode was on the DVD and saw it was about him I was like "ah, eh, meh" and I came very close to skipping it. Then I thought to myself "You might as well watch it in-case there's something important in it that will make sense in a future episode".

So I put the disc in and watched it and was completely blown away. It was quite possibly one of the best episodes of any TV show I have ever seen. I felt quite emotional at times during it and I was thinking to myself "jeez snap out of it, it's just a Jake Sisko story".

After it was over I couldn't believe how much I liked it and how good it was. I immediately went online to read a bit about it as I thought I was going insane thinking it was so well done. Turns out, it was voted one of the best episodes of the entire franchise. So I guess I wasn't that insane after all :D

Another incredible ep, high standard of recommendations here :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I going to have to check out this visitor episode, I think I tried watching it a year ago but within 5 seconds I just thought DS9 is ass and stopped, but I'm going to actually watch it this time.

but within 5 seconds I just thought DS9 is ass and stopped

That was your mistake, & a big one too.

Give it another go, & if you don't like it you've nothing but dead muscle where your heart should be :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Sorry, I love the Star Trek series's but I wouldn't be a hard core fan like some of ye guys. So many episodes to choose from, but I'll narrow it down to this:

TNG
    - Darmok, Inner Light, All Good Things...

VOY - Scorpion, Tsunkatse, Endgame

Any more suggestions for Voyager episodes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

G-Money wrote: »
    Any more suggestions for Voyager episodes?
    I always liked Basics Part 1 & 2 and Before and After (which was the basis for Year of Hell).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Scientific Method. Loved the scene between Neelix and Chakotay complaining about their illnesses in sickbay.

Just re-started watching DS9.

I watched an interesting episode of Voyager over the weekend called "Riddles". Its where Tuvok suffers from an energy discharge and he has to re-learn lots of things and he has a much easier going personality. Neelix isn't that annoying in that one, considering he's one of the main characters in the episode.

There's a nice scene in it near the end when Tuvok is talking to Neelix about getting the procedure done that will correct the problem and Tuvok is reluctant as he doesn't want to go back to the way he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Being a Star Trek fan since when I just love...

WHAT ARE LITTLE GIRLS MADE OF?
    THE MANTRAP
    CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER
    THAT WHICH SURVIVES
    WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE
    THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE
    CHARLIE X
    THE SQUIRE OF GOTHOS
    LET THAT BE YOUR LAST BATTLEFIELD
    I MUDD
    TURNABOUT INTRUDER
    FOR THE WORLD IS HOLLOW AND I HAVE TOUCHED THE SKY