Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iphone 4s on Tesco mobile NO SERVICE!!

• 04-11-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So finally got around to turning my new iphone 4s on today which i bought unlocked from apple an i have nothin but hassle.When i first turned it on i had 3 bars of edge for about 5 mins an then nothin just kept saying no service or searching ive been on to tesco customer care twice already,the first time they updated my internet settings an watnot but still no joy and the second time i rang they told me that the iphone is not really compatiable with tesco mobile:eek: Any ideas guys??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

im not alot of help, but tesco are with o2 arent they??
    and o2 have iphones too so i dont see why there would be a problem with the network!?

i hope someone else can shed some more light. theres a man from tesco mobile on the android thread somewhere maybe you could post on there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Have you plugged it into itunes with the sim inserted?
    Have you tried another simcard, even from another provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Same with mine on Vodafone. Have a bit of service then nothing. Ordered a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bradm3

Have you plugged it into itunes with the sim inserted?
    Have you tried another simcard, even from another provider?

Yea ive tried restoring it through itunes an still no joy,i dont have another simcard to try in it, im gonna get one tomorrow and see if that works

Same with mine on Vodafone. Have a bit of service then nothing. Ordered a replacement.

Did u buy it unlocked from apple?

• Advertisement

bradm3 wrote: »
    Did u buy it unlocked from apple?

yup

What did they say was the problem? Did they offer u a replacement straight away?

What did they say was the problem? Did they offer u a replacement straight away?

they offered replacement but will take two weeks cos of stock levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

I'm experiencing same problems, but didn't buy from Apple and it's locked to Meteor. Waiting for replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

There's problems with O2 with no service with the 4S. Check the O2 site/forum there's a post there about turning the sim pin off to help fix the problem (think its a little more than that). Give O2 customer care a ring and ask about the problem, I know your tesco but sounds like the same problem and they can at least maybe tell you what do...

Don't think the problem is widespread with O2, but there's a lot of people with the problem.

• Advertisement

Holy Moley, just deactivated sim pin on old iPhone. lashed it in to new one and bang .....5 bars.... and i'm on vodafone! freeekin weird. thanks.... will give it 24 hours then cancel my replacement.! Apple need to get their sh!t together and sort it out!

Seems to be widespread issue with 4s. This is how i cured mine: Go to settings and turn Location services off, Network selection to Manual (you will have to wait for it to finish search and choose your network provider from list), Sim pin off.

At least it isn't dropping signal every 15 minunes any more and doesn't get stuck every time I send a text message. I'm still taking replacement though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I like others was having similar problems with my eMobile sim on the 4s, I was able to receive calls and texts no bother but each time I tried to send a text, just as the green bar got towards the end it would hang and nothing would happen, then after a min or so I'd lose service, then it would lock back on to eMobile and I'd resend the message and the message would go fine. I got a replacement microsim last night and this was the very same. However, from about 9pm last night I had no issues at all, messages were all going first time and seem to be going quicker than ever too.

But, and here's the big but, I got up this morning and switched on the phone, inserted pin, and nothing, the phone just hung there for about 5 mins, turned off and on, but still nothing, eventually, it accepted the pin lock and left me in, and subsequently drop the signal a further 2 times. I have now took the advice of others on here, I've turned off pin lock, switched network selection from automatic to manual and so far all seems fine.

In one way I glad that I'm not the only one experiencing these problems as eMobile kept saying that they had never heard off it and were satisfied that my port was a 100% complete. I have arranged a callback from apple for Monday, so I'll see what they have to say about it. Personally, if we are having these problems, it must be affecting many more, the more people who contact apple the more likely chance they will issue an update to fix it.

Thanks again for the sound advice lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

With e mobile myself never got the problem the sim jus worked out of the box I must be one of very few

My mum got a 4s from O2 yesterday and it hand the things you where saying but got a new sim and know it working better then

analfabets wrote: »
    Seems to be widespread issue with 4s. This is how i cured mine: Go to settings and turn Location services off, Network selection to Manual (you will have to wait for it to finish search and choose your network provider from list), Sim pin off.

At least it isn't dropping signal every 15 minunes any more and doesn't get stuck every time I send a text message. I'm still taking replacement though.

I have tried that myself and its still not working for me:(

Right this problem has resurfaced again for me, just off the phone to apple, they have me doing a complete restore and this time setting the phone up as a new phone rather than a back up from my previous 3GS. They then want me to check the phone again, if its still happening, they will replace the phone for me, if the problem is gone, then they want be to back up from my previously saved backup file. If the problems reappears, then the problem is somewhere within the backup.

At this stage I just going through the motions with them, hopefully we will get to the bottom of it. I'll keep ye all updated.

Same here!! Im so frustrated with this phone right now i feel like returning it and goin back to android:(

Same here!! Im so frustrated with this phone right now i feel like returning it and goin back to android:(

Have you spoken to Apple about this?

Restore done and dusted eventually, everything seemed fine, was just about to put back on my original backup from earlier on and low and behold, it happened again.
    Back with me to apple, got through to a different guy and he's adamant that this is not a known issue and as I have received a replacement microsim already then it must be the handset. He advised me to go back to retailer and request a replacement, problem here though is it was an online transaction with emobile, who advised me to get in touch with apple regarding a replacement, Id imagine this is because of the short supply of stock which they have, or don't have as the case seems to be.

Apple, have agreed to issue me with a replacement 4s using the express replacement service at a cost of €29 which is been footed by emobile via a €30 credit back to my account. The replacement should be with me by Tuesday. Hopefully that will be the end of it, I dunno though, I'm dubious, Id imagine this may be a buy as there are quite a few getting similar versions of the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭smndly

Right Im having the exact same problem. Im with meteor.

iPhone works 80% of the time fine but sometimes signal drops and i get no bars, "no service" or "searching...". Also even if i have bars and it looks fine i sometimes cant ring the iphone and texts are failing half the time. (ususally work when i resend).

I've tried the location services off, sim pin off, manually select carrier etc but why should I have to compromise the security and functionality of my phone so i can receive a call???

So whats the best way of getting a replacement? Call meteor or call apple?

• Advertisement

smndly wrote: »
    Right Im having the exact same problem. Im with meteor.

iPhone works 80% of the time fine but sometimes signal drops and i get no bars, "no service" or "searching...". Also even if i have bars and it looks fine i sometimes cant ring the iphone and texts are failing half the time. (ususally work when i resend).

I've tried the location services off, sim pin off, manually select carrier etc but why should I have to compromise the security and functionality of my phone so i can receive a call???

So whats the best way of getting a replacement? Call meteor or call apple?
    I only meant that as temporary solution. And it still drops the signal, just not as often i'm still waiting for replacement. I's been more than a week now and they haven't got a white 4s in any of Carphone Warehouse shops.
    I still have my old iPhone but it wont take micro sim.

Well I went down the apple route rather than the emobile route for the replacement as I was aware that eMobile are now out of stock of the 4s, to be honest though, I'd imagine that the carrier companies would prefer us to go directly through apple, one thing I would suggest to you though, push meteor into either paying the €30 express replacement option for you.

@analfabets

I got eMobile to issue me with a standard sim replacement today so I could go back to my 3GS until my replacement comes, I'm terrified that I'd damage the 4s while I'm waiting for a replacement, so I've put it away until the courier delivers my replacement, eMobile also gave me a new microsim so as a simple phone call is all that will be needed to get the 4s going again.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well I went down the apple route rather than the emobile route for the replacement as I was aware that eMobile are now out of stock of the 4s, to be honest though, I'd imagine that the carrier companies would prefer us to go directly through apple, one thing I would suggest to you though, push meteor into either paying the €30 express replacement option for you.

@analfabets

I got eMobile to issue me with a standard sim replacement today so I could go back to my 3GS until my replacement comes, I'm terrified that I'd damage the 4s while I'm waiting for a replacement, so I've put it away until the courier delivers my replacement, eMobile also gave me a new microsim so as a simple phone call is all that will be needed to get the 4s going again.

Ok cheers thanks a lot for advice! So when you did it did you contact emobile first and say that you are going to get apple to replace you phone and that they have to foot the bill or did you contact them after?

When I spoke to eMobile first off, they advised me to try a new sim, to rule out that, if it turned out that the issue was still happening with the new sim, then the problem would seem to be with the handset and advised that I'd be best off going through apple for a replacement in that case.

After a few hours on the phone to apple yesterday, it was decided that the phone should be replaced, they advised me of their two postage options, and I told them that I wasn't happy that I was expected to pay a charge in a phone that was only 2 days old. It was then that I got back on to eMobile and told them that it was actually them who should be replacing the phone rather than apple as it was so new. They sort of acknowledged that and told me they would apply a credit of €30 to by acc.

I then rang back up apple on proceeded with the replacement, also, just be aware that apple will provisionally charge your CC €500 until you return the original 4s. I didn't have a problem with that.

Ok so it turns out that it was the tesco network that was the problem,i tried my girlfriends meteor sim card in it and it worked fine so i just changed networks to the three and its flying now fingers crossed it stays that way:)

Just to give ye the latest on my 4s, I got my replacement from apple today, after using it for a few hours now, I haven't encountered any issues at all, I have sent 30+ text messages and everyone of them went fine. I did swap the sim back to my original 4s to see if the problem had actually been fixed, but the first text I tried to send the issue arose again. So in my case it looks like it may have been a hardware issue.

Got onto apple today. They acknowledged that it is an error and im going to arrange the replacement tomorrow. How did you manage to make emobile pay the 30euro express charge? Meteor were having none of it!!

I just told them that it was unacceptable that I was expected to pay a fee to have a 2 day old phone replaced, for a problem that was nothing to do with me. I think they were just happy that they didn't have to replace it and they were passing the problem back to apple.

Did you buy the phone from meteor direct or did you get it from a store, if you got it from a store you are within your rights to demand for them to replace it providing it is within a certain time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

I just got an apple Iphone 4s of apple on Thursday 16.02.2012. put my sim card into the phone and in the house I have at least 3 bars. as soon as I go out in to the street I have no signal (no service) service provider Tesco mobile .

I rang apple they went through all the usual stuff could not find anything wrong with the phone. told me to try other sim cards in the phone, (go to a phone shop) I got my brothers sim card from 3 that worked ok. I got an 02 sim from a shop that worked ok I got a Vodafone sim card from my other brother that worked ok.

I got back in touch with Tesco they think that the sim card could be the problem , so are sending out another sim card, but I think that they cut down from a larger sim card to produce a micro sim.

This is what Tesco sent out, a cut down version.

• Advertisement
Advertisement