Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Works!!

• 04-11-2011 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey guys,

On teaching practice at the mo and looking to do the theme of 'water and sea life' for next week. I have some ideas but wondering if anyone has any good suggestion for History & English lessons under this topic? Also any ideas for music and religion welcome... The kids have already done Noah's Ark so that's out but is there any other bible stories that would fall under this theme?? Oh i've Junior Infants by the way, so lessons must be fun and lots of activities..

All ideas GREATLY appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Religion: Loads of stories on water in Alive O, but they're not usually covered until later.
    • The calming of the Sea of Galilee (Alive O 5)
    • Jesus walks on water
    • Turning of water into wine (too difficult for infants I'd say)
    • Holy water and baptism - being welcomed into the community (I think that's covered in Alive O 2 somewhere?

English: The picturebook/big book The Pig in the Pond maybe? There's stuff on it here. .

History: Stumped...

Science: You're probably doing floating and sinking? I've done it with Seniors before... it works well as long as you have good big bowls (to avoid good big splashes!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

search on google they have great ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

If you went for Pig in the Pond for English, a skills-based sequencing lesson might work for History? I don't know what you did for your History assignment last semester, but lots of the Mary I heads should have sequencing lessons you could adapt for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Shelley Silvertail the Mermaid by James Mahew might be a nice read aloud book tho not available in big book format. Or an abridged simplified version of the little mermaid perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

english the rainbow fish
    music, octopuses garden/yellow submarine/under the sea#
    history.... eemmmmmm ill have a think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 t_dun

Thanks a mill guys for the replies... Some great ideas :) Yup il do pig in the pond for english if i can get my hands on the book and doing rainbow fish in drama. For history i was thinking of doing archeology in a box, ya know the one where they dig in sand and maybe have stuff like shells, seaweed and that in it? Do ye think this would work? Also any ideas for PE lessons that they dont go too crazy for cos my supervisor wants to see PE, doesnt have to be linked to the theme!

Thanks for all the help!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 t_dun

Haha yes us mary i heads have plenty of sequencing lesson alryt :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

t_dun wrote: »
    Also any ideas for PE lessons that they dont go too crazy for cos my supervisor wants to see PE, doesnt have to be linked to the theme!

That's an unusual subject to request to see, no? What about the Birdie dance? Or another dance like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fionn MacCool and the Salmon of knowledge
    Great story, the children will love it

Do they still teach the old Irish stories in school?

Yellow Submarine will work for singing in a classroom, you couldn't come up with an easier song for children to learn

Advertisement