Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best places to stay In Cork

Options
  • 04-11-2011 9:07pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    I'm starting a new job down in Cork but it will only be a short term setup, I'll be in the Airport Industrial Estate and I'm looking at no more then 2-3 months that I need to be in Cork.

I don't want to be in a student area (farr too many years listening to them in Waterford :) ) and I'll be heading back home to my own house at the weekends.

Amenities wise I'm not too pushed but I'm into running so I was hoping to use the free time I'll have in the evenings to put in some training that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do at home.

Looking at a place in Belmont, Rochestown and curious what are people's thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 manzr

I'm not familiar with that area, however I stayed in the college view apartments on western road in cork city (run by Killarney/Crawford Guesthouse) for a month and half while I was on a short-term contract with work. Although it is across the road from UCC, it is not noisy and the street is mostly occupied by guest houses. They have both studio and 1 bed apartments and can be rented on a weekly/monthly basis. Parking is also provided, and the apartments can be serviced at your request. It may be worth checking out if Rochestown doesn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I was thinking Rochestown alright. Hartys Quay gives you access to a nice 6 mile run around by Blackrock Castle.

Jacobs Island same deal.

Both handy enough to get to airport and back on road to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Traffic can be crap from Hartys quay in the morning depending on what time you travel
    Douglas would be closer to work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

soundsham wrote: »
    Traffic can be crap from Hartys quay in the morning depending on what time you travel
    Douglas would be closer to work

That depends on what route you go...sure, if you head along the Rochestown Road and onto the South Ring it can be bad at times....but there are other ways to the airport from that area which avoids all that.

Traffic in Rochestown is always mentioned as being crap. Yes, by Cork standards it is a bad area for traffic. But for anyone moving to Cork (especially from Dublin) it is actually grand as you are usually only held up for a small portion of your trip and not the whole damn journey like can happen in Dublin.

I live in the estate next to Belmont. The wife works in the Airport business park. It takes her 20 mind max. She leaves around 8.15ish. Leaves the office at 5.15 and is home in 15 minutes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually yeah I'd need parking as well, to be honest I'm not pushed if traffic turns what would be a 10min journey into maybe 20-30min journey.

I'm used to a 40-60min commute (each way) for the past 4 years I just didn't fancy the time and petrol costs of a 90min commute to Cork (each way). Hence why I wanted to stay in cork :)

manzr, the college view apartments sound great but just looked at the prices and its way out of my budget as the site is saying €1379 for just 30 days. So sadly a no go for what I need for the two or so months but I might use them in the future if I'm visiting Cork :)

Still have to pay the mortgage at home sadly so budget its more suitable to a house share or something of maybe 200-250e a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 manzr

wow that's crazy! i was paying 600 a month there for a double studio apt! could be tricky to find a house share for such a short period of time. good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Hey op welcome to cork... :)

I work in the airport and live near Riverstick co cork... Check it out on Google maps..

You can get new cheap lettings like this due to empty unsold houses in area.

http://touch.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1101725&fr=touch

And for me the commute is 9 mins.. 15 if traffic is bad...

On the down side it is 20 mins outside the city center...

Best of luck....

Advertisement