Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another gaming rig...

Options
  • 04-11-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

A few weeks ago after trying out the BF3 Beta I realised that my computers have started to get a bit old. Initially I was looking to buy a laptop with decent battery life and decent gaming performance to replace both my aging laptop and my aging desktop. I found a laptop that met those criteria (Somewhat) and placed an order for it at €1050. Said laptop just barely scrapes 30FPS on medium-high settings 1024x768 according to benchmarks. Pretty pathetic performance for the money. The only laptops that can game reasonably fluently are either incredibly heavy, have 2 hour battery lives and cost nearly €1000 to boot.

So i've decided to take the €1000 budget I had set out earlier to get myself a proper portable laptop for college work and traveling and a desktop for gaming. I haven't chosen a laptop yet so i'm not sure what ceiling I should set for the desktop but i'd imagine €550-€600 would be the limit or i'll be entering netbook territory with regards to the laptop.

Now... enough of the boring back stories and tales that i'm sure you skipped over :p Time for some specs.

I know there aren't any compatibility issues e.t.c. with the components I selected but i'm not quite sure if all my decisions are sensible. I haven't been keeping up to date with the latest and greatest in desktop components so i'm not 100% certain that i'm getting the best value out of the components i've chosen.

Ideally, I want to be able to run BF3 maxed out on a 1680x1050 monitor and still have head room to allow me to upgrade in the future if I wish. I've already got a decent monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. I've got a 320GB HDD that I can use to tide me over until HDD prices go back to normal.

Here's the spec:
    Article No. HV1027IMDE Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 OC, 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch
    152,54 €

Article No. HV20G328DE 8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch
    38,87 €
    Article No. HV1140UODE ASUS P8H61/USB3 REV 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3 StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch
    69,35 €
    Article No. HV203N09DE Xigmatek Asgard II Midi Tower - black/orange, ohne Netzteil StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch
    32,35 €
    Article No. HV20I5K5DE Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch
    185,23 €
    Article No. HVR650SBDE Super-Flower SF650P14P 650W StdStock3.gif
    ready for dispatch
    42,18 €

Total of €520. I'd appreciate any critique. One thing i'm unsure about is the case and the size of the GTX 560.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

I'm also building a PC for BF3 and according to this benchmark article from Tomshardware you'd need a GTX570 to handle it on ultra settings at your resolution. However the 570 is at least 300e :eek: (269 is the cheapest I've seen on Hardwareversand, made by Palit)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

RE: Laptop, have a look at the K53E from ASUS. My brother picked one up for college for €420. i3-2410 (I think), 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Very capable, certainly not netbook territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €185,23
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €122,58
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9 €38,87
    ASUS P8H61 REV 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3 €65,27
    LG GH22NS50/70 bare schwarz €17,87
    3R Systems Design Gehäuse K400(+) Schwarz €23,24
    Super-Flower SF550P14P, 550Watt €34,82

Total: €487
    I've made a few changes...

HD6850 instead of a GTX 560. The difference in performance is almost negligible at 1680x1050. It still plays the likes of Crysis 2 and BF3 maxed out perfectly at my resolution and if I ever upgrade to 1080p i'll still get playable FPS.

Added a DVD-RW - I always forget to add a DVD RW.

Changed to a larger (And cheaper) case.

Changed to a 550W down from a 650W PSU. By my calculations I could even run a crossfire setup with two 6850s and still be just about alright with a 550w. 43ish amps on +12V rail which is more than enough.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to get the price as low as possible without compromising performance to open up the budget for the laptop a bit.

Serephucus wrote: »
    RE: Laptop, have a look at the K53E from ASUS. My brother picked one up for college for €420. i3-2410 (I think), 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Very capable, certainly not netbook territory.
    Reviews are looking pretty good for that. Where did he buy it do you know?

I've been looking at Dell's Vostro range as well. Some are actually fairly decent like the 3450. 13 hours idle battery life and it can be equipped with a 6490m. It's a tiny bit too pricy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Reviews are looking pretty good for that. Where did he buy it do you know?

I've been looking at Dell's Vostro range as well. Some are actually fairly decent like the 3450. 13 hours idle battery life and it can be equipped with a 6490m. It's a tiny bit too pricy though.

Pixmania, though I think it may have been on sale. Not sure.

• Advertisement

Doesn't anyone have any comments? I'm itching to push the order button and want to be sure I'm not making any stupid choices :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Doesn't anyone have any comments? I'm itching to push the order button and want to be sure I'm not making any stupid choices :p
    Why do you have an i5 2500k with a h61 mobo? They can't overclock. If you didn't want to oc I'd change the CPU to this: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41226&agid=1617

If you want to oc, you'd need to change the motherboard to p67, this one is popular: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41226&agid=1617

That's what I meant about stupid choices. I haven't really been keeping up to date for the past year or two with changes in hardware. The main reason I chose the 2500K is because I heard it can reach over 4GHz fairly easily.

There aren't any issues with OCing with a P67, are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

The P67 is OC-friendly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Don't get superflower's cheapo units. Amazon is the series that you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

if your budget is €600 and you already have a hdd, i'd thaught i'd let you know i'm selling my comp without the hdd for €600 if you intrested, but i can negociate the price abit:
    http://www.adverts.ie/1041692

But if you really want to build your own new i'd get this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €556.30 + €30 shipping
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 (Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)|€17.57
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€38.87
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.52
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€52.03
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€187.65
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155|€162.39
    ASUS P8H61 REV 3.0, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€65.27

swapped the 2500k for a 2400 to make more room for a faster graphics card because those non ti cards arn't so good

Hmm, i'm not too hot on that to be honest. It's €56 more for what I think is a lot less grunt. The 560 Ti is nice but I value a more powerful CPU higher than a more powerful GPU.

Here's my final set up I think

Article No. HV203T20DE entfernen
    Thermaltake Commander MS-I USB 3.0, ohne Netzteil
    ready for dispatch

39,77 €

Article No. HV20I5K5DE entfernen
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    ready for dispatch

185,23 €

Article No. HV1027SGDE entfernen
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express
    ready for dispatch

122,58 €

Article No. HV20G328DE entfernen
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9
    ready for dispatch

38,87 €

Article No. HVR550SFDE entfernen
    Super-Flower SF550P14P, 550Watt
    ready for dispatch

34,82 €

Article No. HV1130RZDE entfernen
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    ready for dispatch

90,77 €

Sum: €519(ish) Euro
    Good to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Monotype wrote: »
    Don't get superflower's cheapo units. Amazon is the series that you want.
    Article No. HVR550SFDE entfernen
    Super-Flower SF550P14P, 550Watt
    ready for dispatch

34,82 €

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30074
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069

Is it really necessary? I've used a fair few "cheapo" PSUs in builds over the years and haven't had any issues yet.

I'll go with the 450W Amazon anyway. The components i've chosen will draw around 330W by my calculations so there's still enough wiggle room I suppose.

So with the 450W Amazon, ready to order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Should be grand, burst on. You won't get the full potential of the 2500k with the stock cooler, but you'll more than likely manage to get to 4gHz.

Ordered and set up the transfer last night. Now, the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

Hi, I'm pretty much in the exact same position as you and I'll probably end up copying your rig directly when I eventually go to order it, but what are you doing about Windows 7? This will be my first time building my own computer so I'm only learning, and I see that there are a lot of different versions of Windows 7 available and I don't know what the difference is between them (except price :p). Why would I want to buy the most expensive one and why shouldn't I just get the cheapest? Which version are you getting? Why?

(I just guessed your using Windows 7 because you will be using the computer for gaming)

Whiskey757 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm pretty much in the exact same position as you and I'll probably end up copying your rig directly when I eventually go to order it, but what are you doing about Windows 7? This will be my first time building my own computer so I'm only learning, and I see that there are a lot of different versions of Windows 7 available and I don't know what the difference is between them (except price :p). Why would I want to buy the most expensive one and why shouldn't I just get the cheapest? Which version are you getting? Why?

(I just guessed your using Windows 7 because you will be using the computer for gaming)
    Anything but Windows 7 Starter is fine. Home Premium suits most people's needs but personally i'm going with Professional. Not because I really need it (Although I do appreciate the extra features) but moreso because I can get it for €45 as a student here
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

But really though, get anything but Starter or Home Basic and you're fine.

In other news, AIB apparently sent the money today. My account's been debited and my balance adjusted accordingly. Does that mean that Hardwareversand have the money by now or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

Anything but Windows 7 Starter is fine. Home Premium suits most people's needs but personally i'm going with Professional. Not because I really need it (Although I do appreciate the extra features) but moreso because I can get it for €45 as a student here
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

But really though, get anything but Starter or Home Basic and you're fine.

Woah, can any student sign up to that sight? If so, I'll get that there too.

• Advertisement

Hardwareversand just sent me an email confirming they've received the money. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to dispatch?

Edit: Cleared for delivery about 13 minutes ago. Here's hoping it's dispatched today. Very impressed with them so far. Cheaper and more efficient than Dabs in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Hardwareversand just sent me an email confirming they've received the money. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to dispatch?

I got my last order from them in seven days and there was a bank holiday amongst the 7 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fatgleeson

Can I ask how much delivery costs were? I didnt know about this site and was going to buy my new build from Dabs, but now I see this is site much cheaper. Also if you remember, could you let us know when you get the comp? I'd be interested to know how long it takes

fatgleeson wrote: »
    Can I ask how much delivery costs were?

€30 flat rate to Ireland.

fatgleeson wrote: »
    Can I ask how much delivery costs were? I didnt know about this site and was going to buy my new build from Dabs, but now I see this is site much cheaper. Also if you remember, could you let us know when you get the comp? I'd be interested to know how long it takes
    Will do.

So far i'm quite impressed by Hardwareversand.

Here's the timeline of events so far:
    2011-11-08 at 01:36 Online-Order
    2011-11-09 at 10:26 We received your payment amounting to 579,68 EUR .
    2011-11-09 at 12:21 Due to your payment the order was cleared for delivery.
    2011-11-09 at 13:34 The goods are ready for collection or assembling.
    2011-11-09 at 13:34 The invoice was made.
    2011-11-09 at 18:01 The goods were dispatched. - 2 package(s). Identcode(s): [XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXXXXXX] -

DHL's Tracking:
    Wed, 09.11.11 17:54 h
    DE
    The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically
    Wed, 09.11.11 18:44 h
    Bielefeld, DE
    The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
    Thu, 10.11.11 01:23 h
    Köln, DE
    The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
    Thu, 10.11.11 01:23 h
    Köln, DE
    The shipment is being transported to the destination country

Anyone know how long it usually takes DHL to get parcels over from Cologne to Dublin?

Anyone know how long it usually takes DHL to get parcels over from Cologne to Dublin?

Usually two working days between Cologne and my door. At least, that's what it is for me, in Arklow.

Try punching your tracking number into the Anpost website, see if it's in Portlaoise yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

My DHL tracking is identical, our stuff will probably be on the same plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

That tracking system from HWVS is awesome!

Your order makes me feel like I want to pull the trigger on my system now! but i'll wait for x-mas or after x-mas, hopefully they will have sales during then :D

Just wondering have anyone ordered from www.compuland.de or www.mindfactory.de before?

Usually two working days between Cologne and my door. At least, that's what it is for me, in Arklow.
    Hmm... that puts possible delivery dates as being either Tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday.
    Try punching your tracking number into the Anpost website, see if it's in Portlaoise yet.
    That's what i've been doing all day :P Nothing yet though.

• Advertisement

Hasn't changed from "The shipment is being transported to the destination country" since last Thursday on dhl.de and nothing whatsoever on An Post. Does that sound normal?

Advertisement