Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good vet for dog neutering

• 04-11-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am planning to get my Shih Tzu (female) neutered in November. She is just under 8 months old, but went into heat at 5.5 months, and apparently any time this month is a good time in her cycle to get it done.

We go to JJ Fox in portmarnock as a vet, i find them good for day to day stuff (although i wasn't very impressed with the temp vet they had last time i went down) As the spaying is obviously more serious, i am concerned they dont seem to have very up to date equipment, and when i mentioned that i had read somewhere about a new technique of just removing ovaries they had never even heard of it and told me it didn't exist and i was wrong. Now, Im not saying i wanted to go for a oophorectomy, but I was hoping to discuss it, and was quite concerned about the knowledge of the vet when they had never heard of it.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of good vets for neutering around the Dublin area (or maybe tell me Im being silly and my own vet will be just fine). Also would be interested to hear the general feedback on what form of neutering is best?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

While your concern is understandable I have to say that IMO spaying/neutering is not exactly difficult or demanding of an experienced vet - as with many surgeries the anaesthetic is the area of greatest risk.
    Having said that it is important that you have confidence in your vets ability.

p.s I had a friend whose father was a Gynaecologist and he used to spay his own cats :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Highly recommend Dennis Shannon in Clontarf (Bull Wall) or Tanis Turner in Anicare Clontarf on the malahide road

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Delancey wrote: »
    p.s I had a friend whose father was a Gynaecologist and he used to spay his own cats :eek:

Is this True? It is illegal for a medical doctor to carry out surgery on an animal.

OP, if you have doubts, listen to them. I'd be happy to vouch for Raheny Vet Hospital, They're really good. There's one vet, i think, in Dublin doing laparoscopic spays, but i've heard a couple of disaster stories about the procedure... That is not to diss the technique as it seems to have a great future, but every surgery has its risks and i worry about any procedure being hailed as risk-free, which does seem to be happening in the case of this particular procedure.
    Good luck with the wee lady, facing them into any op is always a bit scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

DBB wrote: »
    Is this True? It is illegal for a medical doctor to carry out surgery on an animal.

100% true , I suspect its not illegal though probably unethical - this guy was a ' character ' ( translates as eccentric , impossible to live with , hated by his children , etc ) in fairness I have to say his cats were magnificent looking and very well cared for - unorthodox spays notwithstanding :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you dont trust your vet to do neutering i wouldnt be going to them at all. Its the very first procedure they learn to do in surgical class in vet school and unless they're primarily a large animal vet, all small animal vets should know how to successfully neuter a companion animal in their sleep!It would worry me about their overall competency if they have issues with this basic op and/or not keeping up with advancements in the technique too.

+1 for Denis Shannon and also OScanaill vets in Swords ;)

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    DBB wrote: »

100% true , I suspect its not illegal though probably unethical

No, it is illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP, if you have doubts, listen to them. I'd be happy to vouch for Raheny Vet Hospital, They're really good. There's one vet, i think, in Dublin doing laparoscopic spays, but i've heard a couple of disaster stories about the procedure... That is not to diss the technique as it seems to have a great future, but every surgery has its risks and i worry about any procedure being hailed as risk-free, which does seem to be happening in the case of this particular procedure.
    Good luck with the wee lady, facing them into any op is always a bit scary![/Quote]

Hi; Agree totally re Raheny Vets : they're great.
    I'm a bit worried about your comments on L Spaying; what have you heard & is this personal stories or urban myths ? Was thinking of getting this done. Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Dennis Shannon in Clontarf spayed my dog about a month ago - he is really great and the dog did great - didnt even require a cone afterwards - apparently if the stiches are not too tight less need for dogs to pull at them :)

I'm a bit worried about your comments on L Spaying; what have you heard & is this personal stories or urban myths ? Was thinking of getting this done. Thanks !

I don't post urban myth!
    I know a couple of people who experienced post-op difficulties after the laparoscopic spay, but I am not trying to scaremonger. Every surgery has its risks. The only reason I brought it up was to remind people of this, because previous posts I've seen regarding this procedure have given the impression it's infallible.
    So, please don't panic. That was not the intention of my comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi : ) great re urban myths!!! :)
    But really; it's a worry; what kind of problems have you heard of? You can't leave us hanging like that :0
    Its a big worry

• Advertisement

Hi : ) great re urban myths!!! :)
    But really; it's a worry; what kind of problems have you heard of? You can't leave us hanging like that :0
    Its a big worry

I'm not leaving anyone hanging. I've posted that there were post-op complications, just as there can be after any op. I don't think it's healthy that this procedure has been lauded here and elsewhere as the answer to all spaying woes, because it is an operation, and is therefore subject to risks.
    Don't get me wrong, the procedure seems a great step forward, but the sole intention of my post was to remind people that every op involves risk.
    I'm not going to go into specifics as I don't see the point, this thread is going OT, and I don't want to start a mudslinging session.

Advertisement