Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ebay MAC make up brushes - real or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

sporina wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, I am thinking of buying these make up brushes on ebay - but are they really MAC? What do you think, those of you in the know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12PCS-Pro-Makeup-Brush-Brushes-Set-Free-Pouch-/180750070649?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_Up_Sets_LE&hash=item2a158b3379#ht_4807wt_1195

Fake. Don't buy MAC brushes off ebay 99% of the time their fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

They are fake.

A 9 piece M.A.C brush collection for £8.99? Not a chance of it!

Golden rule: If it looks too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true.

M.A.C brushes in Brown Thomas range in price from €20 to €50 and that's per brush, brush packs are more expensive.

The item location on that auction is China, you can be 99.9% sure that any branded product (MAC, Lancome, Clinique etc) are not genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭sporina

so are they allowed to advertise products to be a certain brand, when they are not? i wonder if i am entitled to my money back as i do not want them now? I do not think they have posted them yet..

so are they allowed to advertise products to be a certain brand, when they are not? i wonder if i am entitled to my money back as i do not want them now? I do not think they have posted them yet..
    If you and enough others report that product for sale eBay will take it down.

I don't know if they will take any action against the seller though.

I'd say try contacting the seller and asking for a refund as you don't want the product, they may say no though.

If they do say no, you could wait until you do get the products and then start a PayPal dispute and say the goods are false. Hopefully PayPal will find the dispute in your favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

If you get the brushes and they're fake, I think you can claim your money back through paypal on the basis of counterfeit goods.

• Advertisement

great well i mailed the seller there and asked if they were real or not and that if they are fake then i do not want them and that i want a total refund. and that if i do not get a total refund that i will take the necessary action.
    So well will see.

great well i mailed the seller there and asked if they were real or not and that if they are fake then i do not want them and that i want a total refund. and that if i do not get a total refund that i will take the necessary action.
    So well will see.
    Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Remember you only have 45 days to start a dispute in PayPal and some sellers try and delay you as long as possible and some buyers don't realise they only 45 days to start a dispute. The sooner you start a dispute the better.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Remember you only have 45 days to start a dispute in PayPal and some sellers try and delay you as long as possible and some buyers don't realise they only 45 days to start a dispute. The sooner you start a dispute the better.

thanks for that - the seller is super keen to get a good rating so hopefully all will be well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hi Ladies, I am thinking of buying these make up brushes on ebay - but are they really MAC? What do you think, those of you in the know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12PCS-Pro-Makeup-Brush-Brushes-Set-Free-Pouch-/180750070649?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_Up_Sets_LE&hash=item2a158b3379#ht_4807wt_1195

You didn't seem to wait before buying them. Someone replied within 8 minutes and you still bought them! No point in asking the seller if they are real or fake as they are 100% fake.

Also, notice that the seller never actually says they are Mac directly. The pictures show it but the word is not typed anywhere. This is another indicator they are fake.

Pythia wrote: »
    You didn't seem to wait before buying them. Someone replied within 8 minutes and you still bought them! No point in asking the seller if they are real or fake as they are 100% fake.

Also, notice that the seller never actually says they are Mac directly. The pictures show it but the word is not typed anywhere. This is another indicator they are fake.

huh? I bought them on Thursday!!! They are the same product as that I linked to the thread!

But true - they did not say that they were MAC. The word "PRO" is used and MAC is only in the pic. Anyway we will see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Tip for buying Mac brushes - the don't come in sets. The only brush sets Mac ever makes are the holiday specials (Christmas). The holiday sets are smaller than the standards, lesser quality, set of 5 usually, and usually come in a special edition colour and bag. Eg this is the 2011 collection here.

Mac do not make 12/18/20 piece brush sets.

Twee. wrote: »
    Tip for buying Mac brushes - the don't come in sets. The only brush sets Mac ever makes are the holiday specials (Christmas). The holiday sets are smaller than the standards, lesser quality, set of 5 usually, and usually come in a special edition colour and bag. Eg this is the 2011 collection here.

Mac do not make 12/18/20 piece brush sets.

thanks a million for that. I should have wrote this thread before buying the item in the first place. Lesson learnt.

huh? I bought them on Thursday!!! They are the same product as that I linked to the thread!

But true - they did not say that they were MAC. The word "PRO" is used and MAC is only in the pic. Anyway we will see what they say.

Oh, well you said you were thinking of buying them in the OP! That's why I said that earlier, sorry!

Yeh they're definitely fake OP, the only thing I will say though is that my aunt bought me one of those fake sets and the brushes, though not mac quality, are quite good. So if you get them in the post, you might be happy to hang onto them for £9

Yeh they're definitely fake OP, the only thing I will say though is that my aunt bought me one of those fake sets and the brushes, though not mac quality, are quite good. So if you get them in the post, you might be happy to hang onto them for £9

hmm - but how does one know whether or not they are any good? I have only recently started using make up brushes, well except for a blusher and powder brush - I have always used them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

hmm - but how does one know whether or not they are any good?

IMO good make up brushes are soft and don't scratch, they don't shed, they keep their shape after a lot of use and keep their shape after cleaning/washing them.

I think as well that good quality brushes make a huge difference when applying your make up and getting a look just right. You need the right tools for the right job. :)

IMO good make up brushes are soft and don't scratch, they don't shed, they keep their shape after a lot of use and keep their shape after cleaning/washing them.

I think as well that good quality brushes make a huge difference when applying your make up and getting a look just right. You need the right tools for the right job. :)

thanks for that..

From here on in, I think I will just buy good brushes over time.
    anyone know where I can get a good brand at a reasonable price? Perhaps on line?

Yes, you will know by the feel of them. The one's I got were nice and soft.

ELF apparently are quite good, I've never personally ordered from them but have read lots of good reviews on here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've got Sigma brushes too, which I really like. Bought some for my mom too during the year and she likes them too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

• Advertisement

update with regards to my original post.
    The seller has refunded me for the brushes even though they have already sent them in the post (though i told them not to).
    The plan is for me to send them back or keep them and repay. I asked if they were MAC and the reply didn't say whether or not they were mac but that they are made from real animal hair.??

update with regards to my original post.
    The seller has refunded me for the brushes even though they have already sent them in the post (though i told them not to).
    The plan is for me to send them back or keep them and repay. I asked if they were MAC and the reply didn't say whether or not they were mac but that they are made from real animal hair.??
    Personally as you've been refunded I wouldn't return or repay for the goods, it is illegal to send false goods through the post (as far as I know).

Whether they are made from animal hair or not, make's no difference. They are not M.A.C brushes.

As Twee said, M.A.C don't do brush sets (only special editions for holidays, eg; Xmas) but no other time.

And as said before M.A.C brushes are between €20 and €50 euros in Brown Thomas and that's per brush, so twelve brushes for £9 would make that £0.75 pence per brush. There is absolutely no way those brushes are genuine.

Who on earth would sell genuine M.A.C brushes for £0.75/£9 when they could list each brush individually and get way more for them?

As I said before, ANY branded goods (no matter what brand they are) that come from China/Asia, chances are 99.9% of those goods are fake.

You are far, far better off buying going brushes over time. You don't even have to buy M.A.C brushes. There are other, cheaper brands out there that are just as good. You don't need to spend a bomb to get good brushes.

I have ELF Studio brushes and find them as good as other branded brushes. There is a brand in Boots called "Ms Make up" and they are fantastic. Most brushes are under €10. I have an eye shadow brush for about five years now, used and washed loads and it's still in perfect condition.

http://www.myotcstore.com/store/c/1949-Ms-Makeup-blush.aspx

Ruby and Millie do fantastic brushes too. They are no longer available in Boots, but you can get them on Amazon.co.uk and eBay.

EcoTools brushes are meant to be good, I have never used them, but have heard great things about them.

Gosh do brushes as well which are meant to be good, again I've never used them but have heard good things about them.

I think I will have to wait and see when I get them and then I will compare them with my mate's original MAC's. We could do a little experiment with them - see if there is a difference in the final result ie the make up. Could be interesting. I will keep you posted.

I think I will have to wait and see when I get them and then I will compare them with my mate's original MAC's. We could do a little experiment with them - see if there is a difference in the final result ie the make up. Could be interesting. I will keep you posted.

They might be ok the first time you use them but they will not last and will shed everywhere. Real brushes will be still going years later. That's one of the big reasons you pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

They're 100% fake, as are most MAC brushes on eBay. My sister bought a set about a year ago just to see what kind of quality they were and they were disgusting - the paint was peeling off the handles, they shed everywhere, the tops were loose, the 'MAC' logo rubbed off, the case smelled of varnish, the bristles were hard and to be honest I wouldn't use them for painting a picture, never mind put them near my face.

There are brilliant alternatives out there if you want good quality for a cheaper price than authentic MAC - the ELF studio line has already been mentioned, but I also like No7 eyeshadow brushes and GOSH haven't a bad line either, their foundation brush in particular is good. Please don't buy fake MAC brushes (or make-up) from eBay - those sellers are out to make a quick buck selling really bad quality (and potentially dangerous) products on the back of a reputation that a company worked hard to establish. God knows what they're made from. Don't touch them!

They're 100% fake, as are most MAC brushes on eBay. My sister bought a set about a year ago just to see what kind of quality they were and they were disgusting - the paint was peeling off the handles, they shed everywhere, the tops were loose, the 'MAC' logo rubbed off, the case smelled of varnish, the bristles were hard and to be honest I wouldn't use them for painting a picture, never mind put them near my face.

There are brilliant alternatives out there if you want good quality for a cheaper price than authentic MAC - the ELF studio line has already been mentioned, but I also like No7 eyeshadow brushes and GOSH haven't a bad line either, their foundation brush in particular is good. Please don't buy fake MAC brushes (or make-up) from eBay - those sellers are out to make a quick buck selling really bad quality (and potentially dangerous) products on the back of a reputation that a company worked hard to establish. God knows what they're made from. Don't touch them!

yeah i wonder where they get them - the item numbers are the exact same as MAC too..

they will be going back me thinks.
    I got a few of the eco tools brushes from boots - they are ok as far as i know - except for one - the head came off and I had to glue it back on

got my make up brushes - fake as a snake in Ireland..

they will be going back.

I already got my money back for them but now I have to pay to post them back..:rolleyes:

got my make up brushes - fake as a snake in Ireland..

they will be going back.

I already got my money back for them but now I have to pay to post them back..:rolleyes:

Why would you post them back? You already have your money!

• Advertisement

oh i could not do that - not unless they just told me to keep them

but the rule on ebay is that if you want to return something, you have to pay for the postage and it has to be registered.

i am going to ask them to pay for the postage though - as I asked them not to send them to me in the first place.

i think i will be buying my brushes in drips and drabs from now on..

oh i could not do that - not unless they just told me to keep them

but the rule on ebay is that if you want to return something, you have to pay for the postage and it has to be registered.

i am going to ask them to pay for the postage though - as I asked them not to send them to me in the first place.

i think i will be buying my brushes in drips and drabs from now on..

If you send them back, they will sell them to someone else. I would throw them in the bin and forget about it. Certainly do not spend your own money on sending them back.

Advertisement