Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Phone companies and locking?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Do any of the irish phone companies ( O2, vodafone, meteor, emobile, Three, tesco ) lock their pre pay phones.?
    I intend to buy one here and use my UK sim while i'm in the UK ( its an O2 uk bill pay SIM )
    Basically i am looking to pick up a pre pay phone in ireland that I can pop my uk SIM into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    Do any of the irish phone companies ( O2, vodafone, meteor, emobile, Three, tesco ) lock their pre pay phones.?
    I intend to buy one here and use my UK sim while i'm in the UK ( its an O2 uk bill pay SIM )
    Basically i am looking to pick up a pre pay phone in ireland that I can pop my uk SIM into.

They pretty much all lock their pre pay phones. They usually unlock them if you've spent enough credit on them. As a guide, around 150 euro In credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

They lock pretty much all their phones, yes.

In certain circumstances, people who buy a newly released phone get away without it being locked as the network are just tryint to release the handset as soon as possible.

If you spen a certain amount(depends ont he price of the handset) on credit however, you'll be given the code on request.

Ha, beaten to it by pretty much the exact same first line!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

All do lock them, pretty exceptional to manage to find one unlocked at time of purchase. Unlocking is easy and relatively cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

They all lock their prepay phones. You can usually pick up a basic sim free phone for fairly small money anyway.

Example: http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/category/SIM-Free%20Phone%20Listings/1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Ok lets say i pick up an irish O2 pre-pay, will that work with a UK O2 bill pay SIM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I've heard of people bringing O2uk phones back to Ireland and they work with Irish O2 Sims. I haven't heard of it working the other way. It's a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Ok lets say i pick up an irish O2 pre-pay, will that work with a UK O2 bill pay SIM?

If it is unlocked it will work, if not it won't. It is very unlikely to be unlocked unless you unlock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Tesco do a range of sim-free phones, as distinct from their regular range.

Advertisement