Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any GP friendly receptionists

Options
  • 05-11-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a city centre GP with good receptionists? They are the type of characters that you would expect to find working as receptionists in a methadone clinic but worse!

I have been going to Whitehall medical centre at back of Eyre square shopping centre since moving to Galway but never have had a good experience with any of the receptionists that work there.

Last week I only went in to enquire about what the procedure was for getting a health assessment for learner driver permit application. I made a concious effort to avoid keeping my disturbance as painless as possible for the secretary but as per usual I left extremely dissatisfied. So much so I decided to change doctor. I then rang Galway bay medical centre and the woman there was also rude so didn't bother booking an appointment there either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I went to Galway Bay for an emergency appointment and found the receptionists (I spoke to a woman on the phone and when I got there, there was a man) to be lovely and really friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

My first call to Galway Bay did find the receptionist somewhat abrupt but was lovely in person. The two receptionists I encountered there on subsequent visits were friendly too. I would also say I found both GPs excellent so I would suggest a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It's unfortunate to meet an unfriendly person anywhere but I'm inclined to say suck it up. If you find the doctor helpful then I wouldn't much care much about the receptionists manner as long as she was efficient. Finding a good gp is much more important than finding a chipper receptionist. The easiest thing to do to solve your predicament is just decide to ignore them if they're snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. G Brennan on Newcastle Road.The receptionists there are genuinely the friendliest, nicest women you could know. You can pm me for the number if you like. I started to go there almost 15 years ago and have never changed doctor even though I live outside the city now. This is due to both the doctors and the receptionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The Galway bay receptionists have always been helpful and polite to me anytime I've been in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. G Brennan on Newcastle Road.The receptionists there are genuinely the friendliest, nicest women you could know. You can pm me for the number if you like. I started to go there almost 15 years ago and have never changed doctor even though I live outside the city now. This is due to both the doctors and the receptionists.

+1 on This. I find Dr. G Brennan and his staff absolutely amazing. He has been my doctor all my life and will continue to be.

Not that it matters much to me, but the receptionists in there are great... genuinely nice people, and one of the ladies still remembers me from my childhood and always asks how the family are, despite the fact that I may only be in there once a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

techyjon wrote: »
    I made a concious effort to avoid keeping my disturbance as painless as possible for the secretary

Maybe this is the problem.:D

No, but seriously. Focus on the GP, not the receptionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

techyjon wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a city centre GP with good receptionists? They are the type of characters that you would expect to find working as receptionists in a methadone clinic but worse!

I have been going to Whitehall medical centre at back of Eyre square shopping centre since moving to Galway but never have had a good experience with any of the receptionists that work there.

Last week I only went in to enquire about what the procedure was for getting a health assessment for learner driver permit application. I made a concious effort to avoid keeping my disturbance as painless as possible for the secretary but as per usual I left extremely dissatisfied. So much so I decided to change doctor. I then rang Galway bay medical centre and the woman there was also rude so didn't bother booking an appointment there either.

why not ask them directly why they are being so rude? They may not be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I go to Whitehall and find the doctor I use (Dr. Long) very, very good.

On the phone the receptionist does get a bit stroppy, but they tend to be fine in person.

As others have said, concentrate on finding a good doctor rather than a good receptionist; if the doctor is good, then the receptionist should be busy and may be a bit more cantankerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe they weren't rude at all? Or not accommodating enough?
    This is why I don't like when people put businesses down. We have nothing to verify what actually happened, just someone from the internet's word that a business isn't up to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Ah no they are fairly narky alright. No need for it.

Advertisement