Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths - what is your biggest problem with this?

• 05-11-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am interested to hear your opinion, especially if you are doing LC 2012, as to what is your biggest concern / problem is with the Project maths part of the syllabus?
    What kind of support would help you to deal with Project Maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Project Maths is bullshít. It's the same course with just added new bits. Not in anyway easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My biggest problem is how fúcking shít it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

its nothing but an embarrassment and by no ways easier!

I remember hearing on the radio somewhere in countries where they have brought this course in it has failed in every country and they have reverted to back to the old course. I don't see ireland being any different. There was nothing wrong with the old course. The pass at least is obtainable if you put some effort in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Meh, tbh I like the stats/probability because its logical. If you dont know a formula etc in Algebra/Trig/Geometry thats it, you cant really do very well in that question, but these questions seem to follow a logical sequence of events that almost tell you what you need to do or something.

Its not that much easier and of course, maybe the old course was like that too, I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

This is my biggest maths problem. If you can work it out I'll give you a Gold star.

19 +
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The course itself is grand, but could do without so much writing and asking questions beyond the reaches of LC maths (really they're engineering/architecture questions often that we haven't a hope of answering properly).

I also hate the graphs we have to answer on. I've spent 6 years perfecting how I answer questions and not having infinite amounts of lined paper is annoying.

It also should have been introduced in 1st year. Having it in 5th year made our course impossibly long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

eamonn4321 wrote: »
    I am interested to hear your opinion, especially if you are doing LC 2012, as to what is your biggest concern / problem is with the Project maths part of the syllabus?
    What kind of support would help you to deal with Project Maths?
    My main problem with project maths is:

NO FÚCKING EXAM PAPERS!!!

Seriously it's a biatch having hardly any examples to work off!!. And the answers at the back of our book are all wrong!.

The teachers have no idea what's going on and it's so unfair!. The lack of support by SEC is seriously messing with people's future.. I do OL and know I am going to pass Maths regardless, I'd love an A2 and think I might just get it, but for people doing HL and looking for Medicine etc. the lack of examples is making it a bit tough! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

The fact that you need a dictionary to answer some of the questions. We were given a question from our teacher with the word causality in it. Half of the class didn't know what it meant and the other half thought it said casualty. With a bit of time I suppose you could guess correctly what it meant, but when you're in an exam situation under pressure, you're probably going to think it says casualty and have a mental breakdown. I'm in honours by the way.

^Yeah, I read that as casualty until you pointed out that it wasnt :eek:

The back of our book is all wrong too, Active Maths by any chance? And would it kill them to make a few exam papers, seriously, it wouldnt take long :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many people's problem with the Project Maths approach is that you can't learn stuff off and have to actually understand concepts.
    It's shocking. How dare they!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I did project maths last year, we had even less resources. Be grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

spurious wrote: »
    Many people's problem with the Project Maths approach is that you can't learn stuff off and have to actually understand concepts.

No problem with that, it's the fact that up to JC we've had to learn stuff off, and suddenly in 5th Year have this 'understanding' nonsense (yeah, I said it) thrown upon us. It's a different method of learning, and it's unfair on us, and the current 5th Years. After that, when the LCers will have done Project Maths for the JC, I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

To be honest I don't particularly enjoy rote learning and I'd actually prefer it if that wasn't the only way to succeed in most exams. The underlying problem is what a mess the SEC have made of implementing it - incoming first years should start with the whole new course rather than bits and pieces of it being inserted into the curriculum for current sixth years. At this rate we'll barely have received and used the sample papers on time for the mocks, and the supplement book we're using has errors...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I am in 5th year at the moment and I agree with all the answers here! I hate the fact there aren't exam papers. And the stupid sample papers don't even have marking schemes out! It's pathetic. The SEC should really have produced a book of exam papers (at least 10 years worth) when producing this syllabus!

And the book...half the answers at the back are wrong which really annoys me! So you don't know whether it's right or wrong.

And finally, Probability. I find it hard a lot of the time and I think that's mainly because I've only been introduced to this "new approach" this year. We started the course this year with Algebra which I found easy enough. I was getting questions right and if I got them wrong - I was able to understand where I went wrong.

If you get a question wrong in Project Maths - the reason is mainly because the questions are twisting their words to confuse you.

However, I think it's starting to grow on me. I have been going over probability this week and it is starting to "click" but how am I supposed to know for sure if I can't practice with exam papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wealthyman

Does anybody know when the EP will be out? I just need to scrape an OD3 so not all that worried.

wealthyman wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the EP will be out? I just need to scrape an OD3 so not all that worried.

if you work from last years paper 1's that's grand. Not sure about p2 though. I was told in shops they are out after the midterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

are they going to be bringing out Sample Papers? Anyone know?

I heard if they ask you what conclusion you can draw from a graph and you say something like "Girls play more sport than boys" you get 0 marks for making an assumption and not saying "in general"? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I heard if they ask you what conclusion you can draw from a graph and you say something like "Girls play more sport than boys" you get 0 marks for making an assumption and not saying "in general"? :/

Pretty sure thats not true

Patchy~ wrote: »

I dont think thats true havent heard the teacher saying that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I think it's WAY easier than the old course, and I'm pretty sure most people in my honours class agree. Maths is my thing, so making sure you understand the concept instead of just learning something off suits me, and I personally think it's a better approach. Certainly I believe it should stick in people's heads better if they understand it.
    I do agree though that they've made a mess of implementing it. Just like in Irish, the sample exam papers arrived ridiculously late, and the Active Maths books (the second edition is no better than the first) has a ridiculous amount of mistakes.
    There probably is too much "englishy" stuff in it. I don't mind it because I'm quite good at English, but someone who's great at maths, and rubbish at English is at a major disadvantage.

You seem to have an extraordinarily low opinion of leaving cert students. HL maths wasn't a subject you could learn things off for to begin with. Whats happened now is they're shoving an entirely new way of approaching and answering questions at us with no examples, poor teacher training and books with wrong answers at the back. My book has very few examples of the new types of questions that are all writing and no numbers. How am I supposed to be ok with that? To claim we're just slackers without two brain cells to rub together is just what the media does all the time, blame students for everything in a system we have zero influence over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chuchoter wrote: »
    You seem to have an extraordinarily low opinion of leaving cert students. HL maths wasn't a subject you could learn things off for to begin with. Whats happened now is they're shoving an entirely new way of approaching and answering questions at us with no examples, poor teacher training and books with wrong answers at the back. My book has very few examples of the new types of questions that are all writing and no numbers. How am I supposed to be ok with that? To claim we're just slackers without two brain cells to rub together is just what the media does all the time, blame students for everything in a system we have zero influence over.

What is the obsession with needing samples an examples of questions? You either know and understand the syllabus or you don't.
    In the 1980s we never saw exam papers before exams.
    Were the exams easier then?
    I'll leave that one up to you.

What is the obsession with needing samples an examples of questions? You either know and understand the syllabus or you don't.

What is slant height in terms of pyramids? Pyramids are all over the place in the new trigonometry and its not what you'd think it is had you never seen it before. That's why you need sample papers. As well as this, you and your teachers weren't in a position where you had been taught one way of doing questions for years to then be told you have to do everything completely differently.

Also, I've done questions from pre 1995 in a few subjects. They are nowhere near as hard as people make them out to be.

Chuchoter wrote: »
    What is slant height in terms of pyramids? Pyramids are all over the place in the new trigonometry and its not what you'd think it is had you never seen it before. That's why you need sample papers. As well as this, you and your teachers weren't in a position where you had been taught one way of doing questions for years to then be told you have to do everything completely differently.

Also, I've done questions from pre 1995 in a few subjects. They are nowhere near as hard as people make them out to be.

I have to agree. I used to do very old maths papers as well and they were definitely not as bad as a couple of my teachers in particular make them out to be. I wonder too how much training teachers have done for this project maths? Being honest stats prove a lot couldn't teach the old course. I wonder will this be worse for the new course.

sure maths is all about practise and examples. Sure none of them are in the syllabus. What are we suppose to practise off?

The books that are written might not even be up to the standard of project maths as we don't know what to expect. And the wrong answers at the back that's even more helpful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Students need to be able to practice something to understand it.

There are good and bad aspects to project maths. Trigonometry is very doable now. The questions on the circle though are much harder than on the old paper and sometimes it is unclear whether you are meant to try and work something out or whether you are just meant to read it off the graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Actually a lot of the old exams were in fact easier, for example Economics(HL) the standard has increased tenfold in the last 20 years for this Subject as well as many others I believe.

The comments about 'not needing exam papers' is truly ridiculous, it that's the way the system operated when you did your Leaving Cert. that's fine, but for our age-group from first year we worked off examples that derived directly from Exam Papers..

We have been thrown into the Deep-end with the New Maths course, prior to your belief we have been. This thread was designed so people could discuss, and I quote:

"their biggest problem with Project Maths"

So, if a student who has posted on this threads biggest problem is a lack of exam papers you should respect their opinion and not make snide remarks about what they have written...

The comments about 'not needing exam papers' is truly ridiculous, it that's the way the system operated when you did your Leaving Cert. that's fine, but for our age-group from first year we worked off examples that derived directly from Exam Papers..

I place the blame for that squarely at the door of 'educational' businesses and institutes.

Unfortunately, many newer teachers have fallen into the easy trap of teaching to the exam instead of teaching the syllabus and now you see the trouble it is causing with the Project Maths syllabus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Considering project maths asks, and expects questions to be answered, in a way which is completely different to what students have been used to for the last ~5 years, I'd say examples are extremely important. Knowing the syllabus isn't the same as knowing how to properly answer a question to gain as many marks as possible. Any of the maths teachers I've had have been adamant that practising questions, particularly past exam questions, are the key to understanding (not just rote learning) the subject, seems strange that your own views seem to be at odds with that...

Advertisement