Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small business expansion.

Options
  • 05-11-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some small advice.

Due to some increase in business I may need to register for Vat in the new year.
    (I run a small furniture workshop from home.)
    Also I have had someone helping me out 2 days a week.
    It started out as a casual thing as and when I needed him, he being self employed and me just writing a cheque for days worked.
    It is now 2 days every week for the foreseeable future and occasionally 3.

Today his social welfare officer called me and advised me to employ him.
    I had been hoping to avoid this and the paperwork that goes with it.

Where do I stand?
    Could he be a subcontractor instead?
    If I employ him are there grants available?

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

get him to be also self employed and pay with c45 forms so this way you dont have to pay any tax or holiday pay for him.

the way the c45s works is say you pay him 100 euro a day well you have to stop 35% on him so you give him a cheque for 65 euro and a c45 for 35 euro. you than send the 35 euro to the revenue and he has to claim that money from them and any taxes will taken out by them when he shows his returns .. best way to do it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Should have took him on as an apprentice ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Uggh.. sorry im not being smart arsed !!

I meant as an internship through the job bridge program ?? Ive read on the boards that its a lot of paperwork also but could be right up your street ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Ok, looked at the revenue site, and it seems that a contractor is either construction, forestry or meat. so that would rule out the RCT/c45 way of doing things?

Does anynoe know of any employment grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

If you are employing someone for more then 30 hours a week and the person who you take on is unemployed for a year you could be entitled to avail of revenue job assist.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it59.html

You may also be entitled to avail of the employers job (PRSI) Incentive scheme.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_insurance_prsi/employer_job_prsi_incentive_scheme.html

Hope this helps

dbran

• Advertisement
Advertisement