Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Canada- Want my Guns from IRE

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Moved to Canada, its great, staying, want to get my 3 guns over here. Currently they are in storage in Dealers (in Ireland), all have valid licence in my name.

Can the dealer send them me here? Is there much paper work?

I have checked the info over here and there is no problem with having them here, just declare them when they arrive, and I will be issued with a temporary permit while Canadian Fac (PAL) is processed.

The forms are funny over here, Defense from wildlife is a valid justification:eek:

What do I need to do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

It might cost a bit and be a lot of hassle. Have you considered selling them and buying different ones over there? You'll get more for them here and buy others for less there. Might be something to consider.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have no idea on the import procedurefrom your side, but according to yourself you seem to have it sorted.

From this side you would need to permanently export the firearm. A dealer can facilitate this for you. You would need to fill in the Personal Firearm Export form attach copies of your licenses (front and back), and then e-mail it all to the address on the form. They process them on Mondays. When you are granted the forms, i would suggest having them delivered to a family member who can take them to the dealers where the guns are stored.

He can pack up the guns, and ship them to you, for a fee i would imagine or you can send him a money order for the guns. Then you need to cancel the licenses using an FCA2. Not sure how this goes with you being out of the country but i don't imgaine t being a problem. Simply fill in the form (FCA2), attach a copy of the export license to show the guns are gone out of the country rather than stored (as you need to provide a location/reason for not wanting/having the guns anymore), and send it to your local station. Or send e-mail/send t to a family member and have them drop it into your station.

I think (highlight the word think) when the gun is exported it cannot be licensed and any license on it gets cancelled anyway, but better safe than sorry.

Alterbatively ring the dealer, and see if he can send/export them for you. However as they are yours and licensed to you i don;t think he can do this without the form above filled in by you.

Also as Hibrion suggested it could be a better option to sell them here, even cheaply, but enough to cover you for the cost of similar guns over there. Alot less hassle, but i suppose that depends on how you are fixed for buying guns in Canada as a non-national. is there a residency law, time frame, etc?

The above is best guess, but its a situation i have never been involved in nor do i know anyone that has so perhaps i have some details wrong, but someone with a better knowledge than me can explain better or clarify the exact procedure.

Good luck in Canada. A place i would love to visit/live.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hairy Hunter

Hibrion wrote: »
    It might cost a bit and be a lot of hassle. Have you considered selling them and buying different ones over there? You'll get more for them here and buy others for less there. Might be something to consider.

Considered it, but want MY guns. Most here arn't used to O/U. Plus I don't like selling.

Ezridax wrote: »
    I have no idea on the import procedurefrom your side, but according to yourself you seem to have it sorted.

From this side you would need to permanently export the firearm. A dealer can facilitate this for you. You would need to fill in the Personal Firearm Export form attach copies of your licenses (front and back), and then e-mail it all to the address on the form. They process them on Mondays. When you are granted the forms, i would suggest having them delivered to a family member who can take them to the dealers where the guns are stored.

He can pack up the guns, and ship them to you, for a fee i would imagine or you can send him a money order for the guns. Then you need to cancel the licenses using an FCA2. Not sure how this goes with you being out of the country but i don't imgaine t being a problem. Simply fill in the form (FCA2), attach a copy of the export license to show the guns are gone out of the country rather than stored (as you need to provide a location/reason for not wanting/having the guns anymore), and send it to your local station. Or send e-mail/send t to a family member and have them drop it into your station.

I think (highlight the word think) when the gun is exported it cannot be licensed and any license on it gets cancelled anyway, but better safe than sorry.

Alterbatively ring the dealer, and see if he can send/export them for you. However as they are yours and licensed to you i don;t think he can do this without the form above filled in by you.

Also as Hibrion suggested it could be a better option to sell them here, even cheaply, but enough to cover you for the cost of similar guns over there. Alot less hassle, but i suppose that depends on how you are fixed for buying guns in Canada as a non-national. is there a residency law, time frame, etc?

The above is best guess, but its a situation i have never been involved in nor do i know anyone that has so perhaps i have some details wrong, but someone with a better knowledge than me can explain better or clarify the exact procedure.

Good luck in Canada. A place i would love to visit/live.

Thanks for the great info, I will get cracking on the paper work

Can anyone recommend a carrier to ship to Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From Ireland the only company i know that do firearms transport is TNT. They are one of only a handful, if not less, that do ship. Sometimes they will do it other times not so much.

The problem is not the same when shipping TO Ireland. As most courier companies have no issues with firearms.

My only advice is to contact any dealer you know, or if there is someone that regularly ships stuff themselves, and ask them what company they use, charges, etc.

One thing though make sure you get a full quote up fornt, and in advance of using them. I've head of people using certain companies and when the item arrived at their door the company wanted a "last minute fee" for some unforeseen charge.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement