Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen/Sunroom Extension Cost - South Dublin

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

We're interested in having our kitchen extended out into the back garden (a kind of sunroom extn) and have had a couple of quotes which varied a lot and am wondering what ball-park figure we should be thinking of?

Very briefly, here is what we envisage: extend kitchen out by around 4.5m and extend the complete width of our 3 bed semi, which is ~6m (kitchen spans this)
    The job would involve the complete removal of the existing back wall of our kitchen and the installation of a RSJs, laying of a concrete foundation, double glazing pvc windows, 3 velux 1x1m roof windows, 9inch cavity wall exterior walls, a lean-to style tiled roof, all the regulation insulation

one quote was for €46k while the other was for €29k - both quotes included VAT and an allowance of €3.5 for replacing the kitchen.
    We found both quotes quite expensive and am wondering if these are typical prices and we just need to wake up a little or if the builders are just somewhat pre-recession.

It was also suggested to me to get an architectural technician to draw up the plans for the whole thing so that a proper comparison could be made - any recommendations for a suitable person?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

gok wrote: »
    We're interested in having our kitchen extended out into the back garden (a kind of sunroom extn) and have had a couple of quotes which varied a lot and am wondering what ball-park figure we should be thinking of?
    the range of your qoutes sounds about right, what muddles the 'rough' qoutes is the details in specification and finishes + what work you need doing to your existing home.
    Very briefly, here is what we envisage: extend kitchen out by around 4.5m and extend the complete width of our 3 bed semi, which is ~6m (kitchen spans this)
    so circa 27msq at a rough starting guestimate of €1000 per sqm gives you a very rough €27g, allowing an additional 20% contingency for the 'unknown unknown' and whatever PC sums for kitchen/ special finishes etc. + maybe some addtional consideration in the drawings/spec for works to your existing house while the work is being done.
    The job would involve the complete removal of the existing back wall of our kitchen and the installation of a RSJs, laying of a concrete foundation,
    therein lies one possible unknown expensive, that's hard to budget for even with detailed drawings and structural input.
    one quote was for €46k while the other was for €29k - both quotes included VAT and an allowance of €3.5 for replacing the kitchen.
    We found both quotes quite expensive and am wondering if these are typical prices and we just need to wake up a little or if the builders are just somewhat pre-recession.
    IF you are talking to the lad in pub then yes Cash prices have dropped but that's not how construction should be approached, there's a very real chance the calibre of guy you'll get in, will take short-cuts or not know the current regulations (a good chance, considering most haven't a clue of the current Regs or requirements anyway). I think the reductions in labour have been somewhat matched by increases in materials. to answer your question, the lower quote seems quiet reasonable, but 3.5g for a kitchen: that sounds like you'll be replacing it again in another 5 years.
    It was also suggested to me to get an architectural technician to draw up the plans for the whole thing so that a proper comparison could be made - any recommendations for a suitable person?
    That's a reasonable suggestion, I'm sure you'll get a few PM's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BryanF wrote: »
    IF you are talking to the lad in pub then yes Cash prices have dropped but that's not how construction should be approached, there's a very real chance the calibre of guy you'll get in, will take short-cuts or not know the current regulations (a good chance, considering most haven't a clue of the current Regs or requirements anyway).

Despite the above quote, you should note that there are many people engaged in Construction projects who are well aware of the current regulations, do not deal solely in cash, and carry all the necessary Insurances, VAT etc.

Also threads in this forum, while often critical of Contractors, are also regurarly critical of the services provided by other Professionals, especially their Fee structure.
    Assuming you supervise a few projects BryanF, how do you find a suitable Contractor.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Despite the above quote, you should note that there are many people engaged in Construction projects who are well aware of the current regulations, do not deal solely in cash, and carry all the necessary Insurances, VAT etc.
    I'm well aware of this an always use these trades.
    martin, this was purely in response to the OP's suggestion that
    am wondering if these are typical prices and we just need to wake up a little or if the builders are just somewhat pre-recession.
    my point was that the 'cash price' or the cheapest quote, is not all that should be considered when picking a contractor and
    not how construction should be approached
    Also threads in this forum, while often critical of Contractors, are also regurarly critical of the services provided by other Professionals, especially their Fee structure.
    yes that's very true
    Assuming you supervise a few projects BryanF, how do you find a suitable Contractor.
    try to look at past work, look for recommendations from archs, use guys I've used before & occasionally asking for a particular foreman/manager to be on the job.

BryanF, many thanks for the clarifications above, very clear.

However I cannot find any reference in the OP, to a Pub, or Cash, you introduced this in reference of a genuine query on cost, and then went on to say.
    there's a very real chance the calibre of guy you'll get in, will take short-cuts or not know the current regulations (a good chance, considering most haven't a clue of the current Regs or requirements anyway).

that's what I was commenting on, just wanted to point out, not every Contractor can be tarred with your brush.

The job would involve the complete removal of the existing back wall of our kitchen and the installation of a RSJs, laying of a concrete foundation, double glazing pvc windows, 3 velux 1x1m roof windows, 9inch cavity wall exterior walls, a lean-to style tiled roof, all the regulation insulation

Agree with figures from BryanF allow 27K for the basic sunroom extention,
    excluding,
    removing the rear wall, RSJ installation etc, this will have to be Specified, Supervised and Certified, so get professional advice,
    also
    with a Lean To roof check the pitch available as Velux have a minimum pitch below which they tend to leak,
    also not included,
    assuming its a standard Semi, you probably have the sink under the rear window, which is being removed, so the services for water, waste will have to be moved, which may involve additional costs, to feed into sewerage system, same with washing machine if applicable.

Difference of 17K between quotes, dig a bit deeper here, must be something missing from the lower one, or more than you think in the higher one.

Definately, make sure he/she will supervise the rear wall removal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

On the non cost side, what roof slope is envisaged for the lean-2?

How will the existing plumbing/rainwater down-pipes and heating pipe-work be catered for?

Are there any sewer-pipe/manholes in back garden?

Just asking as these are the key issues I have come across in this sort of work, especially when builder gets on site and you are hit with extras

In addition, make sure the builder has proper insurance.

martinn123 wrote: »
    BryanF, many thanks for the clarifications above, very clear.
    However I cannot find any reference in the OP, to a Pub, or Cash, you introduced this in reference of a genuine query on cost, and then went on to say.
    fair enough that was certainly a flippant comment on my part. i suppose i should have asked, where the OP gets their price sensitivity? and what price they would expect for works to their home? after getting what seemed like two reasonable quotes (going on the msq and the small amount of info supplied to us here)
    that's what I was commenting on, just wanted to point out, not every Contractor can be tarred with your brush.
    martin, without getting in to the good or bad contractor debate, yes i shouldn't generalise, i know some great guys that do great work. but there are alot of questionable practices happening/ coming to light in the building industry at the moment especially in the retro-fitting sector as its practically the only thing moving.. (and rarely specified or regulated by either arch or building control)

BryanF wrote: »

but there are alot of questionable practices happening/ coming to light in the building industry at the moment especially in the retro-fitting sector as its practically the only thing moving.. (and rarely specified or regulated by either arch or building control)

True, nothing moving in the extention market at present, so the OP can bargain hard on price,

believe there is some work in Retro, around the north side of Dublin, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Hey Gok

Any progress on your extension? This is a very similar extension to what I'm looking to build at the moment. Did you build it in the end? Roughly how much did the RSJ installation cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just out of intrest. I plan on knocking down wall between kitchen and dining room, it'll need an raj. Who specs and sings it off. I was just going yo get a builder to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

TheGrump wrote: »
    Hey Gok

Any progress on your extension? This is a very similar extension to what I'm looking to build at the moment. Did you build it in the end? Roughly how much did the RSJ installation cost?

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 24 billbee

Hi there everybody .does anybody have any idea of Prices on the above and any reputable people that will do it we are just outside Ashbourne .and no problem bringing machinery around the bungalow .We were thinking of something about 14 ft x 13 ft or so ..thanks .:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Billbee

Advertisement