Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Arch. Techn / Draughtsperson to draw up kitchen extension plans

• 05-11-2011 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Looking for a recommendation and if possible a price for an architectural technician or a draughtsperson to put our plans on paper for a kitchen/sun-room single story extension.
    Hoping that this would be something fairly uncomplicated -> 5.5m wide x 4m deep extension to our kitchen which is at the rear of our 3 bed-semi.
    We'd like something ideally which we could hand to a builder and use for a quote and then to have the builder build.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

might be handy if you could give us an indication of your location. Not much pointing in someone recommending you by pm someone in Donegal, if your bases in Bantry, the travelling expenses wouldn't justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gok

Good point :) I'm in Shankill /South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

archtech wrote: »
    recommending you by pm someone in Donegal
    aww shucks. Thanks for thinking of me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As usual keep all recommendations to PMs only please

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Hey all, sorry to hijack now but I could do with the same in the Carlow area. Doing up an old farmhouse and it needs a bit of rejigging inside. Nothing major, just making better use of space and so on. We have some ideas which we'd like to run by someone with a professional eye so we don't miss anything.

Not looking to employ an architect on the job but rather pay someone for a few hours work to look the place over and come back with a few ideas/drawings.

If anyone is at a loose end and is looking for some work in this neck of the woods, give me a shout on PM.

Ta

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Jay, when you say
    jay gatsby wrote: »
    Doing up an old farmhouse and it needs a bit of rejigging inside.
    I recently visited an old house where the owners had borrowed money and spent it on a new kitchen, furniture, insulation in the attic and a bit of dry-lining with a few new PVC windows.

their kitchen is delam'n/ stained, big problems with mould, and the usual issue for us all, is their skint and are now looking for cheap solutions. this may sound harsh but as soon as I hear 'old building', I'd recommend getting the building fabric right first, and sit on an oxfam couch for the couple of year if you have to.
    • is it damp? are you dry-lining and are you aware of the knock on effects on a old building
    • in the kitchen if your tiling etc have you checked the floor for DPC/radon and insulation- the first thing i'd consider is the external level and its relationship to the internal finished floor level
    • are you using appropriate insulation materials that allow the building to continue to breathe -IS the roof ventilated properly?
    • are you re pointing or plastering, are up going to be using Lime?
    • what ventilation are you proposing - I have found recently that even well detailed sensitively refurbished buildings are suffering from moisture issues as the reduced air-leakage has not been balanced with increased mechanical or well place passive stack vents..
    best of luck with your project

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

BryanF wrote:
    • is it damp? are you dry-lining and are you aware of the knock on effects on a old building
    • in the kitchen if your tiling etc have you checked the floor for DPC/radon and insulation- the first thing i'd consider is the external level and its relationship to the internal finished floor level
    • are you using appropriate insulation materials that allow the building to continue to breathe -IS the roof ventilated properly?
    • are you re pointing or plastering, are up going to be using Lime?
    • what ventilation are you proposing - I have found recently that even well detailed sensitively refurbished buildings are suffering from moisture issues as the reduced air-leakage has not been balanced with increased mechanical or well place passive stack vents..
    best of luck with your project

being perfectly honest - some I had considered and some I had not. Damp is not a big issue currently, little bit here and there, some caused by lack of life in the house I feel. we intend to dryline exterior walls only, interior walls will be replastered as necessary with Lime Mortar mix (apologies if my terminology is not correct) rooms do not have vents at present but have been advised that every room should get one to improve air flow and exchange after insulation is done.

Insulation will not be put between 1st and second floor but will be put at roof level when roof is being redone. Wall insulation requires a membrane between it and solid wall I believe to allow air flow and walls to breathe? Type of insulation not decided on yet

Floor insulation - hadn't considered this at all to be honest - would have to discuss it further. Current floors have large gap under floorboards down to which I think prob helps the house to breathe. Same for Radon barrier, mentioned but not much thought put into it.

Thanks for all the points

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jay gatsby wrote: »
    some caused by lack of life in the house I feel.
    I wouldn't presume that
    we intend to dryline exterior walls only,
    in breif (as this has been covered countless times before) if you dry-line you run the risk of creating a Due point (line where the internal moisture condenses otherwise known as interstitial condensation) behind the dry-lining.. this doesn't seem so bad: out of sight out of mind. until the mould eventually come through by which time an old buildings structure is in trouble, your family have respiratory illnesses or the problem has migrated elsewhere else often upstairs to your bedrooms, through the floors etc
    interior walls will be replastered as necessary with Lime Mortar mix
    i would advise you to consider some method of insulation on the external face of external walls using either lime or a natural based rain-screen system - (please note I'm trying to avoid the use of the word breathable as I think you and many confuse its meaning)
    (apologies if my terminology is not correct) rooms do not have vents at present but have been advised that every room should get one to improve air flow and exchange after insulation is done.
    definitely. BUT if you seal up your house properly, consider an active ventilation system that responds to the internal RH and is not reliant on the wind blowing out side.
    Insulation will not be put between 1st and second floor but will be put at roof level when roof is being redone.
    I presume its a dormer/room in roof so consider this Vapour barrier(VB)-insulation-felt relationship carefully
    Wall insulation requires a membrane between it and solid wall I believe to allow air flow and walls to breathe? Type of insulation not decided on yet
    this is exactly what I'm taking about.. do this and might rot your house down... i have seen this done, but vents were installed top and bottom of the plasterboard to vent the insulation - it sort off makes the insulation redundant! but if you dont vent the newly created insulation layer and the due point is to the inside of the VB (what your calling membrane) then the insulation gets wet and you get mould etc
    Floor insulation - hadn't considered this at all to be honest - would have to discuss it further. Current floors have large gap under floorboards down to which I think prob helps the house to breathe.
    it help the house breathe alright but a better word would be 'unregaulted drafts' that'll be around your ankles when you sit down at the end of your day:)
    Same for Radon barrier, mentioned but not much thought put into it.
    i would do more than consider it.

so what started out as
    a bit of rejigging inside. Nothing major,
    is actually a complete retro-fit of a home with a
    lack of life in the house
    which I take to mean unlived in for some time..

I would suggest you take a look here under 0.13 and here

imo neither of these really cover the ventilation or interstitial issues very well but their a start

best of luck - food for thought:)

Advertisement