Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my Visa! - Should I stay or should I go?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi All
    Finally after 8 months post visa application plus another 8 months of prep (skills assessment/ language test/ data gathering etc) I have got my skilled 175 visa! Woohoo...
    Thing is- when I started the process I had a different job which I was unhappy in but now I have now moved to a different role which is far more interesting, challenging if a bit stressful.
    Now that I have my visa I need to decide if/ when to leave. I would love to be there and living a more fulfilled lifestyle but at the same time I'm dreading leaving family, friends, a company I've been in for years (even though i've had a lot of role changes), house which i've lived in for years..etc etc.
    The fact that I put so much energy into getting the visa not to mention paying a lot of money for it means I do want to go but still part of me dreads the big move...what if it's a mistake and I end up feeling lonely and homesick....hmmm what to do!?

Anyone been in similar situation and if so...what did you do???
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Anyone been in similar situation and if so...what did you do???

I'm not being smart but you are asking people who do not know you from Adam to advise you on potentially the biggest decision of your life. Get out and talk to your family and friends.

For what it's worth, I left Ireland in a similar situation to you about 2 years ago (albeit, I did not have to wait or pay for a visa). If I could go back, I would probably stay in Ireland. I'm only in Australia itself 6 weeks though so maybe i will change my mind after experiencing this country for a year or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You single or married etc , have you any family here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you validate your visa you have 5 years to decide before your visa expires, it's not as if you have to make a snap decision.

5 years is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you validate your visa you have 5 years to decide before your visa expires, it's not as if you have to make a snap decision.

5 years is a long time.

Good advice there.

If you have been working for the same company for years is there any chance of getting a career break? That would allow you to sample Aus but have a safety net if you don't like it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Pick whatever you think will make you happier. That's the most important thing. Work to live, not live to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rediguana25

Ya guys thanks I have thought about the work thing and will look into a career break and ya there is no rush since I've a while to keep the visa.
    Zambia Im single and don't have kids so really this is probably the best time for me to go as I don't have these ties.
    Myflipflops- I know as you said people don't know me from Adam but isn't that the point of boards? Of course I can talk to family and friends and have done but it's nice to get a totally different perspective. Also 6 wks is a very short time definitely give Aus a chance- it always takes time to settle in anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Flip a coin

--Heads Australia
    --Tails Ireland

Let the coin land when you see the result if you feel happy go with that if you feel sad do the opposite.

Zambia wrote: »
    Flip a coin

--Heads Australia
    --Tails Ireland

Let the coin land when you see the result if you feel happy go with that if you feel sad do the opposite.
    Haha great advice!! I have discussed it at length this morning and have written up my pros and cons list... I think I know what I have to do! Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You will let us know, right?

catbear wrote: »
    You will let us know, right?

Ya....i gotta go don't i! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Zambia wrote: »
    Flip a coin

--Heads Australia
    --Tails Ireland

Op as Zambia says here flip a coin, its only when the coin is being flipped you'll know which side you want it to land on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ya....i gotta go don't i! ;-)

do it man lifes too short, its all about the memories:)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

I was in your shoes, visa granted '04, didn't leave until '05. Everyone thought I was nuts leaving in boom time but I'd had enough of the madness of that time.
    What you're doing is huge and you're probably better off doing it with less ties. I yo-yo'd a bit for the first two years but that's an expensive game after awhile. Being homesick is inevitable at some stage, you just get on with it, though I still find the shorter evenings coming at the end of March a curse. It's the most mundane things that will sometimes rattle you.
    Skype is wonderful and I read on some other post that Woolies is now stocking Tayto.. obviously a demand is coming from somewhere. There seem to be a lot more Irish arriving in Oz compared to a few years ago or maybe boards is just busier.

It would be a shame to not do it after the effort and time you put in. Mandrake04 and Zambia are on the money with their advice.

Best of luck with your decision, you're lucky to have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

If you have a good job you like and all your friends n family round you, why do you want to come to Austraila.

You need to be able to answer that question cause unless you have family n friends here you'll go from having loads people round you to haven none. Not that you won't make friends but just unless you really want to be here it will be just that bit harder.

Alot us came here for a better life and more oppertunities but sounds like your doing pretty good in Ireland n are happy with life.

Do you really want to give that up in search of something else. Just being devils advocate.

What ever you decide best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

a validation trip is the way to go imo.
    take a month off and go for a holiday, when you come back you will have nearly 5yrs to decide what to do.

Wow lots of great advice there- thanks for taking the time out to reply.
    I guess the main thing is that I have this niggling thing that won't go away and it's saying 'for god's sake woman just bite the bullet and go!'. I guess it must be my gut feeling and the key thing is that I really don't want to be here in years to come regretting not going.
    I know it's a huge change for me since I'll be doing it on my own plus will have to sell car/ rent house/ do all the practical stuff..but for some reason I feel like I need to get it out of my system. I feel this when I'm having times of clarity. I know that clarity on how you feel deep down can often get overshadowed by practicalities of your daily life and there is the risk that i'll panic and say oh for f**k sake what am I doing going through all this upheaval for a completely new life. But really I have to keep getting back to the core thing...the if I don't do i'll regret it thing...the grow a pair and just get on with it thing..I am amazingly lucky to have this choice and it would be a shame to ignore this opportunity.
    I know 100% I'll be homesick but yes skype is great, I also know that if you keep doing the same thing you'll continue to get the same results and i don't want to be still doing the same thing and living in the same place in 5-10yrs time....
    What an amazing chance and as I'm a real believer in trusting your gut I don't think I have any choice than to stop procrastinating, take the leap of faith and say hello or g'day to a new life!

Advertisement