Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle fines for running a red light?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I will kick him to within an inch of their life

internet_tough_guys.jpg

Personally I love cycling but just too much traffic.

Chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Chicken.

I'll take that any day rather than ending up under a truck...:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Exactly, I want a cyclist who intentionally breaks/ignores red lights to hit me as I am legitimately crossing the road so I can kick the absolute crap out of him and take out all my frustrations on him...:mad:
    You really do want to go to jail then?:confused:
    Am afraid I don't know what an "RLJers" is
    Red Light Jumpers

I'll take that any day rather than ending up under a truck...:D

I cycle under trucks every day sparky. It's how I roll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

removed
    My best friend who is an avid cyclist thinks it's nonsense that he should stop at a red light like cars...:confused:

How come you haven't used your immense fighting abilities to take your friend and beat him around the place? have you or is it a case of double standards?

removed

Beasty wrote: »
    You really do want to go to jail then?:confused:

Red Light Jumpers

I wldnt go to jail.....trust me on that one...:D

Too many RLJers (yipee) give cyclists a bad name and too mnay others try to defend them.

CramCycle wrote: »
    removed

How come you haven't used your immense fighting abilities to take your friend and beat him around the place? have you or is it a case of double standards?

removed

LOL...this is hilarious...listen to yourselves

Too many RLJers (yipee) give cyclists a bad name and too mnay others try to defend them.

I think that if you get caught, you would go to jail, contrary to what you may have heard GBH is a crime.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I cycle under trucks every day sparky. It's how I roll.

Well you are John Rambo afterall...;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm not defending any RLJers, but I'm also not defending anyone who takes the law into their own hands. I have no problem with both feeling the full force of the "real" law

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think that if you get caught, you would go to jail, contrary to what you may have heard GBH is a crime.

I know alot more about the laws of this country...as I said trust me..;)

Hilarious.... posters getting all hot and bothered about this comment but no one taking up the general observation about red light jumpers and a lot of cyclists thinking the rules of the road dont apply to them...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Exactly, I want a cyclist who intentionally breaks/ignores red lights to hit me as I am legitimately crossing the road so I can kick the absolute crap out of him and take out all my frustrations on him...:mad:

Sounds like win-win for the rest of society.

I know alot more about the laws of this country...as I said trust me..;)

Hilarious.... posters getting all hot and bothered about this comment but no one taking up the general observation about red light jumpers and a lot of cyclists thinking the rules of the road dont apply to them...:rolleyes:

MOD VOICE: Moved from pedestrian in lanes thread to here as it is slightly closer to being on topic.

Warning to partyguinness, I don't know you from Jack, your knowledge/experience in any legal standings mean nothing here. GBH is illegal, that is a fact. If you are unsure on this, please go to a legal professional or a member of the Gardai and ask.

Feeding time is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Would turning left on a 3 phase traffic light where the traffic is stopped from your right and flowing from your left be considered to be jumping red. There are numerous junctions where a left turn is permitted under these circumstances especially when there is a dedicated left turning lane. At this junction, I treat it as a yield because there is no possibility of conflicting with any other traffic, pedestrian or vehicular. This just seems like common sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Common sense and the "law" are two separate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guy in work was giving out that he was nabbed last week. Though I think he was more annoyed that it was a summons rather than on-the-spot. The Garda was more annoyed at the "disrespect" he'd been shown by my colleague blatantly breaking a light in front of him. Though my collegue claims to have not seen the Guard.
    Even so, they definitely seem to be cracking down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

seamus wrote: »
    Guy in work was giving out that he was nabbed last week. Though I think he was more annoyed that it was a summons rather than on-the-spot. The Garda was more annoyed at the "disrespect" he'd been shown by my colleague blatantly breaking a light in front of him. Though my collegue claims to have not seen the Guard.
    Even so, they definitely seem to be cracking down on it.

Last week I saw two lady cyclists dismount in the middle of the road at a large 3 lane crossroad and walk across the middle of the junction when the lights were against them. Not sure that this is the safer option, though arguably legal... maybe a reaction to the crackdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seamus wrote: »
    The Garda was more annoyed at the "disrespect" he'd been shown by my colleague blatantly breaking a light in front of him

He failed the h'attitude test!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

droidus wrote: »
    Not sure that this is the safer option, though
    arguably legal... maybe a reaction to the crackdown?
    I think in Irish law, wheeling a bike and riding it are the same thing (there is some case law examples of this, iirc): they would need to shoulder the bike, cyclocross style to be legal: 3303134518_ebedd2368c.jpg

• Advertisement

We've been through this havent we? If you're correct, then anyone wheeling their bike on the path would be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

droidus wrote: »
    We've been through this havent we? If you're correct, then anyone wheeling their bike on the path would be illegal.

I've seen cyclists do this on the odd occasion that I look out of the armoured personnel carrier that I use to drop my precious mites to school. Lock 'em up and throw away the key, I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jambalap

I have got court summons in post for breaking red light back in November will be attending court in April hope judge shows some leniency :(

Well, good luck with that.

When cometh the crackdown on Jaywalking? Ive had a few close calls recently with pedestrians crossing the road on a red man at the Harcourt street Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

jambalap wrote: »
    I have got court summons in post for breaking red light back in November will be attending court in April hope judge shows some leniency :(

You will be sentenced to transportation to Australia at your own expense. This new policy has a couple of benefits. Firstly we rid society here of dangerous menaces like yourself. Secondly the unemployment rate goes down as if you are employed, there will be a vacancy, and if unemployed, there is one less of you. Enjoy the trip!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Judge will see it in Black and white terms...

Gard: I observed Jambalap breaking a red light.
    Judge: Guilty or not guilty
    Jambalap: Guilty
    Judge: €€Fine!

Unless you want to engage a solicitor for your appearance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

work-5739219-2-figwhiteshortsleeve_one_pieceffffff-if-you-cant-do-the-time-then-dont-kermit-the-crime-v3.jpg?w=300&h=188

In all seriousness - good luck. Wear a nice suit, show a bit of humility and don't make the judge swear the Guard in and you might catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Judge will see it in Black and white terms...

Jambalap: Guilty
    Judge: €€Fine!

Unless you want to engage a solicitor for your appearance?

Or

Jambalap: Not Guilty
    Judge: You expect me to believe your word over the Gards. €€€€€€Fine!

stevieob wrote: »
    Or

Jambalap: Not Guilty
    Judge: You expect me to believe your word over the Gards. €€€€€€Fine!

Or

Judge: Gard?
    Judge: Case dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Jawgap wrote: »
    Wear a nice suit

And a camera on your head

Advertisement