Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Genetics??

• 05-11-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Am doing leaving cert this year and am hoping to do SOME sort of genetics in college. Anyone doing genetics here? What do you think of the course and (honestly!) how do you think it compares with other colleges? Do you think it's better to do general genetics rather than the tcd "human genetics" course? And finally whats accommodation like in cork? Gonna be accomadating and will be first time away from home so looking for a good review of the area!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Right I had an answer typed but boards deleted it :p

Basically I live with 2 genetics students and did Biochem last year. Most of the moduels are the same in first year apart from one. Firts year in Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths. be warned though Chem, Phys and Maths can be quite tough. Girls only did 5 credit of Genetics last year. This year seems ot be similer enough. They do alot of Zoology, Biochemistry, Microbiology this year. Any in detail questions though PM me and Ill get the girls ot answer no bother! :)

Accom in Cork is good. All very close together and feel free to read the accom reviews thread up at the top of the page! If youve any enquiries about Vic Lodge I lived there last year! All the student residences are close togther so craic can always be found!

As for TCD course, here isnt the bets place to ask. Ask in the TCD forum. We wouldnt really know much about that course down here in UCC :p

Anythin else feel free to PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gindle

Cheers for that! i dont do physics in LC but i assume that thats ok for first year?

Gindle wrote: »
    Cheers for that! i dont do physics in LC but i assume that thats ok for first year?

The Physics is pretty tough. A lot of people struggle with it. Its only for one year but its a long year with it.

Would it be bad enough that i should do a genetic course w/o phys?

Gindle wrote: »
    Would it be bad enough that i should do a genetic course w/o phys?

I honestly cant answer that for you. Are you generally good at science and good at Maths? If you are you'll fly it. If you put the work in you'll pass it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Hey, I'm in my second year of Genetics so PM me for specific questions about the course!
    Physics is not a requirement and barely anyone had done it before coming into college. I'm not going to lie, it's very tough and it takes up 15 out of 60 credits for the year and then you never have to do physics again-it seems a bit pointless. I passed it with not a lot of effort though, you'll go into the summer exam with marks from labs and problem sets that you do throughout the year so passing shouldn't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

That module haunted me!!*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 5 teafornine

The physics is a problem for some, but it's not so bad that people can't do it (if this was the case, they'd make it easier).
    What you should know if you want to do genetics is that there isn't enough genetics in the UCC genetics course. It's ~one module a year of actual genetics modules (GN0000) as opposed to micro, or molecular bio etc. (microbial genetics and molecular genetics are of course crucial, but the overall effect is that of a course consisting of spare parts, not purpose built.)
    Also, almost all microorganisms (E. coli, yeast), little multicellular (~no human).
    By the end, a lot of students are unhappy with the content. All that said, some people get on really really well, living in Cork is great, and I loved being on the course, but if you can get TCD, do. I imagine if you wanted to do microbial signaling you'd be asking us about UCC's microbiology course.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

If you are interested in Micro,im currently in 3rd year,Genetics do a lot of the same modules as us and it is indeed aimed a lot more at Prokaryotes as thats what we tend to work with more and all 11 of our modules are micro based(MB----)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 OnMeTache

Anyone that's worried about that physics module can just do Mossie Crowes four hour revision course at the end of the year. whole course condensed and exam Q's answered. Best €40 I ever spent. Got an 80% with very little work and very poor lecture attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DavidDaly

This is probobly gonna be the worst case of all of them but Im in leaving cert this year and all I do is Biology and pass maths should I not bother or is it manageable with hard work which trust me I will do

DavidDaly wrote: »
    This is probobly gonna be the worst case of all of them but Im in leaving cert this year and all I do is Biology and pass maths should I not bother or is it manageable with hard work which trust me I will do

I ended up doing human genetics in trinity, but I'd assume the courses are similar except we don't have to do physics :D chemistry is a difficult subject to grasp but mos colleges do prep courses for people who never did chem, and my lecturer started from the basics :) pass maths shouldn't be a problem as long as you're willing to improve on it, the only problem with pass maths is thy you'll need a highish LC grade in it and it'll be harder to get into science without those extra points!

Advertisement