Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for drinkers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Acacia wrote: »
    You summed him up pretty well :pac: Yeah, judgemental people of either gender are very annoying!

judgemental people of either drinker or non-drinker too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

My boyfriend doesnt drink, never has done, its ok though i keep our quota up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

judgemental people of either drinker or non-drinker too!!

Agreed! I'm not looking forward to breaking the news to some of my friends that I'm giving up drinking, I might as well be saying I'm giving up breathing!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭ameliadad

Gave up drinking for a year back in 2009. It can be tough sometimes going out with your mates when they're off their faces. You can still have a good night out though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

horsemeat wrote: »
    I don't think people are honestly aware of the damage alcohol does to the body.
    it's a toxin.
    some people seem to think it's a gift from the Gods with no negative consequences

I think most are aware the day after a good session. It's just everyone seems to forget by the time the next weekend comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i give up drink for a month every now and then, as I am for november now. The weight falls off me and my body needs a break because im a typical weekend binge drinker usually.

Anyway, the looks you get off people when you say youre not drinking, like "whos the weirdo".....these are people who know i can drink them under the table when i do drink. for some reason people feel very uncomfortable when one member of the group isnt drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Godot. wrote: »
    Would you date someone that doesn't drink alcohol and wouldn't judge you on how much you drink, or would you not because you'd worry too much about whether the person is having a good time on a night out?

I'm currently an extremely heavy drinker and have been going out
    with my other half for the last decade. She has never drunk alcohol in her entire life, and me I love it, has not caused any issues so far in the relationship
    apart from my ever growing beer belly and snoring after a few pints.

~B

I couldn't go out with a non-drinker. Drinking, going to the pub and big nights out etc play too much of a role in my life, it couldn't work with a non-drinker. I also wouldn't like not being able to go and get drunk with the person I was going out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Honestly don't care if they drink or not.

It's them judging me that I'd have the biggest problem with. I just don't put myself in those situations to get in relationships with people who'd have a problem with something I enjoy doing.

Sort of like going out with a non-smoker who feels they must enlighten you constantly on how bad smoking is and calculate up how much you spend every week.

Cant really add to that other than to echo its message. If you like someone and they like you, smoking/drinking or lack of it is irrelevant. I practice what i preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't give a sh*t whether someone drinks or not. I haven't drank alcohol at all during certain periods in my life so who cares if someone drinks or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Drinking, going to the pub and big nights out etc play too much of a role in my life

do you not think, reading back on that, that you might have a bit of a dependence issue with the oul gargle there no?

Helix wrote: »
    do you not think, reading back on that, that you might have a bit of a dependence issue with the oul gargle there no?

I should have said social life rather than life which wouldnt look so bad. So no I don't. I just enjoy the craic and often have a few nights out per week. All my friends also drink and like a good big session so I can't see how a non drinker could enjoy being out regularly being the only one sober.

Its much better with someone who is into the same craic rather than have to be missing out on nights etc to do other things with a non-drinker.

I should have said social life rather than life which wouldnt look so bad. So no I don't. I just enjoy the craic and often have a few nights out per week. All my friends also drink and like a good big session so I can't see how a non drinker could enjoy being out regularly being the only one sober.

Its much better with someone who is into the same craic rather than have to be missing out on nights etc to do other things with a non-drinker.

you do realise non drinkers can go to pubs too right? since when does "the craic" refer exclusively to drinking? this mentality is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

why would you be worried about how the non drinker is faring? it's typical of what was mentioned a few posts back, the drinkers asking the non drinkers if "they're alright?" when they're perfectly fine, just YOU don't get how they can manage a social situation without alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Going out with a non drinker wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't drink that often to be honest, maybe once a month and never with the intention of getting drunk which seems to be the norm (all this ****e of pre-drinking??)

I can take it or leave it. I'd nearly be happier going out with a girl that didn't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Held off on the beer last night. Two of the lads were drinking and two of us were on soft drinks and a good night was had by all. The two lads on the beer decided to have a dance off in an attempt to see who could meet the most women on the dance floor, cue much merriment. Pretty decent band too which helps. I might never drink again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Godot. wrote: »
    Would you date someone that doesn't drink alcohol and wouldn't judge you on how much you drink, or would you not because you'd worry too much about whether the person is having a good time on a night out?

I would and I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

last weekend i was chatting to a young lady who when she realised i didn't drink started harping on about non-drinkers having something to hide and that it was never going to work between us. all this about 15 minutes after i first started talking to her.
    in the previous 15 minutes she was going on about how her soon to be ex-husband had left her 5 weeks before, left her with a 7 month old baby for a 23 year old, had spent all his time on his computer, how she was determined to get the house off him. i didn't even find out her name.

so yeah, looks like i had problems with not drinking...

In fairness ballsy she sounds like a nightmare regardless of her views on drink....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If she didn't drink, how'd you convince her that she'll enjoy having her back door kicked in????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

you do realise non drinkers can go to pubs too right? since when does "the craic" refer exclusively to drinking? this mentality is the problem

Are you sure you do have a few drinks, or do you simply enjoy judging other for what they find fun?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I sometimes wonder if a drinker's problem with a non-drinker not that the person is actually judging them, but that the drinker is afraid to judge themselves cause they know deep down, they do drink too much.

I mean, I've talked before of "plots" to get me drunk; I often find that there's a complete lack of respect amoung a sizable majority with regards my lack of drinking. I couldn't care less about what drinkers do, but for some reason, people I used to call my friends got obsessed with getting me drunk to the extent I was afraid to be around them....

Are you sure you do have a few drinks, or do you simply enjoy judging other for what they find fun?

the only people im judging are the "ah sure go on have a drink" brigade, and the "what the feck is wrong with you and your soft drinks" brigate. the people who dont actually realise that you can go out and not get locked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

To flip the question around a bit, I don't think I could go out with someone who regularly went out drinking. I don't really drink on nights out, although I do have a weakness for good scotch, but not much else. I don't see the point in putting something into your mouth you don't like the taste of.

People won't like this, and I don't say it all that often, but I do personally think a bit less of people who only ever seem to go drinking. I'm all up for the odd mad night, and I have definitely been part of them (although I tend not to get that drunk, I just don't like the feeling of being drunk), but if that's your only way of relaxing/ stress relief/ having fun... well. I think that's kinda sad, tbh. I also think it's a giant waste of money. Then again I'm totally broke, so obviously that'll colour my perception.

I fully expect to get told I am either a dry shite, holier-than-thou, up myself, or lots of other choice phrases. Fair enough if that's what you want to think.

I do also think it's funny how pissed off folks are getting of non-drinkers 'judging them' when they are doing the exact same thing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

the only people im judging are the "ah sure go on have a drink" brigade, and the "what the feck is wrong with you and your soft drinks" brigate. the people who dont actually realise that you can go out and not get locked

No, you're not. Nox said that, and you think that means he has a problem. simply because he doesn't want to drink with non-drinkers, that's not a sign of a problem, I'd be uncomfortable being the only one drinking in a room of non-drinkers, and for that reason I'd assume the opposite is true for non-drinkers. He said nothing about judging those who don't drink. You have a very high horse there Helix.
    I couldn't go out with a non-drinker. Drinking, going to the pub and big nights out etc play too much of a role in my life, it couldn't work with a non-drinker. I also wouldn't like not being able to go and get drunk with the person I was going out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

In the past, I would have thought I couldn't date a non-drinker for the reasons you said. But now I live in a country where drinking isn't as common, and a lot of people I hang out with on nights out don't drink.

Some of them will always come up to you the next day, full of tales about what you said or did, but some are completely sound and no matter how big an ass you made of yourself they never ever point it out - I could definitely date someone like that.

Advertisement