Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify the book from my sketchy memory

Options
  • 05-11-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 31 JonnyMacM

I remember reading a book(possibly a series) that was set during a large war and the main characters of the book where dragon riders who preformed air-to-air and i think air-to-ground combat against each other. it very much had a the feeling of a WW1 story following fighter pilots.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern" series perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

The book was written by Chris Bunch
    Dragonmaster Trilogy
    Storm of Wings (2002)
    Knighthood of the Dragon
    The Last Battle (2004)
    I bought an omnibus edition in Chapters used bookstore on Parnell St in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JonnyMacM

MajorMax is right. I don't know where my original copies of the book went to, I must have lent them out and never seen them again. £6.99 for the trilogy and instant gratification straight to my Kindle :-)
    Thanks for the help everyone
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Bunch#Dragonmaster_Trilogy

this one's a bit earlier if you liked them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JonnyMacM

as fan of Sharpe's exploits as well i am sure this will be right up my street, thanks bluewolf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

JonnyMacM wrote: »
    as fan of Sharpe's exploits as well i am sure this will be right up my street, thanks bluewolf.
    The Temeraire series of novels by Naomi Novik is composed of His Majesty's Dragon (released as Temeraire in the United Kingdom), Throne of Jade, Black Powder War, Empire of Ivory, Victory of Eagles, and Tongues of Serpents. The novels are works of both fantasy and alternate history: they are "a reimagining of the epic events of the Napoleonic Wars with an air force — an air force of dragons, manned by crews of aviators"

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Chris Bunch also wrote another trilogy of books called the seer King trilogy which is very very good. It's the Napoleonic wars with Magicians and monsters

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bluewolf wrote: »
    this one's a bit earlier if you liked them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series)

Temeraire is a great read, must get round to reading the sequels. I hope peter jackson gets around to filming it to!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Another series that sounds like it is the darkness series by harry turtledove a world 2 type story but has dragons and other beast instead of planes and tanks

Advertisement